Your reaction to being swept by that one poke you forgot about

Please forgive any typos, sorry to the mods that find that this topic doesn't premote discussion.

Say you just made a new team, you carfully planed it out, but you go on wifi/shoddy and are dealt with a devistateing blow when you forgot about a powerful sweeper or a supreme wall. Having been defeated, what do you do?

Do you just go on battleing, hopeing that one poke will never pop up again? do you go on fighting saying to yourself "oh.. he just killed my heracross who could of outrun him and pursuited him" or do you go strait back to the drawling board and rearrange the team trying to counter that poke, as well as putting in the essentual walls/sweepers/Rapidspinner as well as the less important Phazor/Antispinner/wishpasser.

How do you people react?

I try to improve coverage against that pokemon and it's types- if for example I was swept by a fighter, I would try to cover that type better and by extension the little bastard who wrecked my day.

I remember getting swept by a Lucario. It was their last pokemon and I had it at 1% but I couldn't stop the sweep and he won. It was a heartbreaker. I added one to my team right after that and showed others what a Lucario could do.

I do the latter of your reaction list (BAck to the drawing board).

As I recently learnt, my Team can be swept greatly by Togekiss and Starmie.

After I get over the initial "WTF!!!" stage, I'd usually go back and re-analyze my team to see if it's an acceptable risk or if I misplayed or whatever. After all, you can't counter everything with only 6 Pokemon sadly.

After I get over the initial "WTF!!!" stage, I'd usually go back and re-analyze my team to see if it's an acceptable risk or if I misplayed or whatever. After all, you can't counter everything with only 6 Pokemon sadly.
that's a very good point. with just so many pokes out there is noway to counter every single poke and the combination of the 5 other pokes watching its back. but there is obviously a way to make a team that can counter several standard things such as Heracross or toge, we just sometimes forget.

I got swept by a porygon-z when I had a pokemon in my team to counter it that I forgot about. Usually when something like that happens I redo my entire team.

I remember I had just finished my team (this is a long time ago), and with my first battle, I faced a Yanmega lead. That battle lasted seven turns...

I added Heatran and then started using Yanmega myself :P.

I got stomped by a subbing/calm minding jirachi the other night.

Once I let it get a few off it ate me alive. I was just kinda dumbfounded, cuz it's hardly something you worry about when building a team. For that reason I didn't really change my team, just rethought how I should handle the situation if it were to come up again.

1. Denial
2. Anger
3. Sadness
4. Acceptance
5. Reimagine team, seek the bastard out and defeat him in blood-stained duel.

Subseed sceptile and Mamoswine always give me problems. Needless to say, I now use a Subseed sceptile myself and I added a Cresselia to my team to take out Mamoswine.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Usually I attempt to consider every possibility when building teams, but if I do miss something and realize it in any way, I usually edit my team as to accommodate that weakness.

For some reason, lots of people are weak to Medichams with +2 attack and +6 speed (including me).
Of course, in an attempt to stay on topic, there was the time I had my first three pokes downed by a lead Probopass, ugh.

I used my Bronzong to explode and kill a Salamence w/ 2 DDs, and the opponent sends out Mamoswine, proceeding to rape my counterless team... very, very, badly. I'm still trying to rework it =[

Of course, back then I was like, "LAWL, mamoswine", but now, its, "FUCK, mamoswine." XD

Please forgive any typos, sorry to the mods that find that this topic doesn't premote discussion.

Say you just made a new team, you carfully planed it out, but you go on wifi/shoddy and are dealt with a devistateing blow when you forgot about a powerful sweeper or a supreme wall. Having been defeated, what do you do?

Do you just go on battleing, hopeing that one poke will never pop up again? do you go on fighting saying to yourself "oh.. he just killed my heracross who could of outrun him and pursuited him" or do you go strait back to the drawling board and rearrange the team trying to counter that poke, as well as putting in the essentual walls/sweepers/Rapidspinner as well as the less important Phazor/Antispinner/wishpasser.

How do you people react?
I just hope I never see again, or find out a way to get around it.

It depends on how I lost...

Sometimes a loss can simply be due to luck (like trying to get through confusion). If it's a loss like that, then I'll play again. Luck based losses don't really account for anything. If a loss is due to a specific pokemon, then I'll go back and analyze why I lost. Was it due to not having a specific move, or was it due to the fact that I simply don't have any pokemon that can deal with the specific pokemon? Should I have equipped a better item (like Life Orb over Expert Belt), or should I have led with a different pokemon?

These kinds of questions are what I ask myself when I lose.

well, if something like this happened to me, i would battle lets say 5 more people and if i lose, then i'd go back to the drawing board.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Usually I give myself a headache and attempt to re-fix the team. Usually if I did do something, it's something that's probably minor (unless I missed something VITALLY important). Actually, VERY recently on my team I've thought of using both Stealth Rock and Spikes, but when you lack someone else that uses Stealth Rock (barring your sweeper) you start to wonder which is better.

Anyways, usually I try to rethink of the battle and find the mistake. If it was because I played poorly, then I just remember to play it out better next time. If it was because of an error, then I re-build the team and attempt to patch it up, whether it's a certain move, a new teammate, or an entirely new team.

EDIT: Goddamn I hate Swords Dance Garchomp.

DawnBringer

The thrill of attempting to get what you will neve
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
100% of the time I will have the pokemon covered, 100% of the time I will let my counter die too early. Always happens >.<
Then I go back to the drawing board and see what could replace what to see if it makes anything better.

I do the Battle Tower/Battle Frontier (I lean towards the Frontier more since it's better), and I can't forget about it. They'll come back, always. When my team was Houndoom weak, I ignored it and was downed three times by that son-of-a Fire Blast/Crunch demon. Same with Miltank, Kangaskhan, etc. When this happens I sometimes boycott, other times just keep going only to get downed by cheapness or the same Pokemon again.

But with only three Pokemon, I'm kind of battered in. When I had two specials (Latios and Gengar), I kept getting Shadow Balled. I run two physicals, and I have problems with Scizor and Heracross, and I get nervous every time any Snorlax comes out. I don't think there's any way to easily cover all my weaknesses in a three-man team.

Despite how much I love Mamoswine, I forget about it when I build teams. I am kinda attached to dragons and t tar, so I end up getting raped and have to reconstruct the team. Mamoswine rapes so many things... thats why I run Bronzong on 9/10 of my teams.

Gmax

kuahahahaha
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Mostly its an "OH YEAH! I KNEW I FORGOT SOMETHING! :facepalm:", but usually I just move on and edit my team to cover it.

Usually I forget about Lucario and Gyarados... which sucks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)