Your Teambuilding Philosophy

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
I think that a mistake many players make, and one i certainly made during a certain period, is to approach their teambuilding in a completely reactive way. What I mean by this is you build your team with the mindset "I'll use A cause it is a B switchin, then i'll use D cause C switches into A" and so on. The better method of teambuilding in my opinion is to specifically select something you want to use, say Arceus-Electric, then build with it without forcing yourself to use the other five mons. there are certain mons that i'm sure everybody hates but that they've been pretty much forced to use, say Defog Scizor, because of its compression capabilities, and this will always happen to a degree. Making reactive teams will get you nowhere however as you'll then play reactively for the whole game, meaning that your opponent dictates the pace, and it also means that your switchins can be very predictable and easily taken advantage of.

I think you see this a lot with Defog + Ho-Oh teams because the mindset seems to be "let me switch in my Defog user as the SRs are set up cause i need Ho-Oh for X Y Z" which then leads to giving your opponent all the initiative and a bunch of turns, AND they'll probably just poison your Defog user and win anyway.

I also see (and have built myself) Ho-Oh teams that fall into some kind of weird balance category, which ends up being really bad as you rely on Ho-Oh for all your offensive capability and also to soak up hits, so when Ho-Oh falls you end up with 5/6ths of a bad balance/stall team that can't serve the purpose of supporting Ho-Oh. In fact, i'm going to ask Fireburn to weigh in on this too as i remember a similar argument that he and Melee Mewtwo had in the viability thread.

Basically, when building teams you should make sure that you don't pidgeonhole yourself into using something that you hate using just because it "fits" unless absolutely necessary, I'd say that you should proactively choose at least 3 teammembers and then sow the rest of the team together from there.

P.S. sorry Melee Mewtwo if this counts as thread necromancy

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)