ORAS OU You're Dead!(Peaked ~75)[Went 38-2]

false

maybe this is heaven
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Before I say anything, I just want to mention something. I started a YouTube channel about 2 weeks ago. I've made a few videos, and I plan to use this team in a Live very soon. I'd appreciate if you checked it out. You don't have to, it's completely optional. I just felt like the best way to grow and improve is through exposure, so I might as well start here. You can click here if you're interested. I hope you enjoy the content, but keep in mind, I've just started. Be gentle :]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're Dead! Wallpaper.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, with that out of the way, Hi everyone. As of the last couple months or so I've really been making strides playing this game. I remember late last year, when I first peaked top 500 on the ladder. I was using Sticky Web + VenuTran. It was terrible. Now I'm at a different place. As of very recently I've really been making strides. I peaked 4th on the ladder with a previous RMT that I made but I still didn't feel like I was finished. Admittedly I think my peak had a lot to do with good timing, as I achieved it just after the Landorus-I suspect had finished, and the meta was re-adjusting to life without it. If I'm honest, I think I'm best playing Stall or Semi-Stall, because frankly I don't think I'm a very skilled player. However I am smart, I know how to make calculated plays. I feel Semi-Stall is the easiest playstyle to make calculated plays from. You have a switchin to most things, and therefore can play on a 'read and react' basis, making it easiest for yourself. With that in mind, and knowing I wanted to build a new team, I wanted to test myself. I wanted to build a team that was much more offensively inclined than what I was comfortable with. Whilst the finished product is by no means Hyper Offense, it is much more offensively inclined than what I was originally comfortable with. Anyway, I can already see that this intro is getting too long. Most of you have probably skipped over this by now, so I'm just going to hop into the team.

The Squad

Because I was 'forcing' myself to build an offensively inclined team, I decided that I might as well use one of my favourite Pokemon, Gengar. It was something that never seemed to fit on the Semi-Stall builds I was comfortable playing, but something I had wanted to use for so long.

Lopunny was my next addition. I felt like the best way to take advantage of Gengar's great offensive typing was to lure in things that Gengar could easily beat, namely Psychic and Fairy types. Lopunny is not only a great way to bait in Faries and Psychics, but it also beats things that are annoying for Gengar, such as Assault Vest Tornadus-T, as well as bulky Steels like Heatran and Ferrothorn.

At this point I decided I wanted to go with a hazard stacking team. Gengar and Lopunny both force a lot of switches so I felt like employing a hazard stacking strategy would be the best way to take advantage of this. I looked through many options but decided on Klefki, simply because the utility it provided could not be matched by the likes of Ferrothorn or Skarmory.

I am very fond of winning the hazard war. I believe that, as important as entry hazards are made out to be, they're still underrated. Being able to take away your opponents HP just for switchin in is an insane effect, and something I wanted to take full advantage of. Bisharp is the only relevant Defiant user in the tier, acting as a Defog deterrent. It also managed to fit nicely with the rest of the team thus far. Klefki provides Thunder Wave support which is fantastic because it mitigates Bisharp's underwhelming speed, and Gengar and Lopunny are fantastic at weakening cores, making it much easier for Bisharp to Pursuit trap weakened Pokemon.

So it was at this point in teambuilding where I really started to feel like the team was missing answers for a lot of common Pokemon. I wasn't completely comfortable having to sack most times vs things like Medicham, Lopunny, and Charizard-X. So I decided to fall back a little bit, and go with a mainstay of mine, something reliable, and a great pivot for this team with Regenerator, Slowbro.

Lastly, I didn't have Stealth Rock yet, and I was also incredibly weak to Charizard-Y, Manectric, and Scizor. Heatran fit the bill.
I actually went 38-2 with this team over my first 40 games. Ironically the 2 games I lost were both to Thunderbolt paras + full paras on the same turn. Whatever, hax is part of Pokemon right? I can't complain :] I ended up going 43-4 before feeling like the team had proven its worth. I mean, think about it for a second, I'm bad, and I managed to pilot the team to 38-2. Imagine what could happen if this team was in the hands of a competent player.
Screen Shot 2015-07-25 at 8.54.54 am.png
When I was making this team, I spent almost the entire time listening to FlyLo. I don't usually nickname my Pokemon but I was feeling inspired, and I decided to nickname all my Pokemon after FlyLo tracks. This also gave me an easy title for the RMT, which is great because I suck at making up good titles.
@

|

Never Catch Me (Gengar)
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Shadow Ball |
|
Sludge Wave |
|
Focus Blast |
|
Taunt |
|
What you see is exactly what you get with Gengar. I don't think you'll ever find a team that is happy to see Gengar sitting across from them at team preview. Gengar has fantastic offensive typing and boasts unresisted coverage, as well as hitting the coveted 110 Speed tier. Gengar also has sneakily good defensive typing, with resistances/immunities to common offensive types such as Fighting, Ground, and Fairy, as well as Grass, Bug, Normal, and Poison. Gengar is as much of a threat to Stall as it is to Balance, and Offense. Not only does Gengar excel at weakening opposing cores, if that job is already done Gengar is just as effective as a late game cleaner. Gengar crushes all the fat mons people are using these days. Slowbro, Clefable, Mew, Chansey, Hippowdon, Skarmory are all blown away and easily 2HKOd (except for Chansey, which can't touch Gengar) Gengar also happens to be a Spinblocker, what more could you want?

How to use Gengar:
On this team Gengar's Ground immunity has to be greatly utilised, because nothing else on my team resists Ground. Sub Pass Lopunny forms a godly tandem with this Gengar, especially against Stall. The ability to give Gengar a free switchin behind a sub is incredible, and makes it much more threatening. Usually I try to bring Gengar in on doubles or Baton Passes from Lopunny because Gengar is very frail and doesn't really take anything but resisted hits. Once it's in, just spam attacks and weaken the opposing core. Taunt to prevent stray Thunder Waves or to prevent opposing Pokemon from Recovering.
@
upload_2015-7-25_21-24-12.png

|

Dead Man's Tetris (Mega-Lopunny)
Ability: Limber --> Scrappy
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Frustration |
|
High Jump Kick |
|
Substitute |
|
Baton Pass |
|
Yes, I know you see Frustration > Return, Lopunny hates me. Call me a bad Trainer. However, more onto the topic, Sub Pass Lopunny is insane. I don't think I could count the amount of times I've subbed on Ferrothorn or Hetran's Protect, I'd guess the number would similar to the amount of times I've subbed on a Will-O-Wisp from Mew or Mega-Sableye. All the time. It never ceases to amaze me how many 'free' Substitutes Lopunny can get. Whether its staying in regular form, dodging Thundurus' Thunder Wave with Limber, and then Subbing. Whether its Mega Evolving, and Baton Passing out, just as the opponent's Hippowdon comes in. I mean, its not like the Sub just benefits Lopunny either. Gengar, as I previously mentioned, is an amazing recipient, so is Bisharp. I don't know what else I'm supposed to say. This is standard Lopunny, just a lure version. Lopunny lures Gengar fodder like nothing else can. Hippowdon, Slowbro, Mew, Clefable, Bulky Garchomp, Defensive Landorus, Celebi, Venusaur, Chesnaught, Skarmory the list goes on and on and on, and all of it is a light snack for Gengar. Being able to generate free switches into Pokemon is amazing, and with the hazard support, Baton Pass generates even more switches, just racking up the damage.

How to use Lopunny:
To be honest, the description already explained it. I mean, other than the Sub Pass part, standard Lopunny is very simple, and easy to use. It basically works the same as Gengar. Unresisted coverage, high speed, so just come in, spam attacks to weaken cores. Baton Pass on predicted Protects, Will-O-Wisps etc. I'm sure you get the idea by now.

@

|

Obligatory Cadence (Klefki)
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
Foul Play |
|
Thunder Wave |
|
Magnet Rise |
|
Spikes |
|
Ahh Klefki. Somehow it never fails to impress. I mean, for a set of keys, these things can really put in some serious work. Thunder Wave spam is the name of the game with Klefki. Well... that and setting up layers. Thunder Wave has some serious utility for this team however. Being able to paralyse Latios, Starmie, and Mew make it that much easier to Pursuit trap them with Bisharp, and by extension, that much easier to win the hazard war. Thunder Wave also allows for both Gengar and Lopunny to have an easier time sweeping, not having to deal with those stupid offense breakers like Mega-Aerodactyl, and Mega-Alakazam. I went with Foul Play over Play Rough because Foul Play makes me stronger vs SD Bisharp, and SD Scizor, two things I'm otherwise not great against. Foul Play still does a serviceable amount to the fast Special attackers of the tier like the Lati twins and Gengar anyway. The EVs live 2 Jolly Life Orb Iron Heads from Bisharp after Stealth Rock, with the rest pumped into Special Defense. The Special Defense originally wasn't for anything in particular, but ended up being quite convenient. 56 SpDef means you live 2 Hyper Voices from Modest Gardevoir after Stealth Rock, and 2 Hyper Voices from Specs Sylveon without Rocks. Considering Klefki is the go to switchin to Faries on the team, I feel like the SpDef investment is warranted.

How to use Klefki:
Thunder Wave spam is the name of the game. Try to paralyse as many things as possible, but not at the cost of getting up layers. Threats like Mega-Alakazam, Mega-Gardevoir, Sylveon and SD Mega-Scizor should be paralysed immediately, in an effort to limit the damage they can do. Don't worry about paralysing fat mons like Slowbro and Chansey, just get up as many layers as you can. However, don't go crazy throwing Klefki into the line of fire, it's not that bulky and needs to be brought in on the right matchups. If you identify a threat in the team preview, make sure you keep Klefki around to deal with it. Make sure you use Klefki to neuter the biggest threats to the team, don't just sit in with Klefki clicking Thunder Wave 6 times. Be smart about it.
@

|

Ready err Not (Bisharp)
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
Knock Off |
|
Iron Head |
|
Sucker Punch |
|
Pursuit |
|
'Ready err Not' the nickname really fits for Bisharp. If you don't come prepared for Bisharp, you've probably already lost. The Thunder Wave support combined with Bisharp's incredible power is really a great combination. Now I have had suggestions to change Pursuit to Swords Dance, and Life Orb to Black Glasses. So let me explain why I made the set choices I did, because what I've chosen really does make the most sense. Firstly, because I want Bisharp to be an effective Pursuit trapper, I have to run a bit of bulk. This is just a standard spread, ensured to live Life Orb Latios' HP Fire after Stealth Rock ensuring you trap the Lati. That being the case, no point in running Jolly right? I mean... with the Thunder Wave Support and Lopunny and Gengar already dealing fantastically with fast paced offense builds, Bisharp might as well tailor make itself to best do its job, hit as hard as possible, and have the best chance to trap things. Pursuit is needed to trap things like Starmie, Latios, and Mew in order to win the hazard war, however, because Bisharp is Adamant it can also effectively trap Slowbro. Pursuit has other utility, hitting things like Hoopa, and Gothitelle. I mean hey, I've even used Bisharp to Pursuit trap a Banded Scizor locked into Bullet Punch. As for why I chose Life Orb over Black Glasses? Just look at the difference.
Black Glasses: 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 294-348 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Life Orb: 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 382-452 (96.9 - 114.7%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
Black Glasses: 252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 118-139 (32.5 - 38.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Life Orb: 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 153-181 (42.1 - 49.8%) -- 86.7% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
How to use Bisharp:
Pursuit trap the opponent's hazard removal, and Knock Off items from annoying Pokemon like Heatran, Ferrothorn, Rotom-Wash etc. Bisharp is also a nice way to clean up a game. Life Orb Adamant Sucker Punch hits like a truck.
@

|

Cold Dead (Slowbro)
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
Scald |
|

Psyshock |
|

Calm Mind |
|

Slack Off |
|

At this point in teambuilding, I was looking to cover my weaknesses. Weaknesses to pokemon like Keldeo, Mega-Charizard-X, Mega-Lopunny, Mega-Medicham, CM Suicune, and Landorus. If you hadn't picked up yet, Slowbro beats all of these. Slowbro is really the only thing on my team that can take more than one attack before being knocked out. Slowbro is also my only water resist. I'm pretty sure you're supposed to pack more than one, but this worked out fine for me. This Slowbro set allows it to be different to the normal Slowbro sets. Slowbro is not confined to sitting in one place, being fat, clicking Toxic, and then clicking Slack Off. In fact, this Slowbro, 80% of the time, ends up being my win condition.

How to use Slowbro:
There really isn't much to know when it comes to using this Slowbro set. Spam Scald until all your checks are weakened, and then set up Calm Minds and win. You need +4 to reliably beat Suicune, just for reference.

@

|

Fkn Dead (Heatran)
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Lava Plume |
|
Stone Edge |
|
Toxic |
|
Stealth Rock |
|
This is the only spot on the team that changed during testing. This slot used to be a Clefable. They served similar roles at first glance, checking Electrics and setting up Stealth Rock, but the deeper you look you can see just how much more Heatran can do for this team. Firstly, Heatran actually addressed the astounding Zard-Y weakness which Clefable did nothing about. Heatran also provides a way better answer for Ferrothorn, and Scizor, both of which the team were a little weak to, and something Clefable cannot do. Heatran also provided a backup check to Charizard-X and Talonflame in case Slowbro was a little worn down. Heatran is marginally worse at checking electric types due to its lack of reliable recovery, but it does initially take less than Clefable would, which often works out, as things like Lopunny and Bisharp can often deal with the electrics before they get too out of hand. Whilst yes, this does worsen my matchup vs Kyurem-B, I think the positives outweigh the negatives, so I made the change.

How to use Heatran:
Heatran is the simplest of them all to use. You bring it in, and set up your Stealth Rock. After that, feel free to spread status with Toxic or Lava Plume Burns. If you see a Scizor in the team preview try to keep Heatran healthy to check it.

Kyurem-Black Screws my team. Only Lopunny revenge kills it, and it lives a hit from everything else. To win this matchup you have to keep your Lopunny around, and try to get Stealth Rocks up to weaken it. Paralysing it is good too.

Volcarona + Charizard-Y both fit under the same profile. If my Heatran gets weakened, I don't really have much in the way of stopping them. In a matchup vs one of these, get your rocks up, and keep Heatran healthy. Last ditch Thunder Waves and a Revenge Kill by Lopunny can be effective, just make sure the Volcarona isn't Lum Berry.

Belly Drum Azu murks me. The idea here is to not let it set up. Double around in order to not give it a free switchin. If worse comes to worse, you can beat it by sacking Klefki to paralyse it, then going to Slowbro to Psyshock, and then Bisharp to Sucker Punch. That should finish it off.

Dragon Dance + Lum Berry Dragonite is a huge threat to this team. Against Dragonite, prioritise Stealth Rock, and hit it with all the Thunder Waves and Toxics you have. This thing has to be crippled in order for you to beat it.

Tail Glow Manaphy, specifically the Rain Dance variant, can really cause me problems. The mono attacking sets are easily dealt with because I can boost up and beat those with Slowbro. However, if they have coverage for Slowbro my only option is to Thunder Wave it, and then revenge it with the combination of Gengar and Lopunny. So if it's Tail Glow + Rain Dance I can't even Thunder Wave it. I basically have to sack 2 Pokemon just to take it down.
Never Catch Me (Gengar) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Dead Man's Tetris (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Obligatory Cadence (Klefki) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Foul Play
- Thunder Wave
- Magnet Rise
- Spikes

Ready err Not (Bisharp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Cold Dead (Slowbro) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off

Fkn Dead (Heatran) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
StarZabRighT : Shoutout to you man. The idea to make Slowbro a Calm Mind variant was all you, and it's become probably the best member on the squad. Other than that, you're just always hanging out with me, and being a good friend. Cheers man, it means a lot to me :]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
JohnYiu : Hey John. I know we don't talk as much any more, but you've been a great help to me in assisting me in becoming a better player than i used to be. I appreciate you trying to teach me when I was a noob ;-; Hopefully I'm not that bad now :]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fr33dom : Mah boi fr33 :] You're always supporting me, and hanging out. Cheers man :]
Gunner Rohan : Bruh, how are you so good at AG, and now Ubers. This isn't fair. Do you even know how long it took me to become decent? smh :[
Der Twist : s/o to you. I don't know if you really did anything, but you're back now, and you used to always help me with teams when I was a complete pleb. 'The journey to git gud'
Tom Bus : Ok, this one's a little weird because I've literally only spoken to you like 2 times. Somehow I met you through John Yiu. Anyway s/o to you. Honestly watching your videos was the reason that made me want to start YouTube. Your commentary style is dope, and yeah, I just wanted to try emulate it. You seem to build a lot of teams that I really enjoy using, and to be honest, YouTube's pretty fun, so I'm glad I started it.
I feel like this is a team anyone can use. In certain instances, the team really kinda plays itself. So feel free to try it out. I'll be so happy if you do :]
One last thing. I've put more time into this RMT than I've put into any assignment I've ever done. I tried to make this look as crisp as I could. Sorry some of the descriptions are a little long. I want to give the best insight possible in order to get the best feedback. I also want to make the team showcase one day, but I think I have to actually be good before that can happen :[. Speaking of feedback, I'd really appreciate any feedback on how to improve this team, or on my YouTube, if you checked it out. If you managed to stay to the end, congratulations, I got bored reading through this whole thing myself. Anyways, thanks for reading. Hopefully next time when I make an RMT I'm even further along. Onwards and upwards right? :]

Last edited:
Alright, First off ty for shoutout fren n_n. Anyway, one thing i can see being troublesome for you is that pesky washing machine rotom wash which comes in on 4/6 of your mons im sure it was easier to handle with clef around but tran does provide much more for your team in terms of checks. So an idea is maybe is change out klefki for a power whip ferro. It gives you a second water resist a check to non hp fire kyurems and also a check to non bd azu (if its not running superpower that is)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)