Youtube's new policy for Youtube Partner Program

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
From now on, channels must have at least 1000 subs AND 4000 hours watch time in the past 12 months in order to qualify as a Youtube partner.
And if you aren't partnered with Youtube, you can NOT monetize your videos.

It seems to me that most Youtubers who talked about this issue are criticizing Youtube for slapping smaller creators.

I admit that when I first got Youtube's notice this morning, about how I can no longer monetize my videos , I was whining and moaning about it.
I thought Youtube found a sneaky way to erase my revenue.

But then,
1. I found out that Youtube will pay everyone their remaining revenue.
2. My channel probably just sucked anyway.
3. I spent way too much time making Youtube videos and I had previously thought of quitting Youtube. I always thought that I could quit once I reached the payment threshold. So, now with the new policy, I can just quit before reaching the payment threshold, but still be paid the revenue I previously earned.

So ya, maybe I could be way more productive if I quit Youtube.

Anyway, how do you guys feel about it?

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think this is overall going to be a positive thing. Larger creators, who really do make their living on the site, were getting demolished by the ad program changes. This is a response to that, right? Raising the barrier to entry might let advertisers become more comfortable with their material being on "more curated" users. And honestly, 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch-hours is NOT that high of a bar. I got 4,000 hours for sure by just posting "Jump up superstar" the day of e3, and so did hundreds of other random users.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I think this is overall going to be a positive thing. Larger creators, who really do make their living on the site, were getting demolished by the ad program changes. This is a response to that, right? Raising the barrier to entry might let advertisers become more comfortable with their material being on "more curated" users. And honestly, 1000 subscribers and 4000 watch-hours is NOT that high of a bar. I got 4,000 hours for sure by just posting "Jump up superstar" the day of e3, and so did hundreds of other random users.
It really depends on how long your videos are.
Some people like to make short videos, and they are finding 4000 hours difficult, even they have over 10k subs.

I think this is encouraging people to post long videos.

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus
RIP independent animators you will be missed
Not sure how much further effect this has on independent animators seeing how they've already been screwed over a ton (watch time revenue vs view-based revenue, unpaid Youtube Rewind) and I think the major animators will probably meet the threshold (~650 views/day assuming 1 min vids) whereas I doubt the smaller ones were making much youtube rev to begin with (thank god for Patreon)

Still ultra shitty though, rip youtube animators

The two users who made the advertisers so wary were PewdiePie and Logan Paul, both amongst the most popular youtubers out there. I doubt filtering out the really small channels will make advertisers want to come back in (considering some more controversial tubers easily meet the threshold), youtube really needs more manual control if they want to make advertisers and youtubers happy

So were the Paul brothers ever actually hurt? I feel like it’s a very unfair policy, basically destroying smaller channels.

Oh shit why is this my 300th post…

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not sure how much further effect this has on independent animators seeing how they've already been screwed over a ton (watch time revenue vs view-based revenue, unpaid Youtube Rewind) and I think the major animators will probably meet the threshold (~650 views/day assuming 1 min vids) whereas I doubt the smaller ones were making much youtube rev to begin with (thank god for Patreon)

Still ultra shitty though, rip youtube animators

The two users who made the advertisers so wary were PewdiePie and Logan Paul, both amongst the most popular youtubers out there. I doubt filtering out the really small channels will make advertisers want to come back in (considering some more controversial tubers easily meet the threshold), youtube really needs more manual control if they want to make advertisers and youtubers happy
Logan Paul hasn't done anything questionable before about 1 week ago, so they definitely have had this policy in the works for a while.

What kicked it off wasn't just pewdiepie, but the combination with "pewdiepie is a nazi" and this article: https://www.wsj.com/articles/google...ist-and-other-objectionable-videos-1490380551 Considering pewdiepie makes a ton of money for YT, they probably like him, as in enough to give him his own show on YT red. Same with paul before the suicide video. They want to promote these kinds of people because they make YT tons of views.

This author basically trawled hit/semi-popular second-tier "meme videos" looking for ads by big companies. There are a lot of people that just steal vines and stuff and get tons of views but can't meet the new 1000 subscriber threshold. That's the main target, is people pushing out semi-viral content that can't be controlled. By gatekeeping the partner program, youtube will probably be able to manually review these channels a lot more, or at least _convince companies that they are reviewing them_. Youtube would probably rather not have to pull ads from channels under this threshold, because it would rob them of potential revenue, but they're doing this to convince COMPANIES that they're squeaky-clean.

Unpaid work on YT rewind aside, every "major animator" should easily meet the threshold. I have 600 hours of watchtime in the last month alone, somehow still coming from people watching my SMO song rip. I have about ~3750 hours in my lifetime, 99.99% of them coming from that video. My ad revenue? $12. The people that are going to be hurt by this the most were not making anything above $10, $20 on youtube. If anything this might get advertisers back on board! That could raise the CPM of the youtube animators.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I'm really assuming this was to prevent a second "ElsaGate" and not so much an attack on smaller channels.

This does kind of suck, but at least shitty Channels like DaddyofFive and FreakDaddy and all those other weird channels can't make money.

Also, as for YouTube Animators, I just checked up on Stamper and one single video of his puts him well (almost triple) above the req'd hours...

Same with other well known Animators.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Youtube is pushing their initiative in the current day world where content is becoming king and various platforms and companies are fighting with each other to take over the content game. Ofc smaller independent creators are going to take the brunt of this, but how is this new in comparison to what other platforms that are in competition to provide content have been doing or will do? I mean it sucks but if you watched as Youtube grew throughout the years what did you expect to happen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)