Yveltal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look, yet another SwagFag set. How quaint. Just kidding, it looks fun. However, I believe that Sucker Punch would assist in KO'ing important walls, most notably the ever more present. Lugia, Giratina and the Pink Blobs *shudder*. This would entail a few changes in the EV's, but I feel would also massively increase the usefulness of the set. I think breaking Lugia and the Pink Blobs *shudder again* would offer much more to any team, and I feel would work quite well in tandem with Xerneas. Cool set, props.
I don't think sucker punch would be the best because that gives the opponent the opportunity endlessly switch to pp stall me out.
Taunt makes any of those walls a non-issue. I'm not even sure what makes you suggest Sucker Punch, a move that fails unless the opponent attacks you (which some walls don't even carry moves for) over Dark Pulse, which is more reliable and requires no mixed EVs.

Please don't split defensive EVs like that. Maximize HP and then pick a defensive stat to invest in, this will give you better overall bulk.

I'm also really not sure about the set. Swagger etc is nice if you get lucky. IF. Meanwhile, you're sacrificing valuable and reliable coverage for it. Brightpowder is also too unreliable to truly be better than leftovers on a set like this.
I tested out max hp and it works really nice, thank you. Leftovers also works better but it was hilarious seeing the confusion of the enemy when their 100% moves missed. The reason why this set works is because of yveltal's bulk letting it take multiple of those non confused hits. Anyway thanks for the suggestions blue jay I'll make changes to the post.

I suggested Sucker Punch only because with those EV's, Oblivion Wing will be restoring about 2-3% of Yveltal's HP per use. Taunting the aforementioned walls forces them to attack, struggle, or switch. Sucker Punch offers not only priority (and 80 BP), but also an immediate way to dispose of Lugia, Giratina, and in a less immediate fashion, the blobs.
Sucker Punch sucks vs the mons you mentioned. The set is irreliable and worse than the standard LO attacker or stallbreaker sets Yveltal do so well.

On Showdown 2 guys were talking about using Hone Claws. It does get some physical moves but I'm not sure if it would work s a physical sweeper.

I've been running Yveltal with this set with surprising success:

Naive Nature
Item: Assault Vest

-Oblivion Wing
-Dark Pulse
-Sucker Punch
-Focus Blast

I noticed shortly after catching it that this Yveltal, while having very good stats otherwise, has a near-minimum ATK stat. I was simply curious as to whether to keep Sucker Punch for the priority, or to switch it for Foul Play, which doesn't use Yveltal's ATK.

I still don't understand Naive w/ Assault Vest tbh. Why cut the stat you're multiplying by 1.5 just to run Sucker Punch over Foul Play? Better to go Timid & Foul Play for assault vest, and even then I'm not sure if it's good or not.

My plan was to patch up the Special Def I lost from the Naive nature so Yveltal wouldn't have a glaring hole in its defenses. And I'd prefer not to reset the entire game just for an Yveltal with a different or worse nature. I did soft resets for about 6 hours before I settled for Naive for better Speed (kept getting neutral and -Special Atk natures for some reason >_<), and trying to get another decent Yveltal from GTS is next to impossible since people just want Pokemon that are either unfair trades or that haven't been released yet. If you think Assault Vest isn't the best item, what would be a better option?

TBH I don't know if and/or for which sets Yveltal wants to be Naive. I mean Oblivion Wing seems like a really good thing for an Assault Vest user to have (since you don't have Roost or Regenerator). It's just that Assault Vest comes with a substantial drawback of its own, and so isn't the best way to patch a weakness. Since you have Naive I'd suggest an offensive set (no defensive set ever wants a -Def/SpD nature).

Sucker punch is good but right now I think this set is the best I've tryed till now:

Yveltal @ assault vest
Modest 252hp 252satk 4sdef
oblivion wing
dark pulse
focus blast
foul play

OW recover is just insanely good for an AVester.

Alrighty, I'll replace Sucker Punch with Foul Play for now and see how that works; after all, during online battles I'm seeing alot of Swords Dance-wielding Talonflames/Mega-Mawiles/Lucarios/etc. If I need Sucker Punch again, I'll just use them good ol' Heart Scales. =P

It seems like Yveltal and Xerneas are polar opposites when it comes to versatility. While it seems like Xerneas is arguably a one trick pony, with maybe 2 or 3 sets that it could utilize effectively in this metagame, Ygod seems to have a dozen different sets that it could use. I see incredible potential from this pokemon.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
A "dozen" different sets is something of an exaggeration. It does have a superb movepool and great STAB typings that give it a lot of flexbility, but changing one move or using a slightly different EV spread is not a new set.

So far, sets established as effective are (in no particular order):
- Life Orb (Taunt + 3 Attacks, can run Focus Blast for coverage, can also mess around with things like Substitute)
- Specially Defensive (Roost + Taunt + Toxic + Foul Play)
- Assault Vest
- Choice Scarf? (Have not tested yet, it has some advantages as a Scarfmon but feels outclassed by Xerneas, which covers MMX, Darkrai and almost all dragons in 1 move)

Again, there can be some variation, but all actually viable sets will fall roughly into one of the above categories.

Xerneas can arguably match this:
- Geomancy
- Choice Scarf
- All Out Attacker?
- Cleric? (The latter two sets need to be evaluated to see whether or not they are outclassed, but seem effective and its typing helps to give it a niche)

- Choice Scarf? (Have not tested yet, it has some advantages as a Scarfmon but feels outclassed by Xerneas, which covers MMX, Darkrai and almost all dragons in 1 move)
While this isn't great advantage at all, but being Dark type means that you are immune to Mirror Coat, so something like Wobbufett can't trap you and finish you off (well it is rare as hell, but usable on some comps nonetheless anyway). Also good thing about Scarf Yvetal is that you are not prone to being revenge killed by MegaGengar anytime soon as Oblivion Wing/Dark Pulse smash him hard and he needs to run something like Thunder to hit you hard in the first place (just watch out on being locked into Focus Blast) and you are immune to Sticky Web, so he won't outspeed you anytime soon. Also Pursuit resistance means that you can't trap him this way as well.

Also good natural bulk, interesting resistances (ahhh Ghost resistance is brilliant + Dark Aura Dark Pulse hits SD Ghost Arceus like a nuke) and great Speed number for Ubers means it's more than decent set. Maybe not the top tier Scarfer in Ubers, but pretty good nonetheless.

Last edited:
I don't like Yveltal as a scarfer. You're just begging Xerneas to switch in after dark pulse. I guess you could run sp. def Aegislash with him every time to stop a geomancy sweep though.

Really though, adding foul play to a sweeping set or AV set turns this guy to a monster. Ho-oh is a pretty safe switch in to most sets, but that dark aura foul play hitting for 85%+ fucking hurts.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Yveltal isn't that bad tbh. It gets U-turn which is fairly strong coming off 131 base Attack and nice for scouting, strong Dark STAB to easily revenge the Mewtwo formes and clean lategame, and STAB Oblivion Wing which gives it great sustain for a Scarfer. Scarf Yveltal is also immune to Sticky Web which makes it a great asset against those teams. It's not as jaw-droppingly strong as something like Kyogre or Zekrom, but it has its uses. Although it does wish it had room for both Focus Blast and Foul Play, as without Focus Blast you can't reliably revenge Darkrai, who is still a massive threat.

Oblivion Wing should win against Darkrai, only thing he could do is put you to sleep but if it's revenging I'm assuming something else is asleep already.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Scarf Yveltal isn't that bad tbh. It gets U-turn which is fairly strong coming off 131 base Attack and nice for scouting, strong Dark STAB to easily revenge the Mewtwo formes and clean lategame, and STAB Oblivion Wing which gives it great sustain for a Scarfer. Scarf Yveltal is also immune to Sticky Web which makes it a great asset against those teams. It's not as jaw-droppingly strong as something like Kyogre or Zekrom, but it has its uses. Although it does wish it had room for both Focus Blast and Foul Play, as without Focus Blast you can't reliably revenge Darkrai, who is still a massive threat.
Sadly it would kind of like to have U-Turn+Foul Play+Oblivion Wing+Focus Blast+Hurricane (Oblivion Wing sadly misses some KOs) alongside Dark Pulse, and it sucks at revenge killing dragons compared to Xerneas (90% of dragons, Mewtwo X, Darkrai, Yveltal and Blaziken in one move? NICE), but those flaws aside it performs rather well with a Choice Scarf.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm torn on Scarf Yveltal because it really doesn't have qualities you want for a scarfer; it's Stealth Rock weak and it doesn't do a lot of damage, but on the other hand it has a nice set of resistances and the extra speed helps it beat certain threats. I'll just say it's probably a viable set.

It's too bad Yveltal doesn't get Nasty Plot. It would have made for an interesting Special Sweeper set.
There's not much sense in lamenting something that isn't the case and likely never will be.

I'm loving the Assault Vest set so far. Forget Scarf, Yveltal loves being able to tank those hits and recover with Blivvy-wing. Helps with SR damage too.

There's not much sense in lamenting something that isn't the case and likely never will be.

I'm loving the Assault Vest set so far. Forget Scarf, Yveltal loves being able to tank those hits and recover with Blivvy-wing. Helps with SR damage too.
Ehh, this thing likes its taunt from my experience using it. It might enjoy the bulk of AV but you gotta remember this thing has plenty of Utility.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Ehh, this thing likes its taunt from my experience using it. It might enjoy the bulk of AV but you gotta remember this thing has plenty of Utility.
From my experience AV Yvetlal is very underrated, and the extra special bulk it gets is very noticeable especially compared to LO sets most people use. Oblivion Wing means that you can actually heal, which also means you really can't be worn down as much as many other assault vest pokemon. It should really be used as a hard-hitting surprise check to a lot of special pokemon rather than a stallbreaker like LO is with taunt.

From my experience AV Yvetlal is very underrated, and the extra special bulk it gets is very noticeable especially compared to LO sets most people use. Oblivion Wing means that you can actually heal, which also means you really can't be worn down as much as many other assault vest pokemon. It should really be used as a hard-hitting surprise check to a lot of special pokemon rather than a stallbreaker like LO is with taunt.
I'm not running LO, I'm dealing with Leftovers. I like the utilities of taunt, roost, and toxic.

I know I've posted this set in the Official, but perhaps I should have posted it here (plus, I've modified it):

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 SAtk / 76 Atk / 44 HP
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute

As stated before, the 44 HP is for 101 Substitutes, max Special Attack for the obvious reasons, and the 76 Attack is just enough to ensure a OHKO against Mega-Mewtwo Y with Sucker Punch after Stealth Rocks. The rest is dumped into Speed because why not? I'm still a bit unsure of this, as it may not need so much Speed investments and maybe a bit more into HP or Attack.

I know I've posted this set in the Official, but perhaps I should have posted it here (plus, I've modified it):

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 SAtk / 76 Atk / 44 HP
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute

As stated before, the 44 HP is for 101 Substitutes, max Special Attack for the obvious reasons, and the 76 Attack is just enough to ensure a OHKO against Mega-Mewtwo Y with Sucker Punch after Stealth Rocks. The rest is dumped into Speed because why not? I'm still a bit unsure of this, as it may not need so much Speed investments and maybe a bit more into HP or Attack.
Unless I'm reading the Calculator wrong, isn't Sucker Punch a guaranteed OHKO against MMY even with no investment or Stealth Rocks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)