Z-maura's UU Team

Team at a Glance:

Team Making Process

Well i wanted to try Houndoom seeing as the Hound family have always been a favorite of mine and im more of a UU battler since 5th Gen kicked in.

Then came another one of my all time favorites and was pretty much the staple of my rain team in 4th Gen. I ran him special and he destroyed teams. Unfortunately that hasnt worked well in this generation, and Houndoom is my special sweeper so it was time to use his attack set this time around. Kingdra provides very good synergy with Houndoom and the two of them are seen together for good reason.

I now had two sweepers so i needed to balance with a wall. Bronzong has great defenses and decent HP so i wanted to use him. I kind of wanted a supporter as well so i made him run a defensive dual screen set.

I had to run him on my team, or at least try to, and he actually worked very, very well. Porygon2 has become a behemoth of a tank because of eviolite and now i finally have a reason to say hes better than that ugly Mallard of Porygon-Z. Porygon would serve as my special tank.

Now Sableye didnt really come in until after some testing. After these four i had no other real desired Pokemon so i began to test fillers. This thing...going against it makes me want to throw my computer...so i figured id spread the love! In the end Sableye actually ended up really complimenting his team mates.

Filler #2. Rhyperior provides my stealth rock to help my team do damage, while also breaking substitues with rock blast. Rhyperior is a physical tank and compliments Porygon2's special tank as my physical tank.

Team Mechanics

Gremlin @Leftovers
Prankster
252 HP/120 Def/136 SpDef
Careful
-Foul Play
-Will-o-wisp
-Taunt
-Recover
Stripe has come to cause havoc in the Pokemon world! But more than that, Sableye compliments Porygon2's fighting weakness with the switch and then i can will-o wisp them to permanently cripple them, which helps Porygon2 as well as Houndoom and Rhyperior with their fighting weaknesses, and Houndoom's frail defenses. He is my lead because I also have him with taunt to prevent stealth rock and set ups, and with good predictability i usually end up burning half the opponents team and taunt them so they cant set up anything. The mere fact that there is team preview works to my advantage because when they see Sableye they know and fear their pokemon being burned from the get-go and keep their distance.

LibertyBell @Light Clay
Levitate
252 HP/28 Atk/100 Def/128 SpDef
-Reflect
-Light Screen
-Earthquake
-Hypnosis
The screen set up is pretty self-explanatory. Bronzong is here to do two main things: Set up the walls, and then set up for Houndoom. Seeing as he has levitate, Bronzong has only weakness: Fire. Once he is in i either set the screens or switch on an anticipated fire attack to boost Houndoom and then it gets fun. Bronzong also compliments Houdoom's weaknesses of Rock and Ground while Houdoom supports Bronzong's fire weakness. At the same time Bronzong covers Kingdra's one weakness of Dragon and Kingdra also walls Bronzongs weakness of fire as well. Bronzong contributes to make a triple synergy combo which is very formidable. Hypnosis is there to put a Pokemon to sleep and keep it at bay. I chose EQ over Gyro ball because EQ has better coverage and from testing ended up being so much more helpful than Gyro ball. Also, most people expect Gyro Ball so my Bronzong ends up being faster and different in attack then expected.

Grim @Passho Berry
Fire Flash
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/ 4 HP
Timid
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power (Grass)
-Fire Blast
The Blossom of my Powerpuff Girls, the Goku of my Z fighters, my Alpha Dog. He was the whole reason behind this team. Providing perfect synergy with Kingdra and even to an extent, Bronzong, Houndoom becomes the Bringer of death. Bronzong's weakness attracts fire to get his Flash Fire going, and he has Nasty Plot to boost his offensive capabilities altogether. With hidden power grass i am able to get rid of pesky water and ground types like Quagsire effortlessly. This was also why i attached a Passho berry over a life orb. My main goal is keep Houndoom healthy to sweep, and life orb does the opposite while the berry helps it survive that water attack when he nasty plots and then kills with HP grass the next turn. I have him timid so he can outrun as much as he can so his nasty plot wont go to waste, especially in the water scenario stated before hand. With nasty plot, and flash fire, Houndoom's offense is already great.

Saphira @Lum Berry
Swift Swim
252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Admant
-Dragon Dance
-Substitue
-Waterfall
-Outrage
Perfect synergy with Houndoom, and also Bronzong. The standard Dragon Dancer. He has swift swim because Rain Teams are popular and Its not my Drizzle so the speed bonus is killer! His waterfall also get a boost and the added flinch effect comes in handy. The substitute is there to help Kingdra set up with dragon dance and from there he pretty much sweeps..Lum berry is there to cure Outrage confusion or a early status afflcition to stop the sweep in its tracks. Either way, it's really comes in handy 99% of the time.

DigitalDaffy @Eviloite
Download
252 HP/252 SpAtk
Modest
-Recover
-Tri attack
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
Possible 500+ Special attack right off the bat? Yes please. 300+ Hp, Defense AND Special Defense? With recover?! Yes please! I cant stress enough how much of a monster Porygon2 is. Say what you want, but Pokemon is the slut of the pokemon world. He wants anything you have for him and comes back even harder. Porygon has one weakness which is fighting, but Sableye is there to jump in and absorb with the immunity, and then cripple with the burn so if need be you can throw Porygon back in to give it to you good. With the famous BoltBeam combo Porygon has amazing coverage and the stab Tri Attack with a Triple status bonus is amazing as well. Did i mention how amazing he was?

Groundman @Leftovers
Solid Rock
160 HP/252 Atk/96 SpDef
Admant
-Stealth Rock
-Megahorn
-Earthquake
-Rock Blast
Rhyperior is my Groupie. He's the kid that kinda just tags along and tries to contribute when he can. He's great physical defensively and has a monster attack which helps compliment as my other tank. However they both share a fighting weakness. THIS IS THE POKEMON I WANT TO REPLACE WITH SUGGESTIONS. He was seriously just a filler, i chose him because he could break substitutes with rock blast which is strong as fleep anyways and then he sets up stealth rock to help widdle away at Pokemon to be killed. His stab moves provide great and strong coverage and Megahorn is there to tackle grass types. I guess in reality he does make a good fit since both Houndoom and Kingdra take care of his weaknesses..if only he returned the favor. I dont know, he has lasted long on the team and does well when i use him, but i desperately need a supporter to help my other pokemon which have priority over him.

Discovered Weaknesses and Holes:
1. I need support, whether it be wish, or heal bell, or both. When i lose it happens because my pokemon were weakened and couldnt take the hit. This is definitely my main priority to fix.
2. Sableye wont always be there to absorb the fighting types and i have three pokemon with weaknesses to them. Bronzong usually does a good job taking the hit, so i havent actually had a problem with fighting types but its still good to be prepared.
3. No fighting type. But i honestly dont think i need one with my team. It just feels weird not having one. Not really a weakness, just some self speculation.
4. You tell me! Thats why im posting this after all! Ive been using smogon for years and i finally made an account and have a team im proud of. And im only looking to make it even better :)

*Thanks in advance to any suggestions or ideas!*

Hey, nice team.

The biggest problem I see right now is a Heracross weakness. Just about every time it makes its way in (assuming a good player) it will take out one of your Pokemon. For this I would suggest Gligar>Rhyperior. Gligar can check SO MANY physical threats like Stoutland, while still setting the ever crucial Stealth Rock.

Here's the set:
Gligar@Eviolite
Sand Veil
Impish
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Earthquake
Toxic
Roost
Stealth Rock

That's the biggest thing I see. The only other suggestion I could see is to max out Sableye's Special Defense. That's what I usually use and it's been pretty effective.

Good luck bud.

Moo

Professor
is an Artist Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I've a few suggestions for your team.

Your Bronzong EV spread is pretty random. I recommend changing it to a simple 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef with a Relaxed nature. The reason for this is that Bronzong commonly switches in on physical attackers like Rhyperior, Flygon etc, and it'd be better for it to able to tank U-turns and whatnot more effectively. You're going to lose against most special attackers anyway (Zapdos, Suicune, etc), so you might as well just dedicate its EV spread to tanking hits from physical attackers, and leave the rest to Porygon2.

I disagree with your choice of item on Houndoom and let me explain why. Houndoom is extremely fragile, and even with the Passho berry, it still won't be very healthy after taking a hit from a Water-type. With the boost from a Life Orb, Houndoom can actually KO most bulky Water-types after a boost, providing you've weakened them a bit beforehand.

Life Orb Calcs
+2 Fire Blast vs Empoleon 86.6% - 102.2%
+2 Hidden Power Grass vs offensive Suicune 91.5% - 107.9%
+2 Hidden Power Grass vs Milotic 74.3% - 87.5%

My point is that you're better off taking 10% damage than around 50% damage, because you still end up killing the pokemon in the end. Make sure to weaken them a bit first, but you would've had to do that anyway.

SubDance Kingdra is a bit obsolete in my opinion. I'd definitely recommend trying out the Rest Chesto set:

Kingdra (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 184 HP / 160 Atk / 164 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Rest
- Waterfall
- Outrage

The basic premise of this set is to set up until you're about to die, then Rest up. With Substitute, you're depleting your health, which can be counterproductive, because something like Empoleon or Suicune can come in and simply phaze you out, and you've now just lost 25% health for nothing. Also without Lum Berry, you'll be worn down even quicker. Rest Chesto is the best way to get multiple boosts against the opponent, and stay healthy at the same time. It can be pretty dangerous if after just a few boosts, and will help you weaken bulky Water-types for Houndoom to sweep.

I also completely agree with switching Rhyperior for Gligar. You're pretty weak to Heracross as it stands, as it can pretty much just spam Megahorn against your whole team.

Good luck with the team, hope I helped!

I will definitely try Gligar, ive been meaning to get rid of rhyperior. Ive also been told Altaria?
I will also give ChestoRest Kingdra a go seeing as ive never tried it :)
And im defnitely going to change to life orb for Houndoom!

For Sableye I generally would say to invest in one defense rather than make it a mixed wall. Night Shade/Seismic Toss is probably more consistent damage over Foul Play as well.

I'd probably also put Gyro Ball or Toxic over Hypnosis on Bronzong. Sleep inducing can be pretty useful, but Hypnosis has really shaky accuracy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)