Z-Move Discussion

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Credit to OmegaDonut most new Z-move info will appear in his Twitter here: https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD

General Z-Move Information

1) 29 Z-moves with 11 being Special Z-moves
2) Z-move BPs by Base Move
3) Status Z-Moves Effects
4) Z-Move Mechanics

Special Z-Move Base Move Requirements:

Pulverizing Pancake requires Giga Impact.
Stoked Sparksurfer requires Thunderbolt.
Catastropika requires Volt Tackle.
10,000,000 Volts Thunderbolt requires Thunderbolt.
Extreme Evoboost requires Last Resort.
Guardian of Alola requires Nature's Madness.
Sinister Arrow Raid requires Spirit Shackle.
Malicious Moonsault requires Darkest Lariat.
Oceanic Operetta requires Sparkling Aria.
Genesis Supernova requires Psychic.
Soul-Stealing Seven Star Strike requires Spectral Thief.

Z-Move Videos:

Status Z-Move Demonstration

Genesis Super Nova

10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt:

Soul-Stealing 7-Star Strike:
Sinister Arrow Raid:

Malicious Moonsault:

Oceanic Operetta:

Last edited:

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Do we know if these all use the same basic z-crystal (like normalium-z), is there a special "statusium-z", or do these moves all have their own specific z-crystal?

Z-Destiny Bond redirects all attacks to the user
holy f#ck. So basically Destiny Bond + Follow Me. lmao I haven't seen something so theoretically broken since Mega-Glalie's Refrigerator boosted STAB Explosion. Definitely something a lot of people will try out on VGC for sure.

And finally some use for those Event Exclusive moves. Glad I held onto mine.

Matt

Maybe monads might not matter
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If you have two moves of your Z-Crystal's type, how do you know which effect is going to be used? I really hope this isn't a coin flip. Z-Celebrate + Baton Pass would be very nice, but they're both Normal moves.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I haven't had much time to keep up with the Z move mechanics as they've been revealed (haven't played the demo either) so I have a little bit of a stupid question/clarification: when you use a Z move, does it replace or enhance the effect of the regular move? For example, if use the Ghost Z move and I have Destiny Bond, do I still get the effect of Destiny bond along with the redirection?

If you have two moves of your Z-Crystal's type, how do you know which effect is going to be used? I really hope this isn't a coin flip. Z-Celebrate + Baton Pass would be very nice, but they're both Normal moves.
You pick the move

I haven't had much time to keep up with the Z move mechanics as they've been revealed (haven't played the demo either) so I have a little bit of a stupid question/clarification: when you use a Z move, does it replace or enhance the effect of the regular move? For example, if use the Ghost Z move and I have Destiny Bond, do I still get the effect of Destiny bond along with the redirection?
Its adds up (So Destiny Bond has its main effect AND is a follow me)

Non-status Z-moves replace the original move entirely. I.e Nuzzle!Gigavolt Havoc won't paralize its target. As for status Z-moves:
Every status move not named Nature Power, Metronome, or Assist has an additional side effect when used as a Z-Move

It sadly appears that Z-moves maxout at about 200 base power with a few exceeding that, most powerful one appears to be 220 from v-create. Many pokemon will be able to exceed a z-moves base power with a choice item and a regular attack.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It sadly appears that Z-moves maxout at about 200 base power with a few exceeding that, most powerful one appears to be 220 from v-create. Many pokemon will be able to exceed a z-moves base power with a choice item and a regular attack.
Most of the Z move seem to be at least 1.5x better than the base form. I'd argue this power seems pretty perfect. Its a one time nuke a little stronger than a gem boost that leaves the user free to switch moves.

Most of the Z move seem to be at least 1.5x better than the base form. I'd argue this power seems pretty perfect. Its a one time nuke a little stronger than a gem boost that leaves the user free to switch moves.
Its still a one time thing so if the opponent switches or if Protect becomes more prevalent then it may not be worth it.

I think the most interesting Z Moves are all the status ones. Several interesting effects in those, certainly more eye catching than "it does lots of damage"

Trust me we don't need more powercreep. 200 is fine. Especially the Z moves with secondary effects.
I agree, but also gotta admit that I am incredibly disappointed by the fact that Z-Explosion will be actually weaker than its base form.

What does the z move version of swords dance do? Or do the flags in the pastebin mean we don't know yet?

What the other guy said. It's like exploding twice, but NOT dying. Losing 50 damage VS sacking a Pokemon. Easy choice.
Hi guys, i really think that the're other options more interesting that lose Z-move in explosion, cause you only have a 200bp normal move, instead an object that could be better life orb/ CS's/ Berry's/sash...
I think that Z-moves could be interesting moves that increase your status

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
-Z-Celebrate, Z-Happy Hour, Z-Hold Hands, and Z-Conversion raise all stats +1 stage. Z-Geomancy does this too but when are you going to see a Geomancy user without a Power Herb.
Would like to just emphasize how huge this is. All eeveelutions and kanto starters have an all-stats boosting move with Z-Celebrate, Porygon-Z has it with Z-Conversion, and even Jirachi has it with Happy Hour. Each one of the events these Pokemon got their respective event move from (P-Z unincluded due to just learning Conversion) aren't Nature-locked and are mostly free to be built the way you want (with the exception of Jirachi which has to be shiny.)

Would like to just emphasize how huge this is. All eeveelutions and kanto starters have an all-stats boosting move with Z-Celebrate, Porygon-Z has it with Z-Conversion, and even Jirachi has it with Happy Hour. Each one of the events these Pokemon got their respective event move from (P-Z unincluded due to just learning Conversion) aren't Nature-locked and are mostly free to be built the way you want (with the exception of Jirachi which has to be shiny.)
I mentioned this in the genral thread

Espeon has a 120 BP Psychic Move AND a +1 in everything

And you can't roar it out

Z-Belly Drum seems like it would be much, much more viable than a regular belly drum set. What's the distribution on it now? Do we know what z-nasty plot or z-swords dance do? Z-shift gear? Z-quiver dance? I

so is there NOT an exclusive Z Crystal for Ash-Greninja?
are we just going to never have that cool giant orange water shuriken from the anime?
:/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)