1. The moderators of this forum are Celticpride, IronBullet, Snowy, and Sun.
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  3. Click here to ensure that you never miss a new SmogonU video upload!

SM LC Z Trick-Or-Treat Pumpkaboo

Discussion in 'SM Other Teams' started by Myren, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Myren

Myren

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Introduction

hello there!
    my name is myren and welcome to my first rmt i guess lol
    this team was built around pumpkaboo and this cool Z-ToT set. pretty cool, imo.

[​IMG]
    Z U C C A T O (Pumpkaboo-Small) @ Ghostium Z | Frisk
    Modest | 76 HP / 244 SpA / 188 Spe
    IVs: 0 Atk
    • Trick-or-Treat
    • Giga Drain
    • Shadow Ball
    • Sludge Bomb
    i decided to start everything from this mon. idk where i got the idea from z trick or treat, but it's actually kinda cool because people expect a bulky pumpkaboo. giga drain and shadow ball are stabs of course, however shadow ball can play an ever bigger role since it allows for easier ohkos on mons that get trick or treated. sludge bomb is just some coverage vs fairy types. could replace with hp ground to help against alolan grimer**

[​IMG]
    frate rigenero (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite | Regenerator
    Impish | 156 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpD
    • Drain Punch
    • U-turn
    • Knock Off
    • High Jump Kick
    mienfoo is a really good mon, but it also helps our dear pumpkaboo get rid of dark types that can get in his way while pumpky keeps the psychic and fairy types away (with sludge bomb).

[​IMG]
    le trap sono gay (Diglett) @ Choice Scarf | Arena Trap
    Hasty | 236 Atk / 236 Spe
    • Earthquake
    • Memento
    • Pursuit
    • Sludge Bomb
    i had to find a way to counter croagunk which tanks both mienfoo and pumpkaboo's attacks. diglett was my best choice as it traps and keeps everything good. memento also helps with the sweep as it most likely will force a switch on the opponent's part.

[​IMG]
    frate setto (Dwebble) @ Eviolite | Weak Armor
    Jolly | 116 HP / 156 Atk / 236 Spe
    • Spikes
    • Stealth Rock
    • Rock Blast
    • Earthquake
    i realise that i need a good hazard setter and i decided to put dwebble. good hazard stacker, also helps vs the flying types which would most likely destroy my team with rocks and weak armor to higher its own speed. i am thinking about switching to ferroseed to have more safety vs flying types.

[​IMG]
    kiao chinchou (Croagunk) @ Life Orb | Dry Skin
    Modest | 116 Def / 188 SpA / 196 SpD / 8 Spe
    • Nasty Plot
    • Sludge Bomb
    • Dark Pulse
    • Focus Blast
    chinchou can be extremely annoying if i lose duggy or pumpkaboo therefore i decided to go with croagunk. i'm still debating whether to keep it or not and put a flying resist, but still, let's talk about croagunk. good nplot setter, does its job nicely. also does a good job vs mienfoo and other fighting types, without having to worry much about knock off.
    http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/sprites/xy/elekid.png

flying types levatevi (Elekid) @ Life Orb | Vital Spirit
    Jolly | 240 SpA / 236 Spe
    • HP Grass

• Volt Switch

• Thunderbolt

• Psychic

i had to remove croagunk for a good reason. archen.
    flying types absolutely destroy my team, especially archen which literally counters my whole team. elekid was my best choice as a counter. plus i already had two counters to chinchou, therefore i didn't even have to care more about it. set is kinda obvious, hp grass to hit chinchou on switch in, volt switch to be able to switch and deal damage (plus stab), thunderbolt is the stab and psychic for fighting types. not something that cool though lol

[​IMG]
    abra fammi na sega (Vullaby) (F) @ Eviolite | Weak Armor
    Adamant | 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
    • Brave Bird
    • Knock Off
    • U-turn
    • Taunt
    abra can be a huge threat to my team. therefore, the best way to counter it was to put vullaby. i decided to try the physical set and it actually works nicely.

Conclusion

so well, i guess i hope you enjoyed my rmt? it's the first actual LC team that i make so yeah it may be pretty bad. importable below!

Importable (open)
    Z U C C A T O (Pumpkaboo-Small) @ Ghostium Z
    Ability: Frisk
    Level: 5
    EVs: 76 HP / 244 SpA / 188 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Trick-or-Treat
    - Giga Drain
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb

frate rigenero (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
    Ability: Regenerator
    EVs: 156 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpD
    Impish Nature
    - Drain Punch
    - U-turn
    - Knock Off
    - High Jump Kick

le trap sono gay (Diglett) @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Arena Trap
    EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
    Hasty Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Memento
    - Pursuit
    - Sludge Bomb

frate setto (Dwebble) @ Eviolite
    Ability: Weak Armor
    EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 236 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rock Blast
    - Earthquake

kiao chinchou (Croagunk) @ Life Orb
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 116 Def / 188 SpA / 196 SpD / 8 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Nasty Plot
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Dark Pulse
    - Focus Blast

abra fammi na sega (Vullaby) (F) @ Eviolite
    EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Knock Off
    - U-turn
    - Taunt

- myren
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  2. Bradthebad101

Bradthebad101

Myren that is a pretty cool team :) but correct me if I am wrong but Arena trap is banned? Or is that just ou? Lol now I am more asking you than helping haha. Also would pursuit really be a good move? After all they can't switch (unless they have u turn and then it might be good)
  3. Myren

Myren

hello there

no, arena trap is not banned in lc. it's banned from ou to pu.

pursuit is mostly a filler move, i could run rock slide or shadow claw but eh idk if it's good
  4. Bradthebad101

Bradthebad101

I don't know much about lc but pursuit isn't good (unless they can switch) so personally I'd go with rock slide, shadow claw, or if possible sucker punch :) I just came to look as I am not good in lc but I know enough to know pursuit<mod
  5. Mecoptera

Mecoptera

Just some brief thoughts, on diglett, pursuit is fine. It helps to beat ghastly, which may be enough considering that a set a life orb and DG, would run through your team normally. I would consider replacing the Scarf with either LO, or sash. Diglett hits 20 speed naturally with a jolly nature, which makes a scarf redundant, if you really want a scarf'd ground type in the spot, scarf drillbur is good, and reduces your vulnerability to hazards somewhat. If you want a trapper that better handles abra and ghastly, one option to consider is Grimer-alola.

speaking of hazards, you have two Pokemon that dislike rocks on your side, vullaby and Dwebble, and the only way you keep rocks off the field is with taunt on vullaby, which is a poor strategy against most of the tier's best setters, for instance Onyx. Additionally It is fairly easy to set rocks up on dwebble. You really want a spinner, once again, drillbur is an option over diglett, the other option of merit is staryu, which covers some of pumpkaboo's weaknesses. A less ideal option would be adding defog to vullaby, of course this removes your own spikes and rocks, which is why I think it is less ideal.

last thing
    Why jolly on elekid? timid would be more appropriate.

good luck!
  6. Myren

Myren

Ooh about that Jolly on Elekid, I'll make sure to fix it. I may go with Staryu as it helps me counter Archen, thanks for the feedback!
    Mecoptera likes this.
  7. sam-testings

sam-testings

Hey there and welcome to LC!

So first off, a lot of these sets aren't optimal, and there are several flaws with the team composition.

Starting with the star of the team, Z-ToT Pumpkaboo-Small, we see that not only are the EVs suboptimal, the moveset is too. I would recommend switching to the standard Pumpkaboo-Small EVs, which are 4 HP / 36 Def / 164 SpA / 156 SpD / 148 Spe. Most of the EVs are put into SpA and Spe in order to deal as much damage as possible and to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame. The remaining EVs are used to give it as much bulk as possible. I would also switch Sludge Bomb to Fire Blast. This is to allow Pumpkaboo to hit threats such as Pawniard and Ferroseed super effectively and hit other threats like Alolan Grimer neutrally. The reason you have for having sludge bomb is to deal with Fairies, but none of the fairies that are good in the current metagame threaten Pumpkaboo a lot, so it is better to have Fire Blast instead.
    Z-ToT Pumpkaboo Small (open)

Pumpkaboo-Small @ Ghostium Z
    Ability: Frisk
    EVs: 4 HP / 36 Def / 164 SpA / 156 SpD / 148 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Trick-or-Treat
    - Shadow Ball
    - Fire Blast
    - Giga Drain

Moving on to Mienfoo. There isn't too much I'd change here, but I'd consider changing High Jump Kick to Acrobatics. This is to allow Mienfoo to have an easier time dealing with other Fighting-types such as Timburr and opposing Mienfoo, and to deal with Foongus easier which can be annoying to this team. High Jump Kick, while useable, doesn't do a whole lot for this team and is repetitive when you already have Drain Punch as Fighting STAB.

Now your Diglett set. There is a lot here that isn't exactly amazing, and I'll start off with your item choice. Choice Scarf is very useless on Diglett, who is already incredibly fast and outspeeds pretty much the entire LC metagame. Very rarely will you come across a situation where you wish you had a Choice Scarf on Diglett. I would recommend changing Choice Scarf to Life Orb. A Life Orb would boost Digletts mediocre attack and allow it to take out more Pokemon that it wouldn't usually be able to take out. Now onto Digletts moveset. I would change Pursuit and Sludge Bomb to Rock Slide and Sucker Punch. Pursuit is largely useless as there is only one Pokemon that is relevant that it hits, Gastly. Sludge Bomb is also pretty useless on this team as it is usually used on teams that are very weak to Cottonee, which this team is not. Rock Slide is useful for taking out weakened Pokemon that are immune to Ground-type moves, such as Flying-types. Sucker Punch is useful against frail Choice Scarf users such as Chinchou and Doduo.
    Life Orb Diglett (open)

Diglett @ Life Orb
    Ability: Arena Trap
    EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Sucker Punch
    - Memento

Dwebble is not a very good hazard setter in the current metagame because Onix exists. Onix helps patch up the Flying-type weakness that this team has and deals with threats such as Vullaby and Doduo that can threaten Pumpkaboo. I'd use the Weak Armor set which is very good at setting hazards consistently.
    Weak Armor Onix (open)

Onix @ Eviolite
    Jolly Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rock Blast
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt

Now the team needs a Fighting-type check, so I'd suggest reversing the change you made and replace Elekid with Croagunk. First of all, you state that Elekid is your teams Flying-type check, however Elekid is far too frail to actually tank any hit and thus makes a pretty bad Flying-type check. Also, since we now have Onix, a Flying-type check isn't needed anymore. The reason I choose Croagunk as this teams Fighting-type check is because it also helps deal with one of Pumpkaboos checks, Pawniard. I'd use the Mixed Utility set because it can tank more hits and also provides more crucial Knock Off support to allow Pumpkaboo to sweep easier.
    Mixed Utility Croagunk (open)

Croagunk @ Eviolite
    Ability: Dry Skin
    EVs: 132 HP / 28 Atk / 116 Def / 108 SpA / 116 SpD
    Quiet Nature
    - Knock Off
    - Sludge Bomb
    - Vacuum Wave
    - Drain Punch

Finally, we move on to Vullaby. Vullaby is an incredibly versatile Pokemon that can be molded to whatever your team needs. I would suggest using a Choice Scarf Vullaby set over your current one. Choice Scarf gives this team some speed control and deal with faster threats, and can still deal with Abra like you stated. The set is pretty self explanatory, with Brave Bird and Knock Off being good STAB, U-turn allowing Vullaby to pivot, and Defog for getting rid of hazards.
    Choice Scarf Vullaby (open)

Vullaby @ Choice Scarf
    Ability: Overcoat
    Jolly Nature
    - Brave Bird
    - Knock Off
    - U-turn
    - Defog

I hope that this rate helps you!
    Bradthebad101 and Gummy like this.
  8. Bradthebad101

Bradthebad101

I agree with this guy ^ pursuit isn't that great a move on diglett and sucker punch or rock slide would be MUCH better imo :) he also makes some great points
  9. Myren

Myren

tyvm, applied everything
    sam-testings and Bradthebad101 like this.
  10. Mecoptera

Mecoptera

If you want additional feedback, edit the OP with the changes you've made. If you do, be sure to include adequate descriptions for everything.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)