Zapdos (Concise + Update)

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see this is almost done, but I would like to weigh in on the Choice set. There is about a line about Choice Specs, and it discourages the reader from even using Choice Specs. I submitted an update on Quality Control for this set, not knowing about this thread so I will post my update here.

<p>Choice Specs Zapdos is an extremely powerful Pokemon, and even more so now that Latias has moved up to the uber tier. With Latias gone Zapdos is no longer overshadowed by something that shares similar resistances, with a better STAB to work with, and isn't hit for 25% damage every time it switches in. However, do not let these short comings dismay you from using Choice Specs Zapdos as its offensive prowess is amazing. To give an idea of its power, offensive Rotom appliances are 2HitKOd by Thunderbolt after SR, despite the resist. While using Choice Specs it is better to use an EV spread of 4 Hp/ 252 SpAtk/ 252 Spe with a Timid nature. This allowes you to outspeed all neutral natured base 110 speed pokemon, and at worst tie with all base 100 pokemon (Salamence and Jirachi to name a few) providing they dont carry a choice scarf.<p/>

<p>Also, Zapdos has a lot of natural bulk, allowing it to survive things such as LO Starmie's Ice Beam, and Adamant Scarf Flygon's Stone Edge, if you keep Stealth Rock off the field and Zapdos says healthy. For this reason it is recommended that you pair Choice Specs Zapdos with a rapid spinner. Starmie works great with Zapdos as it is adept at tearing down the bulky ground Pokemon that can ruin Zapdos's fun (Although most ground Pokemon are taken care of by HP Grass or Heat Wave depending on their secondary type). Many people would say this variant of Zapdos is outclassed by Choice Specs Jolteon, however this is far from the truth. Zapdos has bulk, which Jolteon lacks. Zapdos also has Heat Wavem which allows it to 1HitKO Pokemon such as Metagross and Scizor, which can easily revenge Jolteon while it fails to 1HitKO both of the aforementioned Pokemon. Finally, although Jolteon is extremely fast, Zapdos is no slowpoke with 100 base speed. Additionally, Roost is an option over U-turn. However, use it carefully as it is risky to be locked into a non-damaging move and could give the opponent an opportunity to set up. Using roost would also remove Zapdos's scouting capabilities.<p/>

This hasn't been grammar checked or anything, but Choice Specs Zapdos is a force to be reckoned with and I believe it deserves a place in the analysis.

Specs Zapdos I'm sure is viable (Thunderbolt / Heat Wave / HP Grass / U-turn I'm guessing?). But I'm thinking it just being outclassed by Specs Rotom and Specs Jolteon. Jolteon can switch in on electric moves and actually heal, where as Rotom gets the same resists just no Stealth Rock weak (Zapdos has the speed advantage though). However, I don't think sets should be omitted simply because other pokemon do it better. With Rapid Spin support I'm sure people could find a place for Specs Zapdos!

Also, Specs Jolteon is far superior to Specs Zapdos I hate to say. And it doesn't give a shit about Metagross or Scizor since neither one can switch in, which lessens the significance of Heat Wave. Heat Wave is mainly for Celebi, Gliscor (2HKO), and Mamoswine.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Specs Zapdos I'm sure is viable (Thunderbolt / Heat Wave / HP Grass / U-turn I'm guessing?). But I'm thinking it just being outclassed by Specs Rotom and Specs Jolteon. Jolteon can switch in on electric moves and actually heal, where as Rotom gets the same resists just no Stealth Rock weak (Zapdos has the speed advantage though). However, I don't think sets should be omitted simply because other pokemon do it better. With Rapid Spin support I'm sure people could find a place for Specs Zapdos!

Also, Specs Jolteon is far superior to Specs Zapdos I hate to say. And it doesn't give a shit about Metagross or Scizor since neither one can switch in, which lessens the significance of Heat Wave. Heat Wave is mainly for Celebi, Gliscor (2HKO), and Mamoswine.
Did you fully read my post? Zapdos has bulk and can take some hits unlike Jolteon, and Specs Rotom is easy Pursuit bait. Also, how does Jolteon not care about the aforementioned Pokemon? Both can easily revenge it.

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I have to agree with RL on this. While Zapdos is definitely a powerful Choice Specs user, Pokemon like Jolteon are generally better. U-turn is obviously cool on a Specs user, but Zapdos' Stealth Rock weakness is unattractive. While the Stealth Rock weakness does hurt the Scarf set too, the Scarf set boasts the ability to revenge kill some major threats, and so it has that over the Specs set, which merely boasts power. aand as usual, RL sums up my thoughts perfectly; Specs Zapdos is viable, but is generally inferior to Scarf.

firecape

This is the end...
I have to agree with RL on this. While Zapdos is definitely a powerful Choice Specs user, Pokemon like Jolteon are generally better. U-turn is obviously cool on a Specs user, but Zapdos' Stealth Rock weakness is unattractive. While the Stealth Rock weakness does hurt the Scarf set too, the Scarf set boasts the ability to revenge kill some major threats, and so it has that over the Specs set, which merely boasts power. aand as usual, RL sums up my thoughts perfectly; Specs Zapdos is viable, but is generally inferior to Scarf.
I understand this, and agree to a degree, but I think it deserves more then a measly 1 line, or at least a line that doesn't discourage a reader from using it, or just do away with it completely, as what is the point of even including it if you are saying its outclassed in the analysis? Maybe simply move it to extra options and change the set to "Choice Scarf"?

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
While I see where you're coming from on this, Choice Specs is a viable enough item and plays differently enough than Choice Scarf that it can be slashed in with it on the analysis, but since Scarf is generally superior, it will remain the primary slash. The sentence you keep reffering to is mainly to warn people that you shouldn't be attempting to use Specs Zapdos as a revenge killer, and that such duties are usually better left to Scarf Zappy.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
everything looks good and ready to go. I am still in the process of testing MS zapdos but its doubtful that it will be worth an analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)