OU Zapdos

QC:
Henry / Aim / Ben Gay
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / GatoDelFuego
Overview
########

Zapdos is a fantastic check to several dangerous sweepers that reside in OU. It has a great defensive typing, being weak to only two types while having great resistances and an immunity. It also has reliable recovery in Roost, making it an arguably better Defogger than the likes of Empoleon. Zapdos's main niche is the ability to put pressure on offensive teams with its strong bulk, typing, offensive presence and ability to Roost stall strong foes such as Latios and Thundurus. It deals with Choice-locked Talonflame and Staraptor, as well as Mega Pinsir, Tornadus-T and Mega Pidgeot. It also beats Bisharp one-on-one, which no Defogger, other than Mandibuzz, can do without having to run a Hidden Power. However, Zapdos does have a nasty weakness to Stealth Rock, which limits its switch-in opportunities, and is generally bad for a Defogger. It is completely outclassed offensively by both Thundurus formes. It doesn't even have a good Flying STAB, which means its secondary typing is useless offensively.

Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 1: Thunderbolt / Volt Switch
move 2: Roost
move 3: Defog / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Heat Wave / Toxic
ability: Pressure
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is Zapdos's most reliable STAB move and does a lot of damage, even when mainly uninvested. Volt Switch allows Zapdos to take a hit for a teammate, and keep momentum. Roost is for regaining HP and mitigating Zapdos's Stealth Rock weakness. Defog is for removing Stealth Rock, although Hidden Power Ice can be used to beat common switch-ins such as Landorus and Garchomp. Heat Wave is for stopping Ferrothorn and Bisharp, although Heat Wave only has a small chance to KO Bisharp, while Toxic can be used to wear down other walls and common switch-ins.

Set Details
========

The EVs give Zapdos as much physical bulk as possible, while still having a bit of offensive presence. Leftovers are the only item you would really want to use on defensive Zapdos, as it improves its longevity on the field. The Special Attack EVs are to guarantee the KO on Mega Pinsir, even without Stealth Rocks on the field. 16 Speed EVs allow Zapdos to outspeed Bisharp and attempt to KO with its Heat Wave.

Usage Tips
========

Try to avoid switching into Stealth Rock too much, as every time Zapdos switches in without using Defog, it loses 25% of its HP. Avoid status ailments such as Toxic, as Zapdos has no reliable way of removing them and they wear down Zapdos extremely quick.

Team Options
========

Powerful Fighting-type Pokemon that can scare off Chansey and Tyranitar such as Mega Heracross, Mega Gallade and Terrakion work fantastically as teammates, as those two Pokemon are known to switch into Zapdos. Healing Wish or Aromatherapy support from Pokémon such as Sylveon and Chansey are also helpful to get rid of status like Toxic. Bulky Steel-types such as Excadrill, Bronzong and Jirachi have great synergy with Zapdos, and deal with Latios that lack Hidden Power Fighting or Hidden Power Fire.

Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 3: Defog / Heat Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
evs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
nature: Calm

Moves
========

Thunderbolt is a powerful STAB move that hits decently hard. Volt Switch is a momentum-gainer, but if Zapdos doesn't use Defog before switching, it takes another 25% damage when it switches back in. Roost heals the damage you take if you decide to switch in on Stealth Rocks. Hidden Power Ice is for both formes of Landorus and foes like Dragonite. Defog is obviously to remove Stealth Rock, although Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn and Bisharp harder than Thunderbolt would.

Set Details
========

The given EVs maximize Zapdos's special bulk, allowing it to counter Landorus as well as living a +2 Return from Mega Pinsir after Stealth Rock damage. 16 Speed EVs are to outpace Bisharp. Leftovers are the best item to have, as the slow regeneration of HP helps increase longevity.

Usage Tips
========

Stealth Rock is a huge issue for Zapdos, so make sure to use Defog before switching out. Zapdos, while bulky, still does not take super effective hits too well, so be wary of staying in against Pokemon such as Kyurem Black or Rhyperior. Don't use Zapdos to take on Pokémon such as Scizor that will most likely just U-turn out, because it just wears Zapdos down.

Team Options
========

Pokemon such as Mega Heracross certainly appreciate Zapdos's removal of common Flying-type Pokemon. Having a cleric Pokemon such as Latias is fantastic for removing burns or Toxic. Good physical walls like Landorus-T that handle powerful setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Excadrill or Garchomp support Zapdos, as Zapdos cannot beat most of them. Physical walls like Hippowdon can handle set up sweepers like Garchomp and Mega Charizard X.

Other Options
########

U-turn is an option over Volt Switch if you don't want to be stopped by Ground-type Pokemon before switching out. Choice Scarf Zapdos, while outclassed by Thundurus, provides a nice surprise to opponents who expect a bulky set. Rocky Helmet is an option over Leftovers, especially on the specially defensive set, as it allows Zapdos to deal with physical attackers better. Roar is good against setup sweepers and helps stack up entry hazard damage. Discharge is mostly an inferior Thunderbolt, although the added chance of paralysis is helpful.

Checks & Counters
########

**Stealth Rock**: Keeping Stealth Rock on the field is a great way to wear down Zapdos and cost it turns because it has to use Defog to clear them.

**Setup Sweepers**: Zapdos can't do a whole lot to setup sweepers such as Swords Dance Garchomp and Nasty Plot Thundurus if it's lacking Hidden Power Ice, and Mega Charizard X can cleanly set up with no issues.

**Powerful STAB Attacks**: Even though Zapdos is bulky, strong attacks such as Dragalge's Draco Meteor and Talonflame's Flare Blitz do a lot of damage.

**Special Walls**: Walls such as Chansey, Tyranitar and Goodra are prime counters to Zapdos, as without Toxic Zapdos cannot retaliate with any move.

Overview
########
  • Great defensive typing, being weak to only two things and having a great resistance and an immunity
  • Actually has offensive presence
  • Reliable Recovery
  • Birdspam check, it beats Choice-locked Staraptor and Talonflame, as well as mega Pinsir and Mega Pidgeot
  • Stealth Rocks weakness bad for a defogger
  • Outclassed offensively COMPLETELY by Thundurus
Physically Defensive
########
name: Physically Defensive
move 3: Defog / Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Heat Wave / Toxic
evs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 68 SpA / 16 SpE
nature: Bold
Moves
========
  • Thunderbolt for a powerful STAB
  • Volt Switch is a great momentum grabber, but it's bad if you don't Defog before you switch out.
  • Roost for recovery and mitigating the SR weakness
  • Defog for removing Rocks
  • Hidden Power Ice for both Lando forms and things like Dragonite.
  • Heat Wave for Ferro and Bisharp, although Heat Wave only has a small chance to KO Bisharp
  • Toxic for other walls and common switch-ins
Set Details
========
  • The EVs are to give Zapdos as much physical bulk as possible while still having a bit of offensive presence.
  • Leftovers are the single best item to have, since it improves longevity on the field.
  • The SpA EVs are to guarantee the kill on M-Pinsir
  • 16 Speed to outrun Bisharp
Usage Tips
========
  • Don't try to switch too much into Stealth Rocks without Roosting
  • Avoid status like Toxic, as Zapdos has no way of healing them
Team Options
========
  • Fighting Types like Mega Gallade and Mega Heracross for T-Tar and Chansey
  • Healing Wish / Aromatherapy Support
  • Excadrill has great synergy, and also beats Latios lacking HP Fire / Fightin
Specially Defensive
########
name: Specially Defensive
move 3: Defog / Heat Wave
move 4: Hidden Power Ice
evs: 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe
nature: Calm
Moves
========
  • Thunderbolt for a powerful STAB
  • Volt Switch is a great momentum grabber, but it's bad if you don't Defog before you switch out.
  • Roost for recovery and mitigating the SR weakness
  • Defog for removing Rocks
  • Hidden Power Ice for both Lando forms and things like Dragonite.
  • Heat Wave for Ferro and Bisharp, although Heat Wave only has a small chance to KO Bisharp
  • Toxic for other walls and common switch-ins
Set Details
========
  • The EVs maximize Zapdos' special defense while keeping its physical bulk acceptable.
  • Leftovers are the single best item to have, since it improves longevity on the field.
  • 16 Speed to outrun Bisharp
  • The EVs counter Lando-I, while still living a +2 Mega Pinsir Return after Stealth Rocks.
Usage Tips
========
  • Be aware that Stealth Rocks still wear down Zapdos.
  • Zapdos still has to be wary of Toxic
  • Zapdos still doesn't take Super Effective Special hits too well, like Greninja's Ice Beam, so be wary.
Team Options
========
  • Mega Heracross appreciates the lack of Bird Spam.
  • Healing Wish / Aromatherapy Support
  • Physical walls like Lando-T that handle strong physical sweepers like Garchomp and Mega Gallade lacking Ice Punch
Other Options
########
  • U-Turn
  • Scarf
  • Sub + Roost
  • Rocky Helmet

Checks & Counters
########
**Stealth Rocks**: Keeping Stealth Rocks on the field is a great way to wear down Zapdos and cost it turns w/ Defog
**Set Up Sweepers**: Zapdos can't do a whole lot to set-up sweepers like SD Garchomp and Nasty Plot Thundurus, if it's lacking HP Ice, and Mega Char X can cleanly set up with no issues.
**Powerful STAB Attacks**: Even though Zapdos is bulky, strong attacks like Dragalge's Draco Meteor and Talonflame's Flare Blitz still do a lot of damage
**Special Walls**: Walls like Chansey, Tyranitar and Goodra are prime counters to Zapdos, as even with Toxic, they can beat Zapdos with enough time

Last edited:
Zapdos does not counter Birdspam, the only offensive Flying-type Zapdos reliably beats is Mega Pinsir. Even Jolly Choice Band Talonflame will 2HKO Zapdos with Flare Blitz after Stealth Rock, and Zapdos has no shot against Staraptor.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The EV spread should have 16 Speed EVs to outrun Bisharp.

You should definitely include a specially defensive set with the EV spread 248 HP / 64 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe Calm. This provides enough Defense to ensure that Zapdos is never 2HKOed by Mega Pinsir's Return after SR and live a +2 Return if it switches in on the SD. Anyways, the primary use of the SpD investment is for Zapdos to serve as a Landorus-I counter, which is one of the unique roles that it can provide as a defensive Pokemon and certainly a selling point for its use.

Thank you, Jukain, I knew I had to throw in Speed somewhere to outspeed something, just couldn't put my finger on it.
I will add the alternate EV in the EV section. (Unless you want it to be an entirely new set, but that seems a bit pointless tbh)

You need to make it very clear that Zapdos is 100% outclassed offensively by Thundurus, moreso Thundurus-T than Thundurus-I, and that should be reflected in the Overview + OO should mention why Specs is pretty terrible (still outclassed, can't make use of defog, doesn't deal much damage).

Team options is also very bare. Mega Heracross needs a mention due to how Zapdos can get rid of BirdSpam for it. Yes, most Fighting-types do appreciate it, but Mega Heracross is a special case due to it absolutely wrecking TTar and Chansey + the weakness is much more real than say Gallade, who can avoid Staraptor's Brave Bird because of outspeeding and also surviving 1 Quick Attack from Mega Pinsir.

Excadrill is also a good partner because it has relatively good type synergy, beats Lati@s that lack HP Fighting (which absolutely beats Zapdos), and can use Rapid Spin prior to Zapdos coming in.

I have implemented the second set, although it's pretty much the same as the first one but with different EVs and HP Ice, so it's not easy to think of different points. Someone feel free to add some points if you'd like.

I'd put a slash for HP ice in the physically defensive set for zapdos with defog. Defog is usually best for most teams but hazard removal isn't always completely necessary (especially when youre hazard stacking without a spinner) and HP ice is still very useful in nabbing things like lead chomp and landos.

Also in the spdef set landot cannot check gallade reliably as it can viably run ice punch.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Remember to mention that Zapdos relies heavily on its resists, because it isn't that bulky. Also mention that Heat Wave only has a small chance (~18%, 50% with SR) to OHKO non-AV Bisharp, while it easily KOs back with anything but Iron Head if it has a Defiant boost and boosting item (Jolly Dread Plate Knock Off does 83.8% minimum).

This is also probably a stupid idea, but HP Flying in OO for Mega Venusaur? It doesn't give two shits about Zapdos otherwise and will slowly kill you with Leech Seed, plus it's also decent for stopping Mega Gallade and Mega Lopunny from setting up on you for free (HP Flying always 2HKOs both while T-Bolt never does on Gallade). Like I said, probably stupid so don't add it unless someone from Q/C agrees.

I think a 252 HP / 60 Def / 180 SpD / 16 Spe calm is superior for the spdef as it maxes out the lefties w/o altering its potential to beat pinsir at +2
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Zapdos: 264-311 (68.7 - 80.9%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 248 HP / 64 Def Zapdos: 263-309 (68.6 - 80.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Umm maybe slash volt switch with thunderbolt, its not as good but it does have a utility over t bolt.
I think mentioning that lando t can take bulky zard x (which murders zapdos w/o toxic) is probably worth noting.
Zapdos also pairs pretty well with birdspam, as it provides offensive pressure and defog support simultaneously.
I think that its worth acknowledging the fact that base 100 is pretty good for a tank and (maybe) that pressure can help with PP stalling paired with roost.

I'll mention HP Flying in OO, I really don't think it's worth a slash on the main set at all. It actually has Air Cutter, which is more powerful anyways.
I'll mention the Heat Wave thing too, although I don't think I've ever seen an AV Sharp, haha.
Volt Switch isn't worth it, especially on a wall. Will note that it works well with birdspam.

Last edited:
It's more that Zapdos has a reasonably good SpAtk to use, so it can potentially be used as a pivot for more offensive teams. But yeah, I concur with the fact that t bolt is better than volt switch.

Remember to mention that Zapdos relies heavily on its resists, because it isn't that bulky. Also mention that Heat Wave only has a small chance (~18%, 50% with SR) to OHKO non-AV Bisharp, while it easily KOs back with anything but Iron Head if it has a Defiant boost and boosting item (Jolly Dread Plate Knock Off does 83.8% minimum).

This is also probably a stupid idea, but HP Flying in OO for Mega Venusaur? It doesn't give two shits about Zapdos otherwise and will slowly kill you with Leech Seed, plus it's also decent for stopping Mega Gallade and Mega Lopunny from setting up on you for free (HP Flying always 2HKOs both while T-Bolt never does on Gallade). Like I said, probably stupid so don't add it unless someone from Q/C agrees.

uh yeah seems a little silly to waste a moveslot on something that can only deal with one pokemon when zapdos needs its 4 moves used efficiently, Recreant don't add hp flying sorry.

To be honest, if Specially Defensive Zapdos is designed to beat Landorus-I, then Hidden Power Ice should be the only slash in the fourth slot; otherwise, it cannot beat it, which it is supposed to do.

The HP EVs on the SpDef one are still 248. 252 is better for the lefties set, coming in at 75% doesnt really make a difference compared to 76 obviously for the fact of lefties. I guess it would only apply if you get knocked off and managed to heal to 100% somehow.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
The HP EVs on the SpDef one are still 248. 252 is better for the lefties set, coming in at 75% doesnt really make a difference compared to 76 obviously for the fact of lefties. I guess it would only apply if you get knocked off and managed to heal to 100% somehow.
I think the main reason is that with 252 HP Zapdos hits a leftovers number which gives you more HP recovery overall even factoring the slightly higher damage taken from stealth rock.

Edit: "Zapdos can't do a whole lot to set-up sweepers like SD Garchomp and Nasty Plot Thundurus" This isnt necessarily true, as HP Ice cleanly 2HKOs or OHKOs both of them (not sure if it ohkos chomp) and thundurus takes a decent chunk from thunderbolt. Mega Charizard X is probably the most significant setup sweeper that can take advantage of Zapdos unless its running toxic.

Last edited:
I might have been ambiguous in my post, but I'm saying to change the HP to 252 for the reasons i mentioned in my initial post. I know its a minor nitpick, but 248 is pretty much a waste of HP for lefties dos.

Last edited:
slash heat wave with defog in the spdef set, and give each set the option for volt switch in place of tbolt, but make sure to explain which one fits better under moves for certain situations. tell me when you've made those changes.

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
i mean you can hit a lefties # with a lower hp stat. tbh i'd just go 248 for less sr switch-ins but eh 252 is fine unless some other qc member disagrees 2/3 mate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)