Zebstrika (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

[Overview]

<p>Once ignored in favor of its Electric-type brethren due to its average attacking stats and barren movepool, Zebstrika was finally bestowed with a niche to separate it from its peers with the arrival of Ludicolo, Charizard, and Sawsbuck—and consequently weather's rise in popularity. Zebstrika could finally make use of its amazing Speed stat, alongside a Choice Scarf to outspeed various weather sweepers such as Gorebyss, Exeggutor and Victreebel. Even without a Choice Scarf, Zebstrika's excellent Speed tier places it above the likes of Cinccino, Swoobat, and Serperior. Complimenting its Speed, Zebstrika has two excellent abilities at its disposal: Lightningrod and Sap Sipper. The former graces Zebstrika with an immunity to Electric-types moves as well as a much needed power boost, while the latter bestows Zebstrika with an immunity to Grass-types moves, such as Amoonguss's Spore and Cinccino's Bullet Seed, as well as an Attack boost.</p>

<p>Despite Zebstrika's excellent Speed, it still faces stiff competition from its fellow Electric-types. Rotom-S's secondary Flying typing gifts it with an additional STAB, which allows it to dispatch Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Tangela, more reliably. However, Rotom-S's Flying typing is a double-edged sword, as it make Rotom-S vulnerable to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Rotom-S is forced to use Timid to outrun +2 Gorebyss, while Zebstrika can run Modest with no drawbacks. Electabuzz and Raichu also give Zebstrika a run for its money, as their access to Focus Blast enables them to hit Rock-types, such as Probopass and Golem, super effectively without relying on Hidden Power, and Electabuzz has a lot more power.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Overheat
move 4: Hidden Power Grass / Hidden Power Ice
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Lightningrod / Sap Sipper
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It might seem silly, preposterous even, to give one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier a Choice Scarf. However, with the item, Zebstrika's incredible Speed allows it to outrun powerful weather sweepers who would otherwise terrorize many teams such as Exeggutor, Gorebyss, and Victreebel. Outside of weather sweepers, Zebstrika is also useful for revenge killing many fast Pokemon that other Choice Scarf Pokemon would miss out on such as Swoobat, Cinccino, Altaria, and even Combusken. Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB attack, hitting Pokemon weak to it very hard; it is also Zebstrika's main weapon against Rain Dance teams. Volt Switch allows Zebstrika to grab momentum against many teams and is also useful against frail Pokemon like Simipour. Overheat is Zebstrika's main weapon against Sunny Day teams, as it hits Exeggutor and Victreebel for quick OHKOs. Overheat is also useful outside of Sunny Day for hitting Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Klang, and Pinsir. The choice between Hidden Power Grass and Hidden Power Ice comes down to personal preference. Hidden Power Grass hits Golurk, Golem, and Seismitoad harder and is preferred because of that. However, Hidden Power Ice is still handy on a team that struggles against Dragon-types, particularly Altaria and Fraxure, and is a very usable option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Modest is the preferred nature for the extra power it provides, though Timid is an option if you need to defeat Timid Ludicolo and Victreebel. It is noteworthy that Timid Zebstrika will almost never 2HKO Ludicolo, while Modest can almost always accomplish this. Lightningrod makes Zebstrika arguably the best counter to Rotom-S in NU, freely switching into its Electric-type attacks while getting a Special Attack boost in the process. On the other hand, Sap Sipper gives Zebstrika a pseudo sleep immunity, as nearly every sleep inducing attack is Grass-type. Sap Sipper also allows Zebstrika to come in on a Bullet Seed from Cinccino, outspeed, and do massive damage in return. Signal Beam is usable as a fourth attack if Psychic-types like Beheeyem and Musharna are issues, but it has little utility otherwise.</p>

<p>Zebstrika struggles to break anything that has a decent Special Defense stat; in particular, Normal-types, such as Miltank and Lickilicky, absolutely destroy this set. Because of this, Fighting-types such as Emboar and Sawk make great teammates to rip them to shreds. Absol is a nifty teammate because of its powerful Sucker Punch, which does a lot of damage to most Electric-types, something Zebstrika struggles to do. Absol is also handy to handle Psychic-types, which often have high Special Defense. Torterra is a great teammate for Zebstrika because of its resistance to Earthquake, which allows it to take on many threats to Zebstrika, such as Golem, with ease. Stealth Rock is needed in order to guarantee OHKOs on Pokemon such as Braviary and Charizard. Therefore, Golem, Regirock, Piloswine, or Probopass are recommended for their ability to reliably set it up.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Zebstrika has an incredibly barren movepool, with very few options not listed already. A physical set with Sap Sipper can be decent, but Zebstrika's lack of a movepool really lets it down. Charge Beam can be used to boost Zebstrika's Special Attack, but because Zebstrika relies on Overheat for coverage, it is often counterproductive. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, but usually will only lead to Zebstrika getting walled. Zebstrika can use Rain Dance and Thunder to good effect, but would rather not set up weather for the enemy to use. Discharge can be used for the extra paralysis chance, but the drop in power is not what Zebstrika wants. Motor Drive is handy for a Speed boost, but Zebstrika prefers Lightningrod because of its lack of power and already excellent Speed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Zebstrika isn't that strong, so anything with decent Special Defense will be able to handle it. Lickilicky and Flareon do extremely well against it due to their great Special Defense and recovery in Wish. Gardevoir can trace Lightningrod for a free Special Attack boost and has high enough Special Defense to tank an Overheat easily. Camerupt is a great counter because it is immune to Thunderbolt, resists Overheat, and takes negligible damage from Hidden Power, while OHKOing in return with STAB Earth Power. Dragon-types such as Altaria and Fraxure counter any set without Hidden Power Ice. Ground-types work well because they can tank anything except Hidden Power, which in turn is a terrible move to be locked into. Seismitoad does a great job because it hard counters any set without Hidden Power Grass. Probopass fears nothing from Zebstrika and can retaliate with Earth Power. Cradily can also tank any attack with ease and can either boost in front of Zebstrika or retaliate with a STAB attack. Bulky Fighting-types, in particular Gurdurr and Throh, can switch in on Zebstrika with impunity and hit it with Drain Punch or Circle Throw, respectively. Electric-types fear nothing from Zebstrika but can do little in return because it is immune to Electric-type attacks, so they are forced to whittle it down with unSTABed Hidden Powers. Regirock has a good enough Special Defense that it can switch in with ease and respond with Stone Edge or Rock Slide, easily defeating Zebstrika.</p>

[*]Life Orb / Choice specs special set, outclassed by Electrode for y reason as well as x reason (extend this keiran)
?

Raseri said:
A Choice Band / Life Orb physical set with Wild Charge / Flame Charge / Pursuit / Return. Why not use Eelektross?
at least mention sap sipper here so it doesn't seem as if this is a totally pointless set with no niche whatsoever. actually, i really don't think they are a good comparison lol. zebstrika has quite a different movepool and much better speed. just explain why it's mediocre

speaking of sap sipper, you should make a bigger mention of sap sipper blocking sleep. it makes zebstrika a decent sleep absorber. you mention how it can switch into amoonguss' spore, but i would like it if you mentioned that it is a decent sleep absorber in general

Raseri said:
Electabuzz and Raichu give Zebstrika a run for its money, as their access to Focus Blast enables them to beat Rock-types such as Probopass and Golem super effectively without relying on Hidden Power, and in Electabuzz's case, boasts an immunity to Sleep.
change that last part; zebstrika has an effective immunity to sleep as well. very few things use hypnosis in this meta.

other than that

[qc]1/3[/qc]

Added everything here as well :) talked about Electabuzz's greater power instead of sleep immunity, because Buzz can run Modest if its holding a scarf

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
Personally I'd slash Hidden Power Grass before Hidden Power Ice simply because Piloswine, Golem, and Seismitoad are far more common in the current metagame than Altaria or Fraxure. The former three are all very common switch-ins to Electric-types while you can simply Volt Switch out of Dragon-types. Looking good though!

[qc]2/3[/qc]

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
erisia said:
I don't see why Electrode deserves an LO set and Zebstrika doesn't because Electrode beats a single extra Pokemon (which is easy to check anyways), while Zebstrika can actually switch into a few powerful attacks without dying, and even popular status moves such as Amoonguss's Spore and Regirock's Thunder Wave. It can even boost its SpA in the process when using Lightningrod
I'm adamant that this is still the case, and I'm going to write a seperate set for QC if this isn't discussed further.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Adding to what Erisia said, Zebstrika also has Overheat and Flamethrower, which Electrode lacks.

So it all comes down to outspeeding one poke vs having sleep and grass immunity or electric immunity, better special bulk and Overheat / Flamethrower.

I think Zebstrika deserves a LO set too.

I'm adamant that this is still the case, and I'm going to write a seperate set for QC if this isn't discussed further.
the main reason for this is no one(to my knowledge) has actually tested this set. I have played a few battles with it, but of course ran into Swellow a lot. The two sets are similar, but I'm hesitant about adding it until there is actual testing done.

Adding to what Erisia said, Zebstrika also has Overheat and Flamethrower, which Electrode lacks.

So it all comes down to outspeeding one poke vs having sleep and grass immunity or electric immunity, better special bulk and Overheat / Flamethrower.

I think Zebstrika deserves a LO set too.
It actually only learns Overheat and not Flamethrower for some reason. This does affect it a bit but I still am thinking it deserves a LO set if Electrode gets one. Swellow is pretty relevant but Amoonguss is even more relevant than that bird.

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
the main reason for this is no one(to my knowledge) has actually tested this set. I have played a few battles with it, but of course ran into Swellow a lot. The two sets are similar, but I'm hesitant about adding it until there is actual testing done.
I know this goes against what we try to do here with qc, but really in this case how much testing is needed? We pretty much know exactly how the set plays, it just exchanges a few checks and counters with Electrode, as well as having Lightningrod. I agree that we should always be testing what we put up, but maybe in this case there doesn't really need to be an extensive examination of how it plays, since we have already done so for Electrode.

I might as well put my input here since I have tested LO Zebstrika before extensively. The main advantages of using it over LO Electrode were obvious and are stated above, Overheat plus an immunity to whatever type fits your team better. The added special defense didn't matter at all, but the immunity helped a ton against switching into Bullet Seeds, Spores, and even stopping annoying Volt Switchers with whichever ability you chose. Overheat is also really useful so Zebstrika can use Hidden Power Grass to hit threats such as Seismitoad that would otherwise take on Electrode easily.

LO Zebstrika deserves a set.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I see that the main analysis for this has been made, but people have been discussing LO Zebstrika. I have to agree that it deserves a set, so just post it and we can QC stamp it/approve it. Once it gets approved just write it up and leave it to GP :]

I see that the main analysis for this has been made, but people have been discussing LO Zebstrika. I have to agree that it deserves a set, so just post the it and we can QC stamp it/approve it. Once it gets approve just write it up and leave it to GP :]
ill add it to this skeleton this weekend, I jsut wrote the rest of it because no one had any complaints about it. I tested LO Zebstrika more, and am not a huge fan, but it does deserve a set :)

umm yeah LO can go through as a second set, I don't have the experience/time to write it up. Just going to say this is GP ready now

Amateur GP check. Take whatever you think is useful from it.
Additions in Blue
Subtractions in Red
Comments in Purple

[Overview]

<p>Once ignored in favour favor of its Electric-type brethren, (remove comma) due to its average attacking stats and barren movepool, however, Zebstrika was finally bestowed with a niche to separate it from its peers with (there might be a better way than this to rework this sentence if you don't like how I did it, but you want the part about Zebstrika at the front because the dependent clause at the beginning of the sentence refers to it) the arrival of Ludicolo, Charizard, and Sawsbuck—and consequently weather's uprise rise in popularity—finally bestowed Zebstrika with a niche to seperate it from its peers. Zebstrika could finally make use of its amazing Speed stat, alongside a Choice Scarf to outspeed various weather sweepers, such as Gorebyss, Exeggutor and Victreebel. Even without a Choice Scarf, Zebstrika's excellent Speed tier places it above the likes of Cinccino, Swoobat and Serperior. Complimenting/In addition to/another word you prefer this Speed, Zebstrika has two excellent abilities at its disposal; (change to colon) Lightningrod and Sap Sipper. The former graces Zebstrika with an immunity to Electric-types moves, (remove comma) as well as a much need power boost, while the latter bestows Zebstrika with an immunity to Grass-types moves, such as Amoonguss's Spore or Cinccino's Bullet Seed, as well as an Attack boost.</p>

<p>Despite Zebstrika's excellent Speed, it still faces stiff competition from its fellow Electric-types. Rotom-S's secondary Flying typing gifts it with an additional STAB move, which allows it to dispatch Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangela more reliably. However, Rotom-S's Flying typing is a double-edged sword, as it make Rotom-S vunerable vulnerable to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Rotom-S is forced to use Timid to outrun +2 Gorebyss, while Zebstrika can run Modest with no drawbacks. Electabuzz and Raichu also give Zebstrika a run for its money, as their access to Focus Blast enables them to beat hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Golem super effectively without relying on Hidden Power (either rework the first half of this sentence or make the bit at the end about Electabuzz's power a new sentence; the way you have it phrased now doesn't work with the clause you have before it beginning with "as their access to Focus Blast..."), and in Electabuzz's case, a lot more power.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It might seem silly, preposterous even, to give one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier a Choice Scarf. However, with the item, Zebstrika's incredible Speed allows it to outrun powerful weather sweepers who would otherwise terrorize many teams, such as Exeggutor, Gorebyss, and Victreebel. Outside of weather sweepers, Zebstrika is also useful for revenge killing many fast Pokemon that other Choice Scarf Pokemon would miss out on, such as Swoobat, Cinccino, Altaria, and even Combusken. Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB attack, hitting Pokemon weak to it very hard, (change to semicolon) it is also its Zebstrika's main weapon against Rain Dance teams. Volt Switch allows Zebstrika to grab momentum against many teams and is also useful against frail Pokemon like Simipour. Overheat is Zebstrika's main weapon against Sunny Day teams, as it hits Exeggutor and Victreebel for quick OHKOs. Overheat is also useful outside of Sunny Day for hitting Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Klang, and Pinsir. The choice between Hidden Power Grass and Hidden Power Ice comes down to personal preference. Hidden Power Grass hits Golurk, Golem, and Seismitoad harder, (remove comma) and is preferred because of that. However, Hidden Power Ice is still handy on a team that struggles against Dragon-types, particularly Altaria and Fraxure, and is a very usable option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Modest is the preferred nature for the extra power it provides, though Timid is an option if you need to defeat Timid Ludicolo and Victreebel. It is noteworthy that Timid Zebstrika will almost never 2HKO Ludicolo, while Modest can almost always accomplish this. Lightningrod allows makes Zebstrika arguably the best counter to Rotom-S in NU, freely switching to switch into its Electric-type attacks from Rotom-S, while getting a Special Attack boost in the process, making it arguably the best counter to the fan in NU (the main reason I'm suggesting this rewording is that I'm pretty sure Smogon tries to avoid using expressions like 'the bird' or 'the fan' when possible; if you think this is an overly excessive change, the original is probably fine though). On the other hand, Sap Sipper gives Zebstrika a pseudo sleep immunity, because as nearly every sleep inducing attack is Grass-type, like Spore or Sleep Powder. Sap Sipper also allows Zebstrika to come in on a Bullet Seed from Cinccino, outspeed, and do massive damage in return. Signal Beam is usable as a fourth attack if Psychic-types like Beheeyem and Musharna are issues, but it has little utility otherwise.</p>

<p>Zebstrika struggles to break anything that has a decent Special Defense stat, (change to semicolon) as a result, such Pokemon, particularly Normal-types such as Miltank and Lickilicky, absolutely destroy this set. Because of this, Fighting-types such as Emboar or and Sawk make great teammates to rip them to shreds. Absol is a nifty teammate because of its powerful Sucker Punch, which does a lot of damage to most Electric-types, which something Zebstrika struggles to do significant damage to. It Absol is also handy to handle Psychic-types, which often have high Special Defense. Torterra is a great teammate for Zebstrika because of its resistance to Earthquake, which allows it to take on many threats to Zebstrika, like such as Golem, with ease. Stealth Rock is needed in order to guarantee OHKOs on Pokemon such as Braviary and Charizard. Therefore, Golem, Regirock, Piloswine, or Probopass are reccomended recommended for their ability to reliably set up the hazard.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Zebstrika has an incredibly barren movepool, with very few options not listed already. A physical set with Sap Sipper can be decent, but the Zebstrika's lack of a movepool really lets it down. Charge Beam can be used to boost its Special Attack, but because Zebstrika relies on Overheat for coverage (add comma) it is counterproductive. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, but will usually only lead to it getting walled. Zebstrika can use Rain Dance and Thunder to good effect, but would rather not give set up weather for the enemy to use. Discharge can be used for the extra paralysis chance, but the drop in power is not what Zebstrika wants. Motor Drive is handy for a its potential Speed boost, but Zebstrika prefers Lightningrod because of its lack of power and already excellent Speed., Speed is the one stat it excels in.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Zebstrika isn't that strong, so anything with decent Special Defense will be able to handle it. Lickilicky and FLareon Flareon do extremely well against it due to their great Special Defense and recovery in Wish. Gardevoir can trace Lightningrod for a free Special Attack boost, (remove comma) and has high enough Special Defense to tank an Overheat easily. Camerupt is a great counter because it is immune to Thunderbolt, resists Overheat (add comma) and takes negligible damage from Hidden Power, while OHKOing in return with STAB Earth Power. Dragon-types such as Altaria and Fraxure counter any set without Hidden Power Ice. Ground-types work well because they can tank anything except Hidden Power, which in turn is a terrible move to be locked in to into. Seismitoad does a great job because it hard counters any set without Hidden Power Grass. Probopass fears nothing from Zebstrika and can retaliate with Earth Power. Cradily also can tank any attack with ease, (remove comma) and can either boost in front of Zebstrika or retaliate with a STAB attack. Bulky Fighting-types, in particular Gurdurr and Throh, can switch in on Zebstrika with impunity and hit it with Drain Bunch Punch (lol Zebstrika's not a banana) or Circle Throw, respectively. Electric-types fear nothing from Zebstrika, (remove comma) but can do little in return because it is immune to Electric-type attacks, so they are forced to whittle it down with unSTABed Hidden Powers. Regirock has a good enough Special Defense that it can switch in with ease and respond with Stone Edge or Rock Slide, easily defeating Zebstrika.</p>

Going over my amcheck and stamping it with a few changes from the above. Colors are the same though. Good job on writing this!

[Overview]

<p>Once ignored in favour favor of its Electric-type brethren, (remove comma) due to its average attacking stats and barren movepool, however, Zebstrika was finally bestowed with a niche to separate it from its peers with (there might be a better way than this to rework this sentence if you don't like how I did it, but you want the part about Zebstrika at the front because the dependent clause at the beginning of the sentence refers to it) the arrival of Ludicolo, Charizard, and Sawsbuck—and consequently weather's uprise rise in popularity—finally bestowed Zebstrika with a niche to seperate it from its peers. Zebstrika could finally make use of its amazing Speed stat, alongside a Choice Scarf to outspeed various weather sweepers, such as Gorebyss, Exeggutor and Victreebel. Even without a Choice Scarf, Zebstrika's excellent Speed tier places it above the likes of Cinccino, Swoobat and Serperior. Complimenting/In addition to/another word you prefer this Speed, Zebstrika has two excellent abilities at its disposal; (change to colon) Lightningrod and Sap Sipper. The former graces Zebstrika with an immunity to Electric-types moves, (remove comma) as well as a much need power boost, while the latter bestows Zebstrika with an immunity to Grass-types moves, such as Amoonguss's Spore or and Cinccino's Bullet Seed, as well as an Attack boost.</p>

<p>Despite Zebstrika's excellent Speed, it still faces stiff competition from its fellow Electric-types. Rotom-S's secondary Flying typing gifts it with an additional STAB move, which allows it to dispatch Grass-types such as Amoonguss and Tangela more reliably. However, Rotom-S's Flying typing is a double-edged sword, as it make Rotom-S vunerable vulnerable to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Rotom-S is forced to use Timid to outrun +2 Gorebyss, while Zebstrika can run Modest with no drawbacks. Electabuzz and Raichu also give Zebstrika a run for its money, as their access to Focus Blast enables them to beat hit Rock-types such as Probopass and Golem super effectively without relying on Hidden Power, and in Electabuzz's case, Electabuzz has a lot more power.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It might seem silly, preposterous even, to give one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier a Choice Scarf. However, with the item, Zebstrika's incredible Speed allows it to outrun powerful weather sweepers who would otherwise terrorize many teams, such as Exeggutor, Gorebyss, and Victreebel. Outside of weather sweepers, Zebstrika is also useful for revenge killing many fast Pokemon that other Choice Scarf Pokemon would miss out on, such as Swoobat, Cinccino, Altaria, and even Combusken. Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB attack, hitting Pokemon weak to it very hard, (change to semicolon) it is also its Zebstrika's main weapon against Rain Dance teams. Volt Switch allows Zebstrika to grab momentum against many teams and is also useful against frail Pokemon like Simipour. Overheat is Zebstrika's main weapon against Sunny Day teams, as it hits Exeggutor and Victreebel for quick OHKOs. Overheat is also useful outside of Sunny Day for hitting Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Klang, and Pinsir. The choice between Hidden Power Grass and Hidden Power Ice comes down to personal preference. Hidden Power Grass hits Golurk, Golem, and Seismitoad harder, (remove comma) and is preferred because of that. However, Hidden Power Ice is still handy on a team that struggles against Dragon-types, particularly Altaria and Fraxure, and is a very usable option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Modest is the preferred nature for the extra power it provides, though Timid is an option if you need to defeat Timid Ludicolo and Victreebel. It is noteworthy that Timid Zebstrika will almost never 2HKO Ludicolo, while Modest can almost always accomplish this. Lightningrod allows makes Zebstrika arguably the best counter to Rotom-S in NU, freely switching to switch into its Electric-type attacks from Rotom-S, while getting a Special Attack boost in the process, making it arguably the best counter to the fan in NU (the main reason I'm suggesting this rewording is that I'm pretty sure Smogon tries to avoid using expressions like 'the bird' or 'the fan' when possible; if you think this is an overly excessive change, the original is probably fine though). On the other hand, Sap Sipper gives Zebstrika a pseudo sleep immunity, because as nearly every sleep inducing attack is Grass-type, like Spore or Sleep Powder. Sap Sipper also allows Zebstrika to come in on a Bullet Seed from Cinccino, outspeed, and do massive damage in return. Signal Beam is usable as a fourth attack if Psychic-types like Beheeyem and Musharna are issues, but it has little utility otherwise.</p>

<p>Zebstrika struggles to break anything that has a decent Special Defense stat, (change to semicolon) particularly in particular, Normal-types such as Miltank and Lickilicky, (remove comma) absolutely destroy this set. Because of this, Fighting-types such as Emboar or and Sawk make great teammates to rip them to shreds. Absol is a nifty teammate because of its powerful Sucker Punch, which does a lot of damage to most Electric-types, which something Zebstrika struggles to do significant damage to. It Absol is also handy to handle Psychic-types, which often have high Special Defense. Torterra is a great teammate for Zebstrika because of its resistance to Earthquake, which allows it to take on many threats to Zebstrika, like such as Golem, with ease. Stealth Rock is needed in order to guarantee OHKOs on Pokemon such as Braviary and Charizard. Therefore, Golem, Regirock, Piloswine, or Probopass are reccomended recommended for their ability to reliably set up the hazard.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Zebstrika has an incredibly barren movepool, with very few options not listed already. A physical set with Sap Sipper can be decent, but the Zebstrika's lack of a movepool really lets it down. Charge Beam can be used to boost its Zebstrika's Special Attack, but because Zebstrika relies on Overheat for coverage (add comma) it is often counterproductive. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, but will usually only lead to it Zebstrika getting walled. Zebstrika can use Rain Dance and Thunder to good effect, but would rather not give set up weather for the enemy to use. Discharge can be used for the extra paralysis chance, but the drop in power is not what Zebstrika wants. Motor Drive is handy for a its potential Speed boost, but Zebstrika prefers Lightningrod because of its lack of power and already excellent Speed., Speed is the one stat it excels in.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Zebstrika isn't that strong, so anything with decent Special Defense will be able to handle it. Lickilicky and FLareon Flareon do extremely well against it due to their great Special Defense and recovery in Wish. Gardevoir can trace Lightningrod for a free Special Attack boost, (remove comma) and has high enough Special Defense to tank an Overheat easily. Camerupt is a great counter because it is immune to Thunderbolt, resists Overheat (add comma) and takes negligible damage from Hidden Power, while OHKOing in return with STAB Earth Power. Dragon-types such as Altaria and Fraxure counter any set without Hidden Power Ice. Ground-types work well because they can tank anything except Hidden Power, which in turn is a terrible move to be locked in to into. Seismitoad does a great job because it hard counters any set without Hidden Power Grass. Probopass fears nothing from Zebstrika and can retaliate with Earth Power. Cradily also can tank any attack with ease, (remove comma) and can either boost in front of Zebstrika or retaliate with a STAB attack. Bulky Fighting-types, in particular Gurdurr and Throh, can switch in on Zebstrika with impunity and hit it with Drain Bunch Punch (lol Zebstrika's not a banana) or Circle Throw, respectively. Electric-types fear nothing from Zebstrika, (remove comma) but can do little in return because it is immune to Electric-type attacks, so they are forced to whittle it down with unSTABed Hidden Powers. Regirock has a good enough Special Defense that it can switch in with ease and respond with Stone Edge or Rock Slide, easily defeating Zebstrika.</p>

[gp]1/2[/gp]

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Once ignored in favor of its Electric-type brethren due to its average attacking stats and barren movepool, Zebstrika was finally bestowed with a niche to separate it from its peers with the arrival of Ludicolo, Charizard, and Sawsbuck—and consequently weather's rise in popularity. Zebstrika could finally make use of its amazing Speed stat, alongside a Choice Scarf to outspeed various weather sweepers such as Gorebyss, Exeggutor and Victreebel. Even without a Choice Scarf, Zebstrika's excellent Speed tier places it above the likes of Cinccino, Swoobat, and Serperior. Complimenting its Speed, Zebstrika has two excellent abilities at its disposal: Lightningrod and Sap Sipper. The former graces Zebstrika with an immunity to Electric-types moves as well as a much needed power boost, while the latter bestows Zebstrika with an immunity to Grass-types moves, such as Amoonguss's Spore and Cinccino's Bullet Seed, as well as an Attack boost.</p>

<p>Despite Zebstrika's excellent Speed, it still faces stiff competition from its fellow Electric-types. Rotom-S's secondary Flying typing gifts it with an additional STAB, which allows it to dispatch Grass-types, such as Amoonguss and Tangela, more reliably. However, Rotom-S's Flying typing is a double-edged sword, as it make Rotom-S vulnerable to Stealth Rock. Additionally, Rotom-S is forced to use Timid to outrun +2 Gorebyss, while Zebstrika can run Modest with no drawbacks. Electabuzz and Raichu also give Zebstrika a run for its money, as their access to Focus Blast enables them to hit Rock-types, such as Probopass and Golem, super effectively without relying on Hidden Power, and Electabuzz has lot more power.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>It might seem silly, preposterous even, to give one of the fastest Pokemon in the tier a Choice Scarf. However, with the item, Zebstrika's incredible Speed allows it to outrun powerful weather sweepers who would otherwise terrorize many teams such as Exeggutor, Gorebyss, and Victreebel. Outside of weather sweepers, Zebstrika is also useful for revenge killing many fast Pokemon that other Choice Scarf Pokemon would miss out on such as Swoobat, Cinccino, Altaria, and even Combusken. Thunderbolt is a reliable STAB attack, hitting Pokemon weak to it very hard; it is also Zebstrika's main weapon against Rain Dance teams. Volt Switch allows Zebstrika to grab momentum against many teams and is also useful against frail Pokemon like Simipour. Overheat is Zebstrika's main weapon against Sunny Day teams, as it hits Exeggutor and Victreebel for quick OHKOs. Overheat is also useful outside of Sunny Day for hitting Pokemon such as Amoonguss, Klang, and Pinsir. The choice between Hidden Power Grass and Hidden Power Ice comes down to personal preference. Hidden Power Grass hits Golurk, Golem, and Seismitoad harder and is preferred because of that. However, Hidden Power Ice is still handy on a team that struggles against Dragon-types, particularly Altaria and Fraxure, and is a very usable option.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Modest is the preferred nature for the extra power it provides, though Timid is an option if you need to defeat Timid Ludicolo and Victreebel. It is noteworthy that Timid Zebstrika will almost never 2HKO Ludicolo, while Modest can almost always accomplish this. Lightningrod makes Zebstrika arguably the best counter to Rotom-S in NU, freely switching into its Electric-type attacks while getting a Special Attack boost in the process. On the other hand, Sap Sipper gives Zebstrika a pseudo sleep immunity, as nearly every sleep inducing attack is Grass-type. Sap Sipper also allows Zebstrika to come in on a Bullet Seed from Cinccino, outspeed, and do massive damage in return. Signal Beam is usable as a fourth attack if Psychic-types like Beheeyem and Musharna are issues, but it has little utility otherwise.</p>

<p>Zebstrika struggles to break anything that has a decent Special Defense stat; in particular, Normal-types, such as Miltank and Lickilicky, absolutely destroy this set. Because of this, Fighting-types such as Emboar and Sawk make great teammates to rip them to shreds. Absol is a nifty teammate because of its powerful Sucker Punch, which does a lot of damage to most Electric-types, something Zebstrika struggles to do. Absol is also handy to handle Psychic-types, which often have high Special Defense. Torterra is a great teammate for Zebstrika because of its resistance to Earthquake, which allows it to take on many threats to Zebstrika, such as Golem, with ease. Stealth Rock is needed in order to guarantee OHKOs on Pokemon such as Braviary and Charizard. Therefore, Golem, Regirock, Piloswine, or Probopass are recommended for their ability to reliably set it up.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Like most Electric-types, Zebstrika has an incredibly barren movepool, with very few options not listed already. A physical set with Sap Sipper can be decent, but Zebstrika's lack of a movepool really lets it down. Charge Beam can be used to boost Zebstrika's Special Attack, but because Zebstrika relies on Overheat for coverage, it is often counterproductive. Substitute can be used to ease prediction, but usually will only lead to Zebstrika getting walled. Zebstrika can use Rain Dance and Thunder to good effect, but would rather not set up weather for the enemy to use. Discharge can be used for the extra paralysis chance, but the drop in power is not what Zebstrika wants. Motor Drive is handy for a Speed boost, but Zebstrika prefers Lightningrod because of its lack of power and already excellent Speed.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Zebstrika isn't that strong, so anything with decent Special Defense will be able to handle it. Lickilicky and Flareon do extremely well against it due to their great Special Defense and recovery in Wish. Gardevoir can trace Lightningrod for a free Special Attack boost and has high enough Special Defense to tank an Overheat easily. Camerupt is a great counter because it is immune to Thunderbolt, resists Overheat, and takes negligible damage from Hidden Power, while OHKOing in return with STAB Earth Power. Dragon-types such as Altaria and Fraxure counter any set without Hidden Power Ice. Ground-types work well because they can tank anything except Hidden Power, which in turn is a terrible move to be locked into. Seismitoad does a great job because it hard counters any set without Hidden Power Grass. Probopass fears nothing from Zebstrika and can retaliate with Earth Power. Cradily can also tank any attack with ease and can either boost in front of Zebstrika or retaliate with a STAB attack. Bulky Fighting-types, in particular Gurdurr and Throh, can switch in on Zebstrika with impunity and hit it with Drain Punch or Circle Throw, respectively. Electric-types fear nothing from Zebstrika but can do little in return because it is immune to Electric-type attacks, so they are forced to whittle it down with unSTABed Hidden Powers. Regirock has a good enough Special Defense that it can switch in with ease and respond with Stone Edge or Rock Slide, easily defeating Zebstrika.</p>

this was excellent

[gp]2/2[/gp]

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, given the uproar I've made about LO Zeb, I feel somewhat obligated to write the set. :p Will do so in a few days unless anyone has any objections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)