Zoroark (Update) (QC 3/3) (GP 2/2)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus

QC Checks: (PK Gaming, kokoloko, DestinyUnknown)

GP Checks: (Zystral, Oglemi)

[Overview]

<p>Zoroark is a very unique Pokemon; its signature ability, Illusion, allows it to masquerade as the last Pokemon in the player's party. Although Team Preview theoretically hurts this strategy, it does not say when or even if Zoroark will be used in the battle. Zoroark is also very powerful in terms of offense, wielding a base 105 Attack and a base 120 Special Attack. In addition, Zoroark learns both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, allowing it to boost either of its offensive stats. With 105 base Speed, it outspeeds positive natured base 100s, while also forcing a Speed tie with Mienshao and Mismagius. However, Zoroark's biggest downfall is its very poor bulk; it can barely switch in on neutral hits, and has trouble facing down priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch. As such, Zoroark is a difficult Pokemon to use effectively. Although it may be viewed as a gimmicky Pokemon, it is very deadly when used properly.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Dark Pulse / Night Daze
move 2: Flamethrower
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Trick
item: Choice Specs
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark learns Trick through the BW2 move tutors, Choice Specs Zoroark has increased in effectiveness tremendously. Not only does it hit 508 Special Attack with the boost from Choice Specs, it can now also cripple the likes of Gligar and Hitmontop, making these Pokemon significantly easier to handle. Although both Dark Pulse and Night Daze will hit anything that doesn't resist it very hard, it is generally better to use the former over the latter due to having perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze has slightly more power, and the accuracy drop it may inflict could be useful. With threats like Snorlax, Empoleon, Scrafty, and Umbreon weak to Fighting, Focus Blast grants Zoroark the ability to hit them for massive damage. Although Flamethrower generally provides redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it is Zoroark's strongest option against common UU Pokemon such as Bronzong and Roserade.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark's defenses are terrible, its EV spread should simply maximize Special Attack and Speed, the only two stats it can make any good use of. If bulky Water-types are a problem for you, Zoroark can use Grass Knot over Flamethrower to hit them, at the cost of having no way of hitting Heracross. Using Grass Knot over Focus Blast may seem like a solution to this problem, but without Focus Blast, Zoroark has no way of hitting Pokemon like Snorlax and Empoleon.</p>

<p>When considering a Pokemon to disguise Zoroark as, it is ideal to use a Pokemon that takes the same entry hazards damage as Zoroark. In addition, it should be able to lure defensive Pokemon, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, that Zoroark can OHKO or cripple with Trick. Choice Scarf Heracross therefore makes a great partner as Zoroark can OHKO Cofagrigus with Dark Pulse and cripple Gligar with Trick. Zoroark will have trouble with Choice Scarf Mienshao and opposing Choice Scarf Heracross as both outspeed and OHKO it. Using a Cofagrigus of your own helps with this problem as it can switch in on both threats with ease and cripple them with Will-O-Wisp; in addition, Mummy nullifies their abilities, which is especially important in the case of Heracross.</p>

[SET]
name: All-Out Attacker
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Flamethrower / Grass Knot
move 4: Sucker Punch
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With great coverage and access to Sucker Punch, Zoroark can run an all-out attacker set capable of a late-game sweep. Many players will attempt to check Zoroark by using a faster Pokemon. However, with Sucker Punch, Zoroark can pick off weakened revenge killers. Dark Pulse or Night Daze are used for STAB alongside Sucker Punch, due to the fact that Sucker Punch fails if the opponent does not attack. Focus Blast provides Zoroark with nearly unresisted coverage, giving it an option to hit Snorlax, Empoleon, and Umbreon; in addition, Focus Blast OHKOes any Scrafty that does not invest in its Special Defense. Flamethrower gives Zoroark an option for hitting Pokemon such as Heracross and Bronzong. However, if you have these threats covered already, Grass Knot is a solid option worth considering over Flamethrower in order to get a harder hit on Pokemon such as Suicune and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread simply maximizes Special Attack and Speed; maximizing Zoroark's Speed allows it to tie with Mienshao and Mismagius, and investing in extra Attack EVs does not give Sucker Punch any notable KOs. Even when using Focus Blast, Zoroark may still struggle against Pokemon such as Snorlax, as it does not OHKO. Heracross is a good teammate as it can handle Snorlax easily. In addition, while disguised as Heracross, Zoroark can lure Pokemon such as Gligar and Cofagrigus that trouble Heracross. Fighting-type Pokemon carrying Choice Scarf will be difficult for Zoroark to handle, as they outspeed and OHKO it. To make matters worse, Fighting-types resist Sucker Punch. Cofagrigus is a great switch-in to these threats due to its massive Defense, immunity to Fighting, and ability to cripple them with Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[SET]
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Nasty Plot
move 2: Dark Pulse
move 4: Flamethrower / Substitute
item: Life Orb / Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zoroark is one of few Pokemon with access to Nasty Plot, allowing it to also function as a powerful boosting sweeper. At +2, Zoroark reaches 678 Special Attack, which, when coupled with Life Orb, makes it incredibly difficult to wall; not even Snorlax can wall it, as it is OHKOed by a +2 Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Dark Pulse should be the only STAB move ever used on this set, as missing is undesirable. In addition, the extra power from Night Daze is not as relevant with Nasty Plot boosts. Focus Blast lets Zoroark hit everything bar Heracross at least neutrally when combined with Dark Pulse, while also allowing it to get past Pokemon such as Snorlax, Umbreon, and Scrafty. Flamethrower is Zoroark's strongest option against Bronzong, Roserade, and Heracross, while Substitute is another option worth considering due to the fact that Zoroark will force many switches thanks to Illusion. In addition, Substitute gives Zoroark a buffer against enemy attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>When Substitute is used over Flamethrower, it is preferred to use Leftovers as Zoroark's held item instead of Life Orb. With Substitute and Life Orb chipping away at Zoroark's health, it will go down very quickly. However, having to use Leftovers will cause a notable drop in Zoroark's damage output. When using Flamethrower, Zoroark should always use Life Orb as its held item because if it doesn't OHKO the opponent, its sweep will likely be cut short.</p>

<p>Zoroark's disguise should be able to force out plenty of Pokemon, as this is the best way to grant Zoroark opportunities to set up. Heracross can force out Pokemon such as Snorlax and Empoleon, which Zoroark would otherwise be unable to set up on. Although Cofagrigus may seem like a strange disguise, it forces out any Fighting-type not named Scrafty, giving Zoroark even more opportunities to set up. In addition, Cofagrigus can learn Nasty Plot as well, so the disguise is not necessarily broken when Zoroark uses Nasty Plot.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Scarf
move 4: Trick / U-turn
item: Choice Scarf

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By using a Choice Scarf, Zoroark becomes an effective revenge killer who can get surprise kills due to its signature ability. In addition, while many players may attempt to use Choice Scarf Heracross to revenge kill Zoroark, this strategy will backfire against Choice Scarf Zoroark. Night Daze is a little more valuable on this set than it is on other sets because the extra damage output may be incredibly useful when attempting to revenge kill an opposing Pokemon, but it is still generally better to use Dark Pulse due to its perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze may drop the opponent's accuracy, which can come in handy if Zoroark cannot OHKO the opposing Pokemon. Focus Blast attains near-perfect coverage alongside its STAB, and allows Zoroark to revenge kill Scrafty. Although Flamethrower has redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it allows Zoroark to hit Heracross for super effective damage. In the last slot, Trick is generally more useful as it can cripple defensive Pokemon such as Cofagrigus, Dusclops, and Gligar; however, by using Trick, the opponent may be able to sweep more easily later. Because of this, U-turn can be used to gain momentum when the opposing Pokemon switches out.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Ice can be used on this set as it hits Gligar super effectively, but it has poor coverage otherwise. Unlike other Zoroark sets, this set is not weak to Choice Scarf Heracross, as Zoroark outspeeds and KOs it with Flamethrower after a little prior damage. However, Choice Scarf Mienshao may still be a problem, as it ties with Zoroark and OHKOes with Hi Jump Kick. Cofagrigus handles Mienshao with ease due to its immunity to Hi Jump Kick and its massive Defense stat. Zoroark will be a much more effective revenge killer if disguising it as Pokemon that encourage whatever you want to revenge kill to stay in. Disguising it as Slowbro encourages special attackers, such as Chandelure and Roserade, to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill these Pokemon with Dark Pulse and Flamethrower, respectively. On the other hand, although disguising it as Snorlax may seem like a terrible idea as both Snorlax and Zoroark are weak to Fighting-type attacks, disguising it as Snorlax encourages Heracross and Scrafty to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill both Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zoroark learns Pursuit, which may seem appealing to trap Pokemon such as Chandelure and Mismagius. However, Zoroark lacks the stats to effectively use Pursuit, making Weavile and Honchkrow better options for using Pursuit. By using Taunt, Zoroark prevents the opponent from going for non-attacking moves, making Sucker Punch much more effective. However, Zoroark is so frail that if the opponent does decide to attack the turn it uses Taunt, Zoroark is likely to get OHKOed. Calm Mind boosts both Zoroark's Special Attack and its Special Defense, but its poor defenses make Nasty Plot a better option. Zoroark does have the Attack stat to use a Swords Dance set, but it does not have the physical movepool to pull off an effective one. Although Zoroark has the coverage to pull off an Agility set, this set is weak and Zoroark is already fast enough without Agility. Extrasensory can hit Fighting-types, but it has poor coverage and doesn't hit much outside of Hitmontop, Machamp, and Mienshao.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When Illusion is in effect, countering Zoroark is virtually impossible unless you see something like a Flygon taking Spikes damage. When disguised as Heracross, Cofagrigus and Dusclops get smashed by Dark Pulse or Night Daze on a switch in, while Gligar gets crippled by Trick. Even if the opponent predicts the Pokemon in question to be Zoroark in disguise, Hitmontop will be crippled by Trick. However, once its disguise has been discovered, beating Zoroark is very easy. Specially defensive Togekiss can take any attack from Zoroark and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Hitmontop is another great switch-in, safely taking any attack bar Extrasensory and OHKOing with Close Combat. Snorlax won't enjoy taking a Focus Blast, but it can switch in on any other attack and deal massive damage to Zoroark with its STAB; RestTalk variants of Snorlax 2HKO with Body Slam while offensive variants OHKO with Return after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>If you can't counter Zoroark, it can be checked by faster Pokemon. Cobalion outspeeds non-Choice Scarf Zoroark and OHKOes with Close Combat, allowing Cobalion to set up Swords Dance as Zoroark flees. In addition, if Cobalion switches in on Dark Pulse or Night Daze, it gets an Attack boost thanks to Justified. Be aware, however, that Cobalion cannot switch in on Focus Blast or Flamethrower. In addition, Zoroark is very easy to revenge kill with Choice Scarf users, particularly Heracross and Mienshao as they resist Sucker Punch.</p>

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Looks so far, though on the SD set, is the use of SpA really worth losing out to Meinshao? Just saying, I would want to tie with Mienshao rather than outright lose to it.

Swords Dance is really outclassed and quite weak, especially without a boost. It wasn't good enough to warrant a set in the old analysis, and nothing has changed to make me believe that it deserves a set now. The All-Out Attacker needs to have Substitute slashed somewhere, as does the Nasty Plot set. You say that Zoroark is too frail to utilize Substitute; this notion is completely incorrect. There are two main types of Substitute users, bulky Pokemon who use Subs to block status for ease of setting up, and fast, frail Pokemon that use Substitute as a buffer against priority and Choice Scarf Pokemon. Zoroark is one of the latter, and it is most effective when using Substitute. Due to Zoroark's unique ability, it tends to force plenty of switches, meaning that setting up a Substitute on the switch is fairly easy to do.

So in short, scrap the SD set, and add Substitute as a slash to the first two sets.

Swords Dance is really outclassed and quite weak, especially without a boost. It wasn't good enough to warrant a set in the old analysis, and nothing has changed to make me believe that it deserves a set now.
I would think the addition of Low Kick would make it worth another look...

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
From a cursory glance this analysis looks good. I want to see the current Choice set be split into 2 different set, and that the Choice Specs set be moved up to #1, as it's currently Zoroark's strongest set now that it has Trick. I understand that its a big change, and it might be hard to swallow, but trust me when I say that it's Zoroark's strongest in current UU, bar none. Trick really made that much of a difference for this sets viability, and while it seems like a minor benefit on paper, its uses in reality are substantial. On top of being a strong special attacker, Zoroark can use Trick to mess up team cores and render certain Pokemon useless. There have been many times where i've been placed into a 50/50 where the opponent knows I have Trick and hesistent to switch into a Zoroark counter (Hitmontop) or a Heracross counter (Gligar). In the above scenario, Trick is the ideal move since regardless of what your opponent does they're going to have one of their important Pokemon crippled. I've also been saved by Tricking various set up users that attempt to set up in an act of desperation (Kingdra, Scrafty, etc.) Finally, having a strong special attacker with awesome coverage in your pocket is always useful.

If nothing else, August & I peaking the ladder with a team that uses Specs Zoroark (and never once considering to switch sets) should be a symptom of this sets effectiveness. Make sure to mention Heracross as Zoroark's best offensive partner (and vice versa). Choice Specs Zoroark is Choice Scarf's best partner because it can cripple or kill every single one of Heracross' counters, and since both Pokemon share a neutrality to SR, the disguise isn't ruined even if hazards are in play (LO recoil typically ends up ruining Illusion making those sets less effective with Heracross)

The Choice Specs set should look like this:

[SET]
move 1: Dark Pulse

(with GK in AC)

As for the other sets:

All-out attacker
Focus Blast should be the primary option on the 3rd slot. You still need it to get substantial damage on Snorlax, Empoleon and Umbreon, 3 Pokemon that I consider more important than bulky waters (Bulky waters are really waning in use...). You can still keep GK as a secondary slash and possibly add U-turn as a third.

Nasty Plot
Mention substitute in AC as an option. SubNP Zoroark is pretty damn dangerous. Also mention that setting up a NP with Illusion is easy, it's just that you might have a hard time sweeping with all of the fighting-type scarfers loose in UU. No need to mention Dual Screen support.

I will test ASAP Swords Dance and get back to you on that. I'll also test the scarf set to see if it's viable.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can certainly see how Focus Blast is more useful now. Plus, being able to hit Scrafty seems like a pretty big deal. So yeah, I'm putting Focus Blast in and moving Specs to the top.

I've never been too sure of Scarf. However, Illusion could be used to grant Zoroark a surprise revenge kill. Still, that's on paper, and I haven't actually used Scarf Zoroark (never had to, I always use Scarf Heracross alongside Zoroark), so I'm not sure.

Looks so far, though on the SD set, is the use of SpA really worth losing out to Meinshao? Just saying, I would want to tie with Mienshao rather than outright lose to it.
I put those SpA EVs there to get a 2HKO on Suicune with Grass Knot after Stealth Rock, but I too am not sure of it. However, due to the use of a Naughty nature (Sucker Punch on that set needs as much power as it can get), it isn't beating Mienshao anyway. I don't think it would even win if a Naive nature were used.

EDIT: So far I'm not really pleased with the results of my testing with Swords Dance. It may be better if I had Night Slash or something so it could use a STAB move that isn't Sucker Punch, but I was using a pretty poorly-built team (literally made in 5 minutes with zero thought), so I'll be making a team (with thought put into it) to test SD Zoroark on, but at the moment I'm leaning towards "no" on SD Zoroark. I'll wait for some comments from QC though.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm back from testing SD Zoroark. Suffice it to say, I think it's barely viable. I'd appreciate it if the other QC members weighed their thoughts on that set (hell, I wouldn't be opposed to rejecting it period) because i'm not really sure what to think of SD Zoroark. On the one hand, it can cleanly sweep weakened teams after a SD with STAB Sucker Punch, but on the other hand there are numerous Dark resists in UU, and bypassing Sucker Punch can be easy when you it coming. And the other big issue here is that 9 times out of 10 I wish I was using any of Zoroark's other sets.

I'd also like Night Daze to be slashed with Dark Pulse on every set. (Back from testing that too). If you can stand the imperfect accuracy, you'll realize that Night Daze' secondary effect is actually better than Dark Pulse in certain cases. Now I know that flinching is more useful for straight up killing Pokemon, but when using Zoroark you shouldn't be relying on a Flinch unless you're COMPLETELY desperate. If you score the accuracy drop on the Night Daze you have a chance to completely screw over the opponent. Say you Night Daze and Hitmontop switches in, and its accuracy drops... you could feasibly prevent it from spinning if it missed. Or better yet, lets you slam something annoying like Cobalion with an accuracy drop, you can seriously limit its ability to sweep by crippling it with bad accuracy.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, from my testing I wasn't that impressed with it either, so I wouldn't be opposed to removing it. I doubt that other QC members would be opposed to removing it, but I'll wait for their opinions. If it does stay though I think I should put Night Slash somewhere because while I was testing it, I was seeing that having Sucker Punch as the only STAB move was hurting the set's effectiveness in certain cases (opponent knows I have Sucker Punch)

As for Night Daze, I do understand why some people would want it (I wouldn't, I have the worst luck ever), so I'll slash it.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
I apologize for the double post, but I just want to update that I have removed the Swords Dance set. It's not really the best sweeper; getting around Sucker Punch is really pretty easy, and generally Bisharp is just, well, better. In addition, you'd probably be better off with any of Zoroark's other sets. So, unless QC decides Swords Dance should stay, I believe an OO mention is as far as it should go.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Did some more testing.

Nasty Plot should look like this:

You won't get much mileage out of Grass Knot on the Nasty Plot set. At +2 you're doing enough to most of the bulky-waters in UU anyway (and Focus Blast targets Rhyperior) so its not really useful. Substitute should a slash because its amazing on Zoroark. In fact, I'd even go as far to say that it should be slashed in front of Flamethrower because it's extremely useful on Zoroark. Dark / Fight gets good coverage (though tbh not good ENOUGH) and Substitute gives you protection and eases prediction. Let's face it, Zoroark's defenses suck ass, and using sub protects from light breezes that can OHKO it. Illusion also forces switches, so setting up a sub (or NP, having the choice between the 2 is fun) should be easy.
SubNP Zoroark is effective against offense & stall teams, so you're going to get mileage out of it most of the time. Night Daze gets removed because you do NOT want to miss at +2 (I should have told you that ages ago)

Oh and the All-Out Attacker should look like this:

Focus Blast is kind of mandatory on Zoroark so it shouldn't be slashed with anything.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I'm starting to see more stuff weak to Focus Blast running around UU now (especially Scrafty). Plus, if I recall correctly, a +2 Focus Blast has a chance of OHKOing Snorlax after Stealth Rock and I think also a layer of Spikes? I can't remember exactly but I know it was something like that. At first I wasn't completely sure of Substitute, but I'll slash it. Maybe I'll slash it first, maybe after Flamethrower. However, having to use Leftovers will hurt Zoroark's damage output quite a bit. Regardless of what move comes first, I'll talk about the benefits and drawbacks of both Flamethrower and Substitute in AC (or Set Comments if that would be better)

So, yeah, I'll be making those changes and finishing the Choice Scarf AC, so this should be ready for QC checks soon.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
Replace Escavalier's mention with Bronzong for the first set, add Scrafty mentions everytime you mention Focus Blast and remove the bit about Sucker Punch being beaten by Sub (its a last resort / finish off weakened threats and outside of Raikou, I can't think of any faster UU pokemon that utilize Sub to bypass Sucker Punch). You're golden.

QC APPROVED (1/3)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Lol missed that I still had an Escavalier mention up there... But yeah, Bronzong is much more relevant.

I believe I got everything you mentioned. Thanks for the check!

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Ok, ready for GP checks now.

I'm gonna go bug you GP team people on #grammar to ensure this gets done faster than Scrafty >.<

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amateur GP check
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

<p>Zoroark is a very unique Pokemon; its signature ability, Illusion, allows it to masquerade as the last Pokemon in the player's party. Although team preview theoretically hurts this strategy, it does not say when or even if Zoroark will be used in the battle. Zoroark is also very powerful offensively, with base 105 Attack and base 120 Special Attack. In addition, Zoroark learns both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, allowing it to boost either of its offensive stats. With 105 base Speed, it outspeeds positive natured base 100s, (RC) while also tying with Mienshao and Mismagius. However, Zoroark's biggest downfall is its very poor bulk; it cannot reliably switch in on any move unless it is outright immune to it, while it is also susceptible to priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch. As such, Zoroark is a difficult Pokemon to use effectively. However, Although it may be viewed as a gimmicky Pokemon, it is very deadly when used properly.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark learns Trick through the BW2 move tutors, Choice Specs Zoroark has increased in effectiveness tremendously. Not only does it hit 508 Special Attack with the boost from Choice Specs, it also can now cripple the likes of Gligar and Hitmontop, making these Pokemon significantly easier to handle. Although both Dark Pulse and Night Daze will hit anything that doesn't resist it very hard, it is generally better to use the former over the latter due to having perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze has slightly more power, and the accuracy drop may be useful. With threats such as Snorlax, Empoleon, Scrafty, and Umbreon weak to Fighting, Focus Blast grants Zoroark the ability to hit them for massive damage. Although Flamethrower generally provides redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it is Zoroark's strongest option against common UU Pokemon such as Bronzong and Roserade.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark's defenses are terrible, its EV spread should simply maximize Special Attack and Speed, the only two stats it can make any good use of. If bulky waters trouble you, Zoroark can use Grass Knot over Flamethrower to hit them, at the cost of having no way of hitting Heracross on the switch-in. Using Grass Knot over Focus Blast may seem like a solution to this problem, but without Focus Blast, Zoroark has no way of hitting Pokemon such as Snorlax and Empoleon.</p>

<p>When considering a Pokemon to disguise Zoroark as, it is ideal to use a Pokemon that takes the same entry hazards damage as Zoroark is used. In addition, it should be able to lure Pokemon such as Cofagrigus or Gligar that Zoroark can OHKO or cripple with Trick. Choice Scarf Heracross therefore makes a great partner as Zoroark can OHKO Cofagrigus with Dark Pulse and cripple Gligar with Trick. Zoroark will have trouble with Choice Scarf Mienshao and opposing Choice Scarf Heracross as both outspeed and OHKO it. Using a Cofagrigus of your own helps with this problem as it can switch in on both threats with ease and cripple them with Will-O-Wisp; in addition, Mummy nullifies their abilities, especially important in the case of Heracross.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With great coverage and access to Sucker Punch, Zoroark can run an all-out attacker set capable of a late game sweep. Many players will attempt to check Zoroark by using a faster Pokemon. However, with Sucker Punch, Zoroark can pick off weakened revenge killers. Dark Pulse or Night Daze are still used for STAB alongside Sucker Punch, due to the fact that Sucker Punch fails if the opponent does not attack. Focus Blast provides Zoroark with nearly unresisted coverage, while giving it an option to hit Snorlax, Empoleon, and Umbreon; in addition, Focus Blast OHKOes any Scrafty that does not invest in its defenses. Flamethrower gives Zoroark an option for hitting Pokemon such as Heracross and Bronzong. However, if you have these threats covered already, Grass Knot is a solid option worth considering over Flamethrower in order to get a harder hit on Pokemon such as Suicune and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread simply maximizes Special Attack and Speed; maximizing Zoroark's Speed allows it to tie with Mienshao and Mismagius, and investing in extra Attack EVs does not give Sucker Punch any notable KOs. Even when using Focus Blast, Zoroark may still struggle against Pokemon such as Snorlax, as it does not OHKO. Heracross is a good teammate as it can handle Snorlax easily. In addition, while disguised as Heracross, Zoroark can lure Pokemon such as Gligar and Cofagrigus that trouble Heracross. Fighting-type Pokemon carrying Choice Scarf will be difficult for Zoroark to handle, as they outspeed and OHKO it; to make matters worse, Fighting-types resist Sucker Punch. Cofagrigus is a great switch-in to these threats due to its massive Defense stat and immunity to Fighting, while it can cripple them with Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zoroark is one of the few Pokemon with access to Nasty Plot, allowing it to also function as a powerful boosting sweeper. At +2, Zoroark reaches 678 Special Attack, which, when coupled with Life Orb, makes it incredibly difficult to wall; not even Snorlax can wall it, as it is OHKOed by a +2 Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Dark Pulse should be the only STAB move ever used on this set, as missing at +2 with your STAB is undesirable. In addition, the extra power from Night Daze is not as relevant with Nasty Plot boosts. Focus Blast lets it hit everything bar Heracross at least neutrally, while also allowing it to get past Pokemon such as Snorlax, Umbreon, and Scrafty. Flamethrower is Zoroark's strongest option against Bronzong, Roserade, and Heracross, while Substitute is another option worth considering due to the fact that Zoroark will force many switches thanks to Illusion. In addition, Substitute gives Zoroark a buffer against enemy attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>When Substitute is used over Flamethrower, it is preferred to use Leftovers as Zoroark's held item instead of Life Orb. With Substitute and Life Orb chipping away at Zoroark's health, it will go down very quickly. However, having to use Leftovers will cause a notable drop in Zoroark's damage output. When using Flamethrower, Zoroark should always use Life Orb as its held item because if it doesn't OHKO the opponent, its sweep will likely be cut short.</p>

<p>Zoroark's disguise should be able to force out plenty of Pokemon, as this is the best way to grant Zoroark opportunities to set up. Heracross can force out Pokemon such as Snorlax and Empoleon, which Zoroark would otherwise be unable to set up on. Although Cofagrigus may seem like a strange disguise, it forces out any Fighting-type not named Scrafty, giving Zoroark even more opportunities to set up. In addition, Cofagrigus can learn Nasty Plot as well, so the disguise is not necessarily broken when Zoroark uses Nasty Plot.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By using a Choice Scarf, Zoroark becomes an effective revenge killer who can get surprise kills due to its signature ability. In addition, while many players may attempt to use Choice Scarf Heracross to revenge kill Zoroark, this strategy will backfire against Choice Scarf Zoroark. Night Daze is a little more valuable on this set than it is on other sets because the extra damage output may be incredibly useful when attempting to revenge kill an opposing Pokemon, but it is still generally better to use Dark Pulse due to its perfect accuracy. In addition, Night Daze may drop the opponent's accuracy, which can come in handy if Zoroark cannot OHKO the opposing Pokemon. Focus Blast attains near perfect coverage alongside its STAB, and allows Zoroark to revenge kill Scrafty. Although Flamethrower has redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it allows Zoroark to hit Heracross for super effective damage. In the last slot, Trick is generally more useful as it can cripple defensive Pokemon such as Cofagrigus, Dusclops, and Gligar; however, by using Trick, the opponent may be able to sweep more easily later. Because of this, U-turn can be used to gain momentum when the opposing Pokemon switches out.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Ice can be used on this set as it hits Gligar super effectively, but it has poor coverage otherwise. Unlike other Zoroark sets, this set is not weak to Choice Scarf Heracross, as you outspeed and KO with Flamethrower after a little prior damage. However, Choice Scarf Mienshao may still be a problem, as it ties with Zoroark and OHKOes with Hi Jump Kick. Cofagrigus handles Mienshao with ease due to its immunity to Hi Jump Kick and its massive Defense stat. Zoroark will be a much more effective revenge killer if disguising it as Pokemon that encourage whatever you want to revenge kill to stay in. Disguising it as Slowbro encourages Special attackers such as Chandelure and Roserade to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill these Pokemon with Dark Pulse and Flamethrower, respectively. On the other hand, although disguising it as Snorlax may seem like a terrible idea as both Snorlax and Zoroark are weak to Fighting-type attacks, disguising it as Snorlax encourages Heracross and Scrafty to stay in, while Zoroark can revenge kill both Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zoroark learns Pursuit, which may seem appealing to trap Pokemon such as Chandelure and Mismagius. However, Zoroark lacks the stats to effectively use Pursuit, making Weavile and Honchkrow better options for using Pursuit. By using Taunt, Zoroark prevents the opponent from going for non-attacking moves, making Sucker Punch much more effective. However, Zoroark is so frail that if the opponent does decide to attack, Zoroark is likely to get OHKOed. Calm Mind boosts both Zoroark's Special Attack and its Special Defense, but its poor defenses make Nasty Plot a better option. Zoroark does have the Attack stat to use a Swords Dance set, but it does not have the physical movepool to pull off an effective one. Although Zoroark has the coverage to pull off an Agility set, this set is weak and Zoroark is already fast without Agility. Extrasensory can hit Fighting-types, but it has poor coverage and doesn't hit much outside of Hitmontop, Machamp, and Mienshao.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When Illusion is in effect, countering Zoroark is virtually impossible unless you see something such as a Flygon taking Spikes damage. When disguised as Heracross, Cofagrigus and Dusclops get smashed by Dark Pulse or Night Daze on a switch-in, while Gligar switch-ins gets crippled by Trick. Even if the opponent predicts the Pokemon in question to be Zoroark in disguise, Hitmontop will be crippled by Trick. However, once its disguise has been discovered, beating Zoroark is very easy. Specially defensive Togekiss can take any attack from Zoroark and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Hitmontop is another great switch-in, safely taking any attack bar Extrasensory and OHKOing with Close Combat. Snorlax won't enjoy taking a Focus Blast, but it can switch in on any other attack and deal massive damage to Zoroark with its STAB; RestTalk variants of Snorlax 2HKO with Body Slam while offensive variants OHKO with Return after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>If you can't counter Zoroark, it can be checked by faster Pokemon. Cobalion outspeeds non-Choice Scarf Zoroark and OHKOes with Close Combat, allowing Cobalion to set up Swords Dance as Zoroark flees. In addition, if Cobalion switches in on Dark Pulse or Night Daze, it gets an Attack boost thanks to Justified. Be aware, however, that Cobalion cannot switch in on Focus Blast or Flamethrower. In addition, it is very easy to revenge kill with Choice Scarf users, particularly Heracross and Mienshao as they resist Sucker Punch.</p>

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Implemented GatoDelFuego's amateur GP check.

Wow, almost a month and no GP checks on this.... Ok, time to do AP Calculus homework and then go find GPers to GP this.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Bother in the GP thread. Or just sent violent PMs to every GPer on the site. I find it hilarious that if this were not an analysis, I would be infracted for necromancy.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

<p>Zoroark is a very unique Pokemon; its signature ability, Illusion, allows it to masquerade as the last Pokemon in the player's party. Although team preview theoretically hurts this strategy, it does not say when or even if Zoroark will be used in the battle. Zoroark is also very powerful in terms of offense, wielding a base 105 Attack and a base 120 Special Attack. In addition, Zoroark learns both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, allowing it to boost either of its offensive stats. With 105 base Speed, it outspeeds positive natured base 100s, while also forcing a speed tie with Mienshao and Mismagius. However, Zoroark's biggest downfall is its very poor bulk; it cannot reliably switch in on any move unless it is outright immune to it, while it is also susceptible to it can barely switch in on neutral hits, and has trouble facing down priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch. As such, Zoroark is a difficult Pokemon to use effectively. Although it may be viewed as a gimmicky Pokemon, it is very deadly when used properly.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark learns Trick through the BW2 move tutors, Choice Specs Zoroark has increased in effectiveness tremendously. Not only does it hit 508 Special Attack with the boost from Choice Specs, it also can now also cripple the likes of Gligar and Hitmontop, making these Pokemon significantly easier to handle. Although both Dark Pulse and Night Daze will hit anything that doesn't resist it very hard, it is generally better to use the former over the latter due to having perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze has slightly more power, and the accuracy drop may be useful. With threats such as Snorlax, Empoleon, Scrafty, and Umbreon weak to Fighting, Focus Blast grants Zoroark the ability to hit them for massive damage. Although Flamethrower generally provides redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it is Zoroark's strongest option against common UU Pokemon such as Bronzong and Roserade.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark's defenses are terrible, its EV spread should simply maximize Special Attack and Speed, the only two stats it can make any good use of. If bulky Water-types are a problem for trouble you, Zoroark can use Grass Knot over Flamethrower to hit them, at the cost of having no way of hitting Heracross. Using Grass Knot over Focus Blast may seem like a solution to this problem, but without Focus Blast, Zoroark has no way of hitting Pokemon such as Snorlax and Empoleon.</p>

<p>When considering a Pokemon to disguise Zoroark as, it is ideal to use a Pokemon that takes the same entry hazards damage as Zoroark is used. In addition, it should be able to lure Pokemon such as Cofagrigus or Gligar that Zoroark can OHKO or cripple with Trick. Choice Scarf Heracross therefore makes a great partner as Zoroark can OHKO Cofagrigus with Dark Pulse and cripple Gligar with Trick. Zoroark will have trouble with Choice Scarf Mienshao and opposing Choice Scarf Heracross as both outspeed and OHKO it. Using a Cofagrigus of your own helps with this problem as it can switch in on both threats with ease and cripple them with Will-O-Wisp; in addition, Mummy nullifies their abilities, which is especially important in the case of Heracross.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With great coverage and access to Sucker Punch, Zoroark can run an all-out attacker set capable of a late-game sweep. Many players will attempt to check Zoroark by using a faster Pokemon. However, with Sucker Punch, Zoroark can pick off weakened revenge killers. Dark Pulse or Night Daze are still used for STAB alongside Sucker Punch, due to the fact that Sucker Punch fails if the opponent does not attack. Focus Blast provides Zoroark with nearly unresisted coverage, while giving it an option to hit Snorlax, Empoleon, and Umbreon; in addition, Focus Blast OHKOes any Scrafty that does not invest in its Special Defense. Flamethrower gives Zoroark an option for hitting Pokemon such as Heracross and Bronzong. However, if you have these threats covered already, Grass Knot is a solid option worth considering over Flamethrower in order to get a harder hit on Pokemon such as Suicune and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread simply maximizes Special Attack and Speed; maximizing Zoroark's Speed allows it to tie with Mienshao and Mismagius, and investing in extra Attack EVs does not give Sucker Punch any notable KOs. Even when using Focus Blast, Zoroark may still struggle against Pokemon such as Snorlax, as it does not OHKO. Heracross is a good teammate as it can handle Snorlax easily. In addition, while disguised as Heracross, Zoroark can lure Pokemon such as Gligar and Cofagrigus that trouble Heracross. Fighting-type Pokemon carrying Choice Scarf will be difficult for Zoroark to handle, as they outspeed and OHKO it. To make matters worse, Fighting-types resist Sucker Punch. Cofagrigus is a great switch-in to these threats due to its massive Defense, and immunity to Fighting, while it can and ability to cripple them with Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zoroark is one of the few Pokemon with access to Nasty Plot, allowing it to also function as a powerful boosting sweeper. At +2, Zoroark reaches 678 Special Attack, which, when coupled with Life Orb, makes it incredibly difficult to wall; not even Snorlax can wall it, as it is OHKOed by a +2 Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Dark Pulse should be the only STAB move ever used on this set, as missing at +2 with your STAB is undesirable. In addition, the extra power from Night Daze is not as relevant with Nasty Plot boosts. Focus Blast lets Zoroark hit everything bar Heracross at least neutrally, while also allowing it to get past Pokemon such as Snorlax, Umbreon, and Scrafty. Flamethrower is Zoroark's strongest option against Bronzong, Roserade, and Heracross, while Substitute is another option worth considering due to the fact that Zoroark will force many switches thanks to Illusion. In addition, Substitute gives Zoroark a buffer against enemy attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By using a Choice Scarf, Zoroark becomes an effective revenge killer who can get surprise kills due to its signature ability. In addition, while many players may attempt to use Choice Scarf Heracross to revenge kill Zoroark, this strategy will backfire against Choice Scarf Zoroark. Night Daze is a little more valuable on this set than it is on other sets because the extra damage output may be incredibly useful when attempting to revenge kill an opposing Pokemon, but it is still generally better to use Dark Pulse due to its perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze may drop the opponent's accuracy, which can come in handy if Zoroark cannot OHKO the opposing Pokemon. Focus Blast attains near perfect coverage alongside its STAB, and allows Zoroark to revenge kill Scrafty. Although Flamethrower has redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it allows Zoroark to hit Heracross for super effective damage. In the last slot, Trick is generally more useful as it can cripple defensive Pokemon such as Cofagrigus, Dusclops, and Gligar; however, by using Trick, the opponent may be able to sweep more easily later. Because of this, U-turn can be used to gain momentum when the opposing Pokemon switches out.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Ice can be used on this set as it hits Gligar super effectively, but it has poor coverage otherwise. Unlike other Zoroark sets, this set is not weak to Choice Scarf Heracross, as you outspeed and KO with Flamethrower after a little prior damage. However, Choice Scarf Mienshao may still be a problem, as it ties with Zoroark and OHKOes with Hi Jump Kick. Cofagrigus handles Mienshao with ease due to its immunity to Hi Jump Kick and its massive Defense stat. Zoroark will be a much more effective revenge killer if disguising it as Pokemon that encourage whatever you want to revenge kill to stay in. Disguising it as Slowbro encourages Special attackers such as Chandelure and Roserade to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill these Pokemon with Dark Pulse and Flamethrower, respectively. On the other hand, although disguising it as Snorlax may seem like a terrible idea as both Snorlax and Zoroark are weak to Fighting-type attacks, disguising it as Snorlax encourages Heracross and Scrafty to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill both Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zoroark learns Pursuit, which may seem appealing to trap Pokemon such as Chandelure and Mismagius. However, Zoroark lacks the stats to effectively use Pursuit, making Weavile and Honchkrow better options for using Pursuit. By using Taunt, Zoroark prevents the opponent from going for non-attacking moves, making Sucker Punch much more effective. However, Zoroark is so frail that if the opponent does decide to attack, Zoroark is likely to get OHKOed. Calm Mind boosts both Zoroark's Special Attack and its Special Defense, but its poor defenses make Nasty Plot a better option. Zoroark does have the Attack stat to use a Swords Dance set, but it does not have the physical movepool to pull off an effective one. Although Zoroark has the coverage to pull off an Agility set, this set is weak and Zoroark is already fast enough without Agility. Extrasensory can hit Fighting-types, but it has poor coverage and doesn't hit much outside of Hitmontop, Machamp, and Mienshao.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When Illusion is in effect, countering Zoroark is virtually impossible unless you see something such as a Flygon taking Spikes damage. When disguised as Heracross, Cofagrigus and Dusclops get smashed by Dark Pulse or Night Daze on a switch-in, while Gligar gets crippled by Trick. Even if the opponent predicts the Pokemon in question to be Zoroark in disguise, Hitmontop will be crippled by Trick. However, once its disguise has been discovered, beating Zoroark is very easy. Specially defensive Togekiss can take any attack from Zoroark and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Hitmontop is another great switch-in, safely taking any attack bar Extrasensory and OHKOing with Close Combat. Snorlax won't enjoy taking a Focus Blast, but it can switch in on any other attack and deal massive damage to Zoroark with its STAB; RestTalk variants of Snorlax 2HKO with Body Slam while offensive variants OHKO with Return after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>If you can't counter Zoroark, it can be checked by faster Pokemon. Cobalion outspeeds non-Choice Scarf Zoroark and OHKOes with Close Combat, allowing Cobalion to set up Swords Dance as Zoroark flees. In addition, if Cobalion switches in on Dark Pulse or Night Daze, it gets an Attack boost thanks to Justified. Be aware, however, that Cobalion cannot switch in on Focus Blast or Flamethrower. In addition, it is very easy to revenge kill with Choice Scarf users, particularly Heracross and Mienshao as they resist Sucker Punch.</p>
[gp]1/2[/gp]

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
add
remove
comments

[Overview]

<p>Zoroark is a very unique Pokemon; its signature ability, Illusion, allows it to masquerade as the last Pokemon in the player's party. Although Team Preview theoretically hurts this strategy, it does not say when or even if Zoroark will be used in the battle. Zoroark is also very powerful in terms of offense, wielding a base 105 Attack and a base 120 Special Attack. In addition, Zoroark learns both Swords Dance and Nasty Plot, allowing it to boost either of its offensive stats. With 105 base Speed, it outspeeds positive natured base 100s, while also forcing a Speed tie with Mienshao and Mismagius. However, Zoroark's biggest downfall is its very poor bulk; it can barely switch in on neutral hits, and has trouble facing down priority moves such as Aqua Jet and Mach Punch. As such, Zoroark is a difficult Pokemon to use effectively. Although it may be viewed as a gimmicky Pokemon, it is very deadly when used properly.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark learns Trick through the BW2 move tutors, Choice Specs Zoroark has increased in effectiveness tremendously. Not only does it hit 508 Special Attack with the boost from Choice Specs, it can now also cripple the likes of Gligar and Hitmontop, making these Pokemon significantly easier to handle. Although both Dark Pulse and Night Daze will hit anything that doesn't resist it very hard, it is generally better to use the former over the latter due to having perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze has slightly more power, and the accuracy drop it may inflict could may be useful. With threats like Snorlax, Empoleon, Scrafty, and Umbreon weak to Fighting, Focus Blast grants Zoroark the ability to hit them for massive damage. Although Flamethrower generally provides redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it is Zoroark's strongest option against common UU Pokemon such as Bronzong and Roserade.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Because Zoroark's defenses are terrible, its EV spread should simply maximize Special Attack and Speed, the only two stats it can make any good use of. If bulky Water-types are a problem for you, Zoroark can use Grass Knot over Flamethrower to hit them, at the cost of having no way of hitting Heracross. Using Grass Knot over Focus Blast may seem like a solution to this problem, but without Focus Blast, Zoroark has no way of hitting Pokemon like Snorlax and Empoleon.</p>

<p>When considering a Pokemon to disguise Zoroark as, it is ideal to use a Pokemon that takes the same entry hazards damage as Zoroark. In addition, it should be able to lure defensive Pokemon, such as Cofagrigus or Gligar, that Zoroark can OHKO or cripple with Trick. Choice Scarf Heracross therefore makes a great partner as Zoroark can OHKO Cofagrigus with Dark Pulse and cripple Gligar with Trick. Zoroark will have trouble with Choice Scarf Mienshao and opposing Choice Scarf Heracross as both outspeed and OHKO it. Using a Cofagrigus of your own helps with this problem as it can switch in on both threats with ease and cripple them with Will-O-Wisp; in addition, Mummy nullifies their abilities, which is especially important in the case of Heracross.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With great coverage and access to Sucker Punch, Zoroark can run an all-out attacker set capable of a late-game sweep. Many players will attempt to check Zoroark by using a faster Pokemon. However, with Sucker Punch, Zoroark can pick off weakened revenge killers. Dark Pulse or Night Daze are still used for STAB alongside Sucker Punch, due to the fact that Sucker Punch fails if the opponent does not attack. Focus Blast provides Zoroark with nearly unresisted coverage, giving it an option to hit Snorlax, Empoleon, and Umbreon; in addition, Focus Blast OHKOes any Scrafty that does not invest in its Special Defense. Flamethrower gives Zoroark an option for hitting Pokemon such as Heracross and Bronzong. However, if you have these threats covered already, Grass Knot is a solid option worth considering over Flamethrower in order to get a harder hit on Pokemon such as Suicune and Swampert.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EV spread simply maximizes Special Attack and Speed; maximizing Zoroark's Speed allows it to tie with Mienshao and Mismagius, and investing in extra Attack EVs does not give Sucker Punch any notable KOs. Even when using Focus Blast, Zoroark may still struggle against Pokemon such as Snorlax, as it does not OHKO. Heracross is a good teammate as it can handle Snorlax easily. In addition, while disguised as Heracross, Zoroark can lure Pokemon such as Gligar and Cofagrigus that trouble Heracross. Fighting-type Pokemon carrying Choice Scarf will be difficult for Zoroark to handle, as they outspeed and OHKO it. To make matters worse, Fighting-types resist Sucker Punch. Cofagrigus is a great switch-in to these threats due to its massive Defense, immunity to Fighting, and ability to cripple them with Will-O-Wisp.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Zoroark is one of few Pokemon with access to Nasty Plot, allowing it to also function as a powerful boosting sweeper. At +2, Zoroark reaches 678 Special Attack, which, when coupled with Life Orb, makes it incredibly difficult to wall; not even Snorlax can wall it, as it is OHKOed by a +2 Focus Blast after Stealth Rock. Dark Pulse should be the only STAB move ever used on this set, as missing is undesirable. In addition, the extra power from Night Daze is not as relevant with Nasty Plot boosts. Focus Blast lets Zoroark hit everything bar Heracross at least neutrally when combined with Dark Pulse, while also allowing it to get past Pokemon such as Snorlax, Umbreon, and Scrafty. Flamethrower is Zoroark's strongest option against Bronzong, Roserade, and Heracross, while Substitute is another option worth considering due to the fact that Zoroark will force many switches thanks to Illusion. In addition, Substitute gives Zoroark a buffer against enemy attacks.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>By using a Choice Scarf, Zoroark becomes an effective revenge killer who can get surprise kills due to its signature ability. In addition, while many players may attempt to use Choice Scarf Heracross to revenge kill Zoroark, this strategy will backfire against Choice Scarf Zoroark. Night Daze is a little more valuable on this set than it is on other sets because the extra damage output may be incredibly useful when attempting to revenge kill an opposing Pokemon, but it is still generally better to use Dark Pulse due to its perfect accuracy. However, Night Daze may drop the opponent's accuracy, which can come in handy if Zoroark cannot OHKO the opposing Pokemon. Focus Blast attains near-perfect coverage alongside its STAB, and allows Zoroark to revenge kill Scrafty. Although Flamethrower has redundant coverage alongside Focus Blast, it allows Zoroark to hit Heracross for super effective damage. In the last slot, Trick is generally more useful as it can cripple defensive Pokemon such as Cofagrigus, Dusclops, and Gligar; however, by using Trick, the opponent may be able to sweep more easily later. Because of this, U-turn can be used to gain momentum when the opposing Pokemon switches out.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Ice can be used on this set as it hits Gligar super effectively, but it has poor coverage otherwise. Unlike other Zoroark sets, this set is not weak to Choice Scarf Heracross, as Zoroark outspeeds and KOs it with Flamethrower after a little prior damage. However, Choice Scarf Mienshao may still be a problem, as it ties with Zoroark and OHKOes with Hi Jump Kick. Cofagrigus handles Mienshao with ease due to its immunity to Hi Jump Kick and its massive Defense stat. Zoroark will be a much more effective revenge killer if disguising it as Pokemon that encourage whatever you want to revenge kill to stay in. Disguising it as Slowbro encourages special attackers, such as Chandelure and Roserade, to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill these Pokemon with Dark Pulse and Flamethrower, respectively. On the other hand, although disguising it as Snorlax may seem like a terrible idea as both Snorlax and Zoroark are weak to Fighting-type attacks, disguising it as Snorlax encourages Heracross and Scrafty to stay in, allowing Zoroark to revenge kill both Pokemon.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Zoroark learns Pursuit, which may seem appealing to trap Pokemon such as Chandelure and Mismagius. However, Zoroark lacks the stats to effectively use Pursuit, making Weavile and Honchkrow better options for using Pursuit. By using Taunt, Zoroark prevents the opponent from going for non-attacking moves, making Sucker Punch much more effective. However, Zoroark is so frail that if the opponent does decide to attack the turn it uses Taunt, Zoroark is likely to get OHKOed. Calm Mind boosts both Zoroark's Special Attack and its Special Defense, but its poor defenses make Nasty Plot a better option. Zoroark does have the Attack stat to use a Swords Dance set, but it does not have the physical movepool to pull off an effective one. Although Zoroark has the coverage to pull off an Agility set, this set is weak and Zoroark is already fast enough without Agility. Extrasensory can hit Fighting-types, but it has poor coverage and doesn't hit much outside of Hitmontop, Machamp, and Mienshao.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>When Illusion is in effect, countering Zoroark is virtually impossible unless you see something like a Flygon taking Spikes damage. When disguised as Heracross, Cofagrigus and Dusclops get smashed by Dark Pulse or Night Daze on a switch in, while Gligar gets crippled by Trick. Even if the opponent predicts the Pokemon in question to be Zoroark in disguise, Hitmontop will be crippled by Trick. However, once its disguise has been discovered, beating Zoroark is very easy. Specially defensive Togekiss can take any attack from Zoroark and cripple it with Thunder Wave. Hitmontop is another great switch-in, safely taking any attack bar Extrasensory and OHKOing with Close Combat. Snorlax won't enjoy taking a Focus Blast, but it can switch in on any other attack and deal massive damage to Zoroark with its STAB; RestTalk variants of Snorlax 2HKO with Body Slam while offensive variants OHKO with Return after Stealth Rock.</p>

<p>If you can't counter Zoroark, it can be checked by faster Pokemon. Cobalion outspeeds non-Choice Scarf Zoroark and OHKOes with Close Combat, allowing Cobalion to set up Swords Dance as Zoroark flees. In addition, if Cobalion switches in on Dark Pulse or Night Daze, it gets an Attack boost thanks to Justified. Be aware, however, that Cobalion cannot switch in on Focus Blast or Flamethrower. In addition, Zoroark is very easy to revenge kill with Choice Scarf users, particularly Heracross and Mienshao as they resist Sucker Punch.</p>

[gp]2/2[/gp]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)