Here is a fun section of The Smog where readers like you—yes, you—can help shape future issues of The Smog and also get some cool prizes. To send in your answers, please send a private message to the Smogon user The Smog entitled "Issue 10 Polls/Trivia" with answers to any or all questions.
Hi! I, jumpluff, am covering for our trivia guru RB Golbat again this issue, and I've recruited an expert to assist me. That expert is none other than Zy! Zy's questions are notorious for being tricky, so keep sharp. I have also read through all the submissions from last issue, and I was pleasantly surprised by the turn-out. While there were a few stumbling blocks (which I deliberately placed!), most people did very well on the questions. The first 100% correct submission was from user Nomad, though. Since he already has custom title privileges, his prize is choosing mingot's avatar for three weeks, so please contact mingot about it. Congratulations, and well done to everyone else! Without further ado, here are the answers to last issue's trivia. Read on for this month's!
Trivia and Poll Results
- 1. Not counting alternate formes, what are six non-Rock-types that learn Stone Edge?
- This question was very easy. Smogon is a great resource for questions like these! Here is the list of eligible answers.
- Any different six of: Absol, Arceus, Blaziken, Breloom, Camerupt, Claydol, Dialga, Donphan, Dragonite, Dugtrio, Entei, Flygon, Gabite, Gallade, Garchomp, Gastrodon, Gible, Giratina, Gligar, Gliscor, Granbull, Groudon, Gyarados, Hariyama, Heatran, Heracross, Hippowdon, Hitmonchan, Hitmonlee, Hitmontop, Infernape, Lucario, Machamp, Mamoswine, Marowak, Mew, Mewtwo, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Palkia, Piloswine, Pinsir, Primeape, Quagsire, Rayquaza, Regigigas, Salamence, Sandslash, Steelix, Swampert, Tauros, Torkoal, Torterra, Toxicroak, Ursaring, Whiscash.
- 2. How many Pokémon have the ability Clear Body?
- While this appeared to be a straightforward question, many people forgot to count NFEs. There are eight Pokémon in total with this ability.
- 3. Name one of the TV show Pokémon Sunday's current hosts.
- Deviating from the competitive theme, I inserted a question aimed at testing people's basic Googling skills! The hosts are Shoko Nakagawa, TIM, and Robert. The names in Japanese were also acceptable.
- 4. Where do the Kanto and Johto Gym Leaders come to be rematched in HeartGold / SoulSilver?
- a) The Fighting Dojo in Saffron City
- 5. From whom do you receive the Magnet Pass?
- 6. Which of these elemental types was not special before the physical / special split?
- Now, this tricked quite a few people. Most Dark-types are physical, and some of the first Dark moves that usually come to mind are Pursuit and Crunch. However, Dark was actually special before Generation IV! The correct answer is c) Ghost.
- 7. Name all of the abilities that grant type immunities.
- Another difficult one, but most people managed to stay on the ball. Dry Skin, Color Change, Flash Fire, Levitate, Motor Drive, Volt Absorb, Water Absorb, and Wonder Guard are all capable of granting type immunities. The one that most people forgot was Color Change.
- 8. What is the name of James's Growlithe in the anime?
- 9. Which Pokémon have the highest Pokéathlon performance stats?
- Arceus, Mew, Ditto, Sunkern, Giratina-O
- 10. In April 2010, which NFE was most used in Ubers on the Smogon University Shoddy server?
- Each month, DougJustDoug collates and publishes detailed and highly useful usage statistics regarding the Smogon University server. For those of you who didn't know where to look, the statistics can be found here. The correct answer, surprisingly, was Magikarp.
And here are the results of the poll! A number of answers were submitted, but here are Smogon's favourite cute Pokémon! It's a shame that the clear winner, Shaymin, didn't place in the top three, but here they are:
The first five questions are by me, and the last five are by Zy. Keep sharp!
- 1. Which Pokémon was recently banned from OU?
- 2. What is Illuminate's overworld effect?
- 3. Are Ghost-types hit by Pain Split?
- 4. True or false? Charizard and Typhlosion share identical base stats.
- 5. What does the Charti Berry do?
- 6. Which move that hits every Pokémon in the battlefield has the highest PP?
- 7. Counting Swift itself, how many variations are there of the move Swift (in terms of name and type)? What are they?
- 8. List all Pokédex Color Categories by rank of most fully evolved Pokémon to least fully evolved Pokémon.
- 9. How many different moves have been available via TM throughout all four generations?
- 10. List at least 7 TMs that have remained the same over all four generations.