This is a fun section of The Smog where readers like you—yes, you—can help shape future issues of the ezine and also get some cool prizes. To send in your answers, please send a private message to the Smogon user The Smog entitled "Issue 12 Polls/Trivia" with answers to any or all questions.
Hello and good day, Smogonites! I hope you're all enjoying the new wave of Gen V! Well, this issue (or should I say, Isshu, geddit?), I've come up with some Gen V related brain-scratchers—great for testing your knowledge on the games so far. These aren't as mind-numbing as previous ones, however. After all, I need to give out some easy questions sometimes, right?
But first, we go onto the business of last issue's winner. Athenodoros scraped victory against two other tie-breaker competitors, but only got it in the end because he listed more options for Question 2 and was dutiful enough to mention Arceus. Please PM Mekkah for your prize—your choice of a custom title! Well, let's just look at the answers now, shall we?
- 1. What were the first Pokémon from the second, third, and fourth generation that were shown in America?
- Gen 2: Ho-oh / Gen 3: Azurill, Kecleon, Wailmer / Gen 4: Munchlax. In the case of Gen III, they were all revealed at the same time.
- 2. Which Pokémon become slower when they evolve?
- Caterpie, Weedle, Poliwhirl, Magneton, Onix, Tangela, Scyther, Electabuzz, Magmar, Murkrow, Remoraid, Wurmple, Wingull, Surskit, Anorith, Combee. Some missed a few, some got all of them.
- 3. Which is the most common type combination in dual-typed Pokémon? (The order of the types is irrelevant.)
- 4. Name two Pokémon whose level-up movepool becomes smaller upon evolution.
- Any of: Arcanine, Togekiss, Vileplume, Bellossom, Wobbuffet, Cascoon, Silcoon, Metapod, Kakuna, and Ludicolo. The pre-evolution was acceptable as well.
- 5. In the Water 3 Egg group, the Pokémon have a total of seven types. What are they?
- Water, Ice, Poison, Bug, Rock, Grass, Psychic. A lot of people said Dark as well, due to Drapion, but I said "Water 3", meaning Water 3 only. Drapion is in two different Egg groups, and so doesn't qualify. Sorry, folks!
- 6. Out of the 11 moves with a 30% flinch rate, which is has the highest Base Power, and which one the lowest?
- Sky Attack sits high with 140, while Astonish is down at 30.
- 7. In Generation IV, name all fully evolved Fighting-types with only one ability.
- Blaziken, Medicham, Infernape, Gallade, Fist Arceus. A-ha!, weren't expecting Arceus, eh? Think outside the box!
- 8. Which Flying-type Pokémon obtainable before the Elite Four (across all generations) has the highest Special Attack?
- Rayquaza. Emerald version. Makes the game easy, but hey.
- 9. In Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia, how many Pokémon have the Field Ability "Recharge" of any value?
- 7. There was no need to name them, but out of interest they were: Pichu, Pikachu, Raichu, Magnemite, Magneton, Chinchou and Lanturn.
- 10. Of all the "Serpentine" body-style Pokémon, which three have the highest Attack, in descending order from first to third?
- Rayquaza, Gyarados, Huntail.
- 1. Which is the least commonly occuring type in the Mineral Egg Group?
- 2. Which fully evolved Gen V Pokemon has the lowest BST?
- 3. Which type occurs 11 times in the Isshu Dex?
- 4. Only four Pokemon in the Isshu Dex have a 100% chance of being female. What are they?
- 5. How many brand-new type combinations did Gen V introduce?
- 6. How many different abilities are available from the Water 2 Egg Group in the Isshu Dex?
- 7. Six Pokemon in the Isshu Dex have an EXP Gain Rate of "Fast". Name two of them.
- 8. Name at least three of the dual-typed Pokemon in the "Gray" color category of the Isshu Dex.
- 9. Only 5 Fighting-types in the Isshe Dex have a BST higher than 550. Name two.
- 10. How many STAB moves are there in Emboar's level-up movepool? This counts Heart Scale moves.
Remember, when you send your answers to The Smog, please make sure your entry is named "Issue (X) Polls/Trivia"! I had to delete up to three prospective victory submissions because they weren't named right! Anyway, good luck!