Trivia & Polls
My oh my, has it been a year already since I started writing for the Smog? How time flies! Yes, I understand a lot of you are getting sick and tired of my Trivia by now. I apologize - I'll write a real article soon! Well, in any case... This episode of Trivia will be significantly different from the others. Why? Because it's not Pokemon-based, but Smogon-based! Fufufu... how much do you know of the site?
Of course, before all this, we have to congratulate Tortferngatr, who scored an impressive 10/10, and went into incredible detail with their answers. As always, Mekkah will be happy to issue you your prize. I was very pleased this round, as a lot of you were very close to the right answer, and it was a very nice effort from everybody. There were a few amusing answers, but I won't shame anyone. Here's the scoresheet so you know where you went wrong:
- Which two Pokemon are featured on the upcoming third Black and White TCG Expansion set?
- Mewtwo and Kyurem. There are two sets called Psycho Drive and Hail Blizzard, respectively, but they count for the third wave.
- How many anime appearances does Galvantula have?
- In Japan, at the time of writing, 2.
- Name all of the Electric-type Pokemon (dual-type or otherwise) that cannot evolve.
- Raichu, Electrode, Jolteon, Ampharos, Raikou, Manetric, Plusle, Minun, Luxray, Pachirisu, Electivire, Zebstrika, Eelektross, Zapdos, Magnezone, Rotom, Emolga, Thundurus, Lanturn, Galvantula, Stunfisk, Zekrom. Yes, I did mean those that have evolved before.
- Which one of the following three Pokemon have not had a featured event: Charmander, Zoroark, Dodrio?
- Of all the Pokemon which can have the ability Heavy Metal, which stat on average is the lowest between them?
- What recoil-inducing move has the widest distribution?
- Struggle. Of course. I find it amusing the number of people that submitted Take Down.
- What team in standard Smogon OU would have the highest combined BST?
- Regigigas, Slaking, Kyurem, and any 3 of the following: Dragonite, Mew, Tyranitar, Celebi, Salamence, Metagross, Latias, Latios, Jirachi, Deoxys-S or Deoxys-D, Heatran, Cresselia, Shaymin-L, Victini, Hydreigon, Landorus.
- Name at least three Pokemon that have the same name in English as they do in phonetic Japanese.
- The number of viable answers for this was ridiculous. Thus, I shall refer you to this page.
- Discounting Mew, Smeargle, and the Mimic Glitch, what Pokemon has the widest natural movepool?
- Pokemon such as Dunsparce, Gyarados, and Gallade come surprisingly close. But in the end, you don't get better than Clefable.
- Which six Pokemon from Generation V are at the top of the tables for each stat (By this I mean what has the highest base HP in Gen V, highest base Atk, and so on)?
- Alomomola for HP, Zekrom for Atk, Cofagrigus for Def, Reshiram for SpA, Cryogonal for SpD, and Accelgor for Spe.
So, with that out of the way, I think we can move on to this issue's questions. In the interests of fairness (that is, those who have been here a while and those who have not), the questions will be staggered into three tiers, in terms of difficulty. The first tier will be on Smogon as a whole, the second will be on the history of the site, and the third will be about site culture. As a result, there will be three prizes to give out - one per section. So, without further ado, here we go.
- Name all the badges currently in existence (excluding Generation 5 and the Orange League) that are currently not used to represent contributions/authority within the forums.
- Including the StrategyDex, how many features and tools does Smogon as a site offer its users?
- In terms of number of posts, and excluding Thread Cryonics and Ruins of Alph (due to the presence of Stark Mountain), which three sub-forums are most active?
- What does the name "Smogon" mean, and what relevance does it have on the site's aesthetics?
- Currently, how many total subforums are there? Note that "Smeargle's Studio" and "Thread Cryonics" are subforums under the "Socialization in the Empire" forum, with "Thread Cryonics" having its own subforums.
- Name all Administrators of Smogon, past and present.
- Which was the first program to be backed by Smogon officially?
- Which was established first; the Quality Control group, or the Grammar-Prose team?
- In which year did the site remodel to its current layout and format?
- Name the year that The Smog was founded, and the original editorial team.
- What were the main socialization forums before "a forum"?
- Smogon has hosted many an inside joke. Name one.
- What was the April Fool's prank for this previous year (2011)?
- There are six official Smogon tournaments. Name the most recent winners of each.
- Smogon only focuses on the competitive side of the main RPG games, but what other competitive Pokemon games are making an appearance around the site?
- What is meant by Smogon's motto?
Indeed, the quiz this time seems somewhat Farfetch'd... But hopefully you're not all too Slowpoke to remember some answers... Well, three of you will be lucky enough to make use Koffing up some prizes... Okay I'll stop now.
..Oh, I almost forgot! This is technically called "Polls and Trivia" for a reason! Silly me! We haven't had a poll for a while. I suppose now would be as good a time as any to add one, right?
Were the recent OU bans a good idea?
- No, Excadrill and Thundurus aren't overpowered at all.
- Excadrill deserved it, but Thundurus is okay.
- Thundurus should go, but bring back the mole!
- They had it coming.
Like always, send your answers and opinions to "Issue (X) - Polls and Trivia". The answers will be counted (with chagrin), and we'll fill you in on the results next time. See you soon, and good luck!