A Dynamic Finsh (A Little Cup warstory Drgaonite24 v. HeYsUp)

Altair

just who is the coon?
A Dynamic Finish (A Little Cup warstory Dragonite24 v. HeYsUp)

Ignore the title.

The date was April 2, 2009. I had just finished my homework, got a donut, and got onto the CaP ladder. Over the past few days, I had been in a laddering slump of sorts, never winning more than one or two battles at a time and having huge strings of losses. So feeling a bit in the dumps, I clicked "Find Match" and hoped for the best...

...And got the worst. As soon as I saw HeYhEy's name, I knew I was in for a long and grueling battle. At this point I cursed four different things:

1. Me, for being a craptastic battler.
2. HeYhEy, for being too good of a battler.
3. Everyone on Shoddy, for playing OU.
4. Me, for dropping my donut. =(

Anyways...

My team

HeYhEy's team

On to the fight!

Rules
Ladder Match
Sleep Clause
Freeze Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause
Species Clause
Strict Damage Clause
Little Cup Clause

Dragonite24 sent out Gastly (lvl 5 Gastly ?).
HeYhEy sent out Misdreavus (lvl 5 Misdreavus ?).

Gastly: 100%
Misdreavus: 100%

Score:6-6 tie
---
The battle starts off with two ghost-type leads, Gastly and Misdreavus, with the former being a rather common lead and the latter being slightly more obscure. Normally, Misdreavus outspeeds Gastly, but mine is equipped with a Focus Sash, so unless he has one or switches, I can start the battle off well.

Well I have been testing leads for my team a bit, and im undecided between houndour and missy, but missy helps here. Shadow ball will break his sash and allow me to finish him off next turn. He will likely do the same.

---

Misdreavus used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Gastly lost 100% of its health.
Gastly hung on using its Focus Sash!
Gastly used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Misdreavus lost 100% of its health.
Misdreavus hung on using its Focus Sash!

Gastly: 1%
Misdreavus: 1%
---
It turns out that he was using a Sash also =/. This ruins my plan of killing Misdreavus, who is two points faster than Gastly, and can easily finish it off in its heavily weakened state. Luckily, I do have a backup plan in the form of Taillow, who can come in on Shadow Ball and can at least tie in speed with MissyD.

As I predicted, he did the same. I want to take this chance to activate Taillow's Flame Orb (idk why I use a Flame orb..) as he will either switch or use Shadow Ball to try and catch me off guard.
---

Dragonite24 switched in Taillow (lvl 5 Taillow ?).
HeYhEy switched in Taillow* (lvl 5 Taillow ?).
Taillow was badly poisoned!
Taillow* was burned!

Taillow: 100% + Poison
Taillow*: 100% + Burn
---
It looks like we both had the same idea, to switch in our Taillows on each other's Ghost attacks. My Taillow is usually important to me, however, with its priority and sheer destructive power, so I decide to switch in my near-useless Gastly to avoid losing Taillow to something as worthless as a coin flip. At the very least, it will rack up some burn damage so it can be finished off by my Priority attacks. In hindsight, though, my Taillow might have been faster than his, since its Status-Inducing Orb activated first.

Well you know a match is going to be a good one when you have both used the same moves two turns in a row! I think he knows that his true way of beating my team is through Taillow, so he will likely switch to a Rock-type or Gligar, as most people have at least one of those two on their team. Either way, Facade will do a number.
---

Dragonite24 switched in Gastly (lvl 5 Gastly ?).
Taillow used Facade.
It doesn't affect Gastly...
Taillow was hurt by its burn!
Taillow lost 11% of its health.

Gastly: 1%
Taillow: 89%
---
At this point I realize that Gastly is going to be pointless in this battle, as it isn't one of my more powerful sweepers and with one HP, it won't get anymore oppurtunities to switch in. Because of this, I realise that all I can do is sacrifice it to Taillow and rack up some Burn damage along the way.

Well this isnt that bad either, I dont think he realizes how important Gastly is for his team at this point, as after its gone I can just spam Dynamic Punch with Machop. So on to my attack, I dont want to leave Taillow in, because it is set up bait or Fodder for Rock-types, and he has 5 Pokemon left, SO i dont want to give him a free attack as I have to switch, so ill go back to Missy now while KOing his Gastly with Uturn.
---

Taillow used U-turn.
It's not very effective...
Gastly lost 5% of its health.
Dragonite24's Gastly fainted.
HeYhEy switched in Misdreavus (lvl 5 Misdreavus ?).

Gastly: X_X
Misdreavus: 1%
Taillow: 89%

Score 6-5 HeYhEy
---
The first KO of the game has occured, but it seems that the second KO will be coming up shortly. HYU has probably sent Misdreavus in to be sacrificed, so I use this oppurtunity to switch in one of my fastest and hardest-hitting sweepers: Elekid.

So he sent in Elekid who outspeeds my Missy, I think about using Shadow Sneak, but then I think about it further. He will get a Free switch if I shadow sneak, because of how weak it is, so Im better off predicting the switch to something else, as he may have forgotten about Shadow Sneak when he sent Elekid in, and will decide to switch. So HP Fighting hit something hard!
---

Dragonite24 switched in Elekid (lvl 5 Elekid ?).
Elekid used Ice Punch.
Misdreavus lost 5% of its health.
HeYhEy's Misdreavus fainted.
Elekid lost 10% of its health.
HeYhEy switched in Machop (lvl 5 Machop ?).

Misdreavus: X_X
Elekid: 90%
Machop: 100%
Score 5-5 tie
---
Alright, that plan went off without hitch. Misdreavus is dead and the game is tied 5-5. HYU sends in a Machop to avenge Misdreavus's death, which I can pretty much assume is scarfed, as its only priority is Bullet Punch, resisted by Elekid and Elekid can KO it in return with Thunderpunch. With this in mind, I switch in Gligar on the predicted Dynamicpunch.

Bleh. I was wrong, but no matter. His Gastly is gone, so let the Dynamic Pain begin! He may still have Gligar or something to take DPunch, but I hope not :/.
---

Dragonite24 switched in Gligar (lvl 5 Gligar ?).
Machop used Dynamicpunch.
It's not very effective...
Gligar lost 19% of its health.
Gligar became confused!

Machop: 100%
Gligar: 81%
---
Ok, if I wasn't sure if he was scarfed before, I know it now. Anyways, Gligar has a free turn because of he switch, so it’s time to set up some rocks, which are highly important in in LC due to there being multiple Sashed pokemon in the metagame.

Well...shiit. I hate Gligar and now I know he is going to set up SR or Rock Polish, either way I am going to have some trouble. I can get Taillow in to scare it off, and possibly take a couple Pokemon out along the way. I know he wont be using Stone Edge on Machop, so itsa pretty safe move.
---

HeYhEy switched in Taillow (lvl 5 Taillow ?).
Gligar is confused!
Gligar used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!

Gligar: 81%
Taillow: 78%
---
Ok, Gligar did its job setting up rocks, even when confused. However, its job is done in this matc, due to it not being able to counter much of HYU's team, minus Machop, who has Ice Punch anyway. I decide to sacrifice it in order to do as much damage to Taillow as possible.

Grr, those rocks make my life misserable, because Diglett uses a Sash, and Taillow/Houndour are weak to SR. I think he may get Greedy and leave Gligar in, which is a big mistake. Facade should KO Gligar, as it usually does.
---

Taillow used Facade.
Gligar lost 65% of its health.
Gligar is confused!
Gligar used Aqua Tail.
Taillow lost 58% of its health.
---
Taillow used Quick Attack.
Gligar lost 15% of its health.
Dragonite24's Gligar fainted.
HeYhEy's Taillow fainted.

Gligar: X_X
Taillow:X_X
Score 4-4 tie
---
And Gligar goes down, but not before doing heavy damage to Taillow and eventually take it out with some bure damage. For my next switch in, I decide on Scarf Cranidos, whose base 125 attack stat tears holes in much of LC.

50% confusion my Ass!! Well at least his Gligar is down, which is my main/only Problem remaining in his team. Im going to send in Machop to spam more Dynamic Punches, and I dont beleive he can take them anymore.
---

Dragonite24 switched in Cranidos (lvl 5 Cranidos ?).
Pointed stones dug into Machop.
Machop lost 4% of its health.

Cranidos: 100%
Machop: 96%
---
Hmmm, HYU sent out the bitch known as Machop again. This is a terrible matchup for me, as Cranidos cannot KO a full-health Machop and it can KO him in return. And to make things worse, Gligar is gone, so I have no counter to it. I realize here that Cranidos will not be able to do anything this match.

Well he can do a number to Machop, but not enough to KO, I can take him out with Dynamic Punch quite easily.
---
Cranidos used Earthquake.
Machop lost 58% of its health.
It's super effective!
Cranidos lost 100% of its health.
Dragonite24's Cranidos fainted.

Cranidos: X_X
Machop: 38%
Score 4-3 HeYhEy
---
Don't worry, Cranidos, you will be avenged! Actually, Cranidos made a decent contribution to the match, putting Machop in KO range for one of my revenge killers, namely Taillow, my next switch-in.

Grr, Im confident Taillow can KO Machop with QA, I need to sacrifice something because Machop is my key to victory at the moment, and he knows it. Ill send in Diglett, as its near useless without it's sash and I can use Sucker Punch to do a number to Taillow before diglett gets smacked.
---

Dragonite24 switched in Taillow (lvl 5 Taillow ?).
HeYhEy switched in Diglett (lvl 5 Diglett?).
Pointed stones dug into Diglett.
Diglett lost 6% of its health.
Diglett lost 76% of its health.
Taillow is hurt by poison!
Taillow lost 5% of its health.

Diglett: 18%
Taillow: 95%
---
Definitely not my intended target, but Diglett can be a major pain in the ass, so tearing 76% off of it is actually pretty good. I'm pretty sure that Diglett's Sucker Punch will not KO, so I finish it off with another Quick Attack.

I predicted the Quick Attack correct, and now I can take out a good chunck of his HP with sucker Punch. Diglett sacrificed himself for the greater good!
---

Diglett used Sucker Punch
Taillow lost 50% of its health.
Diglett lost 18% of its health.
HeYhEy's Diglett fainted.
Taillow lost 10% of its health.

HeYhEy switched in Croagunk (lvl 5 Croagunk ?).
Pointed stones dug into Croagunk.
Croagunk lost 5% of its health.

Croagunk: 95%
Diglett:X_X
Taillow: 35%
Score 3-3 tie
---
Taillow finishes off Diglett, but not before taking a hefty 50% damage from Diglett's Sucker Punch, easily putting it in Croagunk's KO range. I decide to Protect to scout for Fake Out, then hit it with Quick Attack. At this point, my plan is:

1. Kill Machop
2. ???
3. Sweep!

Thats a nice plan there D24, but Im going to do everything in my power to make sure you dont even get passed step one! Im going to take out his ever-annoying Taillow with Vacuum Wave, as i live through a quick attack.

---

Taillow used Protect.
Taillow protected itself!
Croagunk used Vacuum Wave.
Taillow protected itself!
Taillow lost 15% of its health.
---
Croagunk lost 63% of its health.
Croagunk used Vacuum Wave.
Taillow lost 20% of its health.
Dragonite24's Taillow fainted.
Croagunk lost 5% of its health.

Croagunk: 26%
Taillow: X_X
Score 3-2 HeYhEy
---
All I have left is Elekid and Staryu, versus his Croagunk, Machop, and Mystery Pokemon. Elekid can KO Croagunk, so that's not a factor. I'm not sure whether or not Elekid can KO what would be a 34% Machop with QA. However, my main concern is the mystery Pokemon. If it can KO Elekid and Staryu, than this battle is over. If they can counter it, than the battle boils down to Elekid v. Machop, winner take all, and I have to get to that situation at all costs. But first, I have to get rid of that pesky Croagunk.

I have a nice advantage, as he doesnt know I have an awesome MixDour as my last Pokemon, who can pull me out of many situations with its STAB Sucker Punch. He will be able to take out my Croagunk with QA, but its not much of a big deal now, as I can take care of Elekid with Houndour, im not sure if Machop can live through a Quick Attack from Elekid......
---

Elekid used Quick Attack.
Croagunk lost 26% of its health.
HeYhEy's Croagunk fainted.

Croagunk: X_X
Score 2-2
---
And now the mytery poke is revealed...

bye Croagunk, lets see if his Elekid is a Sucker.
---

HeYhEy switched in Houndour (lvl 5 Houndour ?).
Pointed stones dug into Houndour.
Houndour lost 21% of its health.

Houndour: 79%
---
Houndour! This is getting more and more intense. If it’s a Mixdour, I can switch in Staryu in on the Sucker Punch, survive the second Sucker Punch (hopefully), and finish it off with Surf. But if it’s Scarfed…

Im fairly sure he knows my Houndour is a MixDour, so he may try to Cross Chop, thinking that he will live through a Sucker Punch. Houndour can take a couple QA's so I pick the safest option.
---

Dragonite24 switched in Staryu (lvl 5 Staryu).
Houndour used Sucker Punch.
But it failed!

Houndour: 79%
Staryu: 100%
---
YES! I predicted correctly, and now Houndour is almost at Staryu’s mercy, with Sucker Punch not KOing (again, hopefully), Staryu being faster, and Surf knocking out the Fire pup.

Ooo, Staryu. Little does he know, a LO Sucker Punch has a good chance to OHKO Staryu (~50%) chance to KO his Staryu. Anyway, after his Staryu is down, I can take his Elekid out as long as he doesnt outpredict me too badly. Victory is in my grasp!
---

Houndour used Sucker Punch.
Staryu lost 89% of its health.
Houndour lost 5% of its health.
Staryu used Surf.
It's super effective!
Houndour lost 74% of its health.
HeYhEy's Houndour fainted.
Staryu lost 5% of its health.

Houndour: X_X
Staryu: 5%
Score 2-1 Dragonite24
---
Staryu heroically hangs hangs on and gives me the first lead in this game, but it will be a rather short-lived one, with HeYhEy's next switch-in, Scarfchop.

SHIT. I really wanted that Damage Roll! Now this is anyones game, but I only have one choice, Machop has to finish this with Dynamic Punch, hopefully he can live through a QA from Elekid..
---

Pointed stones dug into Machop.
Machop lost 4% of its health.
Staryu lost 5% of its health.
Dragonite24's Staryu fainted.

Machop: 34%
Staryu: X_X
Score 1-1
---
Well, this is it. Elekid v. Machop, the exact match-up I wanted a few turns ago. But the question is: Can Elekid do it? Can he, the newest addition to my team, KO Machop and bring home the gold?

With Machop's defenses, he may be able to live through this QA, but Im really not sure.....Please survive and then finish it with a Dynamic Punch!

Elekid used Quick Attack......

Suspense!

Machop lost 25% of its health.
Elekid lost 71% of its health.
Dragonite24's Elekid fainted.
HeYhEy wins!

Ah well, I guess the slump shall continue. =/ But it was a very good match, the best I have had in any tier to date. GG, HeYsUp.

Whew, that was a close match! Very exciting, GG D24!

And it's time for...

Props and Slops!

Props

- Gligar for setting up SR and killing Tailow

- Elekid for almost pulling off a sweep.

- HYU's Machop for sweeping my team

- HYU for an amazing battle.

Slops

- Gastly for being nothing but a punching bag for Taillow

- Cranidos for getting only one turn of action

- Me for having a Machop-weak team

- Me for dropping my donut =(

- Me for spelling the title wrong :0

Well, I hoped you all liked it! It's my first warstory, so rate or hate!

I liked it. I loled at the donut bit. btw, does sucer punch have a chance to OKOH or not? you two confused me on that popint

Altair

just who is the coon?
Well, from experience it never does more than 89%, but Libelledra says that actually does have a chance to KO, so I'll edit my part out.

Don't worry, Cranidos, you will be avenged! Actually, Cranidos made a decent contribution to the match, putting Cranidos in KO range for one of my revenge killers, namely Taillow, my next switch-in.
I think you meant Machop here.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable warstory, good job. :D

And a note: don't put the highlight the ending things. They're stupid, pointless, everyone is going to highlight them anyway, and they kill the suspense to an otherwise suspenseful ending. So take that part out and you have a nice warstory. ^^

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I really enjoyed this warstory, I think the fact it was Little Cup, which I almost never hear anything from, helped out a lot too. It's making me want to try it too, honestly.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That was one of the best Little Cup matches I've ever seen. Congrats to both of you.

Too bad about that Elekid though :(

Setting up stealth rock didn't help you at all, either. That was pretty surprising to me. If anything, the turn you wasted setting it up cost you the whole match =\

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a defending SPL Championdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
Lol, the donut was fun

The match was very nice and the comments too, i guess it was a very good warstory =)

Altair

just who is the coon?
Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

@jrrrrrrr- Setting up SR basically was to prevent his sashed Diglett to come in on Elekid and basically destroying any hope I had of winning at that point, as I needed to keep all of my priority users alive to handle Machop.

@Scepticallistic- thanks, edited in the changes.

Also am probably the first person to mispell the title of their warstory. ._.

That was one of the best Little Cup matches I've ever seen. Congrats to both of you.

Setting up stealth rock didn't help you at all, either. That was pretty surprising to me. If anything, the turn you wasted setting it up cost you the whole match =\
Thank you.

But Stealth Rock was a good choice of move to use, and it always is in LC. And if he used Earthquake, nothing would have happened anyway, as my Taillow was immune. Not to mention, I could have caused more trouble easily with Diglett if he didnt put SR down as well.

Very fun match D24!

Altair

just who is the coon?
Again, thanks for the positive comments!

@Chou- Except that Misdreavus already has it, along with a decent base attack.

Getting rid of Diglett's sash alone is often worth using up a turn for rocks in LC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)