CAP 10 CAP 10 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, seeing as how capefeather's name does a better job than mine at incorporating CAP10's concept into its name IMO, and since another idea that I like a whole lot more than my old submission of Flexibolt came to me, I'm changing my submission, and hopefully sticking with it this time:

Final Submission:
Prontisimo

As I was reading through the thread just now, this name suddenly came to me. "Pron-" is a corruption of "Prawn" and "-tisimo" comes from the musical term prestissimo, which is the fastest tempo in music. Admittedly, when the term popped into my head, I couldn't quite remember where the "-tisimo" came from. I knew it was a musical tempo term, but the actual term, though being on the tip of my tongue, escaped me. Luckily though, my roommate plays the guitar, and he had a little electronic metronome on his desk, which has the tempos written on it, and jogged my memory for me.

Anyway, back to the name itself, using "Pron-" as the spelling for the first part of the name mostly because "Prawn" puts me over the character limit, and it looks a bit better this way and isn't quite so gaudy, IMO. Beyond that, it rolls off the tongue very nicely IMO, and works very well for CAP10: it's a prawn, and it's pretty quick, so it works. Plus, similar to my old submission, it still kind of incorporates CAP10's adjustability in there a bit, as, through Trace, it adapts to various threats very quickly.

Beyond that, as I was putting the name in my Google Search bar for safekeeping while I was deciding if I wanted to actually go with this or not, I noticed that "Prontissimo" (with 2 s's, instead of one, like my submission), is an actual word as well (which actually may have very well been where the name in my head actually came from), as it popped up as a suggested search. Apparently, according to Wiktionary, it means "supremely ready", which also fits CAP10 very nicely, as when you are putting CAP10 onto your team, you customize it to make it very ready to take on particular threats to your team. So that works out pretty well as well.

But anyway, unless anyone has any criticism of the name or feels I can make it work better by changing the spelling in a certain way or something, I'm pretty confident I'll be sticking with Prontisimo this time.

I was working today in my office and trying to make a circuit work, while thinking of what I would call this thing. All the time I was doing this, I was trying to get my electrical circuit to transmit data from a microprocessor to my computer. After blowing a few capacitors and finally getting the thing working, I had the program that read the input data running next to a picture of CAP10's art, and well, it sort of came to me.

Final Submission

I am putting forth Byte as a name for CAP10.

A byte in electronics is an 8-bit sequence used to carry data. (More or less) It also depicts what CAP10's art reminds me of, an ankle biting, yet adorable, creature that harasses and can bring down even the monstrous of foes. Also, it gives us an excuse to give it its signature move, Bite!

One thing I wanted to avoid was obvious "shrimp" references, as all of them make CAP10 sound weak. Krill, shrimp, or prawn all make it sound as if I could kick CAP10 and it would die. Furthermore, I wanted a short, one-syllable name, since I feel that very appropriate for CAP10's size and demeanor - switching in and out to beat that threat it's targeting.

Cheers.

Final Submission

After seeing some of the ridiculously complicated names submitted so far, I've decided to keep it simple with Rayprawn. For the dumbie people, it means ray (like a ray of light) + prawn :)

(This is my final submission)

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I hope no one has posted this yet, and if you did, I [probably] didn't see you...

Final Submission:

Bublamp
shall be my choice of name, as there are multiple ways to interpret them, most of them being related to the typings as I fully agree with Rising_Dusk's statement:
Rising_Dusk said:
One thing I wanted to avoid was obvious "shrimp" references, as all of them make CAP10 sound weak. Krill, shrimp, or prawn all make it sound as if I could kick CAP10 and it would die.
Bublamp can be interpreted as Bubble + Amp (speed of the electrical current, for the few who don't know). I cut out an extra B because it allows for the next interpretation. The "Bubble" represents Water, and "Amp" represents Electric.

Bublamp can also be interpreted as Bubble + Lamp. Once again, "Bubble" represents Water, but we use "Lamp" instead of "Amp" to represent Electric. I think it works well because while Bubble gives it a sorta bulky feeling, Lamp also makes it sound bulky, and Amp makes it sound speedy, so it could be Bulky x2 or Bulky + Speedy.

The third interpretation isn't really an interpretation, but more as a side note: If you say "Bublamp" really quickly, it starts to sound like "Bublimp", which, again, makes it sound bulky (if you think a blimp isn't bulky, then Sunkern is Ubers), stressing it's freaking HP stat.

All in all, I think the name has an overall ring to it, with quite a bit of meaning, too.

....ah... I wouldn't sweat it if I were you, it's not like that that name's gonna make it past the first round of voting, if it even gets into that round.... :\ 'Kramp'? Seriously?

But that DOES bring up a good point, it should be a rule to read through the thread and make sure that the name you're posting as your final submission hasn't already been done.

-EDIT- This also brings up a question of mine. Are ALL the Final Submissions in this thread gonna be used in the name selection process, or will there be some sort of filter on the part of Beej and/or the other CAP mods?
Probably going to be a bold poll followed by a clicky poll. That's the way almost everything has been handled so far.

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay, this is really getting out of hand. Just because it's extremely easy to come up with a name, it doesn't give you license to just spew out every idea that pops into your head. Like with any thread, you need to be using DISCRETION in regard to what you post and submit, and quite frankly, some of these names are just people deciding to submit some random stupid pun for kicks because they can. People are flooding this thread, and it's becoming a problem. Only post something if you think it's a really good idea and you think it's going to garner support.

I'd also like to note that there has been little to no feedback on other people's names. This thread has basically consisted of people submitting name after name after name, with no actual discussion. There are over a hundred names in the 8 pages of this thread, and I suggest you start looking for ones that you like. I'm going to come through here and make a list in a moment for people to look at.

This is the 10th time we've done this. Come on.

Final Submission:
Krilusurge

Created from Krill and Surge. Krill for its shrimp like appearance and surge giving its electrical characteristics...
Pretty simple.

Okay, this is really getting out of hand. Just because it's extremely easy to come up with a name, it doesn't give you license to just spew out every idea that pops into your head. Like with any thread, you need to be using DISCRETION in regard to what you post and submit, and quite frankly, some of these names are just people deciding to submit some random stupid pun for kicks because they can. People are flooding this thread, and it's becoming a problem. Only post something if you think it's a really good idea and you think it's going to garner support.

I'd also like to note that there has been little to no feedback on other people's names. This thread has basically consisted of people submitting name after name after name, with no actual discussion. There are over a hundred names in the 8 pages of this thread, and I suggest you start looking for ones that you like. I'm going to come through here and make a list in a moment for people to look at.

This is the 10th time we've done this. Come on.
I completely agree with this... I don't understand how some people have the guts to even bother posting such idiotically simplistic names ('Watter', 'Shramp', and 'Awn', I'm looking at you).

I posted a list of names I liked back on page five, here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2575149&postcount=125
and it hasn't really changed since.

I have thoroughly looked through every bolded name here (and everything saying final submission with an unbolded name), and I only found SJCrew's Scampali and Doug's Ebion as nice names. If I had to pick a fourth name (since I'll likely pick my own), Deck Knight's Prawnto would be it.

Beej, after reading all of these names, I find how ridiculously annoying it is to find absurd names. There are a choice ten that actually make sense, even though I don't like them, but the rest are pointless. Just taking the first three letters of something related to shrimp and taking the last four letters of something related to light and smashing them together doesn't make a name.

If you wanted to look at every Pokemon name, the only ones that do exactly as I said above flow together. Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, as examples. That's why I strongly believe in Krilowatt.

beej

http://pastebin.com/zPhexTgn

This is a list of the names that have been marked as final submissions in this thread. To be even more clear than I was before, the only way your submission will be considered final is if it actually SAYS "final submision" and not just "submission". Rather than submitting more, I urge you to look through this list to see anything that you like, and post support for it. In addition to these final submission posts, there are other posts scattered around with genuinely good name ideas that people are looking for feedback on. I obviously don't want to make it against the rules to submit anymore names, but we have more than enough and I want us to focus on reviewing what we have.

(p.s. thanks to Plus for helping me with the list, and I'm sorry for getting rid of your commentary ;_; especially the one about the "hand kramp")

I'm not completely offended, since I'm tossing my support behind Prawnto and Krilowatt, but was mine ignored because it was edited, or because "Final Submission" was in the title instead of the body of the post?

Aeron Ee1

Nom nom nom
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jumbolt is my favorite so far =P. I like how it makes the shrimp sound huge, jumbo-sized if you will, and explain the huge HP. Its also more concise than say... some of those 3 syllabled submissions (not all, but some).

Some other mentions like
Prawnto
Penaeaday
Prwn

Are also really good names.

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Final Submission

I posted this earlier, and it got some feedback, but I did not mark it as a final submission. So, I'll make this officially my final submission:

Ebion
Ebi (Japanese word for shrimp) + Ion (an electrically charged particle)

This is a tiny pokemon, so I think a short name fits nicely.

Final Submission

Faradeep

Hey I signed in to submit this, it's an amalgamation of "Faraday" the scientist that is associated with electromagnetism, and "deep" referring to CAP10's habitat in the deep sea. I'd like to say that I honestly thought of this before I saw Seizen's name :/ Anyway, good luck to everyone. CAP10 is shaping up to be a great project.

Bull of Heaven

....ah... I wouldn't sweat it if I were you, it's not like that that name's gonna make it past the first round of voting, if it even gets into that round.... :\ 'Kramp'? Seriously?
Does the TL get to decide which options make the name poll? I know he has more power these days and some of these names are terrible, but isn't that a bit much?

On another note, I fully support Krillowatt, with the double L.

beej

Updated the list with little things I missed and the most recent submissions. I would really like to emphasize again how I want people to actually be discussing these names rather than just submitting more and more and more. For all of these tens of names, a very select few are going to be making the polls (under 10), and what makes the poll is going to be largely decided by a combination of posted support and my liking the names.

Engineer Pikachu

Good morning, you bastards!
is a Contributor Alumnus
I posted this earlier, and it got some feedback, but I did not mark it as a final submission. So, I'll make this officially my final submission:

Ebion
Ebi (Japanese word for shrimp) + Ion (an electrically charged particle)

This is a tiny pokemon, so I think a short name fits nicely.
Would you pronounce this as Ebi-on or Eb-ion? I think the latter makes it sound better as IMO it portrays the CAP better, but that's just my thoughts.

EDIT: A lot of the names have extremely similar roots, e.g. Ohm, Prawn, Volt... And no that I think about it, Gamefreak's pokemon names are even more picture-based than our CAPs...

Skymin_Flower

It's Seed Flare time.
Updated the list with little things I missed and the most recent submissions. I would really like to emphasize again how I want people to actually be discussing these names rather than just submitting more and more and more. For all of these tens of names, a very select few are going to be making the polls (under 10), and what makes the poll is going to be largely decided by a combination of posted support and my liking the names.
Do you have to put "Final Submission" in the actual post, or can you put it as the title of the post? That is what i noticed a lot of people did.

Can we submit an already-submitted name that wasn't identified as a Final Submission? Because, really,

badawang

king of the sea in korean :D
is too good to pass up!

Anyway, I'm throwing myself behind Krillowatt (as TM30 said, two L's), Overkrill, and Scampere. As much as I think a short, concise name of ~5 or 6 letters would better serve the little guy, most of the shorter names are kind of iffy. (I lol'ed at "Whaatt," though.) I like the sound of krill in the name, though. Replaces the length of the name in implying smallness. Such is how my brain works.

I'm suprised I didn't see Krillowatt (or Krilowatt) on the list Beej. As I was the first to actually give support to any specific name. There also seems to be some backlash against not having it on the list. So I humbly suggest putting it on the list. As it's literally suppose to be the first one on the list (As it received the first vote).

Dominion said:
I'm suprised I didn't see Krillowatt (or Krilowatt) on the list Beej. As I was the first to actually give support to any specific name. There also seems to be some backlash against not having it on the list. So I humbly suggest putting it on the list. As it's literally suppose to be the first one on the list (As it received the first vote).
The original creator of the name should make a new post with it as Final Submission, then. It won't get added to the list simply because it's good; it has to follow the rules as well.

Furthermore, I'd like to see Doug actually make his submission a Final Submission as well, since some people on IRC thought it was a cool name.

It's funny you should say that because I had posted support of the name Jumbolt on the very first page and it has "mysteriously" disappeared.

Anyways, I'd also like to show support of Krilowatt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)