Tournament against Something Awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I don't even know if I'm posting this in the right place considering it would be well-suited to the General Forum as well, but here goes.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2069820&perpage=40&pagenumber=5

Start reading at Vertical Buttwipe's (lol) post in the middle of the page, the first half of page six, and then skip to page 13 where I first post and read to the end.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2069820&perpage=40&pagenumber=13

Evidently this has been a long running theme at SA, they don't like us and they think we're arrogant and change the rules and shit. Now I've debated with them like only a Jumpman can, lol, but I think the basis of their arguments (and hatred of skarm, lol) and my defense of Smogon is best suited for another thread, so I'm just going to paste the private message that Vertical Buttwipe sent me last night and my reply.

"Hey, sorry about all the shit going down in the Pokemon Megathread, and thanks for taking the time to answer some questions and correct some misconceptions. You have to realize, though, that a lot of people have developed personal biasnesses based on bad experiences on the Smogon server, and (presumably) the forums. As was stated by KGBAgent at one point, I actually had someone forfeit a match because my Luvdisc used Double Team. You've explained the significance of banning DT, though, so you don't need to argue it here. I just find that story funny every time I tell it - the absurdity of FORFEITTING to a Luvdisc (note: He had 5 other pokemon left).

Anyway, the reason I've contacted you was to ask if you can use your pursuasive powers at Smogon to help me set up the GUNES vs. Smogon tournament. Everyone in IRC loves the idea, but agrees it'll never happen - then you came back into the picture. We've decided on a draft format, where I've picked 72 pokemon (well, technically, I picked 89, and I'm still trying to trim the fat, so to speak), and each community selects 6 people to represent them. Each side takes turns picking Pokemon until all 72 are taken (36 to a side, which splits to an even 6 per person). They then decide amongst themselves who gets what, and the 6 people from each team are matched randomly against opponents from the other side. Once these matches are finished the teams are allowed to reformat their lineups (using the same 36 pokemon), and are matched up once again. After this, if there is a tie in the amount of wins per team, each will elect a single representative to play a match against the opponent's rep, and can use all 36 pokemon for their lineup.

The rules that are still being decided upon using are:

- 2v2 or 1v1 (IRC wants the former, but I'm undecided)
- Hidden Power allowed or not (This depends a lot of the next rule)
- Pokemon may not use attacks that are based off their highest attacking stat. This was more of a "for fun" gimmick that has evolved into a potential rule. Also Pokemon who have the same base stats in both must have attacks of both type (attack and special) in their movepools, and may ONLY have attacks (no Sunny Day/Subs/etc).
- Pokemon's nature must reflect the portrait of said Pokemon (eg. a picture of a pissed-off blastoise could not be Modest). I personally love this rule, but there's no way to enforce it.

Any suggestions are welcome, but keep in mind that it's pretty much trying to be as strange and abnormal as possible. I'll tell you the 72 pokemon once I finish shrinking down the list (assuming you're interested in helping, of course). This'll probably take place on a private server, but we'll allow spectators. I think it would be a good learning experience for everyone - the goons are getting a bit stale in their strategies (see. Rei), and, dispite what you say about Smogon, they could use a dose of the alternative, too. I remember when I swept one goon's lineup with a physical sweeping Hypno (Brick Break, HP(Ground), Frustration, Counter), and it was amazing. THAT is what this tournament is about - innovation and fun, not counters to the counters (no offense, of course).

Thanks for your time, and good luck with Skarm. I don't know much about him personally, but he's the only one of the higher-ups over at Smogon that I can't stand. I think he just comes off as arogant. Anyway, peace."

To which I replied:

hey man, thanks for getting in touch with me. I know you've said you don't need me to argue anything about DT in this here PM, so the only thing I'll say is, again, usually one person does not and cannot typify an entire community. Sure, most Smogon regulars will roll their eyes at Double Team, but only a fool would actually forfeit that battle to a Luvdisc, considering it poses little to no threat by itself, DT or not.

As for your tournament, I do like your and the Gunes' enthusiasm for it in general, and I'm sure Smogon would like to meet it in kind. That said, a lot of the rules upon which you propose we need to agree are, in many ways, as extreme as the standards SA feels Smogon has set. Why do we need to be "as strange and abnormal as possible?" If anything, I would think the Gunes would want a tournament with a few restrictions as possible. A Pokemon draft isn't really idea, and I know that that, among a few other things, will just not fly with Smogon, sorry. I'm sure we'd be down with a more conventional tournament, though.

Thanks again,

Jump

But I will be the first to tell you that since I don't actually care about pokemon tournaments, I probably shouldn't be speaking on our behalf, even given a lot of the shit that was said in the thread about changing up the [meta]game so much. So how open would you guys be to having a tournament with these guys?

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
I would forfeit to dt luvdisc.. I mean, battling a dt luvdisc would just be a stupid waste of time..

I like their rules too.. Obviously I wont be able to join, but it sorta seems cool..

Have a nice day.

I liked that post about the Male Gardevoir rule, hahahaha.

A lot of what they say seems to be generalisation, or worse, just their interpretation from what they've heard. Of course I wouldn't have expected much better from people who only have experienced "the n00000bs on the nb server"...but then again they'e comparing it to their own community it seems, which has a pay-to-post anti-stupidfuck filter.

I'd be all for a tournament that's for fun, though this one reeks of Smogon vs PokeRealm...where everyone will be like "it's for fun :):):)" and in the meantime keeping track of who is winning and yelling at each other and shit. I'd agree with that this shouldn't be a standard tournament, but playing with really abnormal rules doesn't really float my boat either.

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
A tournament with them would be fun, though I'm not sure that draft will settle well with the people who will be representing us.

makiri

My vast and supreme will shall be done!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I still want to see a return to the old Gamefaqs vs Pojo vs Smogon vs etc, it just sounds so cool, wish it could still be done, but alas some places no longer have a competive mindset (Pojo, seems like I'm the only one with any kind of knowledge there anymore) or just plain are n00bs ((BAN ME PLEASE)), but yeah if that ever happened I would be surprised and would readily participate/watch

Shiv

mostly harmless
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Come to think of it, something like IBT would be awfully fun! Additionally, we could add stuff like different metagames or whatever.

I can think of Smogon, GameFAQs, Pokerealm, GUNES participating. You can probably find another 2 good communities.

Believe me, GameFAQS is not a good community. Anybody good on GameFAQS went to AA's, GameFAQS is a bunch of crap.

Come to think of it, something like IBT would be awfully fun! Additionally, we could add stuff like different metagames or whatever.

I can think of Smogon, GameFAQs, Pokerealm, GUNES participating. You can probably find another 2 good communities.
UUSF and AA's. Let gamefaqs have ABBYHITTER and whatever other shit they can spew up.

Sup Jump. This is skarm, posting on Sir Chris' account because I'm sitting beside him and too lazy to switch accounts. I'll probably repost what I'm going to say when I get home under my name but whatever. I assume the "hatred of skarm" is about the Pokemon itself and not me?????

Either way, while I could be an elitist and be like "GUNES vs. Smogon is a waste of time" (and really it most likely is) I say bring it on. I mean this sounds like it's just going to be another tournament filled with DT whoring and what not if we give in and allow it - ironically my fundamentals tournament battle against MoP we just had the exact same team and he got lucky first- and it would be completely luck based. I don't care. Maybe 1v1 followed by a 2v2 match, with tiebreaker format being 1v1 or something. Who knows.

I'll talk to you more on AIM about this when I get home on the 29th. I assume you miss ranting to me about stuff!!!!!

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The idea of the draft is really excellent... that could be a lot of fun.

- Pokemon may not use attacks that are based off their highest attacking stat. This was more of a "for fun" gimmick that has evolved into a potential rule. Also Pokemon who have the same base stats in both must have attacks of both type (attack and special) in their movepools, and may ONLY have attacks (no Sunny Day/Subs/etc).
- Pokemon's nature must reflect the portrait of said Pokemon (eg. a picture of a pissed-off blastoise could not be Modest). I personally love this rule, but there's no way to enforce it.
Those 2 potential rules are completely retarded.

Also, a combination of 2vs2 and 1vs1 would be fun. I hope this works out.

I'm up for it.

I'd rather get to choose any pokes I like(Within reason of course, as in, no Wobby, and possibly no ubers at all), so that I'm not so restricted.

But if we do have to choose from a limited number of pokes, I'll be happy to get some movesets for them if they're kinda obscure.

Seriously, I made a Grumpig that can compete in OU and oustall blissey, among other things.

Hah there are so many pokes which own with those rules.Not that I think you would let me "represent" Smogon, but I think this would be hilarious. BTW they ARE talking about Netbattle teams, right?

The rules for this tournament were posted incomplete. We decided on 1v1, ditched the nature rule and the attacks-of-lower-stat rule, and picked 72 pokemon for the draft. We're running a GUNES version of the tournament (since, as you saw, Jump didn't favor the idea, so we figured it safe to assume the worst), but we'd love to do a Smogon/GUNES/whoever else tournament after. Every pokemon is from the UU/OU list, and we banned Hidden Power unless it gets STAB from the user. When we did the draft pick (taking turns picking pokemon for each team), it was actually really fun. You were biting your nails hoping your opponent didn't grab your next pick, and then jumping for joy when they didn't.

Anyway, I'll post more once we get the results of the first run of the tournament in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)