Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also we've never had a case where both a Pokemon's abilities change upon evolution (which would have to happen if Pigeon and Eagle are related).

Green Blob looks like it could evolve so I'm not too worried. It's just that Gochiruzeru looks like an evolved Pokemon/a Pokemon that doesn't evolve. Having a pair of version exclusives with a different number of Pokemon in the evolution line seems somewhat taboo...

Maybe Green Blob and Gochiruzeru are related in the same way Ekans and Sandslash are, i.e.:
X --> Gochiruzeru
Green Blob --> Y

Thoughts?

They'll probably make some sort of "Battle Fronteir Clause" that you can turn on along with other possible clauses like Item, Species, and Sleep/Freeze.

Edit: Unfortunately, I think the blob is FE and it and Gothmon have the same or similar BSTs.

Tyrogues abilites both switch for each of its evolutions

Guts/Steadfast to Iron Fist/Keen Eye (Hitmonchan)
Guts/Steadfast to Limber/ Reckless (Hitmonlee)
Guts/Steadfast to Technichian/ Intimidate (Hitmontop)

>Starly
>Evolves into a hawk

Gamefreak doesn't give a damn about what makes and kicks reason to the curb. Though Wargle is not a Mamepato evo, I feel pretty sure Mamepato WILL evolve into a bird of prey of some sort.

@Mario with Lasers: DAMN IT I should have made that my avatar first.
I was referring to the Remoraid argument, in which I meant that when it comes to birds, GF tends not to make them look retardedly different. Starly and Staraptor still look similar. Mamepoto and Wooguru look absolutely nothing alike, to a point where the only thing you can say that they have in common right off the bat is the fact that they're both birds. Also, if it were it's evo, don't you think they would've said so, just like how they did with Munna and Musharna? There's really no point in hiding the fact that they were related (if they were) if they already revealed the pokemon, as well as specific details such as height and weight.

Also we've never had a case where both a Pokemon's abilities change upon evolution (which would have to happen if Pigeon and Eagle are related).
Actually, both of Numel's abilities change when it becomes Camerupt...very weird.
My guess would be that Mamepato and Wooguru are not related but I wouldn't be surprised if they were.

They'll probably make some sort of "Battle Fronteir Clause" that you can turn on along with other possible clauses like Item, Species, and Sleep/Freeze.

Edit: Unfortunately, I think the blob is FE and it and Gothmon have the same or similar BSTs.
I'm hoping that they will have different "leader boards" for all of the different modes available to two people battling (GS Cup, etc...), but its more likely it will be closer to Battle Tower. Top-tier Ubers (Mewtwo, Lugia/Ho-oh, Kyogre/Groudon, etc...) and event pokemon are banned, with single, double, or triple battles at Level 50 using either auto-leveling or flat battles.

Like I said before, though, I'm excited at the possibility of world-wide battle rankings fighting actual opponents IN THE ACTUAL F***ING GAME. (Battle Tower WiFi doesn't count because you can't fight real people)

Tyrogues abilites both switch for each of its evolutions

Guts/Steadfast to Iron Fist/Keen Eye (Hitmonchan)
Guts/Steadfast to Limber/ Reckless (Hitmonlee)
Guts/Steadfast to Technichian/ Intimidate (Hitmontop)
Yeah I guess, though that's kind of a special case as one set of abilities were added in Gen III and the second set in Gen IV. So it's more like the scenario where a Pokemon with a single ability gains a new ability upon evolution.

@ Deluge: same point about 3rd vs. 4th Gen abilities applies to Numel and Camerupt.

I dunno I feel I'm kind of reaching for straws here... bottom line I'd be really surprised if they were related. I was just trying to back it up with some evidence but it fell flat.

I say we should write a letter to the GameFreak company and tell them that they should have a seperate room that says "no Ubers". It's never to late to write a letter to the company, especially when the game hasn't been finished yet. All we have to do is tell them to look up the smogon tier list, so they get an idea of what Pokemon, items, moves they should ban.

Hacks concern me as well because of Wondertomb's are going to be everywhere. Also, Volt Absorb Gyarados could be scary as well...
Yeah that really worries me. Because if they put no limit on what you can bring all you're gonna see is Uber teams. You're ranked number one? Big deal you did it with a team full of Arceus or something. The leaderboard would be meaningless in my opinion. What I hope they'll do is something similar to another DS game I played a little while ago (think it was one of the Yu-Gi-Ohs) where they had different lobbies/leaderboards for different styles of play. Say one lobby would be a No Limits battle, you bring whatever. Another would be like No Legends or something to that effect. And another would be Little Cup rules or something similar. That's what I hope they do anyway. I am stoked for the random battling though, gonna love not having to hunt a player down for an FC.

Hacks would be a big issue. Mostly because again you could easily hit the tops of the leaderboards by having a team of Wondertombs with 255 EVs across the board and packing stuff like Draco Meteor or something, making leaderboards meaningless. Correct me if I'm wrong though, but I think Nintendo already has a safety for illegal hacks. One way I used to check and see if I had been traded legal pokemon was to load them on PBR. If there was a problem in the moveset/stats/ability it'd show up as a bad egg. On PBR I never ran into an illegal hack. Some pokes may have been caught in different pokeballs but as far as I could tell stats/movesets/abilities were all completely legal. So technically not TOTALLY legal, but legal in all the places that matter. I see no reason why a similar safety check couldn't be employed in the DS. But again, I may be wrong.

@ Deluge: same point about 3rd vs. 4th Gen abilities applies to Numel and Camerupt.

I dunno I feel I'm kind of reaching for straws here... bottom line I'd be really surprised if they were related. I was just trying to back it up with some evidence but it fell flat.
Both their abilities were different in Gen III then they added two more that were still different.
I kind of feel Mamepato isn't related to Wooguru but GF has done all kinds of weird things with abilities through evolution chains including dropping and reintroducing the same ability.

I was referring to the Remoraid argument, in which I meant that when it comes to birds, GF tends not to make them look retardedly different. Starly and Staraptor still look similar. Mamepoto and Wooguru look absolutely nothing alike, to a point where the only thing you can say that they have in common right off the bat is the fact that they're both birds. Also, if it were it's evo, don't you think they would've said so, just like how they did with Munna and Musharna? There's really no point in hiding the fact that they were related (if they were) if they already revealed the pokemon, as well as specific details such as height and weight.
It's nice you thought all this out, but it's not as if you needed to convince me-- in that same post, I said Wargle isn't a Mamepato evo. I even explained in a post not far below my reasoning why, including the whole concept "If it was a Mamepato evo, then why are they hiding it", which was also the only good reason Munna wasn't a Drowzee prevo. My point was just because it was an eagle doesn't mean it's not a Mamepato evo.

It wouldn't matter to me if someone hacked 31 IV's across the board because anyone can hatch a Pokemon with 31 IV's across the board. Just as long as no one uses any hacked Pokemon with 255 EV's, illegal move pool (Charizard using Surf), abilities, and some cheats like "Always Hit" (eg: Sheer Cold/ Fissure/ Horn Drill) (if there is such a thing) or infinite HP where you don't take damage.

It would be awesome if they had a message board on Wi-Fi where you can choose the persons name and challenge that person directly.

It wouldn't matter to me if someone hacked 31 IV's across the board because anyone can hatch a Pokemon with 31 IV's across the board. Just as long as no one uses any hacked Pokemon with 255 EV's, illegal move pool (Charizard using Surf), abilities, and some cheats like "Always Hit" (eg: Sheer Cold/ Fissure/ Horn Drill) (if there is such a thing) or infinite HP where you don't take damage.

It would be awesome if they had a message board on Wi-Fi where you can choose the persons name and challenge that person directly.
You can't trade hacked Pokemon via the GTS, so I don't think they'd make an even bigger mistake with this.

I disagree. The reason for the friend codes are to protect children's anonymity. A message board would be a negative thing from that front, and the same thing can be accomplished with a simple google search for the older crowd.

Assuming there is some sort of protection against hacked pokes, the auto-matchmaking will provide you with a battle with someone at approximately your same level of skill (at least once everything levels out with the best rising to the top).

Problem is that movepools change. Though it should be no shit to check for EVs and Nature.

You guys are idiots if you think they are not going to impose bans on pokemon like groudon and palkia. I mean, have you really never set foot into the battle tower this past 3 generations and never noticed that they banned the powerful legends from it? lol

I cannot stress this enough but GAMEFREAK IS NOT THAT DUMB.

If leaderboards are present they are going to make sure it's legit.
Yeah, I figure if that if you're uploading your savefile, there will be hack-checks.
Who knows, future VGCs make take place through this interface.

Problem is that movepools change. Though it should be no shit to check for EVs and Nature.
They have your savefile on their server and they control the code that's doing the hack-check and can change it whenever.
If they're committed, I don't think it'll be an issue to keep illegal movesets out.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I cannot stress this enough but GAMEFREAK IS NOT THAT DUMB.

If leaderboards are present they are going to make sure it's legit.
HA hah aha ahah ahahhaahhahahaaa!! Ha! Heh...

That's a good one. Seriously, though, they are that dumb. I don't even think that the team that makes the wireless and Wi-Fi connection features ever talk to the people who make the Pokémon and the game mechanics.

No, we can look forward to another lazy implementation with no Sleep Clause and maybe a paltry list of banned Pokémon. Forget any sort of comprehensive tiering; you'll just be disappointed when the game comes out.

That's why programs like Shoddy Battle will always be around. GameFreak couldn't set up a balanced metagame to save their lives.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say the teams that make the wireless and Wi-Fi connections. They didn't talk to each other either, it would appear. "Let's have level scaling for Wi-Fi, but not local wireless." "Let's have a bunch of special cups for wireless, but not Wi-Fi." "Let's have entirely different implementations for each." Pathetic.

HA hah aha ahah ahahhaahhahahaaa!! Ha! Heh...

That's a good one. Seriously, though, they are that dumb. I don't even think that the team that makes the wireless and Wi-Fi connection features ever talk to the people who make the Pokémon and the game mechanics.

No, we can look forward to another lazy implementation with no Sleep Clause and maybe a paltry list of banned Pokémon. Forget any sort of comprehensive tiering; you'll just be disappointed when the game comes out.

That's why programs like Shoddy Battle will always be around. GameFreak couldn't set up a balanced metagame to save their lives.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say the teams that make the wireless and Wi-Fi connections. They didn't talk to each other either, it would appear. "Let's have level scaling for Wi-Fi, but not local wireless." "Let's have a bunch of special cups for wireless, but not Wi-Fi." "Let's have entirely different implementations for each." Pathetic.
Well, I think it's technically incorrect that they couldn't even if they tried. IF they were actually trying and extensively checking it like us bunch of nerds on Smogon, then we might get some semblance of balance. However, Gamefreak just doesn't give a shit.

TheMaskedNitpicker

Triple Threat
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, I think it's technically incorrect that they couldn't even if they tried. IF they were actually trying and extensively checking it like us bunch of nerds on Smogon, then we might get some semblance of balance. However, Gamefreak just doesn't give a shit.
Good points. It's strange, because there's a lot of evidence that they do give a shit, mostly in the diverse movepools of many Pokémon. The problem is that they also create a bunch of overpowered Pokémon and then never gave rules to remove them from play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)