Emails from Steve Jobs

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
$999 Macbook:

• 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
  • 13in screen
  • 2GB DDR3 memory
  • 250GB hard drive1
  • NVIDIA GeForce 320M

$750 Acer:

• 2GHz Phenom 2 Quad
  • 17in screen
  • 4GB DDR3 memory
  • 500GB hard drive1
  • Mobility Radeon HD 5650 (a lot faster than Geforce 320M

performance is shot when it's not plugged in, so let's not include battery life as an issue.

Double cores, RAM, hard drive space and video card performance, 4in more screen space.
here is one

and another

and one more

Those aren't even really good deals. You can get ridiculous good refurbs from dell outlet with discounts on top of that. I had a buddy just get one for 380 shipped to his door. i3 4gb ram all that jizz. If you really want ten hours of battery you can customize them wherever you want. Although i never see a practical use for it.

Apples are incredibly overrated and overpriced.
I can't tell if you're both illiterate or trolling. I ask for a 13" screen and get a 17" one. I say battery life is very important to me, and you say "needs to be plugged in".

I think you both need to realize that not everybody uses their laptop as their primary computer. I built my desktop last year. I have a 23" (TN x.x) monitor, 4GB of RAM, 3.4 GHz Core 2 Quad processor, and a GTX 275 for my gaming / primary workstation. This is a laptop I need for when I'm away from home and working on projects for school or with a client. The features I stated are the features that are important to me.

13in screen = haha at screen real estate
10 hour battery life = yeah, because the screen is small and the video card isn't so great.
Video power to play TF2/L4D = Both of them should run on nearly any dedicated card

Ram and CPU to run all of Adobe at once = so do all the other laptops have 4gb of RAM nowadays, and Macbooks are dualcore while a lot are quadcore around $1000

Well, chalk it up to me for not having a deep wallet; I am incredibly biased because of the premiums.
Screen real estate depends on resolution, not size. I'm not sure why you consider a larger laptop to be a positive.

Unfortunately, the screen resolution isn't as high as I'd like. It's 1280x800 which is the same as my current laptop. Slightly lower than the Asus you linked to and the same as the shittier MacBook which is the same price as the MacBook Pro I bought that you linked to.

I'm not sure why you're justifying battery life being high. It's a required feature for me. Should I be looking at features I don't require to take away features I do require?

The video card isn't dedicated. It's integrated. It's one of NVidia's newer lines. Keeps power consumption and heat low while still allowing me to play some games. Much improved over the 9400M and Intel HD series. Although Intel's new line early next year should give it a run for its money.

While good laptops, those have either too large of a screen/short battery life/just as pricey as apple.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-u30jc-a1/4505-3121_7-34043767.html

That would be your best choice Firestorm.
Yeah, the UL30JT is actually the one I was looking at rather than the U30JC. Unfortunately I had no idea when they'd launch it in Canada (took forever for the US) and being unable to try it out for myself was annoying me. The MacBook Pro offer was ending soon, had a much better screen (good for graphics work, showing off how a project looks) and wasn't too much more so I bit the bullet. I was hearing decent things about the Acer Timeline series too.

While good laptops, those have either too large of a screen/short battery life/just as pricey as apple.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/asus-u30jc-a1/4505-3121_7-34043767.html

That would be your best choice Firestorm.
I mentioned they weren't the best deals you could find but they were all under the $1000 range spectrum. Also i had listed one with a 14 inch screen which is hardly different from 13. I addressed the battery issue as well. You normally have the option to upgrade your battery when constructing your computer. They are all cheaper than the apple equivalent as well. so....i'm not sure if you even looked at my post.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mentioned they weren't the best deals you could find but they were all under the $1000 range spectrum. Also i had listed one with a 14 inch screen which is hardly different from 13. I addressed the battery issue as well. You normally have the option to upgrade your battery when constructing your computer. They are all cheaper than the apple equivalent as well. so....i'm not sure if you even looked at my post.
Dell lets you construct your computer, Best Buy does not. The Dell one you linked to actually doesn't let you change your battery although they often do - probably because it's a promotional item. A larger battery would put it over the price of the MacBook Pro while offering less of what I want and only run one OS rather than two.

Dell lets you construct your computer, Best Buy does not. The Dell one you linked to actually doesn't let you change your battery although they often do - probably because it's a promotional item. A larger battery would put it over the price of the MacBook Pro while offering less of what I want and only run one OS rather than two.
You can buy a bigger or extra gateway battery outside of best buy. Which that laptop was only around 600. And besides that i'm listing general laptops. I already mentioned dell outlet has ridiculously cheap laptops if you spend two seconds to look. I was just showing a quick roundup of laptops with simliar if not better specs for cheaper.

Also

http://www.cultofmac.com/macworlds-13-macbook-pro-review-the-10-hour-battery-lasts-four-hours/39634

I can not hyperlink right now for some reason. Call me a noob.

Firestorm

Er, I'm not retarded. I know the battery doesn't last 10 hours playing video content. No laptop does and no laptop manufacturer is stupid enough to advertise that over the number of hours the laptop lasts either just wifi surfing or using Microsoft Word with no WiFi on.

When you quoted my post, I assumed you were answering me. If not, you probably shouldn't quote my post.

Okay wow, some of you anti-Apple boys are just as bad as Apple fanboys. Especially that user who linked to a gateway and Dell laptop as if somehow that is just the same as a Macbook Pro.

You can't compare on specs alone guys, build quality also goes into it. Any claims that Apple is all "style over substance" is frankly bullshit. Apple is if anything, style and substance.

Like I said before, there is no doubt an Apple tax but Apple isn't chargely a lot for shitty products either. There Macbooks are great. I don't know why we're arguing this any further, anyone who disagrees that a Macbook is a good laptop is just being blinded by Apple hate.

The only laptop I can see being comparable to the Macbook Pro would be the Sony VAIO Z-series and we know how expensive that is.

Apple is more or less a "safe choice" for the consumer that doesn't want to discern specs and learn exactly what computer would be good for their needs. It's the main reason why for any student that can afford it reviewers recommend it for them over PCs.

Okay wow, some of you anti-Apple boys are just as bad as Apple fanboys. Especially that user who linked to a gateway and Dell laptop as if somehow that is just the same as a Macbook Pro.

You can't compare on specs alone guys, build quality also goes into it. Any claims that Apple is all "style over substance" is frankly bullshit. Apple is if anything, style and substance.

Like I said before, there is no doubt an Apple tax but Apple isn't chargely a lot for shitty products either. There Macbooks are great. I don't know why we're arguing this any further, anyone who disagrees that a Macbook is a good laptop is just being blinded by Apple hate.

The only laptop I can see being comparable to the Macbook Pro would be the Sony VAIO Z-series and we know how expensive that is.

Apple is more or less a "safe choice" for the consumer that doesn't want to discern specs and learn exactly what computer would be good for their needs. It's the main reason why for any student that can afford it reviewers recommend it for them over PCs.
How do those laptops not outspec the pro? You didn't say anything besides they are different. it has a better battery and that's about it. For the price you pay that just isn't worth it to me at all. When i can have more hard drive space a better processor and better resolution for much less i don't see how it's blinded by apple hate.

@ firestorm. I was unaware the battery was the make or break for you. Like i said you can always buy another battery if you really aren't going to be plugged in for over three or four hours or stick with apple if you really need more. I just showed much cheaper priced laptops. So i answered your post in the best way i know how.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0339942

This is the only laptop I know offhand that would come close, but I can't vouch for its build/screen quality in comparison to the Macbook Pro.

I guess it depends on what you're looking for - to me, value for money is the most important consideration by a long shot so I barely looked at their computers when I was shopping for a new laptop (I was selling the old Macbook that my parents got me before I really knew anything about computers). The only thing I miss about it is actually the touchpad; their two finger scroll is incredibly responsive and smooth, but the button being integrated into the touchpad design on their new laptops is bad to the point where I'd take pretty much any other touchpad easily.

Firestorm

Yeah, I've heard great things about the Timeline series as well (screen quality isn't there, but the rest are). Unfortunately, haven't seen any in Canada on the smaller side. Only the 15.6" one which is too big for me =/ It was Asus vs Apple and Asus is taking waaaay too long to release their stuff and their communication on the situation has been terrible.

Son of Disaster, reading comprehension. Much like you missed my point about the essentials in my post, you're skipping his post. He didn't say the MacBook Pro outspec'd those. In some regards (CPU, HDD, GPU) they don't. In others, they're equal or better. It depends on what you need from a laptop. Most people buying a laptop don't need the better CPU and GPU. More HDD space is always nice of course, but that's really the only positive for a good portion of the population. This is why netbooks are becoming more and more popular.

IggyBot

!battle
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
13in screen = haha at screen real estate
10 hour battery life = yeah, because the screen is small and the video card isn't so great.
Video power to play TF2/L4D = Both of them should run on nearly any dedicated card
Ram and CPU to run all of Adobe at once = so do all the other laptops have 4gb of RAM nowadays, and Macbooks are dualcore while a lot are quadcore around $1000

Well, chalk it up to me for not having a deep wallet; I am incredibly biased because of the premiums.
What's wrong with a 13" screen? 17" laptops are FUCKING HUGE and I don't even like toting around a 15". My 13" MacBook Pro was great for portability (though I still didn't really take it anywhere with me). You're completely right about Apple overpricing for their hardware. If all you care about are specs, then obviously Apple isn't going to be your thing. After owning a MacBook Pro for a year, if I ever buy another laptop it's going to be a Mac.

The build quality is great, and MacOS was perfect for the laptop. The multitouch track pad and accessibility it offered made me never, not once, plug a mouse into it. I was able to easily navigate and program or page I encountered while using it. No other laptop I have used has been as easy to use as the MacBook Pro, and that right there made it worth it to me.

Since last year I built myself a desktop (dual booting Win7 and Ubuntu for shitzngiggles) and sold off my MBP and picked up an iPad, and I couldn't be happier. I am by no means a Apple fanboy, but for what I use their products for they are great. It all depends on what you're looking for.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
for what it's wroth i've never used a mac that doesn't have fantastic battery life (4 hours normal use) out of the box. most of the workstations i use even with 12-cell lion batteries only get me about 2.

Yeah, I've heard great things about the Timeline series as well (screen quality isn't there, but the rest are). Unfortunately, haven't seen any in Canada on the smaller side. Only the 15.6" one which is too big for me =/ It was Asus vs Apple and Asus is taking waaaay too long to release their stuff and their communication on the situation has been terrible.

Son of Disaster, reading comprehension. Much like you missed my point about the essentials in my post, you're skipping his post. He didn't say the MacBook Pro outspec'd those. In some regards (CPU, HDD, GPU) they don't. In others, they're equal or better. It depends on what you need from a laptop. Most people buying a laptop don't need the better CPU and GPU. More HDD space is always nice of course, but that's really the only positive for a good portion of the population. This is why netbooks are becoming more and more popular.
Perhaps poorly worded but the point was mac hardly has substance. It is a complete style choice for way way too much. They are oustsubstanced in every worthwhile category. Why do you even want two os's? and 7 can run xp inside of it.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I used to do some work for a cousin of mine, ex-microsoft and filthy rich, though his personal computer is a mac os so don't mistake him being impartial or anything. At the time he was running a company that provided sports data processing to basketball teams internationally. Mostly what I did was collect information on various satellite feeds, and then find the most efficient combination of satellites to access for each week's games. But before we did that, we built these suitcase computers for mobile use that would be distributed to various workers across the country. We bought those little Apple computers, because yes, Apple has very good hardware. But my job was to take those computers, and install Windows XP on them, which cut the overall space on the computer by about 25% I think, but that was a long time ago so the percentage may be wildly different. So why do it? Because the idea of doing hardcore datamining on a Mac OS was just laughable.

Of all the computers I've ever had, even the really bad vista I have now (my last vista computer never gave me any trouble), the worst one I ever had was a Mac. Maybe it would be an exaggeration to say it crashed every day, but looking back it sure as hell seems like it did. User friendly? Once I switched to windows, it was just... it was like breaking the 4th wall, and there was a whole world I could explore. I was uncaged.

And most pro Microsoft guys would then try to act fair by saying that the Mac is only good for art stuff. But I got photoshop, sony vegas, 3D studio, what am I hurting for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)