Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
After having three weeks of being slack at the gym (my 21st and all this other stuff was on) I'm back and going harder then ever. Im adding speed training into my routine five days a week in addition to my four day weightlifting split. I noticed during basketball trials that despite my skill being much lower then it was after a year off, physically and athletically I was amongst the standouts (not vertical jump wise, but reaction time, strength, first step) and that's without speed training. By the tone American football season kicks off on August/September I plan to be a machine!

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Goals:
- Lose flab before the season starts
- Get stronger and leaner
- Learn how to eat right
- Be able to jog for 30 min.+
I think that I can cross this one off, because I am pretty sure what I can and should eat now.

Also, the weight class I wrestle at now is 195, but I think it's possible for me to drop down to 182 (the next weight class.) How would I do this if I gained a lot of muscle weight? I know that muscle weighs more than fat, but I don't know if there is a percentage chart I'd be able to look at or something, so if anyone could help me in this regard then that would be great. By the beginning of the season I'd like to be able to bench at least 190, and right now I can lift 115 lbs. when my arms are killing me, so I think that I can get up to that before the season starts.

Oh, and yesterday, in practice, when we went live, I was winning more of the matches, but I still lost a few times. I can honestly say that this is a very fun sport and I can't wait for the season to start.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
probably a dumb question, but is there some kind of formula you can use to determine your current 1RM without actually going and testing? for example, i was benching 75kg x8 for 3 sets today with relative ease, so i was wondering what my theoretical 1RM would be without having to waste a whole session at the gym testing it.

not that it has too much effect on my workout, i was just wondering since i have never done 1RMs before

Yonko7

Guns make you stupid. Duct tape makes you smart.
is a Contributor Alumnus
What are everyone's thoughts on the neck?

We obviously have muscles in our necks otherwise we wouldn't be able to move it, but I've never really seen exercises specifically for the neck, nor have I seen people do them. I would usually stretch my neck by rotating it slowly, something that I picked up from my track experience, and now do it due to habit.

An interesting tidbit is that I did upper and lower back yesterday (deadlifts, wide-grip pullups, lower back extensions, bent-over barbell row, lat pulldown, and low row) and today my neck is sore as well.

Has anyone done any neck stuff?

well everyone works traps with like shrugs and stuff but i don't think anyone works any of the other muscles, i'm not sure how important they are really or if you can make them more appealing / bodybuilding-esque like you can traps (which if you can't, would explain why to me at least no one would work them)

An interesting tidbit is that I did upper and lower back yesterday (deadlifts, wide-grip pullups, lower back extensions, bent-over barbell row, lat pulldown, and low row) and today my neck is sore as well.

Has anyone done any neck stuff?
Well your neck soreness could be a result of posture and putting said posture under weight. Try feeling the back of your neck and making sure it is straight, for some people you almost have to do a double chin retraction movement to stretch those posterior neck muscles to allow for a more natural/neutral position.

But discounting that and providing it's a muscular soreness it is probably just your traps that are feeling a bit tender. The superior trapezius insert all the way up by the base of the skull (ie the occiput) which is higher than most people think of when they imagine 'traps'.

Also especially with your bent over rows: the erector spinae and muscle groups associated with keeping your spine and neck straight like the semispinalis/spelius capitis muscles (which lie a lil bit deep to the traps) work really hard. Especially if you are looking a lil bit forward whilst rowing. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it is chronic. :)

If there are any other long distance runners on here, what kind of running technique do you like to use? This Scooby article originally motivated me to put some thinking into it, so to master the Claw and Kick + Torsional Spring ideas I started using a forefoot landing to get more stride length and spring. My observations over time-

1. I definitely get more distance out of every unit of work I put in.

2. Landing on contracted calf muscles a few thousand times on a run blows me out- at an hour and half what happens is similar to a car's tires falling off.

3. Using the traditional midfoot landing that's probably the standard for everyone seems to cause me to lose more energy hitting the ground but is almost as fast for me, and lets me keep my legs fresh for the "high gear" original technique for later in a run. However, doing this after high gear cannot save my legs if they were already wearing down.

4. Going from low gear to high gear with technique in the middle of a run has me suddenly feel like the ground is a forward trampoline, and lets me really empty my tank better than I could with just one technique the whole way through.

My favorite running workout other than a standard ~90-120 min long run is an hour of ~40 mins of low gear than the last ~20 switching to a near sprint in high gear. It lets me keep my legs fresher for more runs, mixes endurance with high end work and last month gave me the best runners' high I've had in my life: it's hard to describe beyond endorphins but it physically felt like I had completely removed all of the excess air from my lungs, which was the perfect way to know when to stop. Other runs have come close but this type of workout was the only one to get me to that next level of feeling good.

I agree with trying to minimize vertical motion.

When I run I try to land mid-foot unless I'm really kicking. Then I tend to land more on the ball of my foot. I think being able to maintain dorsiflexion of the foot is important for running fast too. ("Fast" as in faster than 2 mile race pace or so)

Hip rotation has always happened naturally for me, it's never something I thought about that much. I think it's an efficient way to maintain a relaxed stride.

Stride length is kind of complicated. An exaggerated stride will tire you out quickly. A lot of people recommend maintaining a constant rate of 180 or so strides per minute, and changing length to change speed. Stride length isn't necessarily solely how far apart your feet go. I think it's more important to consider how far you actually propel yourself with each stride, which doesn't always mean making it longer. Different people have variations in how they optimize their stride, and as long as you aren't wasting energy (vertical motion, rotation of pretty much anything other than the hips, or over exaggerating your stride), or striking with your heel you'll probably be fine.

I have one question. To any of you.

Music - what puts you in the zone to push the limits while working out or exercising.

I need a new playlist and I feel you all must have some tunes that are successful.

Dropkick Murphys- Warriors Code

A lot of their stuff in general is perfect for exercise. I also particulary like the Killers to get me in the zone.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion

Music - what puts you in the zone to push the limits while working out or exercising.

I need a new playlist and I feel you all must have some tunes that are successful.
usually i like some punk/angry/fast music. refused, the reatards, dead kennedys, pixies, white stripes, husker du, fugazi, death grips

sometimes though i'll listen to something more melodic (beat happening is one of my favorites, belle & sebastian for some fucking reason, lcd soundsystem, girl talk)

doesn't really matter though i just listen to it to stay a little less bored. but sometimes if i get a bangin track as i'm about to hit a hard set it really helps my confidence for some reason.

i pretty much just listen to trap / hood anthems

khaled / gucci mane / waka / sosa

then some other hype stuff with like

asap rocky and/or ferg / roscoe / yeezus / weezy / mmg

usually sprinkled into every playlist for some reason is king kendrick

and always my #1 motivator straight out the gutta

ACE HOOD

San_Pellegrino

the eternal dreamer
is a Team Rater Alumnus
i listen to the cool beats of kenny g (his christmas album is by far the best to bike to) and R. Kelly (for those moments when you need to push out that final rep and the chorus of I believe I can fly starts playing).

man good times

This question's a little out there, and I hate to flood the thread with me asking tons of questions, but this is just a short one so hopefully it won't matter as much. OK so I'm trying to get myself back into jogging a bit more to build up on my cardio a bit, and intend to try and aim for around 20KM per week at the very least to make up for the fact I'm gaining weight (as I want to ensure I remain under 10 stone really). My question here - What kind of technique do you personally use during jogs/runs if you're limited on stamina? Do you do a small amount of high intensity running with breaks, or do you maintain a slow steady pace while ensuring you don't stop or slow to a walk over the course of your routine? I personally do the latter myself, as it's kind of what I've accustomed myself towards, not to mention I feel it does very well for building up one's stamina. What do some of you do though?

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
You're not supposed to lift weights before you hit puberty. It stunts your growth and fucks up your hormones and you end up sounding like a little child when you're 25 (a la Kerri Strug).

Ya, Some small 9 year old bigshot is gonna be a midget. Well, does any of you enjoy lifting or you do it for the looks?

My question here - What kind of technique do you personally use during jogs/runs if you're limited on stamina? though?
When you're starting out, all that really matters is that you're doing it like you're starting out. By that I mean don't worry at all about your speed, and try not to walk if possible, go as slow as you can maintain the whole time. Not only is maintaining a slow speed easier, it's also without question faster. Just start out at 20 minutes per day, get a little bit better every day, and before too long you can build up more speed and time as you see fit. After a while when you're really comfortable you can mix speeds as you see fit to experiment / mix it up.

Ya, Some small 9 year old bigshot is gonna be a midget. Well, does any of you enjoy lifting or you do it for the looks?
why are the two mutually exclusive? I'm pretty sure everyone here enjoys lifting but I bet many also do it for the looks

as for running technique, messing with my technique fucked me over. i wouldn't worry much about it. just get in some racing flats and run

why are the two mutually exclusive? I'm pretty sure everyone here enjoys lifting but I bet many also do it for the looks

as for running technique, messing with my technique fucked me over. i wouldn't worry much about it. just get in some racing flats and run
well, you could say both. is protein drinks a dope like vitimin water or actually helpful?:chaos:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)