X&Y LITTLE CUP VICTIM OF THE WEEK (Week 5, SD Gligar) (SEE POST 207)

I tested several pokemon (some of which could be viable) but I will pick Lickitung as my official post (I will note the other pokemon so you guys can try them out.) Post-realization: dang, things kind of fell apart/slowed down after the 36 special attack change.

Lickitung @ Evolite
Ability: Own tempo
Level 5
EVs: 196 HP / 196 36 Special Attack / 236 Special Defense 36 Remaining EVs
Calm Nature
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
- Extra Move 1 (Maybe Wish)
- Extra Move 2 (Maybe Protect)
- Extra Move 3 (Maybe Sleep Talk)

This Lickitung will always survive 2 bug buzzs (also long as the special defense drop does not happen) even after stealth rock (but not always with rocks and spikes) and will KO with fire blast after 1 round of life orb recoil. You could use Wish+Protect to stall until Yanma falls in the KO range for flamethrower (however, dragging out the fight increases the likelihood of a crit or defense drop happening). Crits and Hypnosis can be a problem for Lickitung (although Crits are rare and Sleep talk gives us a fighting chance against Hypnosis).

Calc Time:
This is the first time I am using the calculator mentioned earlier and It felt a little weird, plus it seems that it used a different damage formula than me (my lowest damage number for an attack was 1 point off), but I will just use this calculator for this thread.

I am assuming the opponent always use the best possible move against me when I switch in.

236+ SpA Life Orb Yanma Bug Buzz vs. 196 HP / 236+ SpD Eviolite Lickitung: 9-12 (32.1 - 42.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
(9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 12)

If Bug Buzz drops my defense, Yanma would need max damage roll on the first hit for a chance to KO Lickitung with the 2nd hit
0.469% of all that happening with crits (76.563% with Stealth Rocks)

Since Yanma can't 2HKO Lickitung with the defense drop, It could try to flinch Lickitung on the 2nd hit to drop licki into the KO range. that has a 28.5% chance (factoring in the accuracy) of flinching (Air slash does the same amount of damage as Bug Buzz).

If I somehow switch into Hidden Power, I will be able to survive long enough to counterattack (not considering crits), If I don't KO Yanma with that counterattack, Yanma has a 0.391% chance of KO with the 2nd Bug buzz (12.109% with Rocks). If Yanma Air Slashs (I'll do that later)

As for dealing with Hynnosis:
Assume Yanma bug buzz when you switch in and your attack will KO yanma when you attack, and yanma attacks with air slash when you are asleep while you use sleep talk.
If Yanma Hypnosis while you attack:
Yanma Winning: 45.7%
Yanma Losing: 54.3%

If you felt risky/pro/lucky and decided to use sleep talk on the same turn as yanma Hypnosis (don't do this please):
Yanma Winning: 30.467%
Yanma Losing: 69.533% 29.533%
Nothing changes (except the PPs): 40% (I thought this amount was added to Losing but No sleep + sleep talk = no KO)

Meanwhile, Fire Blast Calcs:
36 SpA Lickitung Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Yanma: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
(20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 20, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 22, 24)
56.25% (47.813 after accuracy factoring) of KOing after one round of Life Orb recoil (two rounds are guaranteed to KO)

In case you are using flamethrower:
36 SpA Lickitung Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Yanma: 16-20 (69.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
(16, 16, 16, 16, 16, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 20)
Before 2 rounds of LO recoil: 0%
after 2 rounds of Recoil: 6.25%
3 rounds: 68.75%
4+ rounds: 100%

however, switching out yanma could allow yanma to give an extra hit to Licki, which licki is probably not going to survive the next hit (unless Hidden power was one of those hit). If making yanma was the goal, well then, mission accomplished.

Other possible pokemons to use:
I was looking for bulky pokemon cause you are not outspeeding yanma unless you are using a timid ponyta with a choice scarf.
Unfortunely, some of my bug buzz calcs used air slash's BP, so I have to retry some of these pokemon.
pokemon are listed by highest special defense, then HP (+ signs show pokemon I think could be viable), I'll let you guys figure out the EVs:
Lileep: can't take dat bug buzz. If only it was not weak to bug buzz...
+Bronzer: has a 99.61% of living 2 bug buzz (even after SR) and can KO with 2 rounds of LO recoil
Frillish: can wall yanma with recover until yanma falls into KO range
Lickitung: Listed
Goomy:is likely to survive 2 hits but can't threaten yanma in return
Flabebe: only 2 air slashs have a chance to KO (better chance with SR), flabebe can stall with wish + protect, but not much else
Amaura: always survives 2 hits without SR or defense drops (harder time with hazards) and can KO with an ice move (maybe a scarfed set can work too?)
Vullaby: likely to survive 2 bug buzz (without rocks) and could KO with air slash or brave bird
Eevee: I gave up on Eevs when CB quick attack could not OHKO (but 2 LO'ed quick attacks could KO, but Eevs faints too)
Clauncher:Gets KOed before Koing Yanma
Skrelp: could KO yanma with HP rock, berry Juice or Evolite can be used
Honedge: Could survive 2 HP grounds but 2+ Shadow Sneak does not OHKO, but none of that matters cause Hypnosis + No Guard = very VERY bad (I forgot about Sleep Talk, but still can't KO)

What, no more calcs? now I feel lonely...jk

I just got an idea: what about using assault vest (I did not test the vest on anyone)?

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
I just got an idea: what about using assault vest (I did not test the vest on anyone)?
Assault Vest gives a 1.5x boost to Special Defense and limits moves to only attacking options. Eviolite gives a 1.5x boost to both defenses and comes with no limitations at all. There is no reason to ever use Assault Vest in LC when literally everything gets the boosts that Eviolite provides.

Last edited:
Assault Vest gives a 1.5x boost to Special Defense and limits moves to only attacking options. Eviolite gives a 1.5x boost to both defenses and comes with no limitations at all. There is no reason to ever use Assault Velt in LC when literally everything gets the boosts that Eviolite provides.
Well, Woobat or Buneary with Klutz would be able to Trick or Switcheroo it away.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, if you're going to run a Tricking set with a Klutz Pokemon, you're much better off Tricking a more crippling item (such as a status orb or a choice item) I guess you could Trick it for a permanent Taunt effect, but that's a lot more situational and won't help you as often as if you were to Trick other items onto your opponents. (Also, Buneary and Woobat are bad Pokemon anyway, so they're not worth it; all other Trick Pokemon can not use Trick with an Assault Vest)

Either way, please try to keep on topic, guys. Countering / checking Yanma is our focus, so there isn't really much of a need to debate the viability of Assault Vest (especially since defensively Eviolite is obviously better in LittleCup.)

I'm impressed with all of the ideas in this thread, because honestly when I tried to think of a counter I really couldn't. I'll keep it up as Yanma for another day for some final discussion, and then we can move on.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok, our next Pokemon is going to be Swords Dance Gligar!

Gligar @ Berry Juice
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Level: 5
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance

Usually known for its solid offensive support set with Knock Off and Defog, offensive Swords Dance Gligar is also a big threat. It hits the magical 19 Speed Tier, letting it tie with most of the tier's top threats and outspeed everything else. With its outstanding Defense stat and impressive 65 / 105 / 65 bulk to match its solid 75 Attack, Gligar is hard to manage defensively and offensively. Its bulk grants it many opportunities to set up for sweeps, and with Acrobatics and Earthquake, Gligar has almost perfect coverage. Knock Off rounds off the set, letting Gligar catch switch ins and remove their item, making it easier for it to KO them. With its ability, Hyper Cutter, it won't be stopped by simple Intimidate shenanigans. You don't want to let this thing get to +2 if you don't have an answer for it. But the key question is, what is an answer to Gligar? Please discuss below!

I'd like to give one final thanks for everyone that participated in last week's VotW. Keep up the great discussion, guys!

Please keep a few things in mind to help clarify discussion:
~If you chose to present something that would switch itself in to counter Gligar, be wary that you must be able to face it at +2, in the situation where it set up as you switched your counter in.
~Assume that Gligar is at 100% HP (something you should always do anyway)

Bergmite @ Eviolite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 228 Def / 52 Atk / 228 HP
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

Bergmite is a mediocre mon all around, but it's great against Gligar and things such as SubRoost Krow thanks to its naturally high defense, which is further boosted by it's Eviolite. Although Eviolite helps, unlike some Pokemon, he doesn't rely on it to beat Gligar, meaning it doesn't fear Knock Off as much. Even if something unlikely, such as a crit happens, you can Recover off the damage taken. It's mono Ice typing is what makes it really great against Gligar. It has no SE attacks to hit Bergmite with, and Bergmite can OHKO with Avalanche, keeping Gligar's Berry Juice from activating. Not much else to say, really. Bergmite counters SD Gligar cold, avoiding the 2HKO and the OHKO if he uses SD on the switch, and can OHKO with Avalanche after taking the attack.

Voltorb @ Life Orb
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 236 SAtk / 196 Spd
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Voltorb can outspeed and OHKO gligar with HP Ice, however, it is extremely risky because gligar can OHKO it on the switch with earthquake or it could use knock off which makes the HP Ice a possible OHKO, but we are assuming it uses swords dance. Taunt additionally lets voltorb break through walls such as ferroseed and volt switch is great for running from vullaby.

236 SpA Life Orb Voltorb Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 26-36 (113 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
236 SpA Voltorb Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 20-28 (86.9 - 121.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Voltorb: 10-12 (47.6 - 57.1%) -- 80.9% chance to 2HKO
236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Voltorb: 32-38 (152.3 - 180.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Archen's kind of shaky against the SD set, mainly thanks to Knock Off. If Gligar uses SD when Archen switched in, it can defeat it.

Scenario
Turn 1:

Gligar uses SD
Archen Switches in

Turn 2:

+2 236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 76 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Archen: 11-13 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO
180 Atk Archen Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 10-13 (43.4 - 56.5%) -- 59.4% chance to 2HKO

In this turn, there are many different variables. If Gligar knocks Archen into Defeatist range, it's attacks become significantly weaker, and Archen loses. If Archen is not knocked into Defeatist range, but knock Gligar past 50%, Berry Juice activates and Archen loses. Archen loses no matter what in the end, but these are just things that can speed up the process.

Turn 3:

+2 236 Atk Gligar Knock Off vs. 76 HP / 236+ Def Archen: 11-13 (47.8 - 56.5%) -- 75% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Archen Rock Slide vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 6-7 (26 - 30.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

I edited Archen's attack EV's and base stat to give me an attack stat of 10, which matches Archen's attack once Defeatist is activated. Now, if Archen lives through the Knock Off, it activates Gligar's Berry Juice. At this point, you can Roost stall, but given Knock Off's damage, you're unlikely to outstall it. Plus, these turns can give him yet another opportunity to SD, meaning you'll definitely lose.

Looking at the many scenarios, variables, and calcs, I really don't think Archen is solid enough to call a counter, or even a check (As long as Gligar still has Berry Juice), since the combination of Knock Off and SD reliably beats it, while Defeatist keeps it from having a chance to finish off Gligar.

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have soooo many things i run to troll gligar

HP Ice is literally the only move you need to ruin Gligar's day.

Icy Wind on the GSC Delinquent Duo also ruins him.

Even my Sticky Web Sewaddle sets run HP Ice.

Poor Gligar though :( It's a cold world out there for him.

(edit for corrections)

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^Am I missing something here or does defeatist not activate for some reason.

164 SpA Defeatist Archen Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 12-16 (52.1 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

because from whichever angle I see it knock off puts it in defeatist range.

And if you are switching in you don't get to roost either

EDIT @below: kay np

Last edited:

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Soul Fly, you're right. For some reason, the calculator didn't auto-set Defeatist as Archen's ability despite it being the only one available to it, and I completely overlooked it.

I apologize, and I've removed my post. Thank you for catching my mistake. I'd hate for one of my posts to mislead anyone. ♥

Gligar ain't got shit on my man Shellder. Get ready guys, I'm about to post a set that isn't shitty.
Get Shell Shocked
Shellder @ Eviolite

Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 36 HP / 156 ATK / 36 DEF / 76 SPATK / 196 SPEED
Naive Nature (+SPEED -SPDEF)
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Hydro Pump

Gonna assume something like--

Turn 1
> Gligar and Magnemite on the field
> Magnemite switches out to Shellder
> Gligar uses Swords Dance
> Turn end.

So here we are, Gligar's got himself a lovely +2 and its just little old Shellder stepping up to the plate. Looks bad, but...!

+2 236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Shellder: 15-18 (75 - 90%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Shellder: 16-19 (80 - 95%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Shellder: 10-12 (50 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Since Gligar's gonna go first thanks to it's wicked speed, you have two options:

1. Shell Smash
2. Go for the kill.

I personally like to Shell Smash because outside of a crit, Shellder can put a stop to Batman. Here's Shellder's calcs.

If you go for the kill:
156 Atk Shellder Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 40-60 (173.9 - 260.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
76 SpA Shellder Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 24-30 (104.3 - 130.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If you shell smash:
+2 156 Atk Shellder Icicle Spear (5 hits) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 80-100 (347.8 - 434.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 76 SpA Shellder Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 44-54 (191.3 - 234.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Good stuff. If you want to go pure physical and swap HPump for like Ice Shard or Razor Shell that's fine too, but this shellder can work while burned. This isn't even as physically tanky as you could make it either, this is just my favorite Shellder.

So yeah.

Still thanking whatever deity that prevented Flying Gem from existing in XY.

A fair number of bulky water types work pretty well against gligar, as long as they're not weak to one of its moves. I guess I'll go with... the man himself mantyke.

HIGH FIVE

Mantyke @ Eviolite
EVs: 76 HP / 36 Def / 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Ability: Water absorb
(or swift swim if thats your kinda thing)
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Air Slash
- Scald / Toxic / Rain Dance (whatever floats your boat)

The calcs
236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 7-9 (31.8 - 40.9%) -- 98.4% chance to 3HKO
236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 7-9 (31.8 - 40.9%) -- 17.6% chance to 3HKO

236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 12-15 (54.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 12-15 (54.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 76 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Mantyke: 13-16 (59 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Alright so it loses to a +2 110 BP acrobatics but thats it, and this is with a pretty minimal defensive investment. As it stands, a full health gligar will always lose to mantyke as Hydro pump and ice beam are both easy ohkos. Not the greatest counter ever but it gets the job done.

hey I wonder, does using a focus sash count as using up your item for acrobatics?

EDIT: So gligar with focus sash would be pretty fearsome, though shellder still counters it.

Last edited:
Gonna assume something like--
Turn 1
> Gligar and Magnemite on the field
> Magnemite switches out to Shellder
> Gligar uses Swords Dance
> Turn end.
Just wanted to point out that if shelder doesn't switch in on swords dance, it has a very VERY slim chance (bordering on 1%) to be 2HKO'd, either by 2 EQs, or a knock off and a EQ (knock off + eq is a slightly better chance).

236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Shellder: 7-10 (35 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
(7, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 10)

236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Eviolite Shellder: 5-7 (25 - 35%)
(5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 7)
+
236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 36 HP / 36 Def Shellder: 12-15 (60 - 75%)
(12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15)

So ya... I mean thems some really damn low percentage chances, but any fool can dream :P

hey I wonder, does using a focus sash count as using up your item for acrobatics?
yes

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Air Slash

So turn 1, Gligar Swords Dances and Vullaby switches in. Gligar uses Acrobatics and Vullaby uses Knock Off. Gligar's attack activates Weak Armour. Next turn Vullaby outspeeds and KOes with Hidden Power [Ice]. This works everytime. Even if Gligar attacks on the switch. Vullaby would be at -1 def and +1 Spe. Vullaby outspeeds and Knocks Off Berry Juice. Gligar uses Acro again. Vullaby then kills with Hidden Power [Ice]

+2 236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 7-10 (28 - 40%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Vullaby Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 7-10 (30.4 - 43.4%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO
0 SpA Vullaby Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 20-24 (86.9 - 104.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 4-6 (16 - 24%) -- possible 5HKO
236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. -1 116 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Vullaby: 12-15 (48 - 60%) -- 90.2% chance to 2HKO
Other moves could be used btw over Air Slash btw. If HP Ice is not your cup of tea, Foul is a great alternative as it works just like HP Ice
+2 0 Atk Vullaby Foul Play vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Gligar: 21-25 (91.3 - 108.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO (When Gligar's at +2)

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Wooper @ Eviolite
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 236 HP / 236 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Toxic
- Recover

Wooper is so great with unaware, it gives 0 shits about set-up sweepers and Gligar is no exception. It's also the cutest mon in the tier.

236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 236 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Wooper: 9-12 (36 - 48%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
(9, 9, 9, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10, 12)

It can easily switch and recover off the 40% damage that Gligar does and just take it out with Waterfall, which is a 2HKO, 3HKO factoring in Berry Juice.

Reactions: KS2

apt-get

it's not over 'til it's over
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Weak Armor
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 116 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Air Slash

So turn 1, Gligar Swords Dances and Vullaby switches in. Gligar uses Acrobatics and Vullaby uses Knock Off. Gligar's attack activates Weak Armour. Next turn Vullaby outspeeds and KOes with Hidden Power [Ice]. This works everytime. Even if Gligar attacks on the switch. Vullaby would be at -1 def and +1 Spe. Vullaby outspeeds and Knocks Off Berry Juice. Gligar uses Acro again. Vullaby then kills with Hidden Power [Ice]

Other moves could be used btw over Air Slash btw. If HP Ice is not your cup of tea, Foul is a great alternative as it works just like HP Ice
except gligar can just SD twice, and then you knock off it and it KOes you with acrobatics, so it's not really a good check.

Slowpoke @ Eviolite
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SAtk
Bold Nature
-Ice Beam
-
Slack Off
-Thunder Wave
-Scald

+2 236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 20-24 (71.4 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
76 SpA Slowpoke Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 24-32 (104.3 - 139.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

If Gligar SD's on the switch, it can't OHKO Slowpoke w/ any move even after SR and is OHKOed in return by Ice Beam.

If Gligar uses Knock Off on the switch, a max damage roll is needed with both EQ and Knock Off to secure the KO, which has a 1/256 chance of occurring.

236 Atk Gligar Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Eviolite Slowpoke: 10-14 (35.7 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO
(10, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 14)

236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 196 HP / 236+ Def Slowpoke: 12-15 (42.8 - 53.5%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO
(12, 12, 12, 12, 12, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 13, 15)

Ice Beam is all that's needed to beat Gligar. So yea, gg no re Gligar. Ice Beam Slowpoke's coming for you.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
There's nothing the tier's most broken Pokemon can't handle!

Tangela @ Eviolite
76 HP / 196 SpA / 36 SpDef / 196 Spe
Modest nature
Trait: Regenerator
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power Ice
- Sleep Powder
- AncientPower

236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (55 BP) vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 8-12 (33.3 - 50%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 76 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Tangela: 14-20 (58.3 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

196+ SpA Tangela Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Gligar: 28-36 (121.7 - 156.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So yeah, Tangela is so bulky that it can easily tank Gligar's Acrobatics, even with Stealth Rock up. It can switch into anything easily and still beat Gligar no matter what. Even with Stealth Rock up, Tangela can switch into 55 BP Acrobatics, take two hits, and then OHKO with Hidden Power Ice. Tangela can also come in on Swords Dance, tank a +2 55 BP Acrobatics, and then also OHKO with Hidden Power Ice. It can switch in on Knock Off and then still take a 55 BP Acrobatics 99.6% of the time, even if Stealth Rock is up. There is no way Gligar is going to 2HKO Tangela, and as long as you OHKO cleanly without activating Berry Juice, Tangela has absolutely nothing to fear.

Then it can just switch out like a badass and regenerate 30% of its health, basically coming out relatively fine.

Porygon @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 196 Def / 76 SDef / 236 HP
Bold Nature
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room / Thunder Wave
- Recover

Pretty straightforward. Come in as Gligar sets up and then KO with Ice Beam. Some calcs:

236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 9-12 (34.6 - 46.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 16-19 (61.5 - 73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 16-21 (61.5 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+4 236 Atk Gligar Earthquake vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 24-28 (92.3 - 107.6%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
+4 236 Atk Gligar Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 236 HP / 196 Def Eviolite Porygon: 25-30 (96.1 - 115.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO

Basically, it'll definitely survive as long as you switch it in right away, and even if you let Gligar get to +4 first, it has a pretty good chance of surviving as long as you haven't activated Berry Juice. Ice Beam KO's easily.

Download isn't strictly necessary, but it makes Ice Beam a KO even if Gligar is using Eviolite and allows you to use Tri Attack to KO if Gligar is at 65% or less. Trick Room and Thunder Wave are useful if you expect Gligar to switch out. Thunder Wave is risky since it does nothing to Gligar, so I think Trick Room is the better option.

Reactions: DTC
*goes back in time and submits Sneasel*
For real though.
Froakie @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
Evs: on phone so can't find what they would be, probably 236 Special Attack And Speed, the rest in Attack
Timid Nature
Ice Beam
Surf
U-turn
Hidden Power Fire
Scarf Froakie in the house! Surf and Ice beam both OHKO an Evioliteless Gligar, and this set is also a great revenge killer in itself. Considering most Gligar players always Swords Dance first thing, you can expect Froakie to get in safe usually.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)