Lanturn [QC 1/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Remove all that speed oml you really don't need it, Blastoise always runs more than enough speed to outspeed u anyway, and it takes away from the bulk you have. Perhaps you should consider a spread like this: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD. 52 Hp evs hit a lefties number and with this mixed bulk, you can take on stuff like mega aerodactyl somewhat better.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Remove all that speed oml you really don't need it, Blastoise always runs more than enough speed to outspeed u anyway, and it takes away from the bulk you have. Perhaps you should consider a spread like this: 52 HP / 252 Def / 204 SpD. 52 Hp evs hit a lefties number and with this mixed bulk, you can take on stuff like mega aerodactyl somewhat better.
Implementing now

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ok Changes made. I also did a little modification to the first set, renaming it Cleric and changing the slashing of the third and fourth moveslots a little. I did this due to the new EV spread.

Martin

Getting this back on the front page. I need comments on what I have so far!!!

Martin

Ok. I want more opinions on this.
(that and I want to get this out of the depths of page 2)

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
your overview puts lantern in far too good of a light. It's really not that good of a pokemon, and it's certainly not a premier cleric in UU. Focus on what makes it a niche over other similar pokemon (typing, what volt absorb allows it to do...) lanturn actually really is a slouch offensively, and saying that it isn't without providing any evidence to the contrary isn't convincing at all. Remove that sentence entirely.

in the pros, don't call things "decent" when they're actually the onlly reason to even use the pokemon lol. the boltbeam combo is nigh irrelevant, so remove mention of that. Bulky flygon is not a thing, remove.
Quagsire is OU, remove. Gastrodon isn't relevant, and Swampert isn't a "check to water and electric type moves", whatever the hell that means anyway. IF you really want to compare it to other pokemon who are good switchins to water- and electric-type attacks, try stuff like Roserade, Shaymin, Rotom-Mow, Mega-Ampharos...

your cons are contradictory to your original overview (more reason to delete that second sentence), and are fairly self-explanatory and don't really contribute anything. Try and figure out why Lanturn isn't that good in the metagame, and work from there. although typing / stat information is useful, the analysis should be helpful enough not to only cater to people who don't know their type chart.

echoing what flcl said for the moveset - you need toxic over ice beam. lanturn is so pitifully weak that for 99% of things that are even weak to ice beam, you'd be better off volt switching or scalding anyway. the only obvious exception is flyon, which is really barely even relevant in hax meta and certainly doesn't deserve an entire move slot. Make Toxic the only slash, and switch Ice Beam to OO.

remove mentions of moves that aren't in the set in the moves section. if they're OO moves, the explanation belongs only in OO. Also, Toxic doesn't "get in the way of scald's burn chance", if anything, Scald burns get in the way of toxicing something. it really is never a good idea to sit in against a physical attacker and fish for a burn, which is what this ^ implies.

for the set details, you're not running 58 HP, you're running 52 HP. Defensive investment isn't just for mega aerodactyl. volt absorb is not reliable healing

your usage tips are generic, occasionally don't make sense (e.g. only come in on special hits, but don't come in on earthquake), and don't really offer much. if your usage types could be applied to basically every other pokemon, that's a problem. also, don't apply blanket statements like "don't switch in on any physical hits!!" when they really aren't good advice. It makes perfect sense to switch in on a waterfall from Qwilfish or Alomo (if anyone still runs waterfall alomo lol).

team options: most of your examples of good team partners highlight pokemon that are honestly rather ass in UU. focus on more viable pokemon that lanturn works well with - encouraging people to run registeel, moltres, and bronzong is not a good thing, as these are nichemons at best. focus on what type of team lanturn fits best into. you mention that bulky attackers and offensive attackers are good (btw blastoise is a bulky attacker) but you don't mention why they work well with lanturn at all. as before, quagsire is in OU and shouldn't be mentioned.

again with the moves on rest talk - only mention moves that are actually in the set, not OO moves. rest talk isn't just a form of recovery, and scald isn't just for the burn chance.

set details: see above

your usage tips are once again unhelpful, nebulous, and generic. implying that the lanturn user somehow has the ability to not be forced out is strange. focus on what you can switch in to, what you can set up on, what you should refrain from setting up against...

your team options are literally a c/p of the team options on your other set,,,,,, and these two sets are entirely different. this just feels lazy, and feels like you really don't understand the difference between the two sets or their niches.

your OO need to be more selective. other options is for options that are usable, but not as viable. soak, swallow/stockpile, and TR attacker are just plain gutter trash and do not deserve to be mentioned

C&C needs to be far more fleshed out. as before, quaggy is ou. also, it's not just bulky grass types that counter lanturn.

I'm sorry if this (not official qc) check seems really harsh, but there really is so much wrong with this analysis, which is probably why you haven't been successful in getting more QC checks. I really see no evidence that you understand the metagame and Lanturn's role in it. The fact that you made an entire analysis about lanturn without ever mentioning its single most valuable niche of being a bulky pivot on Volt Switch teams is fairly telling. Anyone can read a type chart, or a list of natures and what they do, or look at a pokemon's stats. Your analysis needs to have far more focus on why you'd use specifically Lantern over other things in UU, and what niches it has that enable it to be usable in UU. It's possible that you really have used and understand Lanturn, but i'm not getting it from this analysis. sorry

Martin

your overview puts lantern in far too good of a light. It's really not that good of a pokemon, and it's certainly not a premier cleric in UU. Focus on what makes it a niche over other similar pokemon (typing, what volt absorb allows it to do...) lanturn actually really is a slouch offensively, and saying that it isn't without providing any evidence to the contrary isn't convincing at all. Remove that sentence entirely.

in the pros, don't call things "decent" when they're actually the onlly reason to even use the pokemon lol. the boltbeam combo is nigh irrelevant, so remove mention of that. Bulky flygon is not a thing, remove.
Quagsire is OU, remove. Gastrodon isn't relevant, and Swampert isn't a "check to water and electric type moves", whatever the hell that means anyway. IF you really want to compare it to other pokemon who are good switchins to water- and electric-type attacks, try stuff like Roserade, Shaymin, Rotom-Mow, Mega-Ampharos...

your cons are contradictory to your original overview (more reason to delete that second sentence), and are fairly self-explanatory and don't really contribute anything. Try and figure out why Lanturn isn't that good in the metagame, and work from there. although typing / stat information is useful, the analysis should be helpful enough not to only cater to people who don't know their type chart.

echoing what flcl said for the moveset - you need toxic over ice beam. lanturn is so pitifully weak that for 99% of things that are even weak to ice beam, you'd be better off volt switching or scalding anyway. the only obvious exception is flyon, which is really barely even relevant in hax meta and certainly doesn't deserve an entire move slot. Make Toxic the only slash, and switch Ice Beam to OO.

remove mentions of moves that aren't in the set in the moves section. if they're OO moves, the explanation belongs only in OO. Also, Toxic doesn't "get in the way of scald's burn chance", if anything, Scald burns get in the way of toxicing something. it really is never a good idea to sit in against a physical attacker and fish for a burn, which is what this ^ implies.

for the set details, you're not running 58 HP, you're running 52 HP. Defensive investment isn't just for mega aerodactyl. volt absorb is not reliable healing

your usage tips are generic, occasionally don't make sense (e.g. only come in on special hits, but don't come in on earthquake), and don't really offer much. if your usage types could be applied to basically every other pokemon, that's a problem. also, don't apply blanket statements like "don't switch in on any physical hits!!" when they really aren't good advice. It makes perfect sense to switch in on a waterfall from Qwilfish or Alomo (if anyone still runs waterfall alomo lol).

team options: most of your examples of good team partners highlight pokemon that are honestly rather ass in UU. focus on more viable pokemon that lanturn works well with - encouraging people to run registeel, moltres, and bronzong is not a good thing, as these are nichemons at best. focus on what type of team lanturn fits best into. you mention that bulky attackers and offensive attackers are good (btw blastoise is a bulky attacker) but you don't mention why they work well with lanturn at all. as before, quagsire is in OU and shouldn't be mentioned.

again with the moves on rest talk - only mention moves that are actually in the set, not OO moves. rest talk isn't just a form of recovery, and scald isn't just for the burn chance.

set details: see above

your usage tips are once again unhelpful, nebulous, and generic. implying that the lanturn user somehow has the ability to not be forced out is strange. focus on what you can switch in to, what you can set up on, what you should refrain from setting up against...

your team options are literally a c/p of the team options on your other set,,,,,, and these two sets are entirely different. this just feels lazy, and feels like you really don't understand the difference between the two sets or their niches.

your OO need to be more selective. other options is for options that are usable, but not as viable. soak, swallow/stockpile, and TR attacker are just plain gutter trash and do not deserve to be mentioned

C&C needs to be far more fleshed out. as before, quaggy is ou. also, it's not just bulky grass types that counter lanturn.

I'm sorry if this (not official qc) check seems really harsh, but there really is so much wrong with this analysis, which is probably why you haven't been successful in getting more QC checks. I really see no evidence that you understand the metagame and Lanturn's role in it. The fact that you made an entire analysis about lanturn without ever mentioning its single most valuable niche of being a bulky pivot on Volt Switch teams is fairly telling. Anyone can read a type chart, or a list of natures and what they do, or look at a pokemon's stats. Your analysis needs to have far more focus on why you'd use specifically Lantern over other things in UU, and what niches it has that enable it to be usable in UU. It's possible that you really have used and understand Lanturn, but i'm not getting it from this analysis. sorry
I'll read through this more thoroughly when I get home from my holiday. I have played a little more of the meta sinse I last asked for opinions and I am understanding it a little more now, and at a glance this is a lot of what I have started to notice. I am going to rake through this in a week or so, and I thank you for spending time looking over this. You weren't being more harsh than was required, and I thank you for that too.

Reactions: KM
I've used Lanturn extensively on one of my OU teams (before Aegislash got banned). I don't play much UU, but I might be able to offer some insight.

Lanturn's to main draws for me were:
1. It is capable of functioning as a cleric while also not sacrificing momentum like other special walls and bulky waters. This is because of it's rare combination of Heal Bell and Volt Switch.
2. It completely shuts down most electric types. With Volt Absorb and Fire, Water, and Ice resistances, it can be really annoying for other players, and has fantastic synergy with flying types.
But any special wall can usually do that. This really supplements draw 1.

Again I used this in OU, so I don't know how well 76 Sp. Atk flies in UU, but I don't think Ice Beam should be slashed into the first set. It should be Toxic or T-Wave. You could say they get in the way of the burn chance, but T-Wave is really great for fast Special attackers, who you shouldn't be trying to burn anyway. Lanturn's job is not one of an attacker or a staller. It's job is to get in, do what it needs to, and quickly get out. So statuses are your friends, and regular attacks are not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)