5th Gen PRNG Help / Info - Latest: RNG Reporter 9.96.5, PPRNG 1.15.0

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Tried again - still no :( This time I tried with a drifloon. Both times I got "average" stats. I forget the natures I got, sorry >.<;;; EDIT: It was Rash, but I also got a Jolly, so I IV checked the Jolly one, and it only had 1 31 IV.

I didn't put in any gender ratio information in the RNG Reporter (aside from that it has a gender) - shouldn't I then get the same results with a 50/50 ratio as with a 87.5/12.5 ratio?

I advanced 6 times the last try - would that have affected the outcome?
You should get the same IVs/nature with the different gender ratios, but the gender itself may be different.

Changing the number of advances does change the outcome. So if you want a Jolly 5IV Pokemon with this seed, you have to do 4 advances. A different number would result in different IVs and natures.

edit: the Pokemon also has to be in the first slot for this seed.

Last edited:
You should get the same IVs/nature with the different gender ratios, but the gender itself may be different.

Changing the number of advances does change the outcome. So if you want a Jolly 5IV Pokemon with this seed, you have to do 4 advances. A different number would result in different IVs and natures.

OH!!!!! XD Let me try again then :D

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
YES!!! It worked! :D

I had thought the number of advancements didn't matter XD

YAY! Again, THANK YOU :D :D :D
You're welcome ^_^

Essentially, the frame determines what you get. When you do the advancements, you are advancing the frame...meaning you are changing info of the Pokemon you will receive. The seed basically just determines what frames you have available to you. So even if you get the right seed, if you do the wrong number of advancements, you'll land on the wrong frame and won't get your desired Pokemon.

You're welcome ^_^

Essentially, the frame determines what you get. When you do the advancements, you are advancing the frame...meaning you are changing info of the Pokemon you will receive. The seed basically just determines what frames you have available to you. So even if you get the right seed, if you do the wrong number of advancements, you'll land on the wrong frame and won't get your desired Pokemon.
OMG PokemonSlots is your site?? :O

I just successfully RNG'd a jolly Tornadus and a timid, hp:ice Thunderous with help from those calcs!! :D

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Does anyone know if one can reorder the regular pokes in the slots or, in the alternative, rng pokes in slots 4 through 6?
The Pokemon cannot be reordered, but you can swap out one of the six for a new Pokemon you catch. Slots 4-6 are RNG'd in the same way as the others, but require you to look for higher frames to account for the frame advancements the additional Pokemon cause. For example, each Pokemon causes the IV frame to be advanced by 13, so a slot 6 Pokemon can't have an IV frame lower than 73. Using an IV frame of 73 assumes no checks to verify your seed...which is a bad idea.

The calculators have catches built in, so if your frame is too low to be possible, it will let you know.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
How do I search for seeds for entralink mons in B/W2? Do I select standard seed and pick stationary?
I do not have PPRNG.
Yup, standard seed, stationary encounter (starting IV frame of 25). The basics of the PPRNG guide apply, so it's still usable for the procedure (although I don't think the first 3 frames skipped thing applies).

Hi, I've been unsuccessful at RNG abusing after several attempts over the course of several months and I have no clue what's going wrong.I'm using version 9.96.6 Alpha. No matter what I've tried, I can't hit my seeds. Here's what I did on my most recent attempt. I'm using White 2 on a DS Lite.
Profile Info.png

1. Did RNG calibration using Unova Link method. Because I used a camera to record the arrow spins I can confirm that this isn't the issue. Took me three times to get this due mostly to human error.
Attempt 3.png

2. Tried to abuse using that information for a perfect Ditto using a spread I found in Time Finder. I can't recall all of the exact details as this was last month, but I would start the game at the right time and then I would perform the amount of Chatot flips I needed via counting them out. This failed, decided to try for the Volcarona in the Relic Castle.
3. Made several attempts to abuse for the Volcarona using both Time Finder seeds and ones in the default search function. Since to my knowledge the initial frame a game starts on is one and that was the amount of frames required in the box, I tried a few times by clicking 'rona, and some times I did one Chatter. I did this quite a few times and never got it. Interestingly, in a lot of the attempts I was getting Volcarona with at least one perfect IV, but I've yet to get one with the full 31/0/31/31/31/31 that I've been looking for. If it helps I can provide a screenshot of at least one of the spreads I used.

I'm absolutely baffled as to what I'm doing wrong here. One thing that I've wondered is that my DS itself is broken and years ago the L button got glued down by accident during the efforts to fix it. To my knowledge, the button is defunct, as I've never really had any incidents during play that suggested the game thought it was being pressed, but maybe it's counting as a button press? Aside from that I have no clue what's going on. As I would really like to be able to RNG abuse in both BW/BW2 and the fourth gen games but have had no luck, I would really appreciate it if someone would help me get to the bottom of this. Also, as a side note, where would I be able to ask for help with the fourth gen games for RNG reporter?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
The parameters in the Unova Link (UL) Calibration window seem plausible, so that's a good start. The problem is that your Timer0 frequently fluctuates, so you need to go through the process of using the UL tool several times to find your most common Timer0. I wouldn't try to hit any seeds or do anything else before you have done this. Once you find your parameters, enter them into your profile (your current one has too broad of a Timer0 range, and the VFrame doesn't match what you got in the UL tool).

You probably aren't hitting your seed because of the Timer0 changing on you (as well as not searching with the correct information for the Vframe). There is no way to control it; that's why you have to find your most common one and find seeds that use it.

The IVRNG starts on frame 1 for wild/stationary Pokemon. The PIDRNG (the one you change by using chatot) initial frame varies with the seed, usually being around 40-60. You find out the actual number by pasting your seed into the main window and pressing the "calculate initial PIDRNG frame" button.

I'm really not sure how the game would respond if L was constantly held down. As for checking, I guess you could run searches assuming the button is pressed and is not, then comparing the results. Whichever ones seem more plausible (or gives you the results you are getting) would determine whether its working. Your results seem about right in the UL tool, so it seems like it might be broken/not registering. Plus running a search assuming the button is pressed does not return any results, supporting that theory.

If you have access to BW, I'd recommend starting in that rather than W2. There's much less Timer0 trolling, so it would help you get a better grasp of what's going on...as well as being considerably less annoying. All 3rd or 4th gen RNG questions should be directed to the Most Gen Help Thread :)

I need some help with pprng entralink. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong or how to go about. It mostly concerns zomg timer calibration, kinda stuck on it.

C-gear seed: f1e99c43
2015/5/28 1:49:52
Frame 21

Actual delay 13200
Subtracted 296 for 12904
Subtracted 5 secs for target second 47
I put those numbers in zomgtimer

It says I'm off 4 minutes but shouldn't it be 3 minutes? I'm kinda confused. Tried using the guide but I'm not sure what I'm doing. First time doing entralink pprng.

Mac 00-16-56-e8-68-a4
Pokemon black tid 43625
C7b 60 6
C7c 60 6
Ds lite

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
The delay increases by ~60 per second. So for a delay of 12904, that requires about 215 seconds, or ~3.6 minutes. Add in the time you have to wait for setting your DS time to make sure everything lines up, and you have 4 minutes before your target. If you had 3 minutes before your target, then you would still have those 0.6 minutes left over.

When the first timer ends, either boot the game from the DS menu or SR. When the second timer ends, push A at the "[you] warped to the Entralink" screen. Since you're aiming for frame 21, you can just interact the Pokemon and check it's IVs to see what delay you got. If it's wrong, then you can update the timer and repeat.

Would it be a problem if the Pokemon is way in the deep parts of the forest? How would I go about moving it to the first parts of the forest? Or does it not matter? There are no wnpcs around and it is just one Pokemon. Do I also need to do chatot pitches for the standard seed first?

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Would it be a problem if the Pokemon is way in the deep parts of the forest? How would I go about moving it to the first parts of the forest? Or does it not matter? There are no wnpcs around and it is just one Pokemon. Do I also need to do chatot pitches for the standard seed first?
It shouldn't matter, but the extra steps you take to get there might trip the 128-step counter. You move them back there by saying no to catch them, so maybe there's a similar mechanic to move them back? My memory is a bit rusty (and it doesn't help that I'm really tired haha). Anyway, if you can't move it, then it's not a problem. If you happen to trip the step counter, then just run around some then resave. Then go through the RNG process.

The Chatots are just used to determine if you hit your seed, or missed it because of wrong seconds or got the wrong Timer0. It's certainly helpful since it provides you with more info, but it doesn't make-or-break the process. I'd recommend it though.

edit: if you meant do I do the Chatots before doing anything else (i.e. warping to the entralink), then yes.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. So if the standard seed requires 41 chatot chatters to move the frame, I do that so I can hit the standard seed frame right? Then I can just wait for the timer beep? Do I have enough time to do the chatot pitches you think? And when do I do the chattot chatters, is it after the 1st beep, waiting for the 2nd beep? I'm sorry for asking too many questions, i know you're tired but thank you so much!

Last edited:

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it. So if the standard seed requires 41 chatot chatters to move the frame, I do that so I can hit the standard seed frame right? Then I can just wait for the timer beep? Do I have enough time to do the chatot pitches you think?
No problem :)

The problem is that having the C-gear on advances the PIDRNG (the one you advance with Chatots) by 1 frame in a little over 1 second. So you'll probably have to do fewer than 41. How many fewer will be determined by trail and error. The guide actually has you use a second external timer so you can keep track of the nature. Rather than use Chatots, they just have you wait a different amount of time before interacting with the Pokemon. I think you'd have enough time though, especially since you won't need to do 41 chatters.

Oh so that's the 2nd beep that I'm waiting for zomgtimer then? I didn't know that lol. Entralink pprng is so complicated than wondercard and stationary pprng. Thanks for your help. If I have any more questions I'll be back lol!

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Oh so that's the 2nd beep that I'm waiting for zomgtimer then? I didn't know that lol. Entralink pprng is so complicated than wondercard and stationary pprng. Thanks for your help. If I have any more questions I'll be back lol!
There are 3 countdowns. 2 are from the Zomgtimer, and the third is from a separate timer. When the first timer on Zomg ends, you boot the game or SR. When the second timer on Zomg ends, you push A at the "Warped to Entralink!" screen. When the third one ends (the other external timer for the nature), you interact with the Pokemon. It's definitely more complicated haha.

You're welcome! Good luck ^_^

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Wait, where do I get the external timer?
I'm not familiar with Zomgtimer, but you might be able to just use a second instance of that for your external timer. Try looking in the other modes to see if there is one where you can just enter your target seconds. If there is, then you can enter in the time you have to wait for your nature.

If there's not, then see if there is a 3rd gen/emerald mode (there should just be a field to enter your target frame...and possibly a "time before reset" field or something similar. Just set that field to 0 if present). To use it in this mode, take the time you have to wait for your nature and convert it to seconds. Then multiply it by 60, and that's your target "frame." That should create a timer close enough to what you need. If you want to change the timer in this case by 1 second, remember you change the frame by 60. Bit of a workaround, but it should work.

edit: Your frame has to be a whole number, so you might have to round. Or you know, you could just try to find another timer haha

Hi shiny finder, thank you so much for your help with the Timer0. :D I was able to get my first RNG abused pokemon on my White copy a few days ago. Thankfully you were right, it wasn't my L button and after I got my Timer0 ranges I've been hitting my seeds consistently.
One other question though. Because my main goal for RNGing right now is to RNG a pair of flawless Dittos and a Metang from the Giant Chasm, I've been repeatedly hitting my seed there. The Smogon guide states that I can change what pokemon and what nature I get by saving at least once. So far, I've been able to nag a flawless Piloswine, Clefairy, and Solrock by hitting my seed, but those are all I've been to get even after saving multiple times. I've been using the DS Parameter Find tool to confirm that I've been hitting my seed and Timer0 or otherwise the other seed and Timer0 option in my range. Still, I keep repeatedly getting the same pokemon, Piloswine, Clefairy, and Solrock even though my seed is supposed to be for any encounter slot.
To try and remedy this I looked into trying to PIDRNG so I can catch something from the exact encounter slot I need, but I haven't had much luck with that either. I got up to the point on the Smogon guide where I'm supposed to do this:

"The first time you hit your seed, take note of the nature you hit. Go back to RNG Reporter's frame output search and look for that nature.
  • Depending on your initial PIDRNG Frame, it should be the first one, depending if any NPCs advanced the frame.
  • This frame is now your Shifted Starting Frame (SSF), and should now be considered your initial frame."
I have successfully caught a pokemon that I confirmed shares the seed with my target. But the guide is kind of vague as to where the "Frame Output search" is. I guessed it was the first page item of the RNG Reporter, which I tried to look for said nature on, but it doesn't seem to match the "first one" PID wise. Would you just be able to clarify what this "Frame Output Search" is for me or otherwise tell me how to change what pokemon I'm encountering with this seed? I did try and look for another one but unfortunately this has been the only flawless seed I've been able to track down after searching through all months for several up to somewhere close to 2030.

shiny finder

forever searching
Chatot Wrangler
Hey! That's great news; glad I was able to help and you got your first RNG ^_^ Congrats!

Which Pokemon you get is determined by the encounter slots, and the encounter slot varies with the frame. So, in the main window of the RNG Reporter (the one that comes up as soon as you open it), select "Gen 5 PIDRNG" as the Method, "Wild Pokemon" as the encounter type, and select your synch nature if applicable (otherwise leave it set to none). The paste in your seed, click the "Calculate Initial PIDRNG Frame" button and then generate. I'd imagine this is the "frame output search" the guide refers to. See how the Encounter Slot changes with the frame? That means that you have to advance the frame to a certain one to get the Pokemon you want.

Since there aren't any NPCs in Giant Chasm in White (which I'm assuming is the game you're still using), you'll be starting on the frame the Reporter tells you after clicking the calculate initial frame button (i.e. the first frame generated in the results). Odds are, your target frame is not your starting frame here since you are hitting the right seed but getting the wrong Pokemon. That means you have to advance the frame [target frame] - [initial frame] times then sweet scent. So lets say frame 60 has the encounter slot you want, but you're starting on frame 50. That means you have to advance the frame 60-50 = 10 times. Any different number might cause you to get the wrong Pokemon.

The best way to advance the frame is by viewing Chatot's summary when it has a custom-recorded Chatter or saving. The former is highly recommended, but saving works here since there aren't NPCs to mess with your frame. Both methods advances the frame by one.

So you you just need to advance the frame a few more times, and you'll get your Pokemon ^_^

.com

Grumpy old man
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
"The first time you hit your seed, take note of the nature you hit. Go back to RNG Reporter's frame output search and look for that nature.
  • Depending on your initial PIDRNG Frame, it should be the first one, depending if any NPCs advanced the frame.
  • This frame is now your Shifted Starting Frame (SSF), and should now be considered your initial frame."
I have successfully caught a pokemon that I confirmed shares the seed with my target. But the guide is kind of vague as to where the "Frame Output search" is. I guessed it was the first page item of the RNG Reporter, which I tried to look for said nature on, but it doesn't seem to match the "first one" PID wise. Would you just be able to clarify what this "Frame Output Search" is for me or otherwise tell me how to change what pokemon I'm encountering with this seed? I did try and look for another one but unfortunately this has been the only flawless seed I've been able to track down after searching through all months for several up to somewhere close to 2030.
There are no NPCs in the Giant Chasm (IIRC) so the part about shifted-starting-frame shouldn't be an issue.

On the right hand side of the most recent version of RNG Reporter, there should be a "Calculate initial PIDRNG Frame" button. Click that before generating, and you should find that the Frames start at somewhere between (say) 30 and 60. This is your starting frame.

To get consistent results, it's a good idea to have a sweet scenter in your team, so that you don't have to move to encounter your Pokémon (taking steps advances your frame). You can get rid of the fog (just google remove weather pokemon white or similar) so sweet scenting shouldn't be an issue. You can advance the frame by saving; but having 2 Chatots with custom chatters recorded (I think recording it on one of them automatically assigns it to both) allows you to advance the frame in significantly less time (the time it takes to flick between Chatot summary screens, vs. the amount of time it takes to save.

Wow... Well I feel redundant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)