The Everything some hero (NFL) Thread - 2015-16 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
without Gronk's numerous injuries he might have already been unanimously considered the best tight end ever

the NFL's not as fun without him :C
lol without Brady he won't be this great. Sure he'll be a gr8 TE but he won't be playing at this level unless the pats next qb is a good 1 and Tony G is the goat TE

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Funny all this time I thought Yeti was a Rams fan
nah born/raised in a Seattle suburb. Seahawk 4 life. the ram itself may be a fitting comparison due to the hard-headed stubbornness, but, i do not root for this team.

I am excited for the Rams to move back to Los Angeles, though, so I can hit up that tasty Seahawks game for a lot cheaper than their home games are.

lol without Brady he won't be this great. Sure he'll be a gr8 TE but he won't be playing at this level unless the pats next qb is a good 1 and Tony G is the goat TE
c'mon, I'm a Falcons fan too and I love Tony, but saying he's better than Gronkowski has been is pretty ignorant.

Consider that, if Gronkowski plays one more game this regular season, he'll (probably) have 3 1000 seasons in 6 years, and every year that he's played 12+ games since his rookie year. Tony Gonzalez had 4 1000 yard seasons in his entire 17 year career. Gronkowski will (probably) have 5 10+ TD seasons, while Tony had 3 his entire career.

I don't know if you realize how impressive his touchdowns are. He's had 63 in 76 career games, an average of 0.83/game or about 5 every 6 games. I imagine this is the highest ever for a receiver and close to the highest ever for any non-QB (LT was definitely higher, I believe AP is as well). At this pace, he'd reach Jerry Rice's record (196) if his career was as long as Tony's and have another season to pad his lead. Even if he doesn't play that long, it'll only take him 4 complete seasons to pass Tony's record (111) for most by a TE, and 7 to pass Randy Moss for 2nd all time.

Using his career average for yards/game, it'll take Gronk one more game to crack the top-20 in ALL TIME receiving yards by a Tight End, one more season to crack the top 10, and two more after that to crack the top 5.

Even given that the GOAT is throwing to him, Gronkowski's stats are impossible to ignore. He is pretty clearly the greatest TE on a per game basis, and even just watching him play I believe most people would come to that conclusion anyway. If you want to go by career longevity, fine, you can say Tony is still the best ever; with the caveat that Gronk will get there eventually, and probably sooner than later.

there's no denying gronk could be the greatest ever, he has everything you could possibly want in a TE. however, a lot can happen between now and 4 seasons (in which you project gronk to beat tony g's record for touchdowns). gronk has already had a lot of injury issues and he's only 26. brady is 38 and will probably not be around for a good portion of the rest of gronk's career, which will definitely alter his production (probably not by a whole lot, but still). but part of what makes tony g so good, and what has made guys like jason witten so good, is that they are extremely durable. gronk has shown so far in his career that he isn't. if gronk can lasts 10-15 seasons, he will certainly be the GOAT and this discussion wouldn't even exist. but we'll have to see if he's able to have that kind of career.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Judging a TE only by his receiving stats is pretty narrow-minded considering how versatile a truly good TE has to be. Depending on the offense the team is running and even down to the individual play call, the TE must also participate in blocking. From what I hear Gronk is actually a good blocker, but I don't have any data on that so I can't draw any conclusions of yet. I just wanted to remind you two that if you're discussing the best TEs of all time you have to see the whole picture.

there's no denying gronk could be the greatest ever, he has everything you could possibly want in a TE. however, a lot can happen between now and 4 seasons (in which you project gronk to beat tony g's record for touchdowns). gronk has already had a lot of injury issues and he's only 26. brady is 38 and will probably not be around for a good portion of the rest of gronk's career, which will definitely alter his production (probably not by a whole lot, but still). but part of what makes tony g so good, and what has made guys like jason witten so good, is that they are extremely durable. gronk has shown so far in his career that he isn't. if gronk can lasts 10-15 seasons, he will certainly be the GOAT and this discussion wouldn't even exist. but we'll have to see if he's able to have that kind of career.
Most injuries are completely random, and involve unfortunate circumstances. Someone getting tackled like Leveon Bell did earlier this year is probably going to tear a knee ligament, regardless of whether they're "injury prone" or not. The only reason that Gronk might continue to get injured is that he's fuckin huge and all the DBacks in the league are going to be diving at his knees until he retires.

Judging a TE only by his receiving stats is pretty narrow-minded considering how versatile a truly good TE has to be. Depending on the offense the team is running and even down to the individual play call, the TE must also participate in blocking. From what I hear Gronk is actually a good blocker, but I don't have any data on that so I can't draw any conclusions of yet. I just wanted to remind you two that if you're discussing the best TEs of all time you have to see the whole picture.
Only reason I didn't bring it up is because Tony, widely considered the GOAT TE by a significant margin, was never considered to be a good run blocker. Gronkowski is somewhere between an above average blocker and a great blocker, while Witten is probably the best blocker out of the three but the worst pass catcher. Still, the Pats are a pass-first offense in a pass-first league, and since Gronk's run blocking is at least comparable to most of history's best TEs I feel it is justifiable to judge him only on his pass catching ability.

leremyju

Banned deucer.

Yea it's a tiny safety but you've never seen Jimmy Graham do shit like this. Gronk has good attitude towards blocking

You talk about all of big Bens weapons as though he's not the main reason they are so productive in the first place. You need look no further than Mike Wallace, santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress to see that Ben makes his receivers look like superstars rather than the other way around. Those guys were studs in Pittsburgh, and the second they went elsewhere to lesser qbs they fell off the face of the earth. To further illustrate my point, look at Emmanuel sanders. He is the only notable Pittsburgh receiver to replicate or improve his production in a new home, and you know why? Because he had Peyton Manning throwing to him. Big Ben is not in the goat conversation like brady and manning, and he's not the best in the game currently like Rodgers, but he is certainly elite and the best of that class of 04. His stats are leaps and bounds better than Eli, and he's better than rivers too (albeit marginally). He's repeatedly shown the ability to carry his team in the past and this season. Even trying to imply he's in any way similar to your Eli is silly.
Uh I was implying they were similar in talent but Eli is definitely better than Big Ben. And really Big Ben isn't even better than Rivers or Brees. Out of those 4 he's easily the worst. Big Ben had ONE good season, with the best wide receiver in the game, a good second wr and the best running back in the game. And even then his stats were marginally better than Elis stats who on the other hand had NO help until like the 6/7th game of that season. Eli Manning, with just a single player stepping up and catching the ball, had a better season than Big Ben in 2014. The only difference is that Big Bens' team won games while the Giants didn't. Eli has been outplaying every quaterback in the league other than the big three since ODB broke out.

Wins affect the way the position is viewed. Rivers, Brees, Big Ben and Eli have been identical the past two seasons and Eli has been the best out of the group.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh I was implying they were similar in talent but Eli is definitely better than Big Ben. And really Big Ben isn't even better than Rivers or Brees. Out of those 4 he's easily the worst. Big Ben had ONE good season, with the best wide receiver in the game, a good second wr and the best running back in the game. And even then his stats were marginally better than Elis stats who on the other hand had NO help until like the 6/7th game of that season. Eli Manning, with just a single player stepping up and catching the ball, had a better season than Big Ben in 2014. The only difference is that Big Bens' team won games while the Giants didn't. Eli has been outplaying every quaterback in the league other than the big three since ODB broke out.

Wins affect the way the position is viewed. Rivers, Brees, Big Ben and Eli have been identical the past two seasons and Eli has been the best out of the group.
Literally every single thing you said is incorrect. I would address it but Christmas is coming and I don't have time.

EDIT: screw it here we go

This is to illustrate some of my points. Until you learn to actually use one of these your point is invalid.

Uh I was implying they were similar in talent but Eli is definitely better than Big Ben.
He's not. Ben has better comp %, YPA, TD:INT ratio, QBR, and YPG than Eli. The only statistic Eli is "better" is total yards, which currently sits at 42,776 to 41,400. Considering Eli has never missed a game and Ben has missed 21, it's safe to say Ben would have more total yards as well if you filled those in.

And really Big Ben isn't even better than Rivers or Brees. Out of those 4 he's easily the worst.
This is probably your only point that is even remotely arguable. I think Ben is better than Rivers and Eli, but I like Brees a lot (always have) and the differences between the top 3 there are close enough to not warrant a full conclusion. I've already shown Ben is better than Eli so you're still wrong.

Big Ben had ONE good season
Assuming you're referring to 2014. Are you saying 2004, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 were bad seasons? If so, please explain how.

with the best wide receiver in the game, a good second wr and the best running back in the game.
Agreed.

Eli Manning, with just a single player stepping up and catching the ball, had a better season than Big Ben in 2014.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

HAHA

HA

ha.

Ben literally was better in every statistical category known to man last year. You're just making shit up now.

Eli has been outplaying every quaterback in the league other than the big three since ODB broke out.
Of course he has. There are no other quaterbacks in the league to outplay. Now, if we're talking quaRterbacks that's a different story

(either way you're still wrong)

Rivers, Brees, Big Ben and Eli have been identical the past two seasons and Eli has been the best out of the group.
B...nevermind, I can't. Until you can show some evidence of this I'm not even going to listen

Last edited:
Glad I Won't have to listen to Coldplay play the greatest hits of 2006 during the superbowl halftime show because i'll be to busy yelling at the Patriots for screwing something up.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Except 80% of the calls in Super Bowl XL that were debated were actually right. It's been 10 years and you're still salty about close calls that didn't go your way. Classic seahawks fan. Oh wait i forgot 90% of them weren't fans until 2013 my bad.
what in the everloving fuck are you talking about

So basically you're saying that because Pittsburgh was on the better end of a couple controversial calls in a super bowl ten years ago, it's ok for them to screwed by them today? Two wrongs don't make a right
Just goofin' on ya man. I'm pretty sure if you had to choose between getting screwed on any regular season Sunday as opposed to a Super Sunday, you'd take the latter. I fully expect your team to make the playoffs, so don't worry.

Aaron Rodgers has to be injured, or drunk, or being blackmailed into playing bad. You don't just go from being the best QB in the NFL to being outplayed by Matt Stafford in the middle of the season for no reason.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
moving from the Seattle bandwagon to Detroit?

also notice how yeti didnt post at all in the thread til the seahawks were in the wild card spot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)