SPOILERS! Pokemon Sun and Moon Demo Discussion

We can't really say much about egg hatching in Sun and Moon when the whole thing it mostly depended on (tile-based movement) was completely removed.

We can't really say much about egg hatching in Sun and Moon when the whole thing it mostly depended on (tile-based movement) was completely removed.
Huh? The player character still has 'steps.' In past generations, each dimension of the tiles were the same distance as each step, but there's no reason to believe the steps themselves will be any different. The same can be said for any of the new movement options i.e. Tauros, which will probably just track total distance covered and divide that by the distance per step to find total steps. Not a big change.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hm, well if it doesn't count steps maybe it can just count seconds of movement (that way the trainer pirouetting will also count). However I think steps do exist, you see characters walking so they could consider one cycle of movement as a step. Remember, no matter how smooth the animation is, you can break it down into frames and all they would need to do is assingn a certain number of frames counting as one step.

I guess they will change the distance from "tiles" to "pixels", same for stuff like repels.

I suppose for human translations, they will tell repels to last X steps, where the step they're measuring is a regular-walking step, and when changing to other measures it uses the equivalent distance.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I guess they will change the distance from "tiles" to "pixels", same for stuff like repels.

I suppose for human translations, they will tell repels to last X steps, where the step they're measuring is a regular-walking step, and when changing to other measures it uses the equivalent distance.
Or they can do what I suggested above. A "step" is a certain amount of frames of animation in which a model visually takes a step (lifting up the leg, placing it forward, and putting it down = 1 step). This amount of frames will be consistent with the PokeRides as well, so the PokeRides which swim will still count.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Or they can do what I suggested above. A "step" is a certain amount of frames of animation in which a model visually takes a step (lifting up the leg, placing it forward, and putting it down = 1 step). This amount of frames will be consistent with the PokeRides as well, so the PokeRides which swim will still count.
Or, you know, you could do what every other 3D game does and just track your position over each rendered frame and use basic trigonometry to figure out your distance travelled.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Or, you know, you could do what every other 3D game does and just track your position over each rendered frame and use basic trigonometry to figure out your distance travelled.
That too.

Eitherway what I think we're saying is that, at least visually and how the player interacts with the game, the mechanics which involve "steps" really won't change. Will in the background coding, but unless you're involved with that you don't really need to worry about it.

I hope they add in a way to hatch eggs by actually walking.
Not the primary way to hatch eggs, of course, but it would be cool to be able to hatch eggs as I ride my bike to and from work.

I get in about 2,000 steps a day on my 3DS pedometer from that alone, so if that could translate to hatching eggs that'd be pretty cool.

well, the more steps, the higher the O-power regenerates, so you can keep up a lv3 Hatching O-power constantly while opening eggs.

they could do something like the pokewalker for that, but so far all that happens on the main games happens while playing, except stuff that only requires time (daily events, berries, etc)

I hope they add in a way to hatch eggs by actually walking.
Not the primary way to hatch eggs, of course, but it would be cool to be able to hatch eggs as I ride my bike to and from work.

I get in about 2,000 steps a day on my 3DS pedometer from that alone, so if that could translate to hatching eggs that'd be pretty cool.
That would not be a bad idea. Perhaps making hatching similar to how it's done on GO?

That would not be a bad idea. Perhaps making hatching similar to how it's done on GO?
Perhaps, but maybe it'd be a little different.
I know the 3DS also functions as a pedometer, but I am pretty sure in Pokémon GO they use GPS signals instead.

I don't think it would be exploited much if it was based on steps, unlike the Pedometer that came with HG/SS.
Especially since it (hopefully)wouldn't replace the current in-game method, just supplement it.

I know one exploit people like to do with pedometers is tie them to a fan or something silly, but that would be pointless if you could just do it in game still. Why tie it to a fan when you could just move buttons around instead?

I know there are people out there who might do something silly like that instead of using the pedometer as intended.
I'm sure Nintendo/GameFreak knows this as well, so that might be a reason why we won't get this.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So today, for those who downloaded the demo when most of us did, the Ferry Policeman event is now available. And it's not only disappointing, it also doesn't give you an item (what's the point than?). Basically the police officer says he heard two guys were meeting up to do something suspicious... and turns out it was just these guys comparing their Slowpokes. Okay, first off, why do that in secret? Why not go to one of your houses if you want it to be private? Though even if you did it in public I don't think anyone would care, infact some may even join and show off how his Slowpoke looks.

For me the last event is on the 11th, and though sadly I spoiled myself of it, I do know its very much worth my time and I look forward to seeing it myself and talking about it. :) And of course I'll give my opinion on the demo in general as to me that'll be the "end" of it, which is alright as in about a week from then Sun & Moon will be out. ;)

So today, for those who downloaded the demo when most of us did, the Ferry Policeman event is now available. And it's not only disappointing, it also doesn't give you an item (what's the point than?).
While I also found the content of the event disappointing (and, to be honest, faintly creepy), it made surprisingly intricate use of camera angles and techniques for a 30-second Pokémon cutscene - so if that's a forerunner of things to come in the full games, I'll take it.

I've personally lost interest in the events, so I haven't been playing the demo all that much, unless I suddenly get the urge to charge around town with my tauros.

I think it was random, since I searched everyday for about a week before I gave up. I'll see later if she's still there.

EDIT: Yup, she's still there! Also, Dugtrio makes a weird and annoying sound.

Last edited:
It was pretty funny, though I admit I would have liked to be able to battle the "thugs" or something.
For some reason I thought this event gave us a comet shard

do we even get a comet shard for anything in the demo or am i just misremembering the demo events

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)