Online Competition Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble

US rules and French rules seem to be same : Kanto Dex 'mons from RBY games and Alolan Dex 'mons from SM games (https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/65b18aaf-bbe2-47fb-97c5-89034f8bd8d5).
Damn this make major differences.

Edit : The item banlist doesn't list Mawilite and Beedrillite, meaning these Mega Stones won't be distributed until the beginning of this comp.
If so, that's major BS.

I already posted this to the other thread, but here goes:

Why can't the transferred Pokémon be used in the rating battles and many of the online tournaments? Is there any valid, rational reason, other than "Because Game Freak?"

I know it has something to do with the fact that GF is trying to prevent people from using hacked Pokémon, but why are the gen 4-5 Pokémon more likely to be considered "hacked" when compared to the 6-7 gen Pokémon? I don't use cheating devices myself, but I understood that in the 3DS games it's extremely easy to modify your save data and Pokémon with Power Saves.

I personally find this to be extremely annoying, since I have a huge amount of 100% legitimately obtained max IV Pokémon I've obtained in the 4th and 5th gen games with RNG abuse. I also have a lot of extremely rare event Pokémon (again with max IV's) that are also RNG'd and I can't use them in barely any of the official online competitions or rating battles.

I also feel like it would be extremely annoying and unfair to soft reset or breed all of these Pokémon again in the 6-7 gen games (and on top of that, to level up and EV train them), especially because I've already obtained all of them in the previous generations.

Also, if I decide to SR/breed all of these Pokémon all over again in the 6-7 gen games, who's to say they are allowed when the next gen comes out? If they weren't allowed in the future gens, I would have wasted aprobably hundreds of hourse, if not more.

Allowing transferred Pokémon to be used in tournaments would create inequality between players, since not everyone has access to TMs, move tutors etc. from older games. This would also make 7th gen Pokémon inherently weaker in comparison, since their movepool is much more narrow.

I'm not sure whether I agree with the reasoning, but it does make transferring Pokémon pretty useless.

Allowing transferred Pokémon to be used in tournaments would create inequality between players, since not everyone has access to TMs, move tutors etc. from older games. This would also make 7th gen Pokémon inherently weaker in comparison, since their movepool is much more narrow.

I'm not sure whether I agree with the reasoning, but it does make transferring Pokémon pretty useless.
It's also a slap to the face of the older players, who have bought every game and system in the past. Besides, most of the relevant TM's and move tutors are found in the 6-7 gen games as well.

You can use blue pentagon 'mons on BSS and BSD. Maybe 'cause of Jap players.
What's the reasoning behind that then? Doesn't that also create unfair situations in where the players who don't have those games don't get access to the exclusive Pokémon and move tutors?

In fact I find the things well balanced. 'Old' players could benefit from their previous games in Rank Battles, in Singles and in Doubles. In the same time, 'new' players have their own opportunity in formats like VGC and Online Competitions. Don't know what's going on for Special regulations.

It's a shame these Sun/Moon competitions haven't had the luxury of unique themes. This is pretty much the Alola Friendly, but with a few extra Gen 1 Pokemon to spice up the competition and much to my dismay we STILL can't use Mega-Stones. I'm willing to bet that Zapdos, Articuno and Venasaur will have a huge impact in this revised metagame, though I'm still disappointed with the lack of creativity that Game Freak has showcased with these recent competitions.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
If so, that's major BS.

I already posted this to the other thread, but here goes:

Why can't the transferred Pokémon be used in the rating battles and many of the online tournaments? Is there any valid, rational reason, other than "Because Game Freak?"

I know it has something to do with the fact that GF is trying to prevent people from using hacked Pokémon, but why are the gen 4-5 Pokémon more likely to be considered "hacked" when compared to the 6-7 gen Pokémon? I don't use cheating devices myself, but I understood that in the 3DS games it's extremely easy to modify your save data and Pokémon with Power Saves.

I personally find this to be extremely annoying, since I have a huge amount of 100% legitimately obtained max IV Pokémon I've obtained in the 4th and 5th gen games with RNG abuse. I also have a lot of extremely rare event Pokémon (again with max IV's) that are also RNG'd and I can't use them in barely any of the official online competitions or rating battles.

I also feel like it would be extremely annoying and unfair to soft reset or breed all of these Pokémon again in the 6-7 gen games (and on top of that, to level up and EV train them), especially because I've already obtained all of them in the previous generations.

Also, if I decide to SR/breed all of these Pokémon all over again in the 6-7 gen games, who's to say they are allowed when the next gen comes out? If they weren't allowed in the future gens, I would have wasted aprobably hundreds of hourse, if not more.
This isn't the place to lament about this, please keep discussion in this thread to the online competition itself.

In answer to your post though, it's basically what Tinglemies said. Just like almost every game that's ever been made, things obtained in old games become useless when the next games come out, this situation isn't unique to Pokemon. The playing field needs to be even so they're only allowing Pokemon obtained in 3DS Pokemon games. Bank allows you to hold onto and collect those things from older games still, but unfortunately you can't battle with them. Yes, every time a new generation of games comes out you will need to breed / soft reset new Pokemon. Just something you (and everyone else) have to deal with.

Fun! Should be interesting to see how Bankmons fare against their Alolan newcomers. Will there bet a setup on Showdown for this eventually? I really want to get my teambuilding going :)

Any news about the ruleset? Still not clear for me if the Mons must be bred in SM / transfered from the VC-Games or if Mons transfered from ORAS can also be used.

Given the metagame's speed is going to be extremely similar to the Alola Friendly, and given the new additions in terms of Pokemon, abilities or moves, what do you think about a certain pair of Pokemon that have 120 base Speed?

There is something both regular Dugtrio and Alakazam adore in this tournament - a lack of fast Pokemon. Above the Base 100 Speed tier, you have Garchomp, Nihilego and Kartana. At Base 110, there is Raichu (both), (lol) Alolan Dugtrio and Gengar. From that, you have to jump to Base 130 to find the next Pokemon, not including Dugtrio and Alakazam.

With a neutral nature, Dugtrio and Alakazam still outspeed everything up to Nihilego included, losing the Speed game versus Pokemon they didn't beat or lose to because of Speed differences (or are irrelevant), except perhaps Kartana (which Alakazam checks anyways), while they gain some sought-for power.

Some theorymoning but this is what I can think for them right now:

Dugtrio @ Choice Band / Groundium Z / Poisonium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Sucker Punch / Memento / Sludge Wave
- Aerial Ace / Memento

An abundance of slower and/or Ground-weak Pokemon that are asking to be trapped makes me think Dugtrio can leave the Focus Sash behind and go on an all-out offense.

With the Choice Band boost, Dugtrio manages to always OHKO Tapu Lele with Earthquake - which is a quite interesting feat. It also gets a tiny chance of 2HKOing Tapu Fini with the same move, and an almost guaranteed OHKO on bulky Metagross. There doesn't seem to be any other notable benchmarks but it does let you wear down the targets a little less before the Dugtrio switch-in.

If you need even more punch (to, say, KO a Tapu Fini that is at around 50%) and you yet have to give one of your Pokemon a Z-Move, there's always the option of running a Groundium Z.

Memento seems useful when running a Z-Crystal and your opponent tries to use Dugtrio as a Mimikyu set-up bait. As the Pokemon pool is very similar to the Alola Friendly, Mimikyu should still be very common and negating a Swords Dance sounds cool.

Poisonium Z coupled with an uninvested Sludge Wave looks weird, but with a Naughty Nature, it can actually destroy any Tapu Bulu lacking an Assault Vest if you need it removed ASAP:

0 SpA Dugtrio Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 160-192 (90.3 - 108.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

It always OHKOes the suggested Choice Band spread BTW. If it weren't for the fact Dugtrio does not allow switches, one could say it's a lure.

Alakazam @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt Charge Beam
- Counter

From the depths of the Virtual Console, Alakazam gets Magic Guard + Counter. Coupled with the usual Focus Sash non-Mega Alakazam tends to carry, it makes for a surprisingly deadly combination. Counter should OHKO every physical sweeper not called Mimikyu that your other moves cannot deal with, while they cannot OHKO you first (unless it's a Focus Sash Cloyster).

Other than that, it's a pretty standard Magic Guard + Focus Sash Alakazam. The lack of slow (and threatening) Dark-types means Focus Blast is not necessary, and can instead run Thunderbolt to threaten Celesteela (often 2HKOing those without heavy specially defensive investment, something Timid cannot pull off) and Charge Beam to OHKO Gyarados.

Modest gives Alakazam a chance to OHKO Kartana with Shadow Ball, as well.

Last edited:
Counter Alakazam is legit, Dugtrio, however, not so much... and you didn't reeeeaaaally make a good case for it with your examples. Choice Band means you lose to Scarf Lele anyway; a little, tiny chance of 2HKO'ing Fini is also negligible when most of the time it'll just KO duggy before taking the 2nd hit. Metagross really wasn't a thing back in the Alola Friendly and I don't expect it to be a thing now. Poisonium-Z sounds cool as a lure, I'll give you at, but at this point we're really scratching the bottom of the barrel for gimmicks. Point is, there really aren't many relevant things that are threatened by Dugtrio. Off the top of my head the only Poke that would absolute hate being trapped by it would be Toxapex, but really, no body is switching their Toxapex in on it and Duggy can't really switch in either.

Basically yeah, Counter-Zam could be a baller, but Duggy is pretty mediocre. Speed is nice and all, but only when you can actually do something with it. Actually, very few VC stuff are actually useful. Besides Double-Edge/Body Slam Tauros and CounterZam I can't really think of anything else that might be worth using.

Last edited:
In this competition, the only Pokémon you can use are those you could discover in the Kanto region in Pokémon Red, Pokémon Blue, or Pokémon Yellow, along with Pokémon of the Alola region you can find in Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon.
https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/65b18aaf-bbe2-47fb-97c5-89034f8bd8d5

So I think its saying that pokemon from Sun and Moon + RBY are legal (minus the cover legendaries and the Island Scan Pokemon), and any potential movesets through Poke Transporter are allowed. And if you look at the eligible Pokemon list, the the legendary bird trio are all permitted, so I think thats another reason to believe transferred mons are eligible, since theres no other way to get the birds in SuMo.

Made a team this night and i wanna get some help for it! (i know that i have 5 Pokémon,i dont know a good 6th 'mon.)

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang

My Fast Physical attacker Garchomp, A Jolly nature, 252 speed EVS and Choice scarf to outspeed 252+ non-scarfed Tapu Koko. 252 atk EVS because its a physical attacker and you wanna do the most damage possible,isnt it Dragon claw for a physical dragon move,earthquake against tapu koko and other pokémon weak to ground,Poison jab to cover fairy types and fire fang as the last coverage move.

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Disguise
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Basic Mimikyu set, Swords dance until my disguise is broken, and then shadow claw or play rough, or if i need to outspeed shadow sneak.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Nihilego, My fairy counter and switch-in on tapu bulu and basically all fairys in the game. Power gem and sludge wave are his STAB damaging moves and light screen and reflect to help the team.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

I needed another Fast Special attacker and idecide to go with charizard because:
-He counters Venusaur
-Everybody loves Charizard!
Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 130 HP / 252 Atk / 126 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Stockpile
- Body Slam
- Crunch

Its a Physical attacker and i love this gimmicky set!

And sorry for my bad englisch ;)

Last edited:
Made a team this night and i wanna get some help for it! (i know that i have 5 Pokémon,i dont know a good 6th 'mon.)

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang

My Fast Physical attacker Garchomp, A Jolly nature, 252 speed EVS and Choice scarf to outspeed 252+ non-scarfed Tapu Koko. 252 atk EVS because its a physical attacker and you wanna do the most damage possible,isnt it Dragon claw for a physical dragon move,earthquake against tapu koko and other pokémon weak to ground,Poison jab to cover fairy types and fire fang as the last coverage move.

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Basic Mimikyu set, Swords dance until my disguise is broken, and then shadow claw or play rough, or if i need to outspeed shadow sneak.

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Nihilego, My fairy counter and switch-in on tapu bulu and basically all fairys in the game. Power gem and sludge wave are his STAB damaging moves and light screen and reflect to help the team.

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

I needed another Fast Special attacker and idecide to go with charizard because:
-He counters Venusaur
Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Stockpile
- Body Slam
- Crunch

Its hard to say if ur team is good or not, because the meta just began. But I would suggest a Arcanine instead of charizard. Since there is no mega, charizard is defeated by many common pokes that Ive been seeing, like tapu koko, zapdos and even walled by A-muk. Arcanine provides intimidate support, and can run WoW to cripple other garchomps, and have acess to extremespeed, revenge killing opponent low life. Other suggestion, is adding thunderbolt on nihilego, since its totally walled by common wall, Celesteela. Talking of it, ur team seems to lack a effective way to deal with it besides charizard (or arcanine if u add my suggestion there). Nihilego is not a common wall setuper. It can switch on opponent special attack (since its base sp def is pretty good) and do a massive damage on it, like koko. Snorlax is pretty bulky, but ur team need a effective wall. I suggest testing celesteela or chansey or a unaware user or bulky water, like fini or slowbro as ur final mon. Last note, I think that transfered mon from oras can be used at this tournament, in his case, try a thunderpunch snorlax. Its still gimminicky but with belly drum u might have a chance against celesteela and other bulky water mons :)

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Fire Fang

Mimikyu @ Focus Sash
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Shadow Claw
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance

Nihilego @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Charizard @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Air Slash
- Tailwind
- Protect

-He counters Venusaur
Snorlax @ Normalium Z
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Stockpile
- Body Slam
- Crunch

why are you using tailwind and protect on a specs mon?

also:

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nihilego in Grassy Terrain: 190-225 (102.7 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

nihilego isn't switching in on bulu...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
http://prntscr.com/eexug0 (besides zam not learning tbolt ever) it wouldnt let me use the VC moves on showdown
It isn't stated anywhere that VC transfered mons are eligible for this competition so it's assumed they aren't. If you can find proof they are allowed we'll amend it on PS.
https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/65b18aaf-bbe2-47fb-97c5-89034f8bd8d5

So I think its saying that pokemon from Sun and Moon + RBY are legal (minus the cover legendaries and the Island Scan Pokemon), and any potential movesets through Poke Transporter are allowed. And if you look at the eligible Pokemon list, the the legendary bird trio are all permitted, so I think thats another reason to believe transferred mons are eligible, since theres no other way to get the birds in SuMo.
https://twitter.com/joemerrick/status/837195234173939712

ok yeah wow all transfers are apparently legal, not just gen 6 / RBY transfers. this will be fixed on PS asap

So finally we have BSS + VC 'mons ?
Not really, since it's still restricted to Pokemon available in Red, Green, Blue, Yellow, Sun and Moon.

It does not include everything that can be used in the BSS, and Mega Evolutions are still not allowed.

why are you using tailwind and protect on a specs mon?

also:

252+ Atk Tapu Bulu Horn Leech vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nihilego in Grassy Terrain: 190-225 (102.7 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

nihilego isn't switching in on bulu...

Its hard to say if ur team is good or not, because the meta just began. But I would suggest a Arcanine instead of charizard. Since there is no mega, charizard is defeated by many common pokes that Ive been seeing, like tapu koko, zapdos and even walled by A-muk. Arcanine provides intimidate support, and can run WoW to cripple other garchomps, and have acess to extremespeed, revenge killing opponent low life. Other suggestion, is adding thunderbolt on nihilego, since its totally walled by common wall, Celesteela. Talking of it, ur team seems to lack a effective way to deal with it besides charizard (or arcanine if u add my suggestion there). Nihilego is not a common wall setuper. It can switch on opponent special attack (since its base sp def is pretty good) and do a massive damage on it, like koko. Snorlax is pretty bulky, but ur team need a effective wall. I suggest testing celesteela or chansey or a unaware user or bulky water, like fini or slowbro as ur final mon. Last note, I think that transfered mon from oras can be used at this tournament, in his case, try a thunderpunch snorlax. Its still gimminicky but with belly drum u might have a chance against celesteela and other bulky water mons :)

I am gonna replace Charizard with arcanine,so no longer protect on a specs mon! And i already added Celesteela as last mon to check other Mimikyu so i can also using him as wall.

And Nihilego isnt a switch-in to Bulu thats right so Arcanine needs to counter Bulu then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)