Arpee's Art Thread

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I offer my best greetings, Arpee_!

I've had an eye on your art thread now for a while and I figured that it was about time that I swing by again really quick to compliment you on your magnificent artworks! I speak undoubtedly for all of us when I say that the increasing number of banners that you've designed for a notable amount of threads here in such a considerably short amount of time have been the proverbial cherry on top of the sundae. Well done!

I offer my best greetings, Arpee_!

I've had an eye on your art thread now for a while and I figured that it was about time that I swing by again really quick to compliment you on your magnificent artworks! I speak undoubtedly for all of us when I say that the increasing number of banners that you've designed for a notable amount of threads here in such a considerably short amount of time have been the proverbial cherry on top of the sundae. Well done!
Hi there! Thank you so much for the wonderful comment, I always notice when you like a piece of my work, your support is much appreciated for sure! However, I am slightly confused, I haven't made any banners for the threads on here yet ^_^; I think you may have the work confused with someone else maybe?

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there! Thank you so much for the wonderful comment, I always notice when you like a piece of my work, your support is much appreciated for sure! However, I am slightly confused, I haven't made any banners for the threads on here yet ^_^; I think you may have the work confused with someone else maybe?
Oh? How embarrassing. I could've sworn that I saw a couple of banners with an art style that reminded me of yours in some threads here somewhere.
Please excuse my faux pas, I must've indeed mixed up things there.

My point however still stands though: The quality of the artworks/commissions (team logos, banners etc.) that you've done for fellow users here on the site here speaks a clear language (and volumes no less).

Who knows? Maybe at some point you could even do artworks for threads and Flying Press articles as well?
I'm fairly certain that you could become an approved artist here in no time with that talent and creativity of yours!

Oh? How embarrassing. I could've sworn that I saw a couple of banners with an art style that reminded me of yours in some threads here somewhere.
Please excuse my faux pas, I must've indeed mixed up things there.

My point however still stands though: The quality of the artworks/commissions (team logos, banners etc.) that you've done for fellow users here on the site here speaks a clear language (and volumes no less).

Who knows? Maybe at some point you could even do artworks for threads and Flying Press articles as well?
I'm fairly certain that you could become an approved artist here in no time with that talent and creativity of yours!
Oh it's no worries! Just don't want to be credited for work that isn't mine.

Still, thank you so very much for your compliments, it's always nice to hear people enjoy my work! I am actually already an Approved Artist, though due to Uni I never got the chance to take on any work for those threads. It's definitely something I've been meaning to do, but I've had an overload of commissions to work on so just not had the chance. I'm working on some banners for a users Pokemon trading thread at the moment, so should hopefully get those up soon! Then maybe take on a few pieces for the Flying Press and such.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Oh it's no worries! Just don't want to be credited for work that isn't mine.

Still, thank you so very much for your compliments, it's always nice to hear people enjoy my work! I am actually already an Approved Artist, though due to Uni I never got the chance to take on any work for those threads. It's definitely something I've been meaning to do, but I've had an overload of commissions to work on so just not had the chance. I'm working on some banners for a users Pokemon trading thread at the moment, so should hopefully get those up soon! Then maybe take on a few pieces for the Flying Press and such.
Understandable!

Excellent! Late congratulations on having become an approved artist! For some reason that must've escaped me as well.
Either way, whatever your plans in our community here might be, I wish you lots of fun exhibiting your chefs d'oeuvre and interacting with fellow artists here in the future!

Ultimately inspiration is a bilateral thing. Being an artist does not only mean "being inspired oneself", but it also means "inspiring others" after all!

Understandable!

Excellent! Late congratulations on having become an approved artist! For some reason that must've escaped me as well.
Either way, whatever your plans in our community here might be, I wish you lots of fun exhibiting your chefs d'oeuvre and interacting with fellow artists here in the future!

Ultimately inspiration is a bilateral thing. Being an artist does not only mean "being inspired oneself", but it also means "inspiring others" after all!
Definitely looking like my chomp profile picture right now! Seriously means the world to hear you say such supportive things. If I can inspire and create work that people enjoy then that's all I can hope for. I will do my best :swole:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Requested team logo made for the 'Pernicious Pajantoms' for the CAPTT. Had a lot of fun with this peice, Pajantom is such a cool concept and its colour scheme is nice to work with! I also included the version without the team name ^_^ Good luck to the team in the league ~View attachment 128328
Definitely like this one, because you created a natural space for the text to be. Be wary of using fonts that get too thin or wobbly, because logos are often put as avatars/signatures and it's be nice to have the text somewhat readable even at a smaller scale, but overall I'm just glad that there are others around here who can deal with our logo demand. Super slick.

Definitely like this one, because you created a natural space for the text to be. Be wary of using fonts that get too thin or wobbly, because logos are often put as avatars/signatures and it's be nice to have the text somewhat readable even at a smaller scale, but overall I'm just glad that there are others around here who can deal with our logo demand. Super slick.
Thank you Bummer, I do struggle at times to find places for text once I have an idea for a pose and such in my head, so sometimes the text can feel out of place - though I've never had a client complain at all yet. This piece I feel definitely comes together nicely, the slick shape of Pajantom helps with that for sure. Thanks also for the advice, will definitely take that on board for next time. Still learning of course, and I think with each logo I am improving my techinque and design abilites. Every logo teaches me something new, so any advice I can get that will help me create better logo's is always appreciated!

I found out yesterday that I won the crowdfunding project our Pokken community was doing to raise money for someone to go to the Pokemon World Championships and participate at the Pokken Tournament DX Last Chance Qualifier (LCQ). So just had to draw a wee thing as a thank you to the community!
Definitely inspired by "On my Way" by Phil Collins from Brother Bear.
thank you!.jpg

Last edited:
Happy to be able to share my first Smogon Article Piece! This was made for Palkia Throughout the Ages article that looks at Palkia's space in the meta, currently, and how it's role has changed between the generations. Sorry for the terrible pun...
I absolutely loved making this drawing and, since I've recieved numerous messages asking about my shading process I thought I'd record it!
If you're interested, please have a watch!

palkia.with name.jpg

Last edited:

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
Ah, there we go! I'd like to welcome the opportunity to congratulate you on your first Flying Press article artwork! Keep up the good work!

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Nice job on the logo! The Rayquaza in the background do well to fill in the open space of the shield container shape, and the actual illustrations of each Pokemon within just look nice. Maybe the text could use a bit more consideration, as it's fairly flat compared to the other elements of the logo, and the thick outline around it separates it a bit too much from the parchment it should be resting on. But in general, I think the logo is attention-grabbing and works nicely for that team.

Also, I really like the perspective on that Palkia illustration, and having the hold items sitting in those rifts is a clever way to illustrate the content of the article it was made for. I watched the recording of your shading job, and I like the way you cover the whole drawing in the darkest color, then carve the highlights out from the shadows. I can't say I've seen the shading process other digital artists go through, but I haven't seen or thought of that technique before. Interesting way to get the job done!

Nice job on the logo! The Rayquaza in the background do well to fill in the open space of the shield container shape, and the actual illustrations of each Pokemon within just look nice. Maybe the text could use a bit more consideration, as it's fairly flat compared to the other elements of the logo, and the thick outline around it separates it a bit too much from the parchment it should be resting on. But in general, I think the logo is attention-grabbing and works nicely for that team.

Also, I really like the perspective on that Palkia illustration, and having the hold items sitting in those rifts is a clever way to illustrate the content of the article it was made for. I watched the recording of your shading job, and I like the way you cover the whole drawing in the darkest color, then carve the highlights out from the shadows. I can't say I've seen the shading process other digital artists go through, but I haven't seen or thought of that technique before. Interesting way to get the job done!
Thank you for the wonderful comment! It was certainly a lovely thing to wake up to.
I agree, in hindsight I probably would have altered it and made it blend more with the piece. Text is something I have always struggled with and in this piece in particular everything I tried didn't seem to work. I had a lot of bother in terms of designing the concept and actually making the piece, meaning it took me far longer than I really wanted to actually finish it. While I am overall happy, the text is something I am definitely not happy with. Additionally, I didn't have time to really alter the design as my client needed the piece. With every logo I learn something new, however, so I know what I need to work on for next time!

As for the Palkia piece, I can say for sure it's probably the most fun I've had with a piece in a long time. I wanted to make sure it was done to a good standard (since it was for an article), and be eye-catching but informative so that people who see it will know what the article is going to be about. It's funny you mention the hold items, as that wasn't my initial plan. I had drawn out the palkia pose and was happy with the perspective, I then was trying to come up with ideas for the background. I didn't want it to be too detailed or intrusive that it would detract from the Palkia itself, so I thought it'd be cool if Palkia was kinda flying/floating between rifts in space to other dimensions as it were, since Palkia resides between dimensions. Then, as I was reading the article I thought "oh! I could include the held items being pulled into each dimension as Palkia passes by them, kinda indicating Palkia's journey through time and space the meta.
The shading process is something that I have always recieved a lot of feedback on, with people often asking how I go about doing it. I used to do shading with a light base then adding the shadows, this is what I was taught in high school in my graphics design class. But, I always felt that didn't capture the value of an object correctly and often just kept the image looking flat. Also, I would always tend to go for very dark/striking shading as I felt this created a nice dynamic to my work. So, I started experimenting with covering the entire image in shadow and then adding where the light would reach and highlight. I feel I had a better understanding of where light meets a surface and how it interacts by creating shadows than adding shadow to where light wouldn't reach...if that makes any sense. I guess it's just what works for me, I feel it helps me capture lighting more easily and creates the impact I desire in my shading - especially since I like to think shading is something I am quite good at, though I do still have a lot to work on.

Sorry for that essay of a reply, I tend to ramble at times ^_^; But again, thank you so much for the comment, I will definitely work on the areas you noted for next time!

Phew! I wouldn't say I'm ever openly proud about my work, but wow, I am so pleased with how this one turned out! This is the fifth instalment for my Pokken Tournament DX project, my main landshark himself, Garchomp! Better not get sliced by his stone edge!
garchomp print edit (moved rockx2).jpg

Last edited:
Thought I'd share a work in progress shot of the reference sheet I've been working on for my D&D character. Our first session is gonna be this coming weekend so I felt it'd be cool if I could get this finished for then. Really enjoying designing this character, for sure!

P.s. The lil book is one of her personal items she carries with her at all times; in order to bridge the language gap and understanding between herself and the 'soft skins', she takes note of all metaphors, idioms and simalies that people use and tries to use them too...more often than not incorrectly XD
reference sheet.2.WIP.compressed.png

Dj Breloominati♬

born to play, forced to john
is a Top Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
Phew! I wouldn't say I'm ever openly proud about my work, but wow, I am so pleased with how this one turned out! This is the fifth instalment for my Pokken Tournament DX project, my main landshark himself, Garchomp! Better not get sliced by his stone edge!View attachment 138566
man o man , you never stop huh; Each pic is better than the previous - the details like the different tinges of blue on the body , background and his eyes make it perfect. Keep up the AMAZING work

A couple of pieces I finished recently.
The first piece was a personal drawing of my protogen sona A7-P3, been working to design a sona for years and I'm really pleased with how she's turning out. Oh, and the background is a stock image cos I'm a lazy butt.

The second piece is a lanyard badge I've made for one of my good friends in preparation for the tournament I'm going to next week. Her favourite pokemon is Jolteon so just had to do it as a gift.
A7-P3 finished with name.2.jpg

courtney badge.finished.smaller.background.jpg

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)