Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suggestion: make it so that when you encounter an opponent with an N avatar, his battle theme plays on your side, and if you have a gym leader avatar or something, their respective battle theme plays on your opponent's side and so forth

Some suggestions for much-needed Ladder QOL, imo.

1: RE: Timer Ties

If two players will time-out at the same time, then both players should have 30 added seconds to their clock if one player clicks a move during the last 5 seconds (in the scenario when the other player would've timed-out in 5 seconds as well). Either that, or add 30 seconds to the clock of the user who didn't click a move. This change would add a safety net to timer-ties, and challenge anyone 'sneaky' enough to snake out of an agreed one.

2: RE: Multi-laddering

Nothing more frustrating than when you're getting soft or hard timer-stalled by someone who starts another game in the middle of your match with him or her. I propose that if someone opens and participates in another ladder match, they should in have a reduced timer in older match instances. -%50 current and max clock time for the opponent who does this.

Hubriz

The Haruspex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
It would be sweet if Roomstaff could have something comparable to the roomsettings, only for room tournament management.
The current command list is pretty long, complicated and the arguments can be pretty confusing.
Adding some nice buttons like "Set Playercap" ; an easier option to autostart the battle after a set time or number of players has been reached; or buttons to add some of the more popular custom rulesets could really serve time and nerves of Room Staff Members while also contributing to a more diverse tournament environment.
If space problems arise, using text boxes to enter stuff like playercaps or custom bans/unbans might be a handy possibility.
I'm not sure if the idea can be realized, but it might be worth trying d:)

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Would it be possible to make an option for subrooms to not transfer a user's rank from the main room to the subroom as well? For example, in QW, we have our own way of promotion and completely different staff team and it kind of becomes strange when a Driver in Trivia that is not Voice there joins and is displayed as Driver. And the need to transfer the rank isn't that big, for example in Game Workshop we just, most of time, promote auth to the next rank in there (except Moderators and ROs, Drivers there are mods and Voices are Drivers). Some rooms benefit from this, I can admit, but others do not (or don't find use).

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Would it be possible to make an option for subrooms to not transfer a user's rank from the main room to the subroom as well? For example, in QW, we have our own way of promotion and completely different staff team and it kind of becomes strange when a Driver in Trivia that is not Voice there joins and is displayed as Driver. And the need to transfer the rank isn't that big, for example in Game Workshop we just, most of time, promote auth to the next rank in there (except Moderators and ROs, Drivers there are mods and Voices are Drivers). Some rooms benefit from this, I can admit, but others do not (or don't find use).
If there's such a discrepancy between the two rooms, why is it a subroom in the first place?

Okay so I have a lot more suggestions and ''complaints'' I'd like to put out. Hopefully someone actually reads this one.

Make it so you can switch from custom models to vanilla models. No, I'm not talking about Gen 6 > Gen 5. Some guy has been making custom models for a few select Pokémon (some of them which I see very frequently in the RU tier) which look..to say the least, really bad. I understand that some Smogon staff really likes these, but I don't (and I know others who don't either). I don't wanna be forced into using Gen 5 sprites just to avoid ugly custom models.

Friendlist. So there's a lot of people in PS that I like talking to, but I also wanna know when they're online. This could also allow for groupchats. Not sure how hard this all would be to code.

Better punish system vs ragequitters. Okay, hear me out. As it stands right now, what's stopping me from leaving games willy-nilly the moment I'm about to lose and start another game in an instant? Okay so you lose ''elo'' but how's that actually a real enough punishment for people who play this for fun? I cannot stress how many times I've played vs some guy with Galvantula and/or Smeargle for them to ragequit the moment I use Taunt or do anything else to stop their setups. Atleast put some sort of cooldown timer.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Friendlist. So there's a lot of people in PS that I like talking to, but I also wanna know when they're online. This could also allow for groupchats. Not sure how hard this all would be to code.

Better punish system vs ragequitters. Okay, hear me out. As it stands right now, what's stopping me from leaving games willy-nilly the moment I'm about to lose and start another game in an instant? Okay so you lose ''elo'' but how's that actually a real enough punishment for people who play this for fun? I cannot stress how many times I've played vs some guy with Galvantula and/or Smeargle for them to ragequit the moment I use Taunt or do anything else to stop their setups. Atleast put some sort of cooldown timer.
Friendlists are already on the devs' to-do list, it has been suggested multiple times

Nothing can really be done about your last issue, as such the ELO drop acts as ''punishment'' as you said. While waiting, you can just start searching for another battle, you can search again once you've found successfully a battle.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Personally, i wouldnt say punishing rage-quitters is worth it because:

The harm it causes isnt worth punishing false positives (“rage” is hard to verify) when you can start a new game immediately. Especially true if we have a cooldown timer or other automatic system.

The harm it causes isnt worth the influx of real and exaggerated/fake RQ reports the global staff will have to deal with, that distract them from people that need help and have worse problems

Compared to things like timerstall its not unambiguously/always a negative (e.g. Id rather have someone RQ against me, so i can start a new not-decided game, than they try to balance the doomed game and another and waste time)

Ilikebugs

WGO 3rd Place
we need to have an option to change pp on a move to be like ingame (ie change trump card to 8pp) and also when /dt hypnosis,gen 4 we should have some kind of /dt for hypnosis in DPP because it was 70% in that game but it was changed in Plat

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The option to change PPs across the in-game range has been suggested, but besides for trump card (hence its showdown PP being changed to 5) nobody has raised much benefit for that being an option.

My suggestion is reacting to other users' suggestions and either implement or reject them. Stop being so ignorant here.
I made multiple suggestions here and repeateldy posted them, but never got a reaction from a team member nor were they implemented/officially rejected.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
My suggestion is reacting to other users' suggestions and either implement or reject them. Stop being so ignorant here.
I made multiple suggestions here and repeateldy posted them, but never got a reaction from a team member nor were they implemented/officially rejected.
This is definitely the way to get your suggestions implemented. By insulting the people who could do it.

The development team both has lives outside of working on PS and may not know whether or not something is feasible/desirable to implement. Your 'unaddressed' suggestions almost entirely seem to boil down to the disconnect timer's length. Your constant posting about it shows that you don't, in fact, read the OP of this thread otherwise you would have seen that "longer disconnect timer (people complaining that the timer does not give you enough time to reconnect if you dc)" is one of the common suggestions and so has been acknowledged by the devs and probably doesn't need to be suggested yet again.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
I have to say it yet again: Please remove the damn disconnect timer, just let the normal battle timer run out if someone disconnects!
I just lost TWO tournaments because I got a disconnect out of nowhere - a stream running simultaneously didn't stop - and didn't manage to reconnect within 20 seconds. With just the normal timer, I would have had enough time to reconnect and play my battles.

It is such a simple change in the code, I really don't get why you haven't done that yet.

Edit: it also would be nice if I could turn the timer off after my oppoent enforced it by pressing the "stop timer" button which appears when the opponent disconnects to give him more time to reconnect as a gesture of fair play.
The DC timer exists to keep battles where someone rage quits/cant play anymore short. Rather than having a player wait 170 seconds when someone quits/DCs, they only have to wait 60, and (to prevent using DCs to get more time) if the timer was under 60 seconds already, the player only has as much time as was left on the regular timer to reconnect.

While all of our internet connections may fail once in a while (mine does), sometimes just to PS (connection was interrupted for too long maybe due to something between the player and PS maybe), we still feel that having a DC timer of about a minute is enough time for most people to reconnect, while also not making the other player wait for a long period of time to take the win if the other player doesn't reconnect.

While yes its a simple code change, before programming is done a "policy change" must be made, and at this time we feel that the DC timer is fine as is for ladder matches. A change is pending for challenge matches though that will be announced at a later date.

We are not trying to ignore you, often times we don't reply to suggestions (accepted, rejected, or missed). I hope this helps to clarify what happened.

Last edited:

NuttyRabbit

Banned deucer.
The ability to delete replays would be nice, because the ones I want to see are drowned in a sea of replays I saved by accident. Alternatively, not having a cap on the amount of replays you can save/scroll through

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
The ability to delete replays would be nice, because the ones I want to see are drowned in a sea of replays I saved by accident. Alternatively, not having a cap on the amount of replays you can save/scroll through
Deleting replays is a tricky subject since they are often used for keeping evidence when we lock someone in a battle. Allowing the player who got locked to delete the replay wouldn't be good since it wipes out the evidence. I don't think there is a cap on uploading replays, maybe one the # you can upload in a short time but not to total number.

Deleting replays is a tricky subject since they are often used for keeping evidence when we lock someone in a battle. Allowing the player who got locked to delete the replay wouldn't be good since it wipes out the evidence. I don't think there is a cap on uploading replays, maybe one the # you can upload in a short time but not to total number.
How about the option to star replays so they can appear at the top or in a separate tab, and give the ability to hide certain replays after the replays saved but give staff the ability to look at these post battle hidden replays? It's not quite what he was asking for but it's something I'd like.

Or even just give us the ability to have a separate tab we can move junk replays into like a junk folder. Keeps them from being deleted so staff can still find them but keeps them out of the way.

EDIT: the more I think about it the more I'd like to have the ability to have folders for replays like we do for team builder. That way I can sort stuff between ladder highlights, tournament matches, and maybe have a hidden tab that I can move specific replays into that like said above, can be seen by staff for moderating purpose. If this can't be a thing then refer to above with the whole staring idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)