Suggestions for Pokémon Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestly, this is just a small quality life thing I would want to see in Pokémon Showdown. Right now, Pokémon Showdown uses a ladder system (which is great, sadly my skill limits me to the 1500-1650 range), but today I would like to suggest a small add on to this, ranks. These would be little icons that appear near your name/avatar (haven’t decided yet) in-game depending on what ladder rank you have in the metagame you're playing. Also, I think this will help balance out games because now you can only play against others in your rank, which will hopefully prevent huge advantages towards another player. I say this particularly because I was watching PhoenixMaster1 (around 1800 at the time) destroy someone who was a mere 1500, which was extremely unfair. Now, for an example of the rank Elo requirements, I’m going to be using some ranks that I thought of based on Pokémon trainer classes.​

Ranks:
1000-1099: Youngster
1100-1199: Trainer
1200-1299: Grunt
1300-1399: Admin
1400-1499: Ace Trainer
1500-1599: Gym Leader
1600-1699: Elite Four
1700+: Champion

Finally, if this were added in, I think it would be cool to have each rank symbol be 1 of the Kanto Gym Badges (going in order of how they are earned in-game with Blue/Giovanni’s Badge being the “Champion” rank).​

What do you guys think of this? Thanks for reading my post, have an amazing day! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:

possessedbyademon

Banned deucer.
They should add an option to make it so that it doesn't show "(Your name) joined/left" when you join or leave a battle. I like watching battles anonymously, but right now I'm stuck logged in as a guest for the next 7 days so I can't.

Lol it took me about a year on PS to realize I could just drag and drop to reorganize the order of my teams, maybe just some sort of indicator or way to make it a little more obvious to new players that thats a feature would be nice because that was a huge quality of life improvement I just never realized was a thing.

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Is there a way you guys can make the "/modlog" command more detailed for polls? It would be helpful for rooms who will do a few polls related and forget the winner/loser of the poll.

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is there a way you guys can make the "/modlog" command more detailed for polls? It would be helpful for rooms who will do a few polls related and forget the winner/loser of the poll.
You can click the end poll timestamp link to see the roomlogs and the poll’s messy but decipherable html

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
You can click the end poll timestamp link to see the roomlogs and the poll’s messy but decipherable html
Since you have to go to roomlogs, would it ve possible for all roomstaff to see roomlogs in a Private/Secret room? It would be better for the people trying to help in a private room

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader
Since you have to go to roomlogs, would it ve possible for all roomstaff to see roomlogs in a Private/Secret room? It would be better for the people trying to help in a private room
A logs revamp similar to the modlog one is in the works/to-do list

Havens

WGI World Champion
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Something really small, but perhaps make a multi-pm chat option? It's cool for games like Mafia where factions of 3-4 mafia players can interact w/ eachother directly on PS! without the hassle of individually communicating with peeps through a new chat on Discord or talking to each member individually (unless this is already implemented, please tell me how.)

There should be a cooldown period after winning against somebody so that you don't get matched up to them again after 2-3 games. Nothing more annoying than winning a hard-fought match, only for the next one to be someone you've already played so that they know your team and thus ruin the element of surprise. Pretty awkward too tbh

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Something really small, but perhaps make a multi-pm chat option? It's cool for games like Mafia where factions of 3-4 mafia players can interact w/ eachother directly on PS! without the hassle of individually communicating with peeps through a new chat on Discord or talking to each member individually (unless this is already implemented, please tell me how.)
There are groupchats which are invite (by the creator) only temporary rooms that act as a group PM. Though these currently are restricted public room drivers+/global voices+. The plan is to eventually let anyone create a groupchat once we iron out issues with them.

HoeenHero

The Misspelled Hero!
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
There should be a cooldown period after winning against somebody so that you don't get matched up to them again after 2-3 games. Nothing more annoying than winning a hard-fought match, only for the next one to be someone you've already played so that they know your team and thus ruin the element of surprise. Pretty awkward too tbh
There is a check in the matchmaker to ensure you dont play the same user twice in a row, though maybe its not working based on what you said?

Ginger Princess

Girl moding so hard rn
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Have y'all considered just opening up Showdown names that have been inactive for a certain timeframe? I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this, and I understand gdrivers and above can request for a username, but there are some accounts that have been just unused for over 5 years now, spanning 3 separate gens of Pokemon. If these users planned to return, they would have done so by now, and possibly setting up a temporary first-come first-serve basis post in order to delegate these names could be appropriate for other active and respectful users.

Though I would understand if that would be a time commitment that none of the admins would want to undertake, if the process couldn't be streamlined with a program and had to be done manually and individually. Just curious if something like this has been considered or the reasons the higher up would have to not allowing something like this to happen

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Have y'all considered just opening up Showdown names that have been inactive for a certain timeframe? I'm sure I'm not the first to suggest this, and I understand gdrivers and above can request for a username, but there are some accounts that have been just unused for over 5 years now, spanning 3 separate gens of Pokemon. If these users planned to return, they would have done so by now, and possibly setting up a temporary first-come first-serve basis post in order to delegate these names could be appropriate for other active and respectful users.

Though I would understand if that would be a time commitment that none of the admins would want to undertake, if the process couldn't be streamlined with a program and had to be done manually and individually. Just curious if something like this has been considered or the reasons the higher up would have to not allowing something like this to happen
If an account is inactive for too long, it becomes disabled, thus no one can enter it unless enabled again. It will generally be enabled once someone that meets the requirements claims it.

There is a check in the matchmaker to ensure you dont play the same user twice in a row, though maybe its not working based on what you said?
I guess that only ensures you don't play the same user straight afterward. Playing User A, then User B, then User A again is a common occurrence.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
Dedicate an adjustable section of the battle log (that appears to the side of battles) to chat only, or at least provide an option in the options panel to make battle chats display this way.

I personally find it really bothersome when people chatting gets in the way of important battle information, especially when people spam, as there is no spam filter for battles afaik. At the same time, I don't wanna be bothered to modchat every battle and voice all the people I'm okay with talking.

Ryota Mitarai

Shrektimus Prime
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Dedicate an adjustable section of the battle log (that appears to the side of battles) to chat only, or at least provide an option in the options panel to make battle chats display this way.

I personally find it really bothersome when people chatting gets in the way of important battle information, especially when people spam, as there is no spam filter for battles afaik. At the same time, I don't wanna be bothered to modchat every battle and voice all the people I'm okay with talking.
You can click ''hide spectators'' to hide those people

Kalalokki

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris an Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sprite Leader

It has to be done manually by admins and there would be too many requests if it was open to everyone, not really feasible.

The Official Glyx

Banned deucer.
You can click ''hide spectators'' to hide those people
I don't want to ignore people, I just want to move text entered by users to a separate box that doesn't impose on battle information, while still allowing both player and audience to interact with each other

What I'm thinking of is something like this:
suggestion.PNG
The would-be battle chat being represented by the sticky note at the bottom.

If there's such a discrepancy between the two rooms, why is it a subroom in the first place?

The two rooms are linked because Question Workshop (the sunroom) requires an audition to submit questions to the main room (trivia). I forget why QW isn’t linked (probably because free roomauth, even voice, is really attractive for some users). Trivia and QW can’t exist in the same room, as there could be official question leaks/etc., and the reason Ryota asked is that being a room staff in trivia doesn’t guarantee it in Question Workshop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)