2018-2019 (Soccer) Football Thread

Can Arsenal just take Monchi away from us before he does something stupid again? Like hiring Ranieri as caretaker, selling Zaniolo to fund a move for Chiesa...

Was really expecting this debacle from Real Madrid, last season was a way to expect this since they won the UCL in the flukiest way possible. I'm at least glad they are not winning this competition for the time being.

Elsewhere, Hummels, Müller, and Boateng will no longer be considered for Die Mannschaft. Harsh, but can't blame Löw for the decision.

EDIT: looool come at me, Monchi apologists.

Last edited:

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
Can Arsenal just take Monchi away from us before he does something stupid again? Like hiring Ranieri as caretaker, selling Zaniolo to fund a move for Chiesa...
lol that was some timing...

I still feel like your memory is too short... just 5 years ago Roma was languishing around the 6th-7th place in the league, and the Serie A victory in 2000 was soon followed by finishing 8th in the league. It is what it is, Roma is a selling club and will have some mediocre seasons until their finances finally improve.

And worry not, I think there's little chance of Zaniolo leaving, mostly because once the hype train slows down there won't be that many suitors (for the time being). What's his best position? He's supposedly an attacking midfielder... but he can't pass the ball at all. He's (no exaggeration) the worst passer in the league for his position. He does seem like a decent dribbler, he's very tall, and his finishing has been good (we'll have to see whether he can keep that up), which makes me wonder if he isn't miscast as a midfielder, worth exploring whether he'd be better as a pure striker. He better be because there's no way he'll be a star as a playmaker unless his passing drastically improves.

As for Ranieri... as long as he's just a caretaker until the end of the season it might not be that terrible. Roma's main issue the last 2 seasons has been that Di Francesco's high defensive line was totally incompatible with the defensive personnel at hand. Having to watch slow defenders like Fazio, Marcano and Cristante, plus a goalkeeper who absolutely never comes off the line in Olsen trying to play like that was frustrating. Ranieri might not be amazing but I would assume he'll improve the defense at the very least.

lol that was some timing...

I still feel like your memory is too short... just 5 years ago Roma was languishing around the 6th-7th place in the league, and the Serie A victory in 2000 was soon followed by finishing 8th in the league. It is what it is, Roma is a selling club and will have some mediocre seasons until their finances finally improve.

And worry not, I think there's little chance of Zaniolo leaving, mostly because once the hype train slows down there won't be that many suitors (for the time being). What's his best position? He's supposedly an attacking midfielder... but he can't pass the ball at all. He's (no exaggeration) the worst passer in the league for his position. He does seem like a decent dribbler, he's very tall, and his finishing has been good (we'll have to see whether he can keep that up), which makes me wonder if he isn't miscast as a midfielder, worth exploring whether he'd be better as a pure striker. He better be because there's no way he'll be a star as a playmaker unless his passing drastically improves.

As for Ranieri... as long as he's just a caretaker until the end of the season it might not be that terrible. Roma's main issue the last 2 seasons has been that Di Francesco's high defensive line was totally incompatible with the defensive personnel at hand. Having to watch slow defenders like Fazio, Marcano and Cristante, plus a goalkeeper who absolutely never comes off the line in Olsen trying to play like that was frustrating. Ranieri might not be amazing but I would assume he'll improve the defense at the very least.
A second place finish and a place in the semifinals of the Champions League turning into a potential Europa League spot is a huge disappointment, considering the way Monchi was hyped as some kind of guru. We legitimately had no reason to sell Alisson so early. I don't think he was going to have a huge dip in form that would significantly decrease his value this summer if he were to stay. Consistently getting to the knockout stages of the Champions League would have been a more steady source of income rather than relying on the hit-or-miss ability of Monchi to find young players to flip for a profit.

Looking at his purchases since he got here, the only players who seem to have been good buys out of the 20-ish he got are who, Under and Zaniolo? Nzonzi, Pastore, Schick, Defrel, Olsen, Marcano, Moreno, Gonalons, Silva etc have all been garbage. Bianda and Coric are TBD I guess, and we haven't seen enough of Kluivert. And I'm already not comparing them to the players they were supposed to replace. I'd much rather have stuck with Jorah Mormont Sabatini. Even though he had his flops like Iturbe, Trashley Cole (free transfer though), Doumbia, Ibarbo, he also got us absolute steals in Manolas, Nainggolan, Salah, and Alisson.

Zaniolo's still raw, but clubs who want him now have the cash to throw around and are banking on that potential, as am I.

I'm all for firing Di Francesco. We aren't top four in Serie A right now so it's not like we're gambling on a Champions League spot. Fazio's incompetence has been completely exposed this season with Alisson no longer there to cover for his mistakes. Despite the first half of the season showing that, Monchi did fuck all in winter to improve the squad. Absolute joke.

EDIT: So apparently this selling club doesn't care about the release clause that Arsenal would have paid to get Monchi this summer lmfao. MONCHI OUT.

Last edited:
fantastic. all the english clubs are still in the champions league.. arsenal is about to be eliminated from europa..

TOP 4 IS OURS!

So who has everyone got in the champions league

Here's the full draw for the quarter-finals:
  • Ajax vs. Juventus - This would be even, but you can't stop Ronaldo over two legs.
  • Liverpool vs. Porto - Porto will give a good showing, but Liverpool are just too good for them.
  • Tottenham Hotspur vs. Manchester City
  • Barcelona vs. Manchester United - Barcelona to scrape this, United are underated, Barcelona is hugely overated, they are one bad Messi performance from going out. This is still the same side that bottled it at Roma last year.
And the semi-finals:
  • Tottenham/Man City vs. Ajax/Juventus - City are a level above everyone in this format, Juventus luck to run out.
  • Barcelona/Man United vs. Liverpool/Porto - Pique is having a great season but Barca are not good enough to stop Liverpool in attack. There also not good enough in the air. Liverpool could get 5 here over two legs.
Final
City vs Liverpool. -

I think this is City's time

Last edited:
Have to agree with you. I think UEFA wanted a Messi vs Ronaldo or Messi vs Pep storyline. Juventus isn't a team that looks to dominate the ball and Atletico's style suits them completely. Hopefully Man City manage to wreck them since I can't stand Ronaldo.

Barcelona's defence is average so the two counter attacking English teams might give them some trouble.

this is one of the few years where it does feel like the CL is any teams to grab at this point.. to an extent. Going to be awesome.

It is pretty bizarre that although Liverpool have been impressive and dominant in certain ways.. they're still kind of the underdogs to a lot of people. Their team is legit if the injuries stay away.. VVD in the back.. the top 3 in the front.. theyre so damn good. Jealous.

lmao a loss vs SPAL all but guarantees two major sales this summer, right? And if we don't qualify for Europa League either...

hahahahahahaha selling players for a short-term revenue spike and spending on trash replacements was a genius idea from the one and only Monchi.

At least Bayern have reclaimed their top spot in the Bundesliga after that Champions League shitshow. I support one team that only knows how to sell and one team that has a shitload of money but refuses to spend smh.

Arsenal has the harder schedule in the last part.. but my god i cant believe we're actually in 3rd.. the fuck.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
no if arsenal were anything more than what they are, ppl would see them as having the easiest schedule of the top 6 (no fixtures against the rest of the top 6). that we talk about arsenal finishing 4th as in doubt given their current place and their remaining schedule, it is clear that expectations have fallen.

expectations are top 4 with this gang of misfits Emery is working on, hasn't changed all season.. past two seasons.

arsenal has a ton of away games left, but guess id say chelsea has hardest schedule based on their form as well.

united losing tonight was just fucking hilarious.. and put a wrench in things for them.

Man.. Wolves.. kind of dig them, they're doing some good things over there.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
wolves (A) is a real banana skin tbh

arsenal going to turf moor has been historically terrible too hasn't it? sean dyche to break gooner hearts on the last day of the season

destinyunknown

Banned deucer.
It’s amazing how close the Premier League title race has been this season... based on remaining fixtures Liverpool should have a slight edge but you can’t help but feel fate is against them. At least they dodged the banana skin today (featuring an actual slip)

Meanwhile in the Bundesliga, Dortmund also lost a 10 point lead over Bayern, while Ajax dominated Juventus only to squander their chances and end up with only a draw... Cruelest season for Cinderella stories?

idk i feel like Liverpool have gotten some pretty lucky goals and breaks this season.. if anything fate is for them this time around.

Man City.. idk if they get through Spurs and United untouched..

idk i feel like Liverpool have gotten some pretty lucky goals and breaks this season.. if anything fate is for them this time around.

Man City.. idk if they get through Spurs and United untouched..
We also have our share of bad calls such as the games against Leicester and West Ham. People just don't remember them.

I feel bad for the next team City are going to play. What an ending.

This is Liverpool's tournament to lose. Barcelona can't handle them.

other clubs slip.. Arsenal sees an opportunity to make their season a little less stressful..

and the obvious happens.

What a bizarre club.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)