Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

My main takeaway here is "wtf did Battletoads do"
It appears to look like a cheap Flash game. Also apparently many russians grew up with bootleg NES with Battletoads on it, and they are upset about the new artstyle too.

Mhh.. more on topic: i don't own a Switch, and pokemon might have been the thing that made me save up and buy it. Now it firmly isn't the thing that won't made me save up. And i will buy it used, if i will ever decide to buy it. Even if Luigi Mansion 3 looks gorgeous and very enterentaining, and so that will be the thing that will me make buy a Switch, lol.

Even more on topic, and with less controversy: we saw that Wild Dynamax pokemon can use non-maxed moves too. The Shield thing is probably exclusive to them (Maybe. Maybe not.), but i wonder if the choice of non-maxed moves or Maxed moves will be available to trained pokemon.

Also: apart from the 50% more HP, has been any other trained Dynamax buff confirmed? Is there a 50% more every stat? Something else?

Uhhh... beause of ice's molecular structure it can be broken/crushed by absolutelly anything. Following that logic, Ice type should be weak to any physical attack. And it's not the water that melts the ice, as cold water freezes into ice. That's the TEMPERATURE of the surroundings.

Plus, since GF threw that excuse of game ballancing to get rid of national dex, I expect no less than an authentic change in that mechanic. I don't deal that issue as "wishlisting" anymore.
That's factually false. If you took two cups that are at room temperature, say, 75 degrees f, and put ice into them. Then you leave one cup alone, and put water into the other cup at the same temperature as the room. The ice will melt faster in the cup of water than 6 does in the empty cup.

PS. Putting salt on ice also melts it without changing the temperature of its surroundings.

Continuing the ice derail, the melting rate difference has more to do with water having much higher thermal conductivity (and thermal capacity) than air. This is why water resists both fire and ice: it's a massive pain to heat or cool. One thing that ice does well is take EM/light radiation. It's transparent and reflective in the optical band, and the rigidity means it doesn't share water's weakness to the microwave band. Considering light is generally an uncommon attacking option except for Steel (where it occupies 100% of the special moves), Ice should thus resist Steel.

My main takeaway here is "wtf did Battletoads do"

Aside of what's related on the pic above, the true issue is pretty much the same as Power Rangers Mega Battle: You expect a comeback of the franchise as a modern looking game, but instead you get a cerealbox flash game from the 2000's.

I'm probably going to get some flack for this...

There's more than 800 Pokemon out now. A cull was inevitable really, in fact I'm amazed it took this long. "Gotta Catch Em All" has never been a slogan of the games, only the shitty anime (remember "these donuts are great!" and using Thunder as armour anyone?). Even then, it was only a slogan of the English dub - the original Japanese was (I think) "Gotta Catch Pokemon". I'm also looking forward to seeing an Ubers without Primal Groudon on every fucking team, an OU where not everyone is using Landorus-T etc. It'll be a nice shake up. And I have no doubt that Smogon will implement a meta that acts as though you could transfer all old Pokemon. Even if one isn't created, I'm sure someone will make an OM where you can do that.

Now don't get me wrong - I would've preferred it if the option to transfer all older Pokemon was still available. But I can see why Game Freak did make some cuts, and to be honest there's a tonne of Pokemon I don't give a shit about. I'd wager that's the same for most of you too. And no, it is not going to bomb - a lot of people said that about Let's Go, and yet it got positive reviews from the critis and at the moment is the 5th best selling game on Switch with over 10 million copies sold worldwide.

Also the Galar Pokedex already has over 100 mons revealed for it, and we're still 5 months away from release.

BP

Upper Decky Lip Mints
is a Contributor to Smogon
Shifting discussion from the dex thing a bit, i have to say I'm excited to see the new designs. The art director is the same man that blessed us with absolut units like Shadow Lugia, Golurk and Naganadel
I'm in agreement with the new designs. I'm very excited to see what Generation 8 brings us in terms of new Pokemon. Yamper and impdimp or whatever look awful in my opinion. They do however have the opportunity to evolve into something dope.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
CAUGHT UP!

In addition, they are very much the old toy - 5 years by now - and so aren't exactly useful as a marketing tool. Why bother wasting resources on a gimmick that doesn't sell anymore?
You know, except when it is.

This has nothing to do with toys, it has nothing to do with marketing, it has all to do with GF finally deciding that since they don't care about Mega Evolutions or Z-Moves anymore they're dropping them now that they also decided to cull the Dex. It's for purely frivolous reasons, if they actually cared they can make it work. But Mega Evos and Z-Moves did what they wanted, it was fun to play with, but in GF's eyes the new toy has lost its luster so moved on.

It's time to do the criticism we haven't done in the last 5 years.
What, where have you been? We've always been critical of GF. But problem is no matter what bad decision they do they sell millions of copies. There's no punishment for their bad decisions. And if that ever does happen who knows if they'll learn the right lesson and reverse the mistakes. It usually takes a few mistakes before customers actually stop giving a company their support, and by then they either have made more mistakes or had done some things right even. However companies are short sighted for some reason, they think a decrease in sells means something they did wrong in the now so whatever the last few things they did they reverse but possibly not the ones which started the ball rolling.

Oh, apparently when a Dynamax mon is KOed, they EXPLODE.
Insert Electrode joke here.
How every Nuzlocke player feels when one of their Pokemon faints.

I'm starting to get a bit worried about Game Freak's employees. Are... they okay...?
Which is why we got to remember this is an issue with upper management and not everyone working at GF. Satoshi Tajiri, Ken Sugimori, Junichi Masuda, they are the top executives of the company thus are the ones to take the most blame. It was their choice to only have a studio of 200 people to make games of one of the most popular and profitable game franchises. They are the ones who ultimately decided a game of year. They are the ones who always keep discarding new mechanics. They are the ones who have now decided to cut half the dex. And if any GF employee had to suffer unfair crunch time which resulted in health issues, it's their fault too.

What's with GF and waifu nowadays?

(Get your wallets ready for the beach clothes and wedding dresses DLC!)

I think that's enough from me for right now, but before I go I do want to single out a certain post that has me most worried:

Now that Pokemon Home is announced, there's an implicit time limit on Pokemon Bank's lifespan, which means forward transfers from past gens are on the clock. Which means I've actually got to get around to mining them for cool and unique mons now.
So, when Bank was first introduced, in addition to me being annoyed we had to pay to transfer Pokemon ahead when before it was free, I was also worried that if they decide to close down bank that means we'd be creating the 2nd generation lockout since Gen III.

"But PikaNumbers, Bank is meant to be a future-proofing app. It'll update its servers for every generation and there's no reason for them to disconnect older generation compatability"

At least, that WAS the plan, maybe. However, then GF conceived the idea of Pokemon Home. While Bank connects to Pokemon Home, Home itself looks to be a server that holds Pokemon and you don't need Bank to transfer Pokemon from GO, Let's Go, and SwSh. So, as Maxx "Cringe" pointed out, now that Bank is no longer needed to connect the modern games some point down the line they can just close it!

But then I realized it wouldn't cause a 2nd generation lockout, it'll cause three!

Can't transfer Pokemon from BW/B2W2 to XY/ORAS.
Can't transfer Pokemon from XY/ORAS to SM/USUM.
And can't transfer Pokemon from SM/USUM to Gen VIII.

Now they probably won't close it this or next Gen, but I got a feeling when (or if) we hit Gen 10 that GF may start giving Bank some side glances...

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's been 6 years and I still don't know what the answer to the mystery of Mega Evolution was.
What was the question?

If you're talking about why it exists, its because the launching of the Ultimate Weapon released what has been dubbed as "Infinity Energy" into the atmosphere. Infinity Energy was made by draining the life force of Pokemon in order to use the power to resurrection, but also had just as much power to take life. That said Infinity Energy does naturally exist within the Pokemon World and if torn into can be siphoned that way. Groudon & Kyogre did such to Primal Revert originally and in recent time the Devon Corporation used Sea Mauville to drill into the planet to get this resource.

However that's far from the only mystery that XY left hanging. Who was that ghost girl we saw? Who wrote the message on the back of the train sign and why? What was with all those secluded locations (or blocked off in the case of the power plant)? Probably would have been answered in Z...

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I'm in agreement with the new designs. I'm very excited to see what Generation 8 brings us in terms of new Pokemon. Yamper and impdimp or whatever look awful in my opinion. They do however have the opportunity to evolve into something dope.
I personally hate Yamper (it just looks... dumb) but I like Impidimp. He looks like a little stinker and probably has a banger evo

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, um, I decided to watch the battle with Gym Leader Nessa when I noticed something which debunks a major theory we have:

Remember how we said the clouds around the Dynamaxed Pokemon's head probably are there to count the turns it has left? Well, that's wrong.

Throughout the battle the Dynamaxed Pokemon always has three clouds around its head. So on one hand, if Dynamaxed Pokemon are separate models that means there's only one... but on the other hand it also shows how pointless that would be as it means the clouds are just a "stationary" rotating ring of clouds so wouldn't be too difficult to just have it hanging above the Pokemon's model which would just be upsized.

But what are the point of the clouds then if they're not meant to be a visible cue to how many turns there's left of Dynamaxing? And I mean aside from lore, I'm talking more aesthetically. Is it supposed to make it look more impressive having those storm clouds circling above it? Like we're supposed to get the idea it's so big now it's reaching the sky? Well I feel that idea falls flat because we can perfectly see how big they are and, no, they're not reaching the sky, those are just magical storm clouds circling above it.

Also, finally watching a Dynamax battle in action... I am not the least bit impressed. It BARELY changes the battle it feels. Maybe they're hitting harder and taking hits better, but still Dynamaxed Wooloo needed to 2HKO a normal Goldeen and a normal Grookey did major damage against Dynamaxed Drednaw (and yes, I know it's quadruple weak to Grass-type moves, but that's my point. Even when big it still took a heavy hit so how is that impressive?).

And because of this I gotta compare them to Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, and how better they were. Mega Evolutions may not have made the Pokemon grow big but it completely changed the shape of the Pokemon, giving it a massive boost in stats and sometimes changing around some other traits like Type and/or Ability. When a Pokemon Mega Evolved it was a big deal as it became a major threat, even if you're able to do major damage to it you know it's now going to hit back hard (or its such a defensive powerhouse a super effective move barely scratches it). Z-Moves, while one-use, was so high powered that even a resisted one did major damage. Both also had more spectacle to them, the Mega Pokemon posing after Mega Evolving and the Z-Move animations being very elaborate (though I can see some thinking they took so long to do). The only elaborateness to Dynamaxing is the growing of the Poke Ball, otherwise it's just the Pokemon's model being upscaled and given a red glow around it (and the storm above and the three red clouds honestly barely register). The Max Moves look less impressive then Z-Moves as well, even if they have useful secondary effects.

Also, some other things I noticed:

5:13: So the League looks to have a mascot character, a person with a Poke Ball for a head.
5:38: How did no one report this? So apparently the Badges apparently fit onto the inside of this gold ring. If the Water Badge is anything to go by, the Badges are also gold pieces with a colored pattern on it representing the Type of Gym it's from. So does getting all the Badges fully fill in the ring to make it into a disk? If so some Badges would have to be bigger pieces, or maybe they form around the ring's inner edge leaving an empty space in the middle which gets filled in upon beating the Elite Four & Champion.
Another thing: according to this demo, Nessa would be the first Gym Leader. However, since the pieces just attach to the inner edge of the ring, maybe we do have a case of at some points getting to choose which Gym Leader you get to challenge. Now we'll have to see whether it's an actual choice or you're sent in a specific order depending on the Starter you pick, but eitherway this is all an intriguing way of doing the Gyms and Badges!

And because of this I gotta compare them to Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves, and how better they were. Mega Evolutions may not have made the Pokemon grow big but it completely changed the shape of the Pokemon, giving it a massive boost in stats and sometimes changing around some other traits like Type and/or Ability. When a Pokemon Mega Evolved it was a big deal as it became a major threat, even if you're able to do major damage to it you know it's now going to hit back hard (or its such a defensive powerhouse a super effective move barely scratches it). Z-Moves, while one-use, was so high powered that even a resisted one did major damage. Both also had more spectacle to them, the Mega Pokemon posing after Mega Evolving and the Z-Move animations being very elaborate (though I can see some thinking they took so long to do). The only elaborateness to Dynamaxing is the growing of the Poke Ball, otherwise it's just the Pokemon's model being upscaled and given a red glow around it (and the storm above and the three red clouds honestly barely register). The Max Moves look less impressive then Z-Moves as well, even if they have useful secondary effects.
I disgree with Dynamazing necessarily being worse than Megas and Z-moves, or at least worse than Z-moves. Megas were admittedly really cool, and breathed new life into stuff like Beedrill, Mawile, and Kangaskhan, but they got ahead of themselves and gave it to stuff that was already good like Metagross. Z-moves gave extra utility to moves like Conversion and Fly, but were disgustingly powerful on pretty much anything with a stat-boosting move.

Dynamaxing seems less focused on brute offense and more on utility. I'll admit that utility isn't the first thing I think of when I think of Kaiju Pokemon, but that's beside the point. It still offers extra utility to moves like Fly (not so much Conversion), and the fact that it doesn't require an item makes team building less restrictive, and battles less matchup dependent.

I feel like dynamaxing is going to get old very soon since your moves become a standard move. You have Max guard, a max elemental move, etc, all that do the same effects.
There's a Z-move of every type as well, and most of them have NO effects at all. Plus, you can only use one Z-move per battle, while you multiple different max moves per battle because of the three turn limit, and because all of a Pokemon's moves become max moves. The only thing Z-moves has over Dynamax are the status moves, most of which are forgettable.

There's a Z-move of every type as well, and most of them have NO effects at all. Plus, you can only use one Z-move per battle, while you multiple different max moves per battle because of the three turn limit, and because all of a Pokemon's moves become max moves. The only thing Z-moves has over Dynamax are the status moves, most of which are forgettable.
Z-Moves were certainly bad for this as well, so it's frustrating to see the repetitiveness transferred over here. One thing I would say though in defence of Z-Moves is that they had a very 'finishing move' feel to them; a one-time thing that you whipped out in a last-ditch attempt to defeat the opponent. This was helped by having a lot of effect and dynamic flair to them; which while repetitive the more you used them (something I would fix by having a hidden-away option somewhere to turn off Z-move animations), did still lend to the spectacle of it all.

Dynamax Moves are hurt by not having this spectacle to them; not having that amount of power behind them - as Pikachu notes, Wooloo fails to 2HKO a Goldeen - and even if they did have a lot more power, it would hurt the one-time all-out-attack feeling by having three turns. I feel most criticisms of Z-Moves and Mega Evolutions could be applied to Dynamax, but the difference being that Dynamax actually takes away pretty much everything interesting and positive about those mechanics and merging them into a big boring goop.

There's no style or flair or spectacle here. The Pokémon is big, it has more support potential, and that is it.

Continuing the ice derail, the melting rate difference has more to do with water having much higher thermal conductivity (and thermal capacity) than air. This is why water resists both fire and ice: it's a massive pain to heat or cool. One thing that ice does well is take EM/light radiation. It's transparent and reflective in the optical band, and the rigidity means it doesn't share water's weakness to the microwave band. Considering light is generally an uncommon attacking option except for Steel (where it occupies 100% of the special moves), Ice should thus resist Steel.
If I have to argue it, while Steel as Luster Cannon, it is the only light-based attack of that type that I can think of (and maybe few more I have missed) while everythin else damaging is about hitting your opponent with chunk of steel (Iron Head, Iron Tail, etc), which is what Steel is good at in doing away Ice.
Fairy, however, does have more attacks themed around lights. Now this actually makes more sense if they make Ice resist Fairy.

(If only to apply mental gymnastics just to believe GF isn't that... bad for lack of better words, which I honestly think myself to be depressingly pointless) I have a feeling that those clouds are supposed to represent the turns, but somehow did not, a technical failure as opposed of some random things to make Dmax looks awesome and fails at that. That wouldn't be surprising considering how we already have many special effects failure on the Levitate male trainer and his bag and also levitating random brick wall or stationary Wingulls.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
I’m pretty sure the clouds are just meant for dramatic effect. It would be pretty tragic for a major function of the clouds (counting turns) to be forgotten. Like floating trainer or clipping wall are pretty standard (albeit still embarrassing and worth giving them crap over) errors, this would require actual conscious oversight to not fix considering how common dynamaxing is

If I have to argue it, while Steel as Luster Cannon, it is the only light-based attack of that type that I can think of (and maybe few more I have missed) while everythin else damaging is about hitting your opponent with chunk of steel (Iron Head, Iron Tail, etc), which is what Steel is good at in doing away Ice.
Fairy, however, does have more attacks themed around lights. Now this actually makes more sense if they make Ice resist Fairy.
Fairy has the same number of light moves as steel (dazzling gleam, light of ruin, and moonlight compared to mirror shot, flash cannon, and doom desire). The difference is that Fairy has other options (e.g. moonblast), but every special steel move is light-based. Whether the special side should override the physical side in type match-ups is up for debate, but I would use Steel for when a 'light-type' is thematic but unavailible (and I belive it has been used for both Jirachi and Solgaleo)

Side note: other types with light based moves are grass (2, solarbeam and solarblade), normal (3, flash, spotlight and morning sun), ghost (1, moongeist beam) and psychic (3 or 5, luster purge, photon geyser, and prismatic laser, plus the possibility of light screen and reflect)

Also, finally watching a Dynamax battle in action... I am not the least bit impressed. It BARELY changes the battle it feels.
I like that, honestly. It feels like we're going back to gen 4 or 5 in terms of battle dynamics.

The major impact of Dynamax, I feel, will be to make reactive play more viable and thus make proactive play less important.

A major problem with OU play has been matchup dependence: too many of the important decisions are made before the battle starts, to the extent that a lot of matches are either decided at team preview or decided when one player incorrectly predicts which of a million possible sets a certain threat is using. By the time you actually know what the opponent's strategy is, it's often too late to stop it. Z-moves made this a lot worse by giving top-tier threats a whole array of ways to muscle past things that would normally be good answers. With Dynamax, decisions which are currently made during teambuilding (which Pokemon you're gonna use as your ace, how you're going to deal with specific threats) can be more feasibly made during play.

The lack of an item restriction is important for this, because items (and consequently megas and Z-moves) have to be chosen before play whereas your choice of Dynamax doesn't. Dynamax being at a lower power level is partly a result of this -- you can't have the mechanic be as powerful as megas or Z-moves if there isn't as big a cost associated with using it. But Dynamax's power level also benefits a more reactive play style, because it doesn't usually have enough raw power to be worth building your whole team around. Conversely, if you do decide to build around it, your opponent won't be as locked in to their strategy at team preview, and will thus have more options to counter whatever it is you're doing. (It's probably not a coincidence that every Dynamax move is cancelled out by another Dynamax move.)

I see three things that are made less potent by Dynamax:

1) Powerful setup sweepers. The defensive buff from Dynamax looks to generally be stronger than the offensive buff and you can't use status moves other than whatever Max Guard does, so a battle between two Dynamaxed Pokemon will be slower than current battles. That and the HP buffer generally make it harder for a setup sweeper to just OHKO your whole team, and certain Dynamax moves can directly reduce your opponent's stats or buff your defences to stop their momentum cold too.

Sure, there will be some Max moves which give offensive buffs, but they'll take time to accumulate and will be limited to certain types (and potentially stopped by immunities). I for one will be glad to see less games where a Pokemon gets one free turn, uses Extreme Geomancy Bellydance and then instantly TPKs the opponent.

2) Weather/terrain abilities. With so many Dynamax mons being able to change weather or terrain on the fly, that both gives you more options for setting the field effect and more options for your opponent to get rid of it. Weather and terrain abilities have completely dominated every meta they exist in with relatively little counterplay unless you've really prepared for it or are using a weather/terrain of your own, so this is a welcome change.

3) Constantly switching. Once you've Dynamaxed, you're committed, because switching out while Dynamaxed wastes your remaining turns of it. I'm undecided on whether this is a good thing or a bad thing.

I'll admit that the mechanical utility doesn't really match up with the aesthetic Dynamax has going on, but I guess that's easy for me to overlook because I much prefer the current implementation to the idea of a mechanic which is basically "you can use three Z-moves in a row and they're even more OP than before". Personally, my biggest annoyance with Dynamax is that some Max Moves are just clearly better than others, in a way that so far doesn't really seem designed to balance the types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)