Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

It works with Weakness Policy at least. Switch into Aqua Jet for +2 on Attack and Special Attack and +3 in Speed (it says "drastically" in the website screenshot). It's still situational at best, I guess.
At this point it's theorymon, but if the powercreep isnt going drastically down, you are not safely switching into Aqua Jet in a real scenario. You have to take 2 of those Aqua Jets, which in OU come in the form of CB or BD. It won't be switching into Hydropump or Rain Boosted Scalds/Surfs. It's similar to Palossand's in the sense that you gave it the ability to boost be receiving the most lethal attack type it can afford to. If the ability activated after Ground Type attack it would be better.

I know you're memeing, but depending on the stats and potential evolutions of that pokemon, Passho berry could be a viable option, allowing to flat out eat a water attack and then outspeed the turn after.
It needs not only the Speed Boost but the Attack boost too. If not, you could see already lots of high attack rock polish rock type Pokémon fulfillng the same role.

It needs not only the Speed Boost but the Attack boost too. If not, you could see already lots of high attack rock polish rock type Pokémon fulfillng the same role.
It depends on its stats / movesets of course, but a squishy Pokemon wouldn't really be able to eat even a unboosted water attack to survive the Weakness Policy activation to begin with.

If this game was 100% made with competitive scenario in mind, then I could have seen a squishy high attack pokemon benefitting from facetanking the attack with the berry and then proceed to do things with the speed boost.

But being it GameFreaks, it's hard to know what this pokemon will do (or evolve into) until later on.

There's something oddly satisfying about Rolycoly having not legs nor wings but a single wheel as mean of locomotion imho. Here's hoping it evolves into some sort of rocky automaton or a massive Rock engine with wheels.

Breedable Dialga doesn't look like the fastest of fellows with that blocky body it has, and low HP doesn't exactely ring any bells either.

Also, raise your hand if you thought that Allister was a girl.

It depends on its stats / movesets of course, but a squishy Pokemon wouldn't really be able to eat even a unboosted water attack to survive the Weakness Policy activation to begin with.

If this game was 100% made with competitive scenario in mind, then I could have seen a squishy high attack pokemon benefitting from facetanking the attack with the berry and then proceed to do things with the speed boost.

But being it GameFreaks, it's hard to know what this pokemon will do (or evolve into) until later on.
That's for sure. I've experience with theorymoning so i'll just stop now and focus on the new things they've shown =P

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
At this point it's theorymon, but if the powercreep isnt going drastically down, you are not safely switching into Aqua Jet in a real scenario. You have to take 2 of those Aqua Jets, which in OU come in the form of CB or BD. It won't be switching into Hydropump or Rain Boosted Scalds/Surfs. It's similar to Palossand's in the sense that you gave it the ability to boost be receiving the most lethal attack type it can afford to. If the ability activated after Ground Type attack it would be better.
It also gives you the boost when hit with a fire type move, so it's not a completely useless ability.
Also you could switch into really weak scalds like toxapex's if this thing's a special attacker.

It also gives you the boost when hit with a fire type move, so it's not a completely useless ability.
Also you could switch into really weak scalds like toxapex's if this thing's a special attacker.
Thing is Toxapex runs Haze so it doesn't matter if you switch in to gain a weakness policy or ability boost. And the thing about fire type moves is nobody is going to use them against you so you can only switch into them, gain a x3 speed boost and them boost with SD or CM? If CM, they better make an offensive rock move stronger than Power Gem. If physical, you already have Pokémon with impressive speed after x2 and high attack (rampardos, to say one).

Giving speed boost to the most susceptible type to priority moves in the game doesn't help either. No matter how fast it is, it's still weak to Match Punch, Aqua Jet, Vacuum Wave, Bullet Punch...

As a special bonus for purchasing the Dual Pack SteelBook® Edition, Trainers will receive two codes (one per game) that will reward them with special items known as Dynamax Crystals. By using the Dynamax Crystals in the Wild Area, Trainers will be able to face Dynamax Larvitar and Dynamax Jangmo-o, Pokémon that are normally encountered later in the game, in special Max Raid Battles. Larvitar won’t appear in Pokémon Sword and Jangmo-o won’t appear in Pokémon Shield during normal gameplay, but players will be able to catch them in either version by using these Dynamax Crystals.
Looks like we get to actually catch event Pokémon this time.

My thoughts on the mons:

I feel like I should be happy with the new reveals, since I've always been a fan of the more artificial ones. But Duraludon seems a lot more timid in that concept than all the ones from gen 5, let alone the on-theme UBs like Xurkitree. Maybe this isn't supposed to be an artifical-seeming mon, but then the lack of one is itself disappointing (If I recall correctly, honedge and klink were pretty early reveals for their respective gens, and I wasn't all that happy with how the archetype was pushed to the side in Alola). Fairy indifferent on slurpuff 2 (pun intended), and I'm hoping Rolycoly isn't the last we see of Steam Engine (either through another line or a differently-typed evolution, my desire for a true gen 8 artifice-mon may be a part of this). Maybe the teapot that is mentioned while I was typing this will fill my need.

On Gigantamax:

I'm not sure why they would put the restriction in place. With all the known users being gen 8 and the leak referencing NFEs, it casts doubt on the only real reason I can think of, wanting to restrict moves imported from earlier games (being untransferable and not exactly overpowered respectively. If it's correct that it is raid-locked, that's going to be a hot mess for competitive. I can already imagine the rage when you get two conflicting Synchonizers in a party (and I pray for those not using simulators that there exists an IV control for raids). It doesn't seem massive in VGC, where hazards aren't as big a deal and you might prefer the ability to win the weather/terrain war over the secondary effects (assuming it replaces the standard typed Max move), but I agree it likely outclasses normal Maxing in singles. Also, a giant cake with a barrier based on number of hits? Pokemon x SMRPG confirmed?

I'll say this to start: The presentation of Dynamax/Gigantamax is, at least on paper, a much more streamlined, intelligent and focused way of doing both Mega Evolutions and Z-Moves. In terms of Megas; one of the bigger complaints was that only a select few Pokémon species had them. Even trimming down the numbers to only count fully-evolved Pokémon, this is ultimately going to leave people disappointed. This gimmick is a lot smarter in that while there's still only a fair few Pokémon that outright get new form changes, EVERY Pokémon can get some sort of power-up off of it so they're not left in the dust. In addition, while I have little doubt that we will as always see a focus on Gen 1 Pokémon, it's great to see that they're letting the new Pokémon get in on the action right away and showing them front and center first, rather than waiting an age to give one Mega each to Unova and Kalos.

Z-Moves as well are practically folded into this -- Dynamax's moves take the place of the type-specific Z-Moves while Giga Moves take the place of the signature one. Making it part of Dyna/Gigantamax also lessens the power creep of having both a Mega and a Z-move user on your team at once.

I still, however, am left disappointed by the execution. Going by precedence, a lack of time to create models and actual statements made; we know that they're not going to retcon Mega Evolutions to be Gigantamaxes, even though this would have been a great way to balance them out and instantly increase the available library of Gigantamax 'mon. I also must echo previous criticisms of the gimmick that this news does not necessarily solve -- the visual presentation of a heavy red aura and the clouds in addition to the storm is gaudy at best and often looks hideous; while the only stat buff apparently being to HP is a little lame. It would have been better to give different stat buffs depending on the Pokémon -- I'm certainly not saying to tailor stats exactly for every single Pokémon; but perhaps there's different groups that get a Speed buff from it, and others that get a Defence buff instead. I will hold out hope that the as of now mysterious Dynamax Levels go some way in resolving this, but I'm still rather lukewarm on many aspects of the gimmick even though many things here are fantastic on paper if they committed more to it and had a lot more time to work on the game.

Also, this guy 100% looks like a Motobug from Sonic. Will be very disappointed if it using Tackle does not result in rings bursting out of your Pokémon.

We are not and it also appears to remove terrains, so it very well might be buffed Giga Defog.
It's also one of the only two mechanics known so far that remove a terrain, the other being the nolongeravailable Lycanroc exclusive Z-move.

Which, could have some relevance in a game where technically every pokemon is able to set up a terrain.

G-Max Wind Rage isn't Damage Defog, it's buffed Rapid Spin.

"Flying-type moves used by Gigantamax Corviknight will change to G-Max Wind Rage. G-Max Wind Rage deals damage to an opponent, but that’s not all—it will also remove any effects of moves like Reflect, Light Screen, Spikes, and Electric Terrain that the opponents may have!"

Definitely an interesting option for teams that don't want to lose their own hazards.

All y'all are talking about Rolycoly tanking Water hits with Weakness Policy or Passho Berry, and missing that the ability also procs when hit with a Fire move, which Rolycoly not only resists, but can hit super effectively in return. Think of it sort of like Justified on Lucario. The wheel seems to indicate that Rolycoly will be somewhat fast, so it could be pretty scary once it gets its speed boost, especially depending on how big the boost is.

Also, I just realized something. If Gigantamax Pikachu is really a thing, it will likely be able to hold a Light Ball. Arceus help us.

All y'all are talking about Rolycoly tanking Water hits with Weakness Policy or Passho Berry, and missing that the ability also procs when hit with a Fire move, which Rolycoly not only resists, but can hit super effectively in return. Think of it sort of like Justified on Lucario. The wheel seems to indicate that Rolycoly will be somewhat fast, so it could be pretty scary once it gets its speed boost, especially depending on how big the boost is.
It doesn't even have to be fast. Just not very slow. Since the screenshot says that Rolycoly's Speed rose "drastically", then it's at least a +3 boost.

As a reference, if it has base 72 Speed, at +3 it can outspeed Excadrill in sand with a neutral nature (base 61 with a positive nature). Not that it's a good reference (since Rolycoly would not be able to do much in the first place against Excadrill given their typings) but it's a reference nonetheless.

Last edited:

Also, I just realized something. If Gigantamax Pikachu is really a thing, it will likely be able to hold a Light Ball. Arceus help us.
We are not missing anything. Nobody is going to use a Fire type move against Rolycoly, which means he can't get a boost in Atk/SpA and Speed in the same turn, which is what this is all about. It's more like Electivire, it needs to switch in. Also the "can hit super effectively in return" don't compute; yes, if your opponent decides to leave his Fire Type Pokémon in the battlefield after you've switched into Rolycoly you can hit him, that's for sure, but it doesn't make a point.

I can only see this thing putting in work if its Atk is so over the top that a CBand allows him to break through a standard OU team with ease by spamming rock stab. Then you only need to switch into a fire move and take the Speed Boost. For WP sets Fire Moves won't work and Water Moves are a no-no to switch in or even take head on. That, or they give it SD, in that case it should be possible to get a +3 in speed just by switching in andd explode the opposing team by SDing after. That could be dangerous too.

Now that we have Gigantamax confirmed, I guess we can also pretty much agree Charizard is gaining a new form. Game adds a feature where pokemon changes form and the champion's ace is an old gen mon? Sounds Diantha to me.
With the difference that the Champion is known as such the whole time.

Now that we have Gigantamax confirmed, I guess we can also pretty much agree Charizard is gaining a new form. Game adds a feature where pokemon changes form and the champion's ace is an old gen mon? Sounds Diantha to me.
My hope would be that they just reuse the Mega-X evo for the gigantamax form. It’s different enough from the base form and looks good. Why waste time and resources on designing a new form?

Also, do we know how long Gigantamax lasts? Is it the same amount as Dynamax (3 turns)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 6)