Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

My hope would be that they just reuse the Mega-X evo for the gigantamax form. It’s different enough from the base form and looks good. Why waste time and resources on designing a new form?
That's it. That's the kind of question you, as a player who's going to pay for the product, should be doing to yourself. This, this is the kind of actitude that will make you an excelent member of Game Freak.

Now that they've ripped off Mega Evolution, why would I want a new design for a Pokémon that is going to get a new form no matter what, when they can just re-use -as if this game wasn't about reusing already- a pre-existent one.

Me, personally, can't wait to see a Mega Evolution that i've been playing with since 2013 now that they have the opportunity to give me, at least, an original new design. Keep doing great, and never let anyone put down your attitude.

Rolycoly is such a cutie; I would not be surprised if it were to hold a Charcoal in a wild battle. As for its abilities, I guess we have to wait until we know more about its (possible) evolution and stats. While I agree Heatproof seems to be redundant at first, there's the chance that its evolution may gain or change into a steel type, so it would resist fire moves or take neutral damage. I really hope it's not just another case of Thick Fat Azumarill although it would make sense flavour wise.
Now, Steam Engine sounds quite interesting, so I expect Rolycoly and its evolution line to be slow and bulky enough to survive most effective moves against it.

Then, we have Duraludon. It has a cool unique type combination only shared by Dialga, and the best thing is it's a non legendary Pkm, so you can likely use it in Monotype if it's not too overcentralising.
When I saw its abilities, I thought Duraludon could benefit from the Heavy Slam gimmick, but given its weight ... it will most likely use Light Metal or its unknown Hidden Ability if it's good. If I had to take a guess, I'd say it's Heatproof because aluminium resists fire very well or it's a new ability.
Personally, I don't think it will evolve anymore (it's a basic or an evolution Pkm) as it often faces Tyrannitar, and I think you have to be strong enough to deal with it.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I really really hope it is not, but things are looking grim. Zard already have two megas, it still needs even more?!
Then again Megas aren't a thing anymore, so I guess this our man's consolation prize.

ok now for general thoughts on stuff revealed

New Pokemon
Yamper:
not new but official artwork and extra lore is adorable, what a good boy
Alcremie: Cute little food mon, I like it, way better than virgin Slurpuff, especially with such an epic Gigantamax form. Also

"Alcremie can produce whipped cream, which becomes richer the happier Alcremie is feeling."

game over

Rolycoly: Another cool mon. Lots of potential for neat evolutions like a train or a minecart. Steam Engine sounds hysterical for potential WP sets
Duraludon: My favorite of the new batch if Yamper is excluded. Its a design is weird in a cool way, very different from anything else we've seen so far. Can't really trace what it's based on, really. Also, a non-Uber Steel/Dragon in itself sounds like a cool niche. Can't wait to see what they'll do with this man

Gym Leaders
Bea:
I would type something here, but it would end up being very uncomfortable and embarrassing so I'll stop myself.
Allister: nice ghost guy

Gigantamaxing
I like it, especially big-ass cake Alcremie as stated earlier. Also Drednaw is Gamera and you can't change my mind. Maybe they could use this to keep old Mega designs around, who knows.

My hope would be that they just reuse the Mega-X evo for the gigantamax form. It’s different enough from the base form and looks good. Why waste time and resources on designing a new form?

Also, do we know how long Gigantamax lasts? Is it the same amount as Dynamax (3 turns)?
Problem is... it'll look like they're lazy too if they do recycle Mega-X like that even if it is efficient, as... you know.

We have no indication that GMax alters type, so it might not work well for several megas. Likewise, we have no indication it changes ability, so it might not work well for several other megas. Theoretically, you could use the move changes to replicate aerialate/pixilate/glaciate (because flying STAB on a HP boosted Moxie Salamence is completely reasonable), but that still wouldn't work for other ability-reliant mons like Mawile or Sableye.

You know, as someone who likes pokemon based on the inspirations for said pokemon I can't help but hate Alcremie

I mean it's cute but it's a little too Liligant and, more to the point, it's based on nothing
I'm on record of having disapproved of Swirlix when it was revealed too, but I did change my mind on it once the in-game model showed it's paws and the side that shows its poodle inspiration ('cause poodles look like cotton candy dontchaknow) but until someone shows me some sort of myht about patisserie fairies or some such I'm calling this a bad design

a shame 'cause the rest of the designs are pretty good, at least so far; I mean Impidimp's a goblin, it be a crime to portray the UK without goblins
then again the rest tend towards serviceable rather than good, did we realy need another snapping turtle? Corviknight is a raven not a crow so that's cool but a corgie? a coal pokemon is cool tough and Mechagodzilla having a rivalry with Godzilla is awesome, I'd love it if it only where a split evolution

oh, and I hate the fact that Bea's has at lest some muscle definition in her art, but is just yet another shoeless fighting girl in her model

and Gigantamax is completely unnecessary but you knew that already

Last edited:
We are not missing anything. Nobody is going to use a Fire type move against Rolycoly, which means he can't get a boost in Atk/SpA and Speed in the same turn, which is what this is all about. It's more like Electivire, it needs to switch in. Also the "can hit super effectively in return" don't compute; yes, if your opponent decides to leave his Fire Type Pokémon in the battlefield after you've switched into Rolycoly you can hit him, that's for sure, but it doesn't make a point.

I can only see this thing putting in work if its Atk is so over the top that a CBand allows him to break through a standard OU team with ease by spamming rock stab. Then you only need to switch into a fire move and take the Speed Boost. For WP sets Fire Moves won't work and Water Moves are a no-no to switch in or even take head on. That, or they give it SD, in that case it should be possible to get a +3 in speed just by switching in andd explode the opposing team by SDing after. That could be dangerous too.
Yeah, it has to switch into a Fire type attack to get its boost, but my point about it potentially hitting for super effective damage is that it can effectively threaten and force out whatever attacked it with its STAB. That's why I compared it to Justified Lucario. Electivire may be able to switch into Electric attacks with ease, but the best it can do in return is a non-STAB Earthquake. I don't see Weakness Policy being viable, unless this thing is so thicc that it can comfortably take a Water attack, in which case either its speed or power will probably be rubbish. Though if it gets a boosting move, I can see Passho being viable, now that I think about it more.

Speaking of boosting moves, even if it doesn't get Swords Dance, I could easily see this thing getting at least Sharpen. I could also maaaybe see it getting Shift Gear, but in that case, Heatproof would probably be preferred.

Also, remember how some people (or at least me) were saying that purely defensive mons wouldn't get much benefit from Dynamaxing because it would cut off its access to recovery? Well, in comes the giant cake, which not only supposedly boasts very high physical defense, but also gets (probably) three turns to spam a high-power Fairy move that heals your entire team! We don't yet know how the healing amount is determined, though.

Are we all agree that the president or Liv are bad guys ?
I immediately thought the chairman looked sleazy, and after reading the website information, he seems even more suspicious. Not only did he sponsor Leon, who many people are assuming to be a fraud, but this guy was also the one to implement Dynamaxing into Gym Battles. You know that mysterious phenomena that turns Pokemon into kaiju? Yeah, let's harness that power to make them fight in crowded stadiums that barely fit them.

That said, having him be evil seems like it would be kind of a rehash of Lusamine, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Has it been confirmed Gigantamax has the same opportunity cost as Dynamax?
We don't know anything about it other than it's same animation as Dynamax and that it's a different version of Dynamax so I think it's safe to assume it has same limitations as far as 3 turns do

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So, I noticed a detail which I don't think anyone has pointed out yet.

Pokemon-specific move particle effects/animations? This was a move shown off in the trailer, and I'm 99% sure it's Play Nice. Alcremie's entry on the website doesn't mention a signature move, and the particles are way too similar to elements of its design to just be a coincidence.

At first I thought that Alcremie was just a Slurpuff knock-off, but after closer examination, I'm not so sure. It seems to be a lot closer than comparisons like Corviknight/Skarmory and Eldegoss/Whimsicott.

Alcremie is a Pokemon that shares not only Swirlix's dessert concept and Fairy typing, but also several design elements and, most interestingly, Swirlix's quasi-signature ability in a region where Swirlix has also been confirmed to be in the Regional Dex, and a credible rumor suggests some form of Cross-gen Evos.
I think that if they were going to put two independent, fluffy berry and cream dessert-themed Fairy types in the same game, they would have given one a different ability or clearer differences in color-pallet. Even Luvdisc and Alomomola had distinct regular abilities in Gen V and didn't both appear in the BW dex.

All things considered, I think there is a fair possibility that Alcremie somehow connects to the Swirlix line, which opens up some exciting potentials for other lines wanting a new evolution.

Found something kinda weird about Sword/Shield unrelated to the recent reveals.

During Nintendo Treehouse we got to see some demos; and one of the Pokémon usable in those was Lucario. At about 17:28 in this video, the player has Lucario use Power-Up Punch -- and strangely, it uses its animation that's usually used for special moves like Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball.

A friend just brought it up to me, and it stuck out as weird because I distinctly remember Lucario having punching animations in Gen 6/7. A bit confused, I loaded up Ultra Sun and brought in a Lucario that knew the move to use it, and sure enough; it used a punching animation for Power-Up Punch. This got me slightly worried -- did this mean that not only is importing Pokémon difficult for Game Freak, but they're going to have to leave behind some animations as well?

... well... no, apparently, because here's where it gets weird: we've seen Lucario use a punching animation in Sword/Shield before. In the very first trailer, at about 1:40.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. Maybe it's just an error in the demo? It seems weird that they'd connect the wrong moves to the wrong animations when there's so very few to get right in the demo, though.

Found something kinda weird about Sword/Shield unrelated to the recent reveals.

During Nintendo Treehouse we got to see some demos; and one of the Pokémon usable in those was Lucario. At about 17:28 in this video, the player has Lucario use Power-Up Punch -- and strangely, it uses its animation that's usually used for special moves like Aura Sphere and Shadow Ball.

A friend just brought it up to me, and it stuck out as weird because I distinctly remember Lucario having punching animations in Gen 6/7. A bit confused, I loaded up Ultra Sun and brought in a Lucario that knew the move to use it, and sure enough; it used a punching animation for Power-Up Punch. This got me slightly worried -- did this mean that not only is importing Pokémon difficult for Game Freak, but they're going to have to leave behind some animations as well?

... well... no, apparently, because here's where it gets weird: we've seen Lucario use a punching animation in Sword/Shield before. In the very first trailer, at about 1:40.

I'm not entirely sure what to make of this. Maybe it's just an error in the demo? It seems weird that they'd connect the wrong moves to the wrong animations when there's so very few to get right in the demo, though.
Have we actually seen any contact moves targeted at Dyna/Giga Pokémon?
Maybe they are too big and "far away" so everything gets treated and displayed as a projectile because Game Freak for some reason?

View attachment 184998
Pokemon-specific move particle effects/animations? This was a move shown off in the trailer, and I'm 99% sure it's Play Nice. Alcremie's entry on the website doesn't mention a signature move, and the particles are way too similar to elements of its design to just be a coincidence.
Eh, it doesn't have to be play nice. They could be pulling another SM and giving every new mon either a unique ability or a signature move.

Have we actually seen any contact moves targeted at Dyna/Giga Pokémon?
Maybe they are too big and "far away" so everything gets treated and displayed as a projectile because Game Freak for some reason?
Could very well be what Nelson said. Contact animations sure would look pretty... weird on pokemon that are alone bigger than the battlefield.

View attachment 184998
Play Nice however shows both Pokemon interacting and jumping around. This one's probably either a signature move or something sweet-related common to fairies and such...or maybe I'm just dead wrong and they bothered implementing a new animation for it.

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.

Do we have any idea who Raihan is?
Oh I'm sure Raihan will be revealed in a later trailer or in the game itself, I can guarantee it.

Anyways though, glad to see this thread back so uhh I've got some opinions to share about this new trailer.

First off, that cake Pokemon reminds me of the Swirlix line.
Also, feel the same way about the new form of Dynamax: Just Pokemon but bigger.
And up until now, I thought "you know, I hardly care for Galgar's gym leaders", and while I feel this way about the fighting girl, I really seem to like the ghost one. It's the only ghost type gym leader we had that actually feels like it specializes in ghosts. Fantina was just a fashionist, and Morty just felt like your average guy (minus when he said he saw him self getting to Ho-oh, but that has hardly anything to do with ghosts) but this ghost gym leader changes that. Has that mask, the way the dude got dressed up, and may feel even more like it when we see the game in action ourselves when the game comes out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)