Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You know, I’ve been wondering if the limited Pokémon per game is gonna be a norm, I’m wondering how Legendary and Mythical Pokémon will be handled. Will a certain handful be available per game without justification? Or will they just be discontinued?
Most likely the former, though, rather, with a "reasoning". Like, Tapus wouldn't really make sense to exist in Galar region, but I can see a good reasoning for the 4 justicars and even Keldeo for example since they're based on Knights and Galar is based on UK (I mean, we even get CorviKNIGHT).
We also know that Meltan is (nearly) guaranteed to be in this game.

Future remakes obviously will include their own legendaries + whatever extra they can find fitting.

Plus, certain Mythical and Legendary pokemon are also loved by fans, so actually discontinuing them would probably end up hurting the franchise in long run.
Also, let's keep in mind they just said Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex are in the game. That's a very obtuse statement if you think about it because, while it may not have all the Pokemon in it, that doesn't mean every Pokemon that's in the Galar Dex will be available during main game. What I mean by this? Maybe within the Galar Dex itself there's a "Regional Dex" and an "Expanded Dex". Regional Dex is for main game completion, all the Pokemon in it you can encounter during main game and you need to complete it to get the Oval and Shiny Charms. Expanded Dex becomes available post game and would include dozens of more Pokemon that had no place during main game but GF felt should be included in Gen VIII's meta. Now while the com mons may be made catchable in some way, the Expanded Dex would also be where any Mythicals and foreign Legendaries they felt including would be.

I definitely feel that the Pokédex is going to be very similar to Alola's -- everything is in it, but there's a lot of things you can't get until the aftergame. SM had many; Lucario, Dragonite, Scizor...

Also, let's keep in mind they just said Pokemon in the Galar Pokedex are in the game. That's a very obtuse statement if you think about it because, while it may not have all the Pokemon in it, that doesn't mean every Pokemon that's in the Galar Dex will be available during main game. What I mean by this? Maybe within the Galar Dex itself there's a "Regional Dex" and an "Expanded Dex". Regional Dex is for main game completion, all the Pokemon in it you can encounter during main game and you need to complete it to get the Oval and Shiny Charms. Expanded Dex becomes available post game and would include dozens of more Pokemon that had no place during main game but GF felt should be included in Gen VIII's meta. Now while the com mons may be made catchable in some way, the Expanded Dex would also be where any Mythicals and foreign Legendaries they felt including would be.
A cool way for introducing some Pkm from the Expanded Dex would be tourists! The Galar region makes it seem as if entertainment is very important. That in combination with some of the appealing cities might make tourists want to come to the Galar region. I wouldn't be surprised if they wish to have some of the Pkm they've never seen before, especially since they don't exist in any other region.
Due to some events in nature, Pkm that normally don't live in Galar may make an appearance. Would be nice if they mentioned that. Or did they in SM/USUM?
I'm pretty sure there're many ways to introduce those Pkm from the Extended Dex.

On another note, I remember some people worrying about the limited dex and with it the limited "egg movepool". I'd say the fact you can approach Pkm may indicate you might be able to use the DexNav feature from ORAS? If that were the case, we probably wouldn't have to worry about breeding in spite of the limited dex!

On another note, I remember some people worrying about the limited dex and with it the limited "egg movepool". I'd say the fact you can approach Pkm may indicate you might be able to use the DexNav feature from ORAS? If that were the case, we probably wouldn't have to worry about breeding in spite of the limited dex!
The limited egg movepool is only a issue until Home launches.

Since a pokemon can pass egg moves to itself, all you'd need is to import a pokemon with those moves from gen 7 and breed them down.

The limited egg movepool is only a issue until Home launches.

Since a pokemon can pass egg moves to itself, all you'd need is to import a pokemon with those moves from gen 7 and breed them down.
Something good out of the Galar Dex could be some new Egg move / combinations via new mons having either the right move, the right Egg group combination, or both.
Imagine a Field / Amorphous Pokemon. Now that could open up a lot of possibilities for everyone thanks to Smeargle...
Actually, any new egg group combination that allows Smeargle would be amazing. Too bad we have to cross our fingers and sacrifice newborn 6 IV shinies in order to maybe have the poodle included in the dex.

Well, Smeargle isn't confirmed for SwSh just yet. I think the only Pokémon you could really guarantee in terms of breeding would be Ditto, but I would't hold your breath on Smeargle.

"Previously announced for Amazon in Japan, we now have confirmation that in MediaMarkt & Carrefour in Spain, if you pre-order the games and are among the first 300 to pre-order, you'll receive a code to gain access to the special Gold Studded backpacks in the game. "

- Serebii

So much has been said about Dexit but why is no-one talking about the sheer amount of exclusive pre-order bonuses there are and how ludicrous they are

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
"Previously announced for Amazon in Japan, we now have confirmation that in MediaMarkt & Carrefour in Spain, if you pre-order the games and are among the first 300 to pre-order, you'll receive a code to gain access to the special Gold Studded backpacks in the game. "

- Serebii

So much has been said about Dexit but why is no-one talking about the sheer amount of exclusive pre-order bonuses there are and how ludicrous they are
I'm sure there's already been 300 pre-orders. Really scummy regardless though

- Serebii

Maybe it’s because Pre-Order bonuses are pretty meh.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

- Serebii

I mentioned it a while back and yeah, it's getting a bit crazy. There's like 4 exclusive deals, at least two which offer a customization bonus. One is this gold stubbed backpack, another is a full track suit set.

And yes:
1. it's all cosmetic.
2. personally I think don't look that great.
3. they've had preorder bonuses before.

But:
1 & 2. Sure it's all cosmetic and they don't look good... but what if they did look good and I wanted both? Right now it's "fine", but if this becomes common practice there may come a time when they start offering really good stuff as pre-orders and you're forced to give one up. There's no guarantee these items are in the game without the pre-order, if so then fine no problem pick the one you want early, but rarely a pre-order bonus is like this (if it is offered later it's usually via DLC, but if Pokemon starts offering clothing DLC for money I would want more interesting stuff then this and would have to be worth it).

3. They've had them before but not this many. There's are at least four I know of and if you want them all you'd have to pre-order the game four times: The gold backpack, the track suit set, the early Tyranitar/Deino Raid Battle, and offer of a dozen Poke Balls from the start. I got to pick and choose ONE of these. "Well obviously the clothing is the best option". Yes, but in addition to my above argument about the problem being two clothing pre-orders there's also the issue of if you're living someplace that one or two of these options aren't available? What if you wanted the track suit but you don't live near the store that's exclusively selling it? Oh well, tough luck, how dare you like a pre-order bonus you have no way of getting, pick one of the "lesser" ones in your eyes.
Also the early Tyranitar/Deino Raid Battle has be particularly annoyed because something like that would normally have been an early Wi-Fi event like the Speed Boost Torchic in XY, the Shiny Beldum in ORAS, Snorlaxium Z Munchlax in SM, or the Dusk Rockruff in USUM. I didn't need to pre-order anything to get those, I just had to buy the game when it came out and was awarded with a cool Pokemon to start my journey with. And while they may still do this with another Pokemon, it probably won't be a pseudo Legendary basic stage.
Also slippery slope argument again: sure, you can get a Larvitar and Deino later, but then in a future game they may give out a Pokemon you can't catch till post game and maybe even later give out a Pokemon you can't get period without transferring it from a past game (or getting it from the GTS). And if that's on top of there being multiple offers for exclusive clothing options you may not be able to get in the game otherwise: do you take the cosmetic or the one that gives you an in-game advantage?

"You're being a doom sayer! All of this stuff is in the game and all these pre-orders are doing is giving you early access. GF have been so opposed to DLC and pre-order exclusive bonuses they wouldn't do any of the above things said"

We also said they wouldn't do a culling of Pokemon and here we are with Dexit and no more Mega Evolutions (and Z-Moves). And this may be true right now, but Game Freak and the Pokemon Company are still a business and we've seen businesses liking to push their limits to see how much they can get away with to make money. As fans it's our duty to push back when they go to far... though it is feeling that's working less and less...

Also the early Tyranitar/Deino Raid Battle has be particularly annoyed because something like that would normally have been an early Wi-Fi event like the Speed Boost Torchic in XY, the Shiny Beldum in ORAS, Snorlaxium Z Munchlax in SM, or the Dusk Rockruff in USUM. I didn't need to pre-order anything to get those, I just had to buy the game when it came out and was awarded with a cool Pokemon to start my journey with. And while they may still do this with another Pokemon, it probably won't be a pseudo Legendary basic stage.
I would mention that while those were tecnically unique gifts that you weren't able to get in other ways (you could breed some of those but wouldn't be in the Cherish Ball), the raid Larvi/Deino have nothing special other than being available earlier than normally in the game.

Again, I don't really see the fuss about preorder bonus. It's stuff companies have been doing for a decade, Pokemon isn't exactly the first, and I don't really see any issue in it.
After all, the main reason to give a preorder bonus is to incentivize people to preorder a game that you don't know the content of yet, rather than wait to see if you liked it or not.

I mentioned it a while back and yeah, it's getting a bit crazy. There's like 4 exclusive deals, at least two which offer a customization bonus. One is this gold stubbed backpack, another is a full track suit set.

And yes:
1. it's all cosmetic.
2. personally I think don't look that great.
3. they've had preorder bonuses before.

But:
1 & 2. Sure it's all cosmetic and they don't look good... but what if they did look good and I wanted both? Right now it's "fine", but if this becomes common practice there may come a time when they start offering really good stuff as pre-orders and you're forced to give one up. There's no guarantee these items are in the game without the pre-order, if so then fine no problem pick the one you want early, but rarely a pre-order bonus is like this (if it is offered later it's usually via DLC, but if Pokemon starts offering clothing DLC for money I would want more interesting stuff then this and would have to be worth it).

3. They've had them before but not this many. There's are at least four I know of and if you want them all you'd have to pre-order the game four times: The gold backpack, the track suit set, the early Tyranitar/Deino Raid Battle, and offer of a dozen Poke Balls from the start. I got to pick and choose ONE of these. "Well obviously the clothing is the best option". Yes, but in addition to my above argument about the problem being two clothing pre-orders there's also the issue of if you're living someplace that one or two of these options aren't available? What if you wanted the track suit but you don't live near the store that's exclusively selling it? Oh well, tough luck, how dare you like a pre-order bonus you have no way of getting, pick one of the "lesser" ones in your eyes.
Also slippery slope argument again: sure, you can get a Larvitar and Deino later, but then in a future game they may give out a Pokemon you can't catch till post game and maybe even later give out a Pokemon you can't get period without transferring it from a past game (or getting it from the GTS). And if that's on top of there being multiple offers for exclusive clothing options you may not be able to get in the game otherwise: do you take the cosmetic or the one that gives you an in-game advantage?

"You're being a doom sayer! All of this stuff is in the game and all these pre-orders are doing is giving you early access. GF have been so opposed to DLC and pre-order exclusive bonuses they wouldn't do any of the above things said"

We also said they wouldn't do a culling of Pokemon and here we are with Dexit and no more Mega Evolutions (and Z-Moves). And this may be true right now, but Game Freak and the Pokemon Company are still a business and we've seen businesses liking to push their limits to see how much they can get away with to make money. As fans it's our duty to push back when they go to far... though it is feeling that's working less and less...
I'd like to expand a little bit about the point you made about "it's just cosmetic" (otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with the rest of your post, and I concur on the fact that we are in a needle on the coffin situation).

Pokemon has probably always been and RPG, as it revolves around creating YOUR OWN team, that YOU identify with, on your own adventure that will differ in terms of unique moments, turning points, etc... from everyone else's.

With character customization (which was long overdue), we have expanded on the aforementioned idea. But part of RPGs, and an integral one I might add, is how cool you look and you cool you are when experiencing your adventure. In RPGs, I would argue from my perspective cosmetics are not "just cosmetics". One of the coolest things I had to aim for in USUM is the dojo karate outfit, rewarded upon dex completion.

All in all, it's a little issue, but when faced with all other borderline lackadaisical stuff we have had to put on in the last weeks it really feels like a "let's try to squeeze as much money as we can and see with how much we can get away with" situation.

I would mention that while those were tecnically unique gifts that you weren't able to get in other ways (you could breed some of those but wouldn't be in the Cherish Ball), the raid Larvi/Deino have nothing special other than being available earlier than normally in the game.

Again, I don't really see the fuss about preorder bonus. It's stuff companies have been doing for a decade, Pokemon isn't exactly the first, and I don't really see any issue in it.
After all, the main reason to give a preorder bonus is to incentivize people to preorder a game that you don't know the content of yet, rather than wait to see if you liked it or not.
Your last point is something I feel is worth discussing about. Why would you purchase a game you are skeptical about? Or, maybe, the right question could be, "why a developer has to encourage early purchases? Maybe they fear turnover tanking after reviews?" Now, this is a point of contention, but in the current situation it raises (and should raise) more than an eyebrow.

In recent years in the gaming industry we have had a plethora of broken promises, scammy microtransaction based game development, and under-achievements/under-deliveries.

In such a state (and it pains me more than I can express to talk about a pokemon game in these terms) throwing preorder bonuses left and right to an audience that is growing wearier by the day is not exactly brilliant PR.

Usually, preorders are looked at as a tool to either (or both) boost expectations or get early revenues (especially important in case of financially troubling periods, something I'd reckon we are not dealing with here, in all likelihood).

However, given the recent letdowns in much-hyped games, the general gaming audience has turned a critical eye to preorder bonuses, as such features have sometimes been associated with games that underdeliver, and you know what practice is best for marketing a game that could possibly tank? To suck people in with time (or exclusive) -based rewards, so that once the reviews are out, part of the audience has already purchased their copies.

Now, as someone who writes business plans as part of his job, I fully understand the value of early revenues and anticipated turnover that can ultimately also boost future content, don't get me wrong. It's a valid argument but a franchise with so much goodwill as Pokemon can use this to a way better extent.

Not to say that there aren't great games with preorders and exclusives, because there really are (or that preorders can be marketed way better than this), but you can see that due to 1) general state of gaming and 2) Dexit and 1-game-per-year statements, people are looking at this with a skeptical eye.

Just have a look at CD Project Red's message on whether you should preorder Cyberpunk 2077 or not to see how you can leverage goodwill to an engaged fanbase: it is blatantly stated that preorders are a huge help for them, but they also clearly say that, should you wait for reviews before spending your hard-earned money, they fully understand.

Last edited:
I hope they at least make it so Dynamax Pokemon can't be forcibly switched out. Dynamax in VGC seems like it will barely be impactful if, under normal circumstances, a Pokemon will only have one active turn with it up before the condition wears off because it's flinch-locked, stalled out with Protect/Max Guard or phased out. It would be pretty lame if the meta was swimming with hard counters to what is supposed to be the signature mechanic of the generation.
Thats what u get when your main mechanic is born from lazyness.

So if a mechanic is strong enough to be impactful, it's broken and overpowered, but if it has some reliable counterplay that rewards good teambuilding, it's born from lazyness and bad.

How could they not see this!
Now search for the text in where I have said that sentence.

Is this the level? Because this falacies don't work in any mid-serious spanish site, I can tell you that, and it will not work here either. Maybe with some of the people you know, but not with me.

Let me rephrase the argument. "So if a mechanic is trong enough to be impactful, it's broken andd overpowered, but..." But silence and don't say anything more, for this argument consists on a false premise.

Try harder.

I'm unsure you really deserve a serious answer, but I'll be a educated person and will.

Dynamax offers lot of flexibility, in both directions. There is definitely counterplay to it, as well as there's counter/counterplay.

One of the many things Dynamaxed pokemon can do is set terrains. If the enemy plan is blatantly to chainFakeOut the Dynamaxed pokemon, you can use Psychic terrain (Psychic coverage is super common) to deny it. Other way around, you can replace your enemy terrain in order to fake out or status his.

Dynamax is probably one of the most balanced and interesting "gen mechanics" introduced, due to both the flexibility of being able to pick what to Dynamax (meaning, you're not forced to have one and only one Mega or Z-user in your team and bringing 2 doesn't magically make one of your pokemon itemless), and option to use different Dyna-optimized pokemon based on your own and enemy team plan.
AND the existence of Gigamax also allows some more exploration as there might be further Pokemon that have the "mega mawile" treatment of being completely unviable on their own but strong if Dynamaxed, which in VGC is not bad because it's a "bring 4 out of 6" so you're still not punished for having one of those in your team and not needing it.

I know you're literally just trolling since all your posts on this topic has been complaints and insults to SwSh in this or that way, I'd encourage you to start providing context to your claims rather than calling a mechanic "lazy" without a reason.

(oh btw, just adding that my sentence is in perfect English, i'm sorry sir)

(oh btw, just adding that my sentence is in perfect English, i'm sorry sir)
Your whole argument is founded in the sole premise that first, we complain about this

So if a mechanic is strong enough to be impactful, it's broken and overpowered, but
But...

But first, tell me where I've said that, because if not, you are the one making things up. Indicate me where have I said the first, and don't evade this request twice.

I'm unsure you really deserve a serious answer, but I'll be a educated person and will.

Dynamax offers lot of flexibility, in both directions. There is definitely counterplay to it, as well as there's counter/counterplay.

One of the many things Dynamaxed pokemon can do is set terrains. If the enemy plan is blatantly to chainFakeOut the Dynamaxed pokemon, you can use Psychic terrain (Psychic coverage is super common) to deny it. Other way around, you can replace your enemy terrain in order to fake out or status his.

Dynamax is probably one of the most balanced and interesting "gen mechanics" introduced, due to both the flexibility of being able to pick what to Dynamax (meaning, you're not forced to have one and only one Mega or Z-user in your team and bringing 2 doesn't magically make one of your pokemon itemless), and option to use different Dyna-optimized pokemon based on your own and enemy team plan.
AND the existence of Gigamax also allows some more exploration as there might be further Pokemon that have the "mega mawile" treatment of being completely unviable on their own but strong if Dynamaxed, which in VGC is not bad because it's a "bring 4 out of 6" so you're still not punished for having one of those in your team and not needing it.

I know you're literally just trolling since all your posts on this topic has been complaints and insults to SwSh in this or that way, I'd encourage you to start providing context to your claims rather than calling a mechanic "lazy" without a reason.
It's not that hard to see that you are systematically defending everything Game Freak do, in fact, I stopped you right in your track some pages ago when you were trying to justify their incompetence by trying to "explain to us why they are so lazy". I've this message, it's not something I'm making up.

From a playability standpoint, this Dynamax forms may result. From a designing standpoint, this are just oversized Pokémon over a complete out of sense concept with no changes in their abilities or typing, and only a sutile change in their design (exclusive to Giantamax) which, in conjunction, will never arrive to the deep proposal that mega evolution brough to the table (total BST redesigning, ability, design and even typing in some cases).

So don't even try to hide the obvious lazyness they've shown not only in regards to Dynamax but for everything we know about Sword and Shield and that have been discussed in this topic. At least, not if you are't earning money from Game Freak to help them with propaganda, which at thi point seems plausible to me.

I've argue in the past most of my complains about every aspect of Sword and Shield so no, I'm not trolling, and in fact some members of the moderation have agreed with them. The only thing in where you have got the upper hand is in my limitations with the language we are using, but don't try to make people think i haven't backed my previous statements.

And stop with the theorymon.

And this... This... x'DDD

"Dynamax is probably one of the most balanced and interesting "gen mechanics" introduced, due to both the flexibility of being able to pick what to Dynamax (meaning, you're not forced to have one and only one Mega or Z-user in your team and bringing 2 doesn't magically make one of your pokemon itemless), and option to use different Dyna-optimized pokemon based on your own and enemy team plan.
AND the existence of Gigamax also allows some more exploration as there might be further Pokemon that have the "mega mawile" treatment of being completely unviable on their own but strong if Dynamaxed, which in VGC is not bad because it's a "bring 4 out of 6" so you're still not punished for having one of those in your team and not needing it."

Yes, because we already have stablished a metagame we are all part of with determined threats and playstyles, so we know it is perfectly balanced. In fact, we knew how balanced megas were from the moment they were announced, and all of its implication to the metagame. You have a little complex of condescendence, trying to explain everything that is already known by impossing your point of view.

This community, along with others, failed in perceive the impact certain Mega Evolutions would have when they came into play. And it's natural to be that way in most cases. But you, you not only claim that you fully understand the impact this creatures will have, but get as far has to say that this is one of the most balanced and interesting gen mechanics, balanced being the key word.

If an oversized Pokémon, limited to they changing forms only in Giantamax (we already had that in Mevos), with a comparatively unsubstantial change in their bst and no changes in their ability or typing is one of the most interesting gen mechanics we've had, I'm proud of not being in the same boat as you, my dude.

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Your whole argument is founded in the sole premise that first, we complain about this

But...

But first, tell me where I've said that, because if not, you are the one making things up. Indicate me where have I said the first, and don't evade this request twice.

It's not that hard to see that you are systematically defending everything Game Freak do, in fact, I stopped you right in your track some pages ago when you were trying to justify their incompetence by trying to "explain to us why they are so lazy". I've this message, it's not something I'm making up.

From a playability standpoint, this Dynamax forms may result. From a designing standpoint, this are just oversized Pokémon over a complete out of sense concept with no changes in their abilities or typing, and only a sutile change in their design (exclusive to Giantamax) which, in conjunction, will never arrive to the deep proposal that mega evolution brough to the table (total BST redesigning, ability, design and even typing in some cases).

So don't even try to hide the obvious lazyness they've shown not only in regards to Dynamax but for everything we know about Sword and Shield and that have been discussed in this topic. At least, not if you are't earning money from Game Freak to help them with propaganda, which at thi point seems plausible to me.

I've argue in the past most of my complains about every aspect of Sword and Shield so no, I'm not trolling, and in fact some members of the moderation have agreed with them. The only thing in where you have got the upper hand is in my limitations with the language we are using, but don't try to make people think i haven't backed my previous statements.

And stop with the theorymon.

And this... This... x'DDD

"Dynamax is probably one of the most balanced and interesting "gen mechanics" introduced, due to both the flexibility of being able to pick what to Dynamax (meaning, you're not forced to have one and only one Mega or Z-user in your team and bringing 2 doesn't magically make one of your pokemon itemless), and option to use different Dyna-optimized pokemon based on your own and enemy team plan.
AND the existence of Gigamax also allows some more exploration as there might be further Pokemon that have the "mega mawile" treatment of being completely unviable on their own but strong if Dynamaxed, which in VGC is not bad because it's a "bring 4 out of 6" so you're still not punished for having one of those in your team and not needing it."

Yes, because we already have stablished a metagame we are all part of with determined threats and playstyles, so we know it is perfectly balanced. In fact, we knew how balanced megas were from the moment they were announced, and all of its implication to the metagame. You have a little complex of condescendence, trying to explain everything that is already known by impossing your point of view.

This community, along with others, failed in perceive the impact certain Mega Evolutions would have when they came into play. And it's natural to be that way in most cases. But you, you not only claim that you fully understand the impact this creatures will have, but get as far has to say that this is one of the most balanced and interesting gen mechanics, balanced being the key word.

If an oversized Pokémon, limited to they changing forms only in Giantamax (we already had that in Mevos), with a comparatively unsubstantial change in their bst and no changes in their ability or typing is one of the most interesting gen mechanics we've had, I'm proud of not being in the same boat as you, my dude.
They weren’t arguing the aesthetics of Dynamaxing, they were just claiming it appears more balanced and nuanced as a mechanic (which from theorymonning it does appear to be with how flexible Dynamaxing is and the available counterplay, compared to megas just being effectively another pokemon decided in the teambuilder, sans 50/50 bullshit with charizard). You never responded to their base point (how it affects gameplay) instead complaining about how it’s visually lazy and that they’re a gamefreak apologist (are they war criminals now? lol).

Plus, why is gamefreak the bad guy here when it’s the Pokémon Company likely forcing the yearly release schedule, no wonder a poorly equipped studio like gf ends up cutting corners

Okay, seriously, we don’t know what kinds of changes G-Max will bring to the table yet. Only things we know is that G-Max Pokémon gain signature Z-Move-like moves and have a forme change. Nothing more, nothing less.

We can theorize that G-Max will get a boost in HP like D-Max does, but we have yet no idea whether the Pokémon get other stat changes or not. Heck, for all we know, they could be exactly like Mega and get boosts in the other stats, too.

So, it’s very premature to call this system “lazy” when we still don’t know how it fully works. Sure, maybe visually speaking having kaiju Pokémon may appear as lazy, but we have yet to go in-depth about the whole mechanics before tearing them apart.

So far they look promising since you can adapt your plan accordingly and D-Max whatever Pokémon you think would help in a matchup — essentially giving you access to six potential D-Max/G-Max Pokémon — rather than telegraphing the obvious Mega at team preview (ex. if you see Mawile, you know it’s Mega). This can make matches more dynamic, I dare say.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I mean, I've actually gotten a chance to play around with Dynamaxing (s/o to lord Ezaphs and the Nexus SWSH meta) and while not everything is clear right now, so far it seems like a pretty fun mechanic with our current roster of Pokemon. Yes, teams do design sometimes based around a specific Pokemon that will dynamax to sweep later on; at least they used to do that before we realized that those kinds of teams are ineffectual and typically in a game there will be other factors that may force you to Dynamax something else in your party.

I feel like if Dynamaxing offered the user immunity to switch-forcers they would've specified as such. That would seem like a big enough part of the mechanic that they couldn't just not bring it up. Besides, you can seemingly switch out Pokemon even when they're Dynamaxed, so animating a forced switch wouldn't be a problem in that regard.

While Gigantamax's still totally up in the air and some of the effects of regular Dynamaxing are still theoretical, I feel enough testing of the speculatory meta has occurred to say it looks like a really cool addition and a good final iteration/combination of Mega Evolution and Z-Moves. Except for Gyarados, fuck Gyarados

If the enemy plan is blatantly to chainFakeOut the Dynamaxed pokemon, you can use Psychic terrain (Psychic coverage is super common) to deny it.
How? You have to actually be able to use a move in order to do anything, and the point here is that it's relatively easy to deny a Dynamax Pokemon the opportunity to ever take an action with Fake Out/Roar. As far as I know, there is nothing in the game apart from a couple of obscure abilities that confers immunity to phasing moves, other than if the trainer has no other Pokemon.

When a mechanic is showcased, it's good game design to have counterplay to it (if it's strong enough to necessitate it), but not so great for there to be a single commonly-learned move which hard counters every Dynamax Pokemon. If the main counterplay involves preventing the opponent from using the shiny new mechanic at all (or limiting it to one turn), that isn't fun to play and isn't much fun to watch. It doesn't help that phasing moves feel like an oversight that's being exploited to completely trivialise the mechanic, rather than being intended to be a core part of gameplay.

That said, it's entirely possible that with the mechanic so far not being particularly overpowered, people just won't see the need to bring phasing moves to deal with it. Dynamax has inbuilt counterplay in that the most useful parts of it so far seem to be setting field effects, which is a problem that naturally cancels itself out with how easy those field effects are to clear or overwrite. And the stat boosts we've seen so far are fairly tame. If that's the case, it probably won't make much difference whether Dynamax can be cleared with phasing moves or not.

They weren’t arguing the aesthetics of Dynamaxing, they were just claiming it appears more balanced and nuanced as a mechanic (which from theorymonning it does appear to be with how flexible Dynamaxing is and the available counterplay, compared to megas just being effectively another pokemon decided in the teambuilder, sans 50/50 bullshit with charizard). You never responded to their base point (how it affects gameplay) instead complaining about how it’s visually lazy and that they’re a gamefreak apologist (are they war criminals now? lol).

Plus, why is gamefreak the bad guy here when it’s the Pokémon Company likely forcing the yearly release schedule, no wonder a poorly equipped studio like gf ends up cutting corners
Why are the bad guys the ones responsible for developing the game. Poor, poor Game Freak, it's likely -not at all a conjeture- everyone else forcing them. It's not like since Gen V they haven't done superfluous games with next to no Post-Game, it's not like its the same company that takes features from their own games to give you them in a third version since its origins, it's not like its the same company that, being multimillonaire, still sell technically outdates games. It's not them. Why is Game Freak the bad guy here, we should yell at, I don't know, Capcom, maybe.

I haven't responded to "them" because I just answered to one single person whose whole point is sustented by a falacy, one that I've point and has never been answered. Because he knows it is, simple as that. I'm still waiting for the text in which I say what the aforementioned autor claimed me to say, because that's the beginning of his entire argument. A lie.

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
Why are the bad guys the ones responsible for developing the game. Poor, poor Game Freak, it's likely -not at all a conjeture- everyone else forcing them. It's not like since Gen V they haven't done superfluous games with next to no Post-Game, it's not like its the same company that takes features from their own games to give you them in a third version since its origins, it's not like its the same company that, being multimillonaire, still sell technically outdates games. It's not them. Why is Game Freak the bad guy here, we should yell at, I don't know, Capcom, maybe.

I haven't responded to "them" because I just answered to one single person whose whole point is sustented by a falacy, one that I've point and has never been answered. Because he knows it is, simple as that. I'm still waiting for the text in which I say what the aforementioned autor claimed me to say, because that's the beginning of his entire argument. A lie.
“They” was just being used a gender neutral pronoun, sorry.

Also, what the hell are you on about? You can’t call other people’s points fallacies when you provide them yourself (false equivalency when saying blaming the pokemon company is akin to blaming capcom for gf’s corner cutting, strawman when you attack the lazy design of Dynamaxing without actually addressing the point of his topic, that being the gameplay aspect of it). An actual counterargument would help a lot here- claiming they’re arguing a point you never made while still being argumentative achieves nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)