NFL Thread - 2019-2020 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best performance from a corner for a single year is not the same as being the best corner in the league. In terms you'd agree with: There have been NFL MVP QBs who had better years than Tom Brady. Does that mean they're the best QB in the league?
Tom Brady has been in the league for 20 yrs and quarterbacks in general have incredibly long careers compared to CBs so that's not a great comparison. (I'd Also take Mahomes over Brady next year but that's a different discussion).

Corners don't sustain dominant levels of play for years at a time, Revis was arguably the best corner in the league as late as 2014 and he was out of the league after 2016/2017.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I’ve given it some thought and I think pretzels is right actually that Gilmore is the best in the league at corner but I differ in that I think that means the secondaries of the league are pretty lacking right now because he isn’t anywhere near as dominant as some of the more recent CB talents were in their heyday.

Raiders are trying to do what the Patriots have done, grabbing high tier talent with baggage at low cost with the notion they'll be able to keep them on the straight and narrow. Belichick has largely been able to do that because of his personality, and I suppose Gruden has enough of a resume and demeanor to command similar respect. I could see it working out for them, but there could be a point where there are just too many of them at once if they keep adding them like this.
Incognito and Burfict are terrible people and average players tho

Incognito maybe, but AB is a no brainer and Burfict (see what I did there?) is a really great player when he's actually playing and not headhunting. If Gruden can get him to behave he'll contribute loads to that defense.
I'm just not seeing it there for burfict, the mans a troubled player and not worth the risk. I don't particularly think the AB vs Burfict thing will be a problem; I just think when a man actively loses you games hes not worth it.

Might as well weigh in here.

The new PI rules are gonna open the floodgates for more BS if they let it. Why are they not simply focusing on making sure their stupid referees are not busy smoking crack on the field when a blatant PI happens right in their face? Now every catch under two minutes are going under the microscope.

gonna be some pretty bad #optics for the NFL when Tyreek Hill gets a 4 game suspension while Josh Gordon remains banished in the shadow realm

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Remind yourself that Ezekiel Elliott got six games for literally doing nothing wrong.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
patriots are not going to win this year but only because theyre going to rise up enough in the draft to pick jake fromm as the 4th qb off the board at pick 18. theyll win for another 20 years and my life as a jets fan will continue to make me on that 13 reasons why shit as we run the ball 45 times a game while darnold becomes legitimately good.

I approve of shrugs outcome. The Patriots are destined to take whoever falls between Herbert Eason and Fromm in the late first and somehow that guy will become the NFL's best quarterback.

eventually brady and belichick will leave and eventually all our afc teams will be relevant again!

"It would almost be unfair to call whatever exists between the New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers a rivalry. The Patriots beat the Steelers so often that it just doesn't qualify. Tom Brady is 8-3 against the Steelers in the regular season for his career and 3-0 against them in the postseason. All three playoff matchups were in the AFC Championship Game, and the Patriots won them by 40 combined points."

;-;

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
TBF the Steelers have been on a steady decline since 2016 (imo), and I honestly think they'd be lucky to even take 2nd in the division this season even with Big Ben. The Pats, as snor has said, have been essentially dominating the entire AFC and I get the feeling that the decline that might appear this year is just a way for them to close out Brady's final years with maybe one more owl win in 2020/2021, or to get a new Jimmy-G caliber QB for the post-Brady era.

But the real question I want to see is what happens to the AFC East when the Pats lose Brady/Belichick. Obviously they've got the money and reputation so there's still going to be some influence, but it's not like any of the other AFC East teams are really THAT good. It's kind of funny that in the grand scheme of football, the Pats were the last team in the AFC East to truly have a successful run (even if it has been easily the best). The Dolphins are still a walking 8-8 imo, and Allen and Darnold don't seem "elite" so far. AFC East isn't really one to watch this year, but give it like 4 years and I think it'll be a shitshow of a division to be sure.

TBF the Steelers have been on a steady decline since 2016 (imo), and I honestly think they'd be lucky to even take 2nd in the division this season even with Big Ben. The Pats, as snor has said, have been essentially dominating the entire AFC and I get the feeling that the decline that might appear this year is just a way for them to close out Brady's final years with maybe one more owl win in 2020/2021, or to get a new Jimmy-G caliber QB for the post-Brady era.

But the real question I want to see is what happens to the AFC East when the Pats lose Brady/Belichick. Obviously they've got the money and reputation so there's still going to be some influence, but it's not like any of the other AFC East teams are really THAT good. It's kind of funny that in the grand scheme of football, the Pats were the last team in the AFC East to truly have a successful run (even if it has been easily the best). The Dolphins are still a walking 8-8 imo, and Allen and Darnold don't seem "elite" so far. AFC East isn't really one to watch this year, but give it like 4 years and I think it'll be a shitshow of a division to be sure.
the jets are lookin pretty smack rn so probably them once they get a real QB (that is if darnold doesnt develop into a real one). Btw, the steelers are fine, we're gonna win the division (browns gonna brown) and we're 2-0 with the last two meetings with the patriots if you count jesse james's touchdown that got stolen from us.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
ravens winning the afc north. of the rookies, lamar was sneakily 3rd in epa / dropback and success rate through the air playing fewer games and being younger in terms of real age than anyone else (iirc -- sam might be younger). add in the running and improved wr weapons and you have a stew going with that pass defense.

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
ravens winning the afc north. of the rookies, lamar was sneakily 3rd in epa / dropback and success rate through the air playing fewer games and being younger in terms of real age than anyone else (iirc -- sam might be younger). add in the running and improved wr weapons and you have a stew going with that pass defense.
This , Ravens are taking it, and Browns and Steelers duke it out for wildcard IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)