Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Think it's about time Game Freak told us what exactly Home is. Because ever since its announcement we've heard various miscellaneous details about it which do sound interesting, but also confuses on what exactly it is and what direction it'll take. As Zowayix said, we also have no idea exactly what form the subscription will take either. I'd really like some more solid, concrete info on it; especially before SwSh releases.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Im bored so I'm gonna break down and count all the Pokemon confirmed thus far for the Galar dex by region. Regional variants will be counted for the region of origin (eg Galarian Weezing will be considered a Kanto mon), except for Obstagoon, since cross-gen evos are considered originals of the region they came about in. This applies for all past gen cross-gen pre-evos/evos confirmed by the way! Mons like Rotom with multiple forms are only counted once.

Kanto - 40 (39 original, 1 regional variant)
Johto - 22 (15 original, 4 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Hoenn - 26 (23 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution)
Sinnoh - 28 (17 original, 9 cross-gen evolutions, 2 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 43 (all original)
Kalos - 23 (22 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 19 (all original)
Galar - 17 (16 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Total - 218

Now for some percentages rounded:
Kanto - 26% of Kanto mons, 18% of Galar regional dex
Johto - 22% of Johto mons, 10% of Galar regional dex
Hoenn - 19% of Hoenn mons, 12% of Galar regional dex
Sinnoh - 26% of Sinnoh mons, 13% of Galar regional dex
Unova - 28% of Unova mons, 20% of Galar regional dex
Kalos - 32% of Kalos mons, 11% of Galar regional dex
Alola - 22% of Alola mons, 10% of Galar regional dex
Galar - 8% of Galar regional dex

Unova is the winner in terms of raw Pokemon count and the portion of the Galar dex it takes up, but Kalos takes the cake for the highest fraction of representatives from that gen's pool of new mons. There is a 13% difference between the gen with most of its cast represented and the one with the least represented (Hoenn).

What do you think of the current Galar regional dex? Does it seem like they have stuck to the general theming of the region, or are there any choices that strike you as odd or maybe even flat-out nonsensical? Whatever you do, please do not bring up [redacted].

Im bored so I'm gonna break down and count all the Pokemon confirmed thus far for the Galar dex by region. Regional variants will be counted for the region of origin (eg Galarian Weezing will be considered a Kanto mon), except for Obstagoon, since cross-gen evos are considered originals of the region they came about in. This applies for all past gen cross-gen pre-evos/evos confirmed by the way! Mons like Rotom with multiple forms are only counted once.

Kanto - 40 (39 original, 1 regional variant)
Johto - 22 (15 original, 4 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Hoenn - 26 (23 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution)
Sinnoh - 28 (17 original, 9 cross-gen evolutions, 2 cross-gen pre-evolutions)
Unova - 43 (all original)
Kalos - 23 (22 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 19 (all original)
Galar - 17 (16 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Total - 218

Now for some percentages rounded:
Kanto - 26% of Kanto mons, 18% of Galar regional dex
Johto - 22% of Johto mons, 10% of Galar regional dex
Hoenn - 19% of Hoenn mons, 12% of Galar regional dex
Sinnoh - 26% of Sinnoh mons, 13% of Galar regional dex
Unova - 28% of Unova mons, 20% of Galar regional dex
Kalos - 32% of Kalos mons, 11% of Galar regional dex
Alola - 22% of Alola mons, 10% of Galar regional dex
Galar - 8% of Galar regional dex

Unova is the winner in terms of raw Pokemon count and the portion of the Galar dex it takes up, but Kalos takes the cake for the highest fraction of representatives from that gen's pool of new mons.

What do you think of the current Galar regional dex? Does it seem like they have stuck to the general theming of the region, or are there any choices that strike you as odd or maybe even flat-out nonsensical? Whatever you do, please do not bring up [redacted].
I don’t get what people are complaining about. This Pokedex has a huge quantity of Pokémon from all generations, and people are bound to have some favorites in here. Anyone who says they have 0 favorites here are either strictly speaking of the definition “ favorite “ or are totally lying.

At the risk of dangerously swerving toward the forbidden topic, the problem is that sentimental value is a thing, and people have favorite teams that they don't want split up.
The idea of having different Pokémon and different regions is to experiment with different things. Limiting the pool makes it so that people have to play the game more or less in that spirit, which is fine for me. If people want to play with the same old Pokémon, there's always remakes for this.

All the arguments on either side have been said and done, and frankly, both of them make sense to a degree and there's no right or wrong here. But let's please move on before the thread gets locked again.

I done these calculations myself a few days ago and I'm still not over how surprising Unova's percentage is. Most of the other regions follow a general consistency with just Gen 1 being a bit larger which makes sense; but then you see a large uptake in Gen 5 which is a pleasant surprise. I wonder if it's just a coincidence or there's a reason they're focusing so much on Gen 5.

Either way I'm happy with it. They've already shown a lot of my favourite Unova 'mon are back like Reuniclus and Galvantula; now I just need the confirmation of more of their bugs...

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Potentially worth noting for the Unova stuff - Art Director James Turner's list of designed mons have a majority come from Unova, with a whopping 7 of 14 (15 if you include Bruxish, note that both numbers include Shadow Lugia) being from Gen 5. Of those, only Vullaby and Mandibuzz are unconfirmed (and they're extremely likely considering counterpart Rufflet is in).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I find it really strange that they didn't reveal the name of the town. One wouldn't think that would be much of a spoiler.
On one hand I do want to know location names, on the other hand I'm curious how long they can keep not using location names until the game is finally released.

Online services used to have interesting things to do, like Pokémiles shop, Dream World and even the silly berry minigames, but now, it's a vast wasteland. I'm hoping Home fixes that.
Especially since we'll now have a slew of Pokemon who'll have no choice but to stay in HOME (if you transfer them up to it). Not sure if they'll bring Poke Miles back, but would certainly like something like the Dream World. Unless they plan on doing something with the Dream World with SLEEP (or a combination of the two, HOME allows access to the Dream World if you have SLEEP).

- Sitting on chairs confirmed :P (I think Gen 7 removed this feature after Gen 6 introduced it?)
While you couldn't sit in any ol' seat, there were some places you could sit down. Three that comes to mind was the throne in Hala's house in Iki Town, Guzma's throne in his room in the Shady House in Po Town, and the Champion's throne at the summit of the Pokemon League.

But while they took away being able to sit anywhere they did add in sleeping in beds (and commenting on how other people's beds smelled... you creep).

Interesting that it's just a straight up bag of potatoes and not "bag of opatato berries" since every other human food item previously got turned into a berry.
Dammit Gamefreak are you intent on getting rid of everything I like in this games???
If the curry cooking mechanic is going to be how I think it's going to be *takes a slide glance at FF15 and KH3* then maybe it's for the best we switched over to just plain ol' fruits and veggies as ingredients we collect and leaving the berries alone as their own thing. Like certainly we can use Berries in the cooking (gotta do something with the holdover Berries which have no effect outside of Pokemon Contests) though if the choice was bringing in normal food as ingredients or having to make a batch more Berries which only purpose would be for cooking I'd rather go with the former as those could be easily taken out next game whereas Berries it feels like they try to hold onto all of them no matter if they have a use or not.

I don’t get what people are complaining about. This Pokedex has a huge quantity of Pokémon from all generations, and people are bound to have some favorites in here. Anyone who says they have 0 favorites here are either strictly speaking of the definition “ favorite “ or are totally lying.
I stand by the problem wasn't them limiting the Pokedex, I myself always thought that was a future possibility as we keep adding more and more Pokemon. The problem was how they handled the announcement, with little to no control over the message so it went wherever someone wanted to take it. The announcement should have been made in a direct where they explain their reasoning, how this would benefit the game, what would happen to the Pokemon not in the Galar Dex (which would probably also have more explanation about HOME), and assurance they'll for now on make sure no Pokemon goes one/two gens without making an appearance in a core series game or there will be side battling games like Stadium/Battle Revolution which would have all the Pokemon.

Because, as others have said, the game is actually now looking better and better with each announcement so I'm now more inclined to believe their "this allows us to work on better graphics" excuse. Don't get me wrong, I also still believe they also did it because they were running right on memory since every Pokemon were given bigger version of their model, but they did say they wanted to cut the dex back in SM but didn't so more than anything this was probably the push that led them to finally do it (it's still no excuse for lack of optimization and poor programming, though).

Well Im still missing Mega Gardevoir, Garchomp and Chandelure
I'm still thinking maybe they'll recycle Mega Pokemon designs for Gigantamaxing for those Pokemon which had Mega that are in the Galar Dex. Waste not, want not.

If the curry cooking mechanic is going to be how I think it's going to be *takes a slide glance at FF15 and KH3* then maybe it's for the best we switched over to just plain ol' fruits and veggies as ingredients we collect and leaving the berries alone as their own thing.
So you're telling me we will have the Rotom-phone-bike-airplane reminding you every 5 minutes that maybe we could find some ingredients around here?

:psynervous:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
The idea of having different Pokémon and different regions is to experiment with different things. Limiting the pool makes it so that people have to play the game more or less in that spirit, which is fine for me. If people want to play with the same old Pokémon, there's always remakes for this.
Whilst I agree this is steering into bad territory (and please try not to go there, you're all doing so well). I want to point how how wrong this statement is.

Limiting the total pool does nothing of the sort of increasing your options. In fact, to a lot of players it is the direct antithesis of increasing options. You now have less Pokemon in total to play with. How does that INCREASE your options going forwards? This news directly affects me and how I play the games. I don't want to play old games with old Pokemon. I want to play the new games with old Pokemon. I've probably done in the region of 100 playthroughs now, and I've had incredibly low numbers of re-use in my teams. Yes, I've used Wobbuffet, Pachirisu, Farfetch'd, Every Flying Pokemon which learns Fly, Patrat, Furret, Simisear, Hippowdon, Hydreigon, Lopunny, Dewgong, Maractus etc. My first 2/3 games (depending on availability) usually use all native Pokemon (including using late game Pokemon from eggs). After that I start exploring a list of Pokemon I've not used before and pick a handful of those, and maybe 1 or 2 Pokemon I believe would behave strongly in that game after my direct experience with said game. Yes, I guess this way of playing the games is relatively unique, but I enjoyed having that option. This has now been taken away from me, for some arbitrary list that GameFreak deems are "Worthy".

You are literally falling into GameFreaks asinine marketing of "We've done that before, so you don't want it anymore". Dexnav, PSS, Megas, Z moves, Following Pokemon, Triples, Rotations, Battle Frontier (not in remakes!), Safari Zone, Gym Leader Rematches, Contests (including Poffins and Pokeblocks) and probably a whole host of other "removed" content which made each of the games with them a richer experience for the player. Honestly, if they do do Shinnoh remakes, dear god... Just give me a bog standard Pokemon Game. No gimmicks. No bullshit. Hell, I don't care for Megas or Z moves or whatever the fuck else they whip up. Just let me explore with a gang of my Pokemon of my choice and go from there.

To get mildly back on topic after the small rant above;

I find it really strange that they didn't reveal the name of the town. One wouldn't think that would be much of a spoiler.
This is bizarre to me. Has anyone else gone back through previous announcements and seen when the first namedrop of a town is? I'm pretty sure in Alola we got the game reveal, with map and the names of all the Islands and probably Hau'oli City in the very first announcement? It does seem strange they are hiding these for so long.

The games are looking more and more solid with every passing reveal, really hope we will get *the* announcement after release
Graphics are definitely taking huge jumps throughout these trailers, the issue is that its all Overworld graphics improvements. The real improvements should be made in battling, because that's what you are doing most of the time. As long as doubles is nice and smooth (in terms of framerate) I don't have any issues with that though i guess.

We still don't know if Home will or won't have its own recurring subscription fee on top of Switch Online.
More than likely, but it will likely be a small cost like Bank is. Switch Online is already dirt cheap, so a fiver on top of that isn't going to break the bank. Granted, your first X months of Home should probably be free, but I think they did that with Bank anyway.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So you're telling me we will have the Rotom-phone-bike-airplane reminding you every 5 minutes that maybe we could find some ingredients around here?

:psynervous:
Don't forget lucky emblems!

So poorly thought-out, intrusive ("THIS MIGHT BE A GOOD SPOT TO FIND SOME INGREDIENTS") and overpowered?
Well considering the curry is the Galar food for the Affection mechanic, yes.

I am quite curious if the wording
"Duraludon is also the second Steel- and Dragon-type Pokémon to be discovered so far! "
has any meaning.

I might obviously be looking too far into it, but it didn't quite need those last 2 words unless there's another of those... (well, if he's the pseudo legendary by any chance, that'd means he has 2 previous evolutions, or could evolve)

This is the bag UI, taken right from the website.

The tabs look like:
* medicine
* pokeballs
* in-battle items (X attack etc)
* berries
* Other Items (you can see this on the top)
* TMs
* ???
* ???
* key items

What are the two new tabs?
The first looks like some sort of shiny sphere (maybe items that are only good for selling? Kinda looks like a nugget) and the second looks like some sort of art palette with a paintbrush.
I dunno, but it looks like a Nebby pouch to me.

Does anyone think we’ll get a downloadable demo for ShSw like we did for SM and ORAS?

The SM demo gave us all the Pokémon a month early because they didn’t scrub the Pokédex of images (though we didn’t get stats) so I can see them not making the same mistake and scrapping it all together.

Currently, the SwSh demo is only playable at events and just lets you battle, which, while nice, doesn’t really give you a feel for the game.

Does anyone think we’ll get a downloadable demo for ShSw like we did for SM and ORAS?

The SM demo gave us all the Pokémon a month early because they didn’t scrub the Pokédex of images (though we didn’t get stats) so I can see them not making the same mistake and scrapping it all together.

Currently, the SwSh demo is only playable at events and just lets you battle, which, while nice, doesn’t really give you a feel for the game.
Judging by how the SM beta got datamined to oblivion, how we didn't get a USUM beta, nor a Let's Go beta until way after the release of the game... sadly no

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)