SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Do we have confirmation that Ash won't be the main character of the next anime series? I don't know anything more besides "Ash won the League"; did we get more solid info beyond "the next series will take place in multiple regions"?
All speculation, but I would find it hard to have a main character in an anthology series. Like maybe they could do something where in Alola we follow Ash & his Alolan friends around, but in other regions we have another character or a few we focus on. Pretty much Pokemon Chronicles 2.

I think the far more likely reason for the anthology is because the next pokemon games have dynamax as the main gimmick, which is great for specials but the wrong world for Pokemon. Kaijus genres tend to revel in destruction of the city and even Sentai shows arent afraid of a little carnage. But how would you do that in Pokemon?

Take Pikachu for example. Pikachu is a quadraped that has speed as one of his best traits. How are you gonna show that off in a cramped stadium? Not a lot of places to run around there.
...actually Pikachu wouldnt be able to dynamax through normal means because he doesnt even havw a Pokeball! They woukd have to make a lot of loopholes just to keep Ash around this time, and i think the writers realized that. So, anthology time.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I think the far more likely reason for the anthology is because the next pokemon games have dynamax as the main gimmick, which is great for specials but the wrong world for Pokemon. Kaijus genres tend to revel in destruction of the city and even Sentai shows arent afraid of a little carnage. But how would you do that in Pokemon?

Take Pikachu for example. Pikachu is a quadraped that has speed as one of his best traits. How are you gonna show that off in a cramped stadium? Not a lot of places to run around there.
I think that's a weak excuse. So just because during Gym Battles they have to change how they do their usual battling strategies that's why they're seemingly concluding Ash's story and doing an anthology series? I can think of several ways they could handle the Dynamax battles in the anime and if the writers wanted to they can do so too.

If you want one of my thoughts, explain that when a Pokemon Dynamaxes the size increase makes moving around very difficult so the Pokemon just have to duke it out when they're big. The Pokemon only remains Dynamaxed for three moves when they return to normal, so battles would either be the Dynamax Pokemon sharing blows or a normal Pokemon working around the Dynamaxed Pokemon's weakness (being bit and slow) and either defeating it when its big or getting it to use up its three moves so the battle can return to normal.

In this way, you can make it so Ash has a few Pokemon he goes to Dynamax while others he prefers not to because they're better battling small then big. Infact, with Pikachu refusal to go back into its Pokeball, they could make it so Pikachu never Dynamaxes but rather battles small, darting around its Dynamaxed opponent if it ever goes up against one.

Now they would have to explain why Ash wouldn't be using Z-Moves anymore, but that's an easy excuse of the energy needed to use Z-Moves are Alolan exclusive so Ash's Z-Ring no longer works outside of Alola.

...actually Pikachu wouldnt be able to dynamax through normal means because he doesnt even havw a Pokeball! They woukd have to make a lot of loopholes just to keep Ash around this time, and i think the writers realized that. So, anthology time.
As Vengeance417 said, Ash does have Pikachu's Pokeball because that's how Pikachu is recognized as Ash's. From the trivia section of Bulbapedia's page on Ash's Pikachu:

As Pikachu hates being in his Poké Ball, it is rarely ever seen, with a known total of only six confirmed appearances throughout the whole series (flashbacks not included). These being in Pokémon - I Choose You!, Showdown in Pewter City, Snow Way Out!, A Corphish Out of Water!, Breaking Titles at the Chateau!, and A Frenzied Factory Fiasco!.
In the first season it made three appearance (first episode where Ash gets Pikachu, in the Brock Gym Battle where Ash tries recalling Pikachu because it was trapped by Onix's Bind, & when they were trapped in a cave on a snow top mountain Ash told Pikachu to get in its Pokeball where it'll be warmer).

It was absent for Johto but made a quick appearance in Hoenn where Ash was cleaning all of his Pokemon's Pokeballs.

It was then absent again for Sinnoh and Unova until XY where it surprisingly made two appearances (in the Battle Chateau where custom dictates before a battle starts you and your opponent tap your battling Pokemon's Pokeball & and in the Pokeball Factory where Team Rocket got a hold of it and Meowth began chasing Pikachu around trying to recall it).

Finally up till now has been absent through Alola though it of course made an appearance in the movie retelling of the first episode.

Though should be noted after its debut it no longer has the thunderbolt symbol on it for whatever reason.

I like the way he won and like that he won. People disregarding it just want reasons to complain.
As I said, on paper the Alola League is the perfect League for Ash to win. But the execution of the entire season didn't really build up to it. Infact I would be surprised if the decision to have Ash win was a "last minute" thing. As in the writers weren't really thinking about it until Sword & Shield was announced and they saw all the things it was bringing both new and back (notably a typical League structure after they spent an entire gen doing whatever they felt they wanted).

All I'm saying this victory was done not because it was an acceptable conclusion to Ash's journey but because the writers don't want to go back to a typical Pokemon journey structure.

I think that's a weak excuse. So just because during Gym Battles they have to change how they do their usual battling strategies that's why they're seemingly concluding Ash's story and doing an anthology series? I can think of several ways they could handle the Dynamax battles in the anime and if the writers wanted to they can do so too.

If you want one of my thoughts, explain that when a Pokemon Dynamaxes the size increase makes moving around very difficult so the Pokemon just have to duke it out when they're big. The Pokemon only remains Dynamaxed for three moves when they return to normal, so battles would either be the Dynamax Pokemon sharing blows or a normal Pokemon working around the Dynamaxed Pokemon's weakness (being bit and slow) and either defeating it when its big or getting it to use up its three moves so the battle can return to normal.

In this way, you can make it so Ash has a few Pokemon he goes to Dynamax while others he prefers not to because they're better battling small then big. Infact, with Pikachu refusal to go back into its Pokeball, they could make it so Pikachu never Dynamaxes but rather battles small, darting around its Dynamaxed opponent if it ever goes up against one.

Now they would have to explain why Ash wouldn't be using Z-Moves anymore, but that's an easy excuse of the energy needed to use Z-Moves are Alolan exclusive so Ash's Z-Ring no longer works outside of Alola.

As Vengeance417 said, Ash does have Pikachu's Pokeball because that's how Pikachu is recognized as Ash's. From the trivia section of Bulbapedia's page on Ash's Pikachu:

In the first season it made three appearance (first episode where Ash gets Pikachu, in the Brock Gym Battle where Ash tries recalling Pikachu because it was trapped by Onix's Bind, & when they were trapped in a cave on a snow top mountain Ash told Pikachu to get in its Pokeball where it'll be warmer).

It was absent for Johto but made a quick appearance in Hoenn where Ash was cleaning all of his Pokemon's Pokeballs.

It was then absent again for Sinnoh and Unova until XY where it surprisingly made two appearances (in the Battle Chateau where custom dictates before a battle starts you and your opponent tap your battling Pokemon's Pokeball & and in the Pokeball Factory where Team Rocket got a hold of it and Meowth began chasing Pikachu around trying to recall it).

Finally up till now has been absent through Alola though it of course made an appearance in the movie retelling of the first episode.

Though should be noted after its debut it no longer has the thunderbolt symbol on it for whatever reason.

As I said, on paper the Alola League is the perfect League for Ash to win. But the execution of the entire season didn't really build up to it. Infact I would be surprised if the decision to have Ash win was a "last minute" thing. As in the writers weren't really thinking about it until Sword & Shield was announced and they saw all the things it was bringing both new and back (notably a typical League structure after they spent an entire gen doing whatever they felt they wanted).

All I'm saying this victory was done not because it was an acceptable conclusion to Ash's journey but because the writers don't want to go back to a typical Pokemon journey structure.
An interview with Rica Matsumoto on Coro Coro says she was informed that Ash would be allowed to win this time right at the beginning of the recordings.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So, via Serebii, it's unconfirmed but looks pretty official:

Have a lot of theories with this but I think I'm going to hold back till Sunday for official and more information. Though doesn't hurt to state some obvious stuff:

1. Obviously, Ash is still here. Guess that shows me for opening my mouth. Ash's new design kind of looks no different from his Alola clothes instead of mimicking the clothing of the male playable character in SwSh. Also his cap has a "C" on it, for "Champion"?

2. Second obvious thing would be the lone boy next to Ash who bears a resemblance to him (so it's Galar where they make an Ash regional variant and not Alola? Okay...). I'm going to call him Haxs. Haxs having a Scorbunny and Rotom Phone I guess means he's from the Galar region. But, wait, HE has the Rotom Phone and not Ash? "Why is that a surprise, May and Dawn had their own Pokedex". True, though considering how prominent Rotom Dex is in the SM anime and acted as it's own character it's odd how the Rotom Phone is not only not floating around as it's own character but it's not with Ash. Does this mean this is a different Rotom? Since this kid has the Rotom Phone "partnership" switched to him from Ash? Or is the Rotom that we know as the Rotom Dex now appearing?

3. Also, it's only Ash and his Nobody Haxs, there seems to be no female companion with them. Also, with Haxs looking the same age as Ash there looks to be no mentor figure either.

4. So, the background showcases the new premise for this season: going around the Pokemon world to iconic locations. Starting at the top and going counter-clockwise:

Kanto represented by I think the Indigo Plateau
    Johto by the Bell/Tin Tower
    Hoenn by Mt. Chimney
    Sinnoh by Mt. Coronet
    Unova by the Driftveil Drawbridge
    Kalos by Lumiose Tower
    Alola by coconut trees & Alolan Exeggutor (really, couldn't think of an iconic location from Alola? Mount Lanakila, Altar of the Sunne/Moone, even the anime's version of the Trainer School)
    Galar by the Big Ben Belltower (yes I know it's actually called the Elizabeth Tower) in the Steampunk City.

And of course all around are Pokemon iconic from the eight regions (be they Legendaries, popular Pokemon, or ones with significance in the anime). However if you look carefully you can also see Ash and Haxs. Most noticeable is them riding on Lugia at top (well, Haxs riding Lugia and Ash hanging off its tail). But you can see them other places like running away from a Cofagrigus at the bottom and then in the Alola section with Haxs riding a Mantine Surf and Ash climbing up an Alolan Exeggutor. Curious if any of this is telling about the Pokemon they'll encounter as there's a LOT of Legendaries which they normally save appearance for in movies and specials and the rare cameo.

5. Only other thing I want to mention is the new art style. Looks like a more refined version of the Sun & Moon art style. It's still the more roundish face & facial features but the outlines are more solid. Also instead of just shadows to show bending wrinkle in clothing & hands there are some solid lines which make it pop. Also Pikachu and Scorbunny are looking for sharper drawn than roundish.

... Oh alright, I'll throw out one speculation (if anything just to say "called it" if I'm right):

So, Ash is now a Champion so he doesn't really need to participate in Leagues anymore. In addition he's now the main representative for the Alola League so he gets the privilege of going around the Pokemon world to help promote Alola.

That's how Ash ends up going to Galar and learning about how their League works. Though Ash is excited he's now Champion and upholding the responsibilities of the title, he also feels a bit sad he can no longer compete in other Leagues. That's when Ash runs into Haxs, a new trainer who wants to compete the the Galar League but he has one small problem: he doesn't have a sponsor to endorse him. Well, becoming quick friends and with Ash being a Champion, Ash endorses Haxs and starts to mentor him.

But Ash is busy flying all around the Pokemon World promoting the Alola League, so he takes Haxs with him to help him train for the next upcoming Champion Cup. For a season or two I'd they'd then visit the prominent locations of each region to train and have adventures, but end back in Galar just before the Champion Cup starts. The final season of the Galar saga will take place mostly if not entirely in Galar as Ash becomes Haxs' companion as they go around to the Galar Gyms and other prominent locations in Galar (considering a large part of Galar is the Wild Area with the prominent location being tightly packed together, I wonder if they chose to have this world tour because the writers maybe weren't sure there was enough "area" in Galar to do their typical region treking formula).

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Second obvious thing would be the lone boy next to Ash who bears a resemblance to him (so it's Galar where they make an Ash regional variant and not Alola? Okay...). I'm going to call him Haxs.
I don't see it. Even with how homogeneous faces in anime can be, they don't have similar designs.

I'm just disappointed Ash is still around (retire him already) and confused by the direction of the anime in relation to certain things we can't discuss.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
confused by the direction of the anime in relation to certain things we can't discuss.
Are you talking about the Galar Dex Restriction? The writers won't care about that because it's a game limitation, they'll include whatever Pokemon they want. Unless you mean Dynamaxing, which we discussed how they could do it above.

Are you talking about the Galar Dex Restriction? The writers won't care about that because it's a game limitation, they'll include whatever Pokemon they want. Unless you mean Dynamaxing, which we discussed how they could do it above.
It's a very weird marketing decision
"in a series of games where you can't get all pokemon let's make a cartoon where we display all pokemon"

It's a very weird marketing decision
"in a series of games where you can't get all pokemon let's make a cartoon where we display all pokemon"
That doesnt make senae either. Its not like the other animes only showed off pokemon you could get in those regions as well, even if the regionals were a focus...

EDIT: Its the next day and the leaked poster was true!

The new trainer is called Gou, and is travelling the world to try and catch every Pokemon, including the mythical pokemon Mew. Their partner is Scorbunny

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The new trainer is called Gou, and is travelling the world to try and catch every Pokemon, including the mythical pokemon Mew.
Thought 1: It's been 20+ years and 7 regions and just NOW they're going to try catching them all?
Thought 2: Why Mew specifically? Wouldn't "catching them all also mean the other Mythicals and Legendaries?
Thought 3: And they're doing this for the generation where you can't catch them all.
Thought 4: I also guess this means we won't spend any significant time in Galar thus robbing it of it's gen anime being shared by all the other regions (wonder how many characters they'd be not showing).
Thought 5: After having spent most of Alola faffing about but Ash suddenly becoming Champion at the end makes it important. Now we're going back to a region which probably would have a regimented journey and schedule but it's the one where the characters are now taking a world tour.

Anime writers tone deaf as f***. Especially on Thought 3, now I'm convinced the writers have moved on from being bored and doing whatever they want to being passively vindictive against the viewing audience. "I want to be writing other anime but I'm stuck with Pokemon having to pay the bills! Oh, next games won't have all your little imaginary animals. Boo hoo. Next season will be about a character who's main goal is going to be trying to catch them all and we'll make sure you visually see him catching Pokemon that aren't in the Galer region. HAHAHA!"

Not being able to have every pokemon in swsh does not prevent you from catching all and having a living pokedex in Hime, geez.

Also the anime is not restricted to the same pokicies gamefreak is. Its so weird seeing people bring that point up again and again.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The new trainer is called Gou, and is travelling the world to try and catch every Pokemon
Talk about hilariously misguided marketing.

Also, I heard his name is Go. Shows where TPCi's real priorities lie.

Not being able to have every pokemon in swsh does not prevent you from catching all and having a living pokedex in Hime, geez.

Also the anime is not restricted to the same pokicies gamefreak is. Its so weird seeing people bring that point up again and again.
Ah yes, Home. That extra service we have to pay extra for and
know barely anything about.

Annnnnnd this is why the topic is restricted across multiple websites. Despite the fact that no one knows if its paid for or not (despite bank being paid for), the point is that the anime and games are two completely seperate entities. They can do whatever they want with Pokemon as long as they follow some very generous constraints, and arent under near enough pressure to push stuff out compared to Gamefreak (anime seasons last several years while gf tries to pump out a new title yearly)

Whats more important is that they are travelling to EVERY REGION so even if Galar did have some in universe explaination, they can jump over that hurdle without breaking a stride.

Now, back on topic: I hope we get to see old friends and rivals this way too. People like Harley and May, Dawn and Tracey, etc.

Last edited:

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I see a lot of people wondering why of all times they chose this generation to do a series set in every region. I think I could offer an explanation: Pokemon Generations. Y'know, that collection of shorts set across various regions that was made for Pokemon's 20th Anniversary? I remember when it was first coming out a lot of people were thinking it was a test to gauge interest in a longer series with a similar premise. It was also made right in the build-up to Sun and Moon if I recall correctly, meaning the SM anime was probably at least in pre-production and they couldn't give it that premise as a test. It's totally possible the Pokemon Company/anime production staff saw the glowing praise Generations got in spite of its very poor episode length and figure it'd be a hit as a full-blown anime season.

Anyways, the show itself. As a person who's never really cared for the anime, I'm intrigued. The art they've shown looks nice, and this new main character seems neat.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Ash may be Alola League Champion, but looks like Kukui is going to be Alola Champion as he's got the lead over Ash in their exhibition match.
Ash has Naganadel (currently out) and Torracat while Kukui still has Lucario (currently out), Incineroar, and an unknown 6th Pokemon. Now next episode is "Conclusion! Incineroar vs Torracat" so, yeah, kind of spoils Naganadel gets defeated.

Though of course the question is does Kukui also has his other two Pokemon fall or, once Naganadel falls and Ash sends out Torracat will Kukui just send out Incineroar so those two can have their climatic showdown.

As for how Naganadel is defeated, well it'll probably defeat Lucario (poor Lucario, first it gets defeated by Guzzlord and now also the jobber for Naganadel) though from there two things will likely happen: 1) Nagandel defeats Kukui's 6th Pokemon but loses to Incineroar or 2) Nagandel loses to Kukui's 6th Pokemon which then gets defeated by Torracat. I guess the 3rd option I mentioned above could also happen though if it does will be kind of obvious that means Torracat would lose where these two scenarios creates a chance it can win (moreso with option 1 as Incineroar would then be slightly tired out)

EDIT: Correction, Ash still has Pikachu so the match is still even

Last edited:

RaJ.Shoot

Keep It Simple
LCPL Champion
Ash may be Alola League Champion, but looks like Kukui is going to be Alola Champion as he's gotten quite the lead over Ash in their exhibition match.
Ash has Naganadel (currently out) and Torracat while Kukui still has Lucario (currently out), Incineroar, and an unknown 6th Pokemon.
Pretty sure tapu Koko will end up being the 6th Mon. Like he'll stop kukui from sending out the 6th Mon and will battle Pikachu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)