Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

You can switch Pokemon from the Box in the middle of the Elite 4 in Let's Go, which is super cheesy but kinda sorta balanced out by the fact that the Box doesn't heal and it doesn't give you much of an advantage unless you already trained up more than 6 Pokemon to begin with (which provides its own difficulty).
Especially when you have an 18-Pokémon party :D

I now expect more than 6 new reptilian/dinosaurian lines so that I can make good use of this feature again.

The slight jab at the part of the fanbase complaining about the ‘reused animations’ felt like it missed the point. Most people weren’t complaining about that aspect in regards to the new Pokémon, but with the animations for the older returning Pokémon.
As well as for returning attacks. I also noticed that the pre-battle shot of raid pidove is the closest thing they had to showing the alleged new animations (from a cursory search, its the same idle pose). They had the opportunity to put down dome evidence for their position (assuming said evidence exists), but chose not to. Unless the preview embargo prevents discussing that, which is honestly pretty damning in and of itself.

The thing that turns me off on Gigantamax the most is the way that it's essentially treated as a new variant of the Pokémon instead of a power up or new toy like Mega Evolution was. Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I can see on the official website the only Pokémon that can use Gigantamax are special ones found in Raid Battles or gotten through events, and these Pokémon can't evolve. They're basically treated like a separate variety of the species, like the Let's Go starters or Ash-Greninja. I might have been interested in picking up Caterpie or Corviknight's pre evolution on an early route if it meant they could eventually use their new Gigantamax forms, but it seems you'll have to catch one specific Butterfree (presumably already fully evolved) at some unknown point in the game in order to use this new feature. It's not really a buff for Butterfree, but instead a new Pokémon introduced that looks exactly like Butterfree most of the time. You won't be able to transfer your old Charizard and use its new Gigantamax form either. I guess there's Dynamax, but that's visually uninteresting and can be done by anyone.
This is the big difference that made Mega Evolution feel exiting while I'm mostly indifferent to Gigantamax forms. I could catch Ralts or Riolu early in XY and then be exited once they got access to a big power boost via Mega Evolution, but with Gigantamax you need to specifically catch Gigantamax Pokémon for your team. That Butterfree you caught early on is still going to be just as bad as it's always been.

Maybe Game Freak is listening after all...
I wonder if that means you'll also be allowed to skip cutscenes.
The reviewer that noted this said at least that in general the start of the game is way, way, waaaay less of a slog than the recent games. He only had 90 minutes on it and in that time was able to reach the wild area.

The way you're able to skip the catching tutorial is by catching Pokémon with the Poké Balls your mum gives you with some spending money after you get your starter prior to the tutorial from your rival, so that should give a good idea of how the flow of the start goes -- get your starter, get some stuff from your mum, see/fight/catch some Pokémon in the wild and then meet your rival.

The reviewer that noted this said at least that in general the start of the game is way, way, waaaay less of a slog than the recent games. He only had 90 minutes on it and in that time was able to reach the wild area.

The way you're able to skip the catching tutorial is by catching Pokémon with the Poké Balls your mum gives you with some spending money after you get your starter prior to the tutorial from your rival, so that should give a good idea of how the flow of the start goes -- get your starter, get some stuff from your mum, see/fight/catch some Pokémon in the wild and then meet your rival.
Nintendo life also mentioned that after you fight Hop, Leon will ask if you need to learn type advantages... and you can decline the explanation.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
It's the most wonderful time of the year... Another Galar Pokedex update coming your way!

Kanto - 49 (46 original, 3 regional variants) (+2)
Johto - 28 (19 original, 5 cross-gen evolutions, 4 cross-gen pre-evolutions) (+4)
Hoenn - 32 (29 original, 2 regional variants, 1 cross-gen pre-evolution) (+3) (A Seedot cry was heard, pairs are being filled up and Ludicolo's already in, its line is basically confirmed at this point)
Sinnoh - 32 (19 original, 10 cross-gen evolutions, 3 cross-gen pre-evolutions) (+1)
Unova - 58 (all original)
Kalos - 28 (27 original, 1 cross-gen evolution)
Alola - 27 (all original) (+1)
Galar - 30 (28 original, 2 cross-gen evolutions)
Total - 284 (+11)

Percentages (Rounded down)
Kanto - 32% of Kanto mons, 17% of Galar Pokedex
Johto - 28% of Johto mons, 9% of Galar Pokedex
Hoenn - 23% of Hoenn mons, 11% of Galar Pokedex
Sinnoh - 29% of Sinnoh mons, 11% of Galar Pokedex
Unova - 37% of Unova mons, 20% of Galar Pokedex
Kalos - 41% of Kalos mons, 9% of Galar Pokedex
Alola - 30% of Alola mons, 9% of Galar Pokedex
Galar - 10% of Galar Pokedex

Johto's home dex representation has caught up with the others, and while Hoenn grew a bit it is still behind. Excluding Kalos and Unova, Kanto is in the lead for this category, but just barely, only a few % points above Johto, Sinnoh and Alola. The gap between the most represented generation (Kalos) and the least represented (Hoenn) is 18%.

As for the overall current Galar Pokedex pool of 284, not much has changed since the last update: Kanto and Unova still stick far above all the others in the 10% range, courtesy of their huge Pokedexes. Aside from that, nothing much else of note that doesn't involve story hints except for one thing...

https://www.gameinformer.com/previe...ing-of-the-game?amp&__twitter_impression=true

Game informers article reveals a few early locatuons: the Slumbering Weald, Wedhurst, presumably our starting town, and Motostoke city.

Also we got our first TM returning after a long hiatus: welcome back, swift!
Swift is a TM again? Intriguing... ...possible buff to the move coming our way?

Last edited:
What does balancing the fact that one counterpart got a special form while the other didn't have anything to do with balancing the game? Beedrill got a mega while Butterfree didn't. It is therefore balanced that Butterfree got a Gigantamax form while Beedrill gets jack squat. If that means that I think Game Freak is properly balancing the game after their years of screwups I believe you need to learn how to properly comprehend what you read.
I've always read "balance" in terms of playability, also in spanish we only use the term "balancear" (to balance) when refering to this, which is what I understood. If it is second nature to you to infer "balance" in that way, it isnt to me.

Swift is a TM again? Intriguing... ...possible buff to the move coming our way?
Could also mean more TMs. Swift is a solid TM for early game, as anyone who played GSC can attest. (Until Headbutt renders it moot. Except for the birds. Poor birds.)

edit: just noticed in one of the videos that there was a Galvantula in the wild area.

Assuming this is the first encounter the player has with the wild area, they're going to teach people quick that there are stronger mons and you gotta run away with the quickness when you see them.

In fact, I'm beginning to think that the segment of the wild area shown wayyy back on that treehouse stream might be the first chunk of it that we can access.

Last edited:
What.

Ok, this could be *really* great or *really* bad. If it gets that open world-itis and ends up as empty as OoT's Hyrule Field, we have a massive problem incoming.

If they do find ways to make the Wild Area *that big* and a rewarding and enjoyable experience... Well, I don't even have words. Could be the 2nd best game in the franchise. (Nothing tops Platinum. NOTHING!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)