Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Another interview recently came out done by Metro. It's not really interesting, kind of just restating things we already know and pretty non-answery to the point where I don't feel like a breakdown is even worth the effort, but hey we're all bored as shit and need something to discuss.

EDIT: Actually, there is something interesting. According to this Reddit post I just stumbled upon, it's possible that Gigantamax Meowth is actually based on Monty Python:
Oh nice!

https://vandal.elespanol.com/notici...esitas-100-horas-si-quieres-completarlo-todo/

"Creo que es difícil entrar en detalles de eso pero, en términos del volumen o la cantidad de contenido en la aventura principal, es comparable a otras generaciones de Pokémon que hemos jugado", dijo Ohmori. "Creo que hay muchas actividades interesantes como, por ejemplo, completar la Pokédex o realmente salir al Área Silvestre y comprometerse con esas mecánicas, agregarán un gran valor de repetición para los jugadores que buscan realmente involucrarse seriamente".

"In terms of sheer volume, Sword and Shield are akin to past generations. I think there are lots of interesting activities like, for example, complete the Pokédex or go into the Wild Area and so compromising with this mechanics will add a great replayability value for the players who want to engage deeply."

Expect a post-game similar to post bw2 gens, this is, almost no post-game. From their perspective, fulfilling the Pokédex and going into the Wild Areas are the main post-game traits these games have.

Ik its really petty but part of me hopes this is the case so all the gamefreak stans who are saying this is the game that will focus on postgame because of [REDACTED] are proven wrong and can finally open their eyes to see how cheap gamefreak can be

No postgame worked for them for the last 2 gens and fans already ate up the "smartphones popular, fans have no attention spans, why bother putting postgame?" excuse back in oras. Why work on it when you can get away with it again? With fans presumely still defending it

i imagine seeing something like "c-c-cut them some slack, its only their first game on the switch! Its like XY again We'll surely get more postgame next gen or with the third versions once theyre familiar with the hardware"

Edit: i just read the article and its more worrying than i thought, ohmori himself says the amount of content is comparable to other pokemon games (and we know he isnt talking abt hgss) and he says the "wild areas" will be the main source of replayability

If the walking in a 3d field is the best u can do to make me come back to this game and youre not promoting postgame in any way then that means the postgame must be hella bad

Last edited:

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
Ik its really petty but part of me hopes this is the case so all the gamefreak stans who are saying this is the game that will focus on postgame because of [REDACTED] are proven wrong and can finally open their eyes to see how cheap gamefreak can be

No postgame worked for them for the last 2 gens and fans already ate up the "smartphones popular, fans have no attention spans, why bother putting postgame?" excuse back in oras. Why work on it when you can get away with it again? With fans presumely still defending it

i imagine seeing something like "c-c-cut them some slack, its only their first game on the switch! Its like XY again We'll surely get more postgame next gen or with the third versions once theyre familiar with the hardware"

Edit: i just read the article and its more worrying than i thought, ohmori himself says the amount of content is comparable to other pokemon games (and we know he isnt talking abt hgss) and he says the "wild areas" will be the main source of replayability

If the walking in a 3d field is the best u can do to make me come back to this game and youre not promoting postgame in any way then that means the postgame must be hella bad
Nobody is saying that, at least as far as I can tell. People do appear to be excited about actual revealed changes though, such as the significant QoL improvements, multiple profiles per game, ui improvements, non-linear segments, etc. There’s plenty to look forward to in this game without having to rely on hypotheticals as it stands. And I assume by wild area containing postgame they’re also referring to the camping elements and late-game raids, and any other stuff that occurs chiefly in the wild area.

Nobody is saying that, at least as far as I can tell. People do appear to be excited about actual revealed changes though, such as the significant QoL improvements, multiple profiles per game, ui improvements, non-linear segments, etc. There’s plenty to look forward to in this game without having to rely on hypotheticals as it stands. And I assume by wild area containing postgame they’re also referring to the camping elements and late-game raids, and any other stuff that occurs chiefly in the wild area.
What hypotheticals? The lead designer is telling you completing the Pokédex and going into Wild Areas are the main sources of Post-Game. From a purely design PoV, QoL improvements are nothing is there's no content to reinforce them. Dark Souls II, even with its infamous Soul Level mechanic, is way ahead of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls in regards to QoL additions. Is it better? We can surely argue about it. Why do I use Dark Souls as an example? There isn't a particular reason, I just like the idea of proving a point by using the most influential (action game) aRPG/Dungeon Crawler of our decade. Pokémon is no different.

Multiple profiles per game and ui improvements are good, but they are mandatory in a hardware like the Switch. In fact, the multiple profiles per game are a characteristic of the Nintendo Switch and no the games themselves. Are we for real treat it like a glorious adition when literaly every game on Nintendo Switch have this feature due to the hardware itself? No. We haven't seen anything great about the game's content, and I say anything. For what we know, there's no Battle Frontier and I'm seriously doubting there'll be even a Battle Tower/Maison/Tree/this-game's-iteration. And this thought is backed up by what I infer Ohmori is telling us with his very own words, not a hyphotesis.

But I like to bet. I'd say Sword and Shield entire Post-Game will revolve around Wild Areas and completing the Pokédex. No Pokéwoods, no DPPl Underground, no Secret Bases, no RSE or even DPPl contests, no Pokéathlon (in a game that have announced the 'Sports' topic the most of any Pokémon game til this moment) and this is for sure, no Battle Frontier of any kind, which all the community have been asking for since IV Gen and they gave us a joke paperboard Battle Tower in ORAS. So after finishing the games and having all your Pokémon transferred there'll be no reason to keep playing the games for 'in-game content' apart from breeding, which has been the one mechanic that has sustained the entire franchise post-game after BW2.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly come back and pick my 'Owned', I hope I'm wrong but at the same time I know I'm not. And this words from Ohmori don't clear my doubts.

The developer never said those were the main source of replayability. He had to answer a question about replayability without giving anything else away, so he told us features they had already told us about. It's a pretty standard non-answer.

It could very well be that it's the main source of replayability, but I hardly find this proof.

What hypotheticals? The lead designer is telling you completing the Pokédex and going into Wild Areas are the main sources of Post-Game. From a purely design PoV, QoL improvements are nothing is there's no content to reinforce them. Dark Souls II, even with its infamous Soul Level mechanic, is way ahead of Dark Souls and Demon's Souls in regards to QoL additions. Is it better? We can surely argue about it. Why do I use Dark Souls as an example? There isn't a particular reason, I just like the idea of proving a point by using the most influential (action game) aRPG/Dungeon Crawler of our decade. Pokémon is no different.

Multiple profiles per game and ui improvements are good, but they are mandatory in a hardware like the Switch. In fact, the multiple profiles per game are a characteristic of the Nintendo Switch and no the games themselves. Are we for real treat it like a glorious adition when literaly every game on Nintendo Switch have this feature due to the hardware itself? No. We haven't seen anything great about the game's content, and I say anything. For what we know, there's no Battle Frontier and I'm seriously doubting there'll be even a Battle Tower/Maison/Tree/this-game's-iteration. And this thought is backed up by what I infer Ohmori is telling us with his very own words, not a hyphotesis.

But I like to bet. I'd say Sword and Shield entire Post-Game will revolve around Wild Areas and completing the Pokédex. No Pokéwoods, no DPPl Underground, no Secret Bases, no RSE or even DPPl contests, no Pokéathlon (in a game that have announced the 'Sports' topic the most of any Pokémon game til this moment) and this is for sure, no Battle Frontier of any kind, which all the community have been asking for since IV Gen and they gave us a joke paperboard Battle Tower in ORAS. So after finishing the games and having all your Pokémon transferred there'll be no reason to keep playing the games for 'in-game content' apart from breeding, which has been the one mechanic that has sustained the entire franchise post-game after BW2.

If I'm wrong I'll gladly come back and pick my 'Owned', I hope I'm wrong but at the same time I know I'm not. And this words from Ohmori don't clear my doubts.
You know, you could have just gone to the original interview.
Here’s the quote in English:
You spoke earlier about striving to make the “ultimate” Pokémon game with this first new generation on consoles. Do you think the length of this adventure is comparable to other Pokémon games?
Ohmori: I think it’s hard to go into details of that, but in terms of the volume or the amount of content in the main adventure, it’s comparable to other Pokémon generations that we’ve played. I think there’s a lot of interesting activities that, for example, completing the Pokédex or really going out into the Wild Area and engaging with those mechanics, that’ll add a lot of replay value for players who are looking to get really hardcore into that.

You know, you could have just gone to the original interview.
Here’s the quote in English:
And I think the key here, really, is 'for example'. ie there's probably more things they can't say yet.

That said, I'm not getting myself excited and I don't expect it to be much. I fully expect it to be along the lines of Sun/Moon -- a battle tree, a small but mostly linear collection of routes to explore like Poni Island, the third version legendary to catch and a small post-game story. But I think using this quote to say that the wild area and dex are practically confirmed to be the only postgame is a bit silly.

Really i thought the key was main adventure, also known as not the post game.

I dont appreciate this kind of fearmongering and misinformation being spread, especially at the 2 week mark, relax.
Oh that's fair, I was zeroing in on the 'replay value' bit and completely missed that. Thanks for pointing it out!

The developer never said those were the main source of replayability. He had to answer a question about replayability without giving anything else away, so he told us features they had already told us about. It's a pretty standard non-answer.

It could very well be that it's the main source of replayability, but I hardly find this proof.
He couldve said there is alot to do to keep you coming back to game! Or they couldve teased that this game is different from the others by having much more replyability

Or when masuda was talking about players trying to burn content as fast possible, he couldve assured them that therell be much more this time around, or teased that they wont be able to do it as fast this time around because of the amount of content

Or that "hardcore fans worried about lack of replayability of the previous 2 gens can rest assure now because there is a lot to look forward to!"

U can tease or hype up postgame without giving anything away, these are all non-statements commonly used by other developers as well to hype up games and require no effort or creativity to make

We will know in 2 weeks for sure anyways but im pretty worried for the time being

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Just want to throw in my two cents about replayability. To me, replayability means if the game is fun when you play through it again. Having more save files means you don't have to trade all you Pokemon off of the game first, so I'd say these games probably have better replayability.

You guys clearly meant post game by replayability, so this is what I have to say about that. I can grantee this game has a worse post game than any since Fire Red and Leaf Green for one reason. You have to pay for the Switch online subscription for online stuff like trading, and more importantly, battles with other players. (I know you can trade and battle locally, but I don't have many friends...) For me, that practically means that it doesn't exist.

As for in game post game, the idea of wild area being or having most of the post game sounds lame at first, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some Pokemon available only in post game that you had to really search for, like Legendaries. Looking for lairs would be awesome! Anyway, all I want for the post game is the thing that I've sunk hundreds of hours into, this generation's version of the Battle Tower. I know I should ask for more and be disappointed if that's all there is, but that really is all I care about... except if there's a patch fixing [REDACTED]...

Is anyone committed to any version yet?

I’m personally leaning toward Shield as I’ve never used the Tyranitar line in a playthrough (hoping it’s available by the mid-game at least) and I prefer the Ghost-type gym over the fighting one. Still, Sirfetch’d is very tempting and may pull me to Sword.

I think there's some sort of misunderstanding here. "Post-game" is not the side-quests. Contests, Musicals, Secret Bases, etc., are not post-game because... well, you can do then before you complete the main story. Post-game is things like the Battle Facilities or the Delta and RR Episodes.

And in regards to that, post-games in Pokémon are generally barren... and I've unironically found them to be on the rise in terms of effort since ORAS (dunno about XY as it's still pending to me) as you have a chunk of story awaiting for you after you beat the main story (however short that "chunk" can be).

So getting back in the boat for replayability... a Battle Facility is pretty much a given at this point, and about the Wild Area... they likely consider it as having good replayability due to multiple save slots and its non-linear nature, giving you more options for the early-game.

I’m personally leaning toward Shield as I’ve never used the Tyranitar line in a playthrough (hoping it’s available by the mid-game at least) and I prefer the Ghost-type gym over the fighting one. Still, Sirfetch’d is very tempting and may pull me to Sword.
Sword to me. Exclusive Dinosaur > Exclusive Non-Dinosaur so Sirfetch'd makes a huge difference.

He couldve said there is alot to do to keep you coming back to game! Or they couldve teased that this game is different from the others by having much more replyability

Or when masuda was talking about players trying to burn content as fast possible, he couldve assured them that therell be much more this time around, or teased that they wont be able to do it as fast this time around because of the amount of content

Or that "hardcore fans worried about lack of replayability of the previous 2 gens can rest assure now because there is a lot to look forward to!"

U can tease or hype up postgame without giving anything away, these are all non-statements commonly used by other developers as well to hype up games and require no effort or creativity to make

We will know in 2 weeks for sure anyways but im pretty worried for the time being
Then in that case your complaint is with the non-answers in the interviews. Which I'd agree with, but it's hardly a criticism of the game itself at that point.

Was having a hard time at first, but Ponyta 100% sealed the deal on Shield for me even if Sirfetch'd is, as you said, very tempting. It also means I get Goomy, which I've never actually used before; so I'll finally get to have that on a team as well!

I love Farfetch’d so I am 100% going Sword, which i was leaning towards anyways for Sif.

By the way, I've just peeked at the eShop page for the Double Pack for this game and I've noticed something interesting about the gift Dynamax Larvitar and Jangmo-o.

Larvitar's Dynamax Crystal has the download code ★And15
Jangmo-o's Dynamax Crystal has the download code ★And458

What I find interesting is the numbers. Are these their Galar Dex numbers?

The page also mentions taking an average of two hours to reach the Wild Area.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming

I was gonna get Sword for Bea and Sirfetch'd, but then it was revealed Drampa is (likely) gonna be a Shield exclusive. I got Sun initially because I had yet to realize the true glory of Yung Dramps, and while I was able to trade with a friend to get him I will nonetheless avoid making such a mistake, in which case it'll be funny horse and onion boy that I shall see in the main story

By the way, I've just peeked at the eShop page for the Double Pack for this game and I've noticed something interesting about the gift Dynamax Larvitar and Jangmo-o.

Larvitar's Dynamax Crystal has the download code ★And15
Jangmo-o's Dynamax Crystal has the download code ★And458

What I find interesting is the numbers. Are these their Galar Dex numbers?
I dunno... ...Larvitar's number seems WAY too early for that. #15 in any other dex would be like the regional bird or rodent or bug, not a past-gen pseudo-legendary! The gap between it and Jangmo-o is also way too big. The only possible thing I can think of is Pokedex divisions ie the "regions" in X and Y and the individual Island dexes for Alola, but even then Larvitar's still too early.

I was gonna get Sword for Bea and Sirfetch'd, but then it was revealed Drampa is (likely) gonna be a Shield exclusive. I got Sun initially because I had yet to realize the true glory of Yung Dramps, and while I was able to trade with a friend to get him I will nonetheless avoid making such a mistake, in which case it'll be funny horse and onion boy that I shall see in the main story

I dunno... ...Larvitar's number seems WAY too early for that. #15 in any other dex would be like the regional bird or rodent or bug, not a past-gen pseudo-legendary! The gap between it and Jangmo-o is also way too big. The only possible thing I can think of is Pokedex divisions ie the "regions" in X and Y and the individual Island dexes for Alola, but even then Larvitar's still too early.
Larvitar was avalible in 10 Carat hill, which was early in USM.

EDIT: My bad, it was a Diglett's tunnel. Still pretty early.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Larvitar was avalible in 10 Carat hill, which was early in USM.

EDIT: My bad, it was a Diglett's tunnel. Still pretty early.
We've had early obtain pseudos before (since DPP to an extent even with Gible), but in terms of Pokedex number they're still often more towards the middle or the end, not the very beginning. In your example, Larvitar was #247 out of 400 not including mythicals

We've had early obtain pseudos before (since DPP to an extent even with Gible), but in terms of Pokedex number they're still often more towards the middle or the end, not the very beginning
DP and Pt was known for the odd placement of Pokedex numbers, with notably the Platinum Expansion taking place after Dialga, Palkia, and Manaphy. Recent games show Pokemon's Pokedex number depending on the how early/late the Pokemon appeared.

On one hand
DP and Pt was known for the odd placement of Pokedex numbers, with notably the Platinum Expansion taking place after Dialga, Palkia, and Manaphy. Recent games show Pokemon's Pokedex number depending on the how early/late the Pokemon appeared.
That's true, but being #15 would mean literally the third evolutionary family encountered. Usually those first three family slots are reserved for the bird, the rodent and the bug -- and then in terms of previous region stuff, it'd likely be things like caterpie and wingull and pichu.

Larvitar being there? Well... not impossible, but it would be extremely surprising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)