Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

On one hand

That's true, but being #15 would mean literally the third evolutionary family encountered. Usually those first three family slots are reserved for the bird, the rodent and the bug -- and then in terms of previous region stuff, it'd likely be things like caterpie and wingull and pichu.

Larvitar being there? Well... not impossible, but it would be extremely surprising.
Even if it was there, I'd imagine that it would still be pretty hard to use, since no evolution until lv.50, and Rock/Ground is pretty poor for the most part. Maybe that's why GF is putting it so early? For a challenge?

On one hand

That's true, but being #15 would mean literally the third evolutionary family encountered. Usually those first three family slots are reserved for the bird, the rodent and the bug -- and then in terms of previous region stuff, it'd likely be things like caterpie and wingull and pichu.

Larvitar being there? Well... not impossible, but it would be extremely surprising.
I am curious as to what it means since the thing about the Dynamax crystals on the website says “These Pokémon normally can’t be encountered until later in the game!”

I've pre-ordered physical Shield.

Regarding the game/post-game/replayability, the game is the game. Pokémon never had a good post-game. I actually find them improving on it since XY. Delta Episode and RR were really good on my book but the other games sucked at that.

Replayability in every other game means "replaying the game, playing the game again" ie: going through the 8 gyms all over again. I would sure love if we had an episode + Battle Frontier + Pokeathlon + Battle Facility + Contests. I'd explore everything and I do hope we have lots of different things to do. But that is not replayability, please.

Delta Episode and RR were really good on my book
Honestly, I find things like this and even the Looker stories in XY and SM to provide more entertainment value than any post-game facility bar the ones in gen 5. If we get more post-game story like that, I'll be happy.

That or let me use my ubers in the facilities. USUM did this sorta, but it didn't level scale them which took the fun out of it.

I think I'm leaning towards Sword, mostly because my teams have always been more offense-based, so I figured...

Still waiting for more info before deciding, though.

You know, you could have just gone to the original interview.
Here’s the quote in English:
It says exactly the same unless you believe "plenty of" is refering to any real postgame content they havent advertised yet.

Ik its lile a job to defend a company no matter what but have you read my message like at all or you just copy the same thing that has already been debunked and expect to gain some like?

Ok so another page in favorites. See u again after swsh launch, dont worry ill quote you.

My my, the concern trolling on display.
Not to mention the not so passive aggressiveness.

Trying to derive anything substantial from these interviews where they are being purposefully vague is pointless.
Complain as loudly as you like after some concrete information surfaces but until then there's really not much of a point.

EDIT: For clarification, it's not that I'm saying the interviews shouldn't be discussed at all. It's that if you want to condemn Game Freak for the post-game in these titles you need a stronger basis to do so. A strong statement requires solid backing and these interviews do not provide that.

Last edited:
It might be best if we shift the discussion onto something else. Given that we might not be getting any more official information before the game leaks/is released, has the marketing been sufficient to make people want to buy the game? Personally I think GF have taken a wrong direction with marketing this year, and they should have released a lot more information than they have. Normally, I would be fine with them keeping their lips tight and allowing us to enjoy the game spoiler free, but not when [REDACTED] has also been announced for the same game. They should have saturated us with information about all the new Pokemon and features in the game, in order to make up for what won't be in the game. As things currently stand, we have no idea if the [REDACTED] risk will pay off or not, and many people like myself won't be buying the game until it has been fully leaked.

[REDACTED] aside, there has been many things revealed that I fully support and will enhance the game. The ability to change nature boosts, easy access to the move relearner, regional evolutions, large pool of potential gym leaders and the ability to be destroyed by lv 50+ mons early game (plus egg moves and high IV's) are all things that should have happened years ago. The wild areas also finally give us an opportunity to explore and should hopefully make the games a lot less linear. If it were not for [REDACTED] this would be a very easy day one purchase.

I really think they should have gone in more detail about Pokemon Home, as many people (myself included) are unconfutable continuing with the series until we know what is happening to our older banned Pokemon. If Pokemon Home allows for full battles (including Megas and Z-moves alongside all the new sword/shield features) then I will have no problem with [REDACTED] going forward for future games. But if all we can do is look at them and do online trading, then GF are walking on very thin ice. Unfortunately, GF's silence about Home makes me feel that battles won't be possible, otherwise why would they not announce it at the same time as when [REDACTED] was revealed?

Personally I think GF have taken a wrong direction with marketing this year, and they should have released a lot more information than they have.
I know it's kinda beating a dead horse, but GF marketing has always been questionable at best, it's not really a "this year" thing. It's always been bad, just this year it had had much more socialmedia noise due to the Pokedex case.

I really think they should have gone in more detail about Pokemon Home, as many people (myself included) are unconfutable continuing with the series until we know what is happening to our older banned Pokemon.
Beating a second dead horse (poor horses), you grossly overestimate the amount of people with this concern. The casual playerbase barely if even cares of Home and never used Bank (as well as rarely if ever played the postgame at all), and the casual younger playerbase (the one that spams Fortnite, yes) also grossly outnumbers smogoners and general hardcores alike.

EDIT: For clarification, it's not that I'm saying the interviews shouldn't be discussed at all. It's that if you want to condemn Game Freak for the post-game in these titles you need a stronger basis to do so. A strong statement requires solid backing and these interviews do not provide that.
Fully agree, though I do share the concern for a lack of actual postgame.

Being a facility runner myself, I am scared that the facilities have been cut off, as they are one of the features with the least request / dedicated playerbase, and the only postgame is pvp, raids and pokedex filling. Crossing my fingers for this to be wrong, and us having a Battle Big Ben (i love that name lol) to be bad at.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Beating a second dead horse (poor horses), you grossly overestimate the amount of people with this concern. The casual playerbase barely if even cares of Home and never used Bank (as well as rarely if ever played the postgame at all), and the casual younger playerbase (the one that spams Fortnite, yes) also grossly outnumbers smogoners and general hardcores alike.
Just curious, is there actual proof of Pokemon Bank having hardly been used at all in the grand scheme of things? Usage statistics and such? I'm not doubting you, but if no evidence of this claim in particular exists it seems like a baseless assumption

I also feel the need to point out that someone not using Bank themselves does not indicate they are okay with not having additional mons beyond the regional dex. I didn't think it necessary to purchase a subscription in gen 6, primarily because I could get pretty much any non-legendary off the GTS with a Squirtle knowing Aura Sphere.

As for picking versions, I'll go with what I've been doing since XY: check all version exclusives before release, and the mega stone availibility overrides any other criteria. That is, I'm likely not getting it.

Shifting the topic is a good idea, and I might as well start with some aspects that, while unlikely to appear, would be greatly appreciated. For instance, trainer nicknaming their Pkm (not counting trade Pkm!). Of course, not all of them should, but I imagine that if we were in the world of Pkm, at least there should be some people who love their Pkm that much to give them another name but their own. This could illustrate the bond between trainer and Pkm and also lead to hilarious moments. Ever fought against someone who nicknamed their Ferroseed "Hug me :["? That could be touched upon.

And while I'm at it, I might as well talk about evolutions. If I recall right, trainer start using more evolved Pkm after a certain amount of progress. While this is completely understandable - after all, evolved Pkm are stronger than their pre-evolution - I'd still like to see more unevolved Pkm, just like in the anime. To make up the loss of "power", GF could put these unevolved Pkm on a much more higher level than their evolution parts.

To give an example, trainer A has a Feraligatr on level 50 just like most of your Pkm. But he also has a Totodile on level 60. Power wise there isn't much of a difference between these two, I think. And GF could still invest in Totodile's HP instead of speed. If they want to, they could even give it Eviolite. Either way, this should make Totodile almost on part with Feraligatr.

Apart from that, I hope we'll see some buffs for Pkm who need them. This also goes for certain moves and abilities. I hope they'll still keep the new effect of Teleport. And maybe, this time we might see Queenly Majesty Vespiqueen. While I don't think it would improve her much, it, at least, makes sense for her to have it. She's a queen, after all! I'd also like to see Fur Coat Mareep. The ability could change when it evolves, but the point is if the Wooloo has Fur Coat, why shouldn't Mareep have it as well?

Another cool addition would be abilities like Forewarn and Anticipation. Why not making the Pkm immune to Entry Hazards? After all, they could sense that something's wrong on the field! Or what about Emergency Exit? It should give you the option to switch out as it's more in line with Golisopod's dex entry! Or give it, at least, another ability like Intimidate to make it even more bulky than it is or Shell Armor if GF don't want to make it to threatening. But then again, we have quite some powerful Pkm like Kartana, Margeana, Pheromosa, etc. Why not giving it Tough Claws? :DDD
I mean it would make so much sense and turn Golisopod into a very threatening revenger killer like Scizor.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Minor detail I hope they keep in mind: You know how you can catch certain Pokemon only by wading through grass, as in they won't be seen in the overworld? Well I hope the mons that can only be acquired this way would be the ones that could realistically hide in grass, something like Kommo-o or Duraludon being grass-exclusive would be pretty dumb and weird

Eve

taking a break
is a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Community Leader
Minor detail I hope they keep in mind: You know how you can catch certain Pokemon only by wading through grass, as in they won't be seen in the overworld? Well I hope the mons that can only be acquired this way would be the ones that could realistically hide in grass, something like Kommo-o or Duraludon being grass-exclusive would be pretty dumb and weird
now I need fanart of a kommo-o lying flat on its stomach to try and hide in tall grass

also, preordered Shield- Sirfetch'd nearly had me but the pony is way too cute haha

Preloaded Sword and got the steel book because why not I guess.
Still seems kinda weird to get a steelbook for your cart that doesn't exist, but at the same time I was happy to take it so I guess they know what they're doing...
Well, you can always use the Steelbook for another cartridge.

Wait, no. That would make it confusing.

It's difficult to explain why a steelbook for a digital preorder... but hey, free stuff!

About nicknames, I always do them. Almost all my Pokémon, even those I will never use, get their names. This time, since the name rater is in all Centers, I'll name only those I'm sure will be on my team, and not name the others, so I can familiarize myself with their species names, but as soon as they get to my team, they get named. I don't call my cats "cat 1, 2 and 3".

Regarding the steel book, one reason why some people go physical instead of digital is because of the collecting aspect of it. Your game collection looks nice. If you have steel books, you can still play the game at launch while having something to put in your collection.

It says exactly the same unless you believe "plenty of" is refering to any real postgame content they havent advertised yet.

Ik its lile a job to defend a company no matter what but have you read my message like at all or you just copy the same thing that has already been debunked and expect to gain some like?

Ok so another page in favorites. See u again after swsh launch, dont worry ill quote you.
The quote was about replayability, not post-game content. Post-game content, outside of ORAS, USUM, and the mention of the Battle Facilities, tends to not get a lot of reveals prior to the game’s launch. (Don’t remember if the Looker Stories in XY and SM were revealed prior to launch. Also not 100% sure on Delta Episode but i’m pretty sure it had a trailer.)

If they add in a Battle Tower-like facility, a short story (Hopefully involving Looker), and either a cave or other “dungeon” type place (likely with one or two routes going there) that houses the third legend in the trio along with a set of lesser legendaries (i.e. birds, cats, muskadeer, etc.) either in their own new caves, in previously unused or cordoned off portions of other caves, or as random roaming encounters... then it’s on par with a majority of other Generation’s first set of games. The bar ain’t too high.
If they add in a whole new area with multiple routes and towns ala Gen 2 Kanto/That island in DP/The right half of the Donut in BW1 then it’s more post-game content than most Generations’ first entries.

You do get some replayability from the post-game, true, but they are not the same. You could drop what you were doing and just sink a bunch of time into Pokemon Contests in Gen 3, especially once you got to Lilycove rather than progress the story. You will likely be able to go online and battle other people within the first hour of SwSh, or connect with a friend and battle. Both are examples of replayability and both are things you can do before you see the credits roll. It remains to be seen how much replayability is in the game, but considering how most of the first games in a generation’s replayability is Pokedex Completion, and battling against other players... the bar is also kinda low. They ain’t gonna have too many hoops to jump through to equal RB/GS/RS/DP/BW/XY/SM.

It’s fine to want them to add more stuff to SwSh, it is one of the reasons they gave for [Redacted] after all and more content is always great. It’s fine if you don’t think what’s been shown so far is worth the $60, they haven’t been this tight-lipped about what is coming in the new games in a long time and I think that in addition to [Redacted] what has people in a frenzy. It’s not fine to twist someone’s words like that. Ohmori gave, as others have said, a non-answer that offers no new information. All that was basically said was “There will be as much to do as previous games, here’s two examples of things we’ve shown to be in the game that I think will add a lot of replay value if people really get into them”. Nothing about the post game and nothing along the lines of “That’s all there is”.

Shifting the topic is a good idea, and I might as well start with some aspects that, while unlikely to appear, would be greatly appreciated. For instance, trainer nicknaming their Pkm (not counting trade Pkm!). Of course, not all of them should, but I imagine that if we were in the world of Pkm, at least there should be some people who love their Pkm that much to give them another name but their own. This could illustrate the bond between trainer and Pkm and also lead to hilarious moments. Ever fought against someone who nicknamed their Ferroseed "Hug me :["? That could be touched upon.
I do tend to nickname ‘mons, especially those I tend to use competitively. (often with a theme in mind) In fact, my first playthrough for a generation, starting back in Gen 3, traditionally involves me catching and using the region’s common bird and naming it either Bob or Barbara Ann depending on gender. The one time I broke it was because I felt Pearl fit Pikipek more due to the shape of its head. (And man did Pearl the Toucannon come in clutch in the final battle) So for SwSh I’ll probably be beating that with a Corviknight named either Bob or Barbara Ann.

Oh hey, Sword & Shield is getting its own Tetris 99 Cup and theme! Surprised we're getting another so soon after the Luigi's Mansion one, but hey, this is neat.

(Also, the screens on the side all have different Pokémon sprites representing them. I had a look, and all of them are Pokémon already confirmed for the game -- they're being very careful with what they put in pre-release stuff)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)