Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Will the strong pokemon (i.e. Haxorus) in the wild area respawn after catching them?
The strong pokemon are actually just random spawns that happen to be more powerful. You can catch them, have a loop around, and they'll likely be there again after a while.
They're not actually stationary encounters like legendaries.

I don't think Game Freak is cruel enough to make Trade Evolution Pokemon appear in the wild and have them not respawn after accidentally KOing them.
They are cruel enough to give the wild Dusknoir *CURSE*.
It *WILL* seppuku rather than letting you catch him :(

Official number is 6 million copies sold in the first week. Quickest to reach that number and most sold within first week in Switch history. That said, I'm not sure when the cut off is, e.g. if it's Tuesday, then really it's 6 million copies in 5 days.

According to this article, there were 2 million copies (physical and digital) sold in Japan within the first week, a Switch record.

Last edited:
Official number is 6 million copies sold in the first week. Quickest to reach that number and most sold within first week in Switch history. That said, I'm not sure when the cut off is, e.g. if it's Tuesday, then really it's 6 million copies in 5 days.
Are you telling me that my prediction about SwSh going to recordsale and that the vocal minority on socials not counting at all in the long run compared to the insane majority of casual players is coming true? Who would have guessed :smogthink:

Am I missing something with Surprise Trade?

When they announced it, I misunderstood it to mean you could finally set a whole box to go out on Wonder Trade without having to do each Pokemon individually. Instead, you get to avoid watching the trade animation, but you still have to set each one manually, it seems to take forever, and you can't set up anything else online while it's running.

Edit: The one I'd set up just finished, and actually...you do have to watch the animation? What the fuck?

The point is you send a trade out and can still continue doing whatever you want instead of being forced to do nothing til a partner comes along.

You'd be stuck in a waiting screen for up to a minute and a half.
I guess so. It very rarely ended up being nearly that long, though. It seems like they made the feature worse. At best, it's a wash with how long you have to wait and the other online options being locked up. It's very frustrating that there's still no way to set a whole box to go out, or even to release a whole box. Lock it behind a settings option that's not available until you've beaten the game to avoid accidents and make people double-confirm that they're sure, but it should be possible.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So I just finished the post game story and, while I have some side things left to do, I'm guess I'm done playing the main bulk of Pokemon Shield. Obviously there's a few things I want to mention so let's jump to it:

WARNING: Spoilers Ahead

Man, they really took their time getting to the 1st Gym, though once you do you get through the first three at a quick pace (then you have to venture through the latter part of the Wild Area). The Gyms had a bit of the SM Island Trials mixed in, unlike past games you need to complete the "Gym Mission" once you start it or have to start it over if you quit. I like this and now that we have an actual trainer battle after we're done it feels like the Island Trials done better.
For the first three Gym Missions I liked Milo's the best as rolling the herd of Wooloo around was both fun and funny (if not a bit simple, but then again it is the first Gym). Nessa's was probably the most traditional of them, it was essentially an opening/closing door puzzle but the doors were geysers; it was alright and did get me thinking ahead at the end. Kabu's mission I'm not sure if I did correctly but I did pass it on my first try. I "competed" alongside Gym Trainer (who this time were actual trainers working for the Gym instead of just random Trainer of various Trainer classes you fight in the Gym which was neat to see, hope they keep that idea) to be the first to catch/knockout a wild Pokemon... and all I did was inflict them with Paralysis (Toxel & Toxtricity are new faves of mine) and threw a Great Ball at them which caught on the first attempt. And while Milo and Nessa weren't that difficult to battle, Kabu surprised me as he started throwing around Will-o-Wisp and his Arcanine was bulky... though was able to OHKO his Gigantamax because 4x weak to Rock).
And then when you're about to set out for the next leg of the Wild Area they had a cute scene where Milo, Nessa, and Kabu get together to cheer you on. It actually made it feel like these Gym Leaders were indeed giving you guidance and support instead of just a tougher trainer that stood around giving you the next key to progress through the story.

Going off on a quick tangent here, I love how the Gyms have a shop which sells the uniforms for the other 10 Gyms that were regulated to the unseen minor League. While it's a shame you don't get to battle them it is neat to see what their Gym Uniforms would have looked like. Not that I wore any of them, infact I didn't find myself buying any clothes. I wanted to, but nothing really stood out to me so ended up going through the game with my default clothing. And, if you couldn't have guessed, my Gym uniform number was "315".

So, back in the Wild Area though I first did a quick round around the Lake District getting my revenge on all the Pokemon I was previously underleveled for but now they were underleveled for me! MUAWAWAWA! I then proceeded to the next part of the Wild Area where I got my comeuppance by once again running away from all the higher-leveled wild Pokemon (though at least this time I had a bike). Neat they put a Nursery in the Wild Area (though kind of feels odd you don't go inside it (and you technically don't need to go inside the other one either), I guess it does save time). After I had my fill of catching all that I could & doing some Raids which were now getting difficult (or rather the NPC trainers they give you are becoming less useful and even a hindrance) I head to the Dragon Palace city, Hammerlocke.

I'll admit I don't remember anything major happening in Hammerlocke aside seeing the tapestries in the vault revealing there was two heroes instead of one. So off to Stow-on-Side which is the first version exclusive Gym, Shield has Allister. I was curious if this also meant version exclusive Gym Mission... and no. While they're themed and colored differently, both are that pinball/spinning seat puzzle. Oh well. Beat Allister (and his G-Max Gengar...) where I then see Bede destroying a monument wall raving he must get Wishing Stars for Rose. No surprise, we stop him. But big surprise, Rose and Oleana come running up and disqualify Bede from the Gym Challenge! Wow, someone doing something wrong and it having consequences, that's rare to see in Pokemon. And that's followed by a comedic moment where Sonia hopes the wall will survive the incident... only for it to then crumble apart. But it's a good thing cause it reveals there's statues behind the wall that shows the two heroes were helped by two Pokemon wielding a sword and shield, le gasp! Maybe this mystery would hold more water if the mascot Legendaries weren't on the box cover.

Off through Glimwood Tangle and Sonia we need to talk. If you remember, Glimwood Tangle is where Sonia setup that 24 hour livestream and we saw a whole batch of Pokemon. Well, don't know where she setup the camera, but there are no Pikachu, Cottonee, or Morelull in that forest (though there is Shiintoc, one which I added to my team cause Spore and strong against Dragon); also Swirlix is only in Sword while Shield has Spritzee. Not only that, there were WAY more interesting Pokemon like Morgrem, Hattrem, Sinistea, and Indeedee (there was also Passimian and Oranguru).

Getting to Ballonlea, well first thing first I deliver a letter I was given by a little girl to a friend of her. However an odd thing about the letter was it was old. And the person she's friends with is an old man who then tells you that its from a childhood friend of his who he got into an argument with because she had a sickness and they stopped talking. Yup, we've got out ghost of this game. If that wasn't strange enough, I then met the Artist trainer class of this game which are horrifying looking men and this one thought he was a Fire-type Pokemon and wanted us to dress in fire-themed clothes, doing so giving us TM78 which is Acrobatics, a Flying-type move.

Get to the Gym and you find out its Gym Leader, Opal, is looking for someone to replace her. She's using her Gym Mission as a sort of interview, you battle three trainers and are asked questions getting a stat boost if correct or stat decrease if wrong. They start out simple but she then asks a trick question at the end, not that it wasn't hard to win regardless. Then it's the actual Gym Battle and to my surprise the interview questions continues and all of them are trick questions! Think her favorite color is Pink? Nope, it's purple but since she's a Fairy-type trainer she just likes to see pink on other things. Say she's 88 years old, she admits it's true but didn't like you were to blunt (she wanted you to tell her she was 16) so decreased your Pokemon's stats anyway. As before, nothing that was hard to overcome and is kind of a funny gimmick that makes the battle memorable. After that it's back to Hammerlocke either via warping there with Opal or getting their on your own (I decided to go with Opal as I had no reason to backtrack).

In Hammerlocke you meet up with Bede who's frustrated he's been disqualified. He asks if you're there to mock him and you have a choice of saying yes or no; I said "no" (in my head my character is a nice guy who's just being pushing along this crazy ride) and he actually seemed a bit thankful I wasn't judging him. No matter what we battle of course and I win, and that's where things get uncomfortable. Opal comes onto the scene and, seeing Bede's purple-pink coat and liking his "combat pragmatist"-attitude gets up into his personal space and decides Bede will be her replacement. Bede is obviously freaked out but she convinces him by saying Oleana just used him to collect Wishing Stars and she'll give him what he wants.

After that it's off to Circhester and, wow, this is a rather big city! I explore all that I could, probably took maybe 30 minutes(?), and went to the Gym for the second and final version exclusive Gym. In Shield it's an Ice-type though, like with Stow-on-Side, the Gym Mission could easily be swapped to being a Rock-type which is what Sword has. You basically use Item Finders to try and avoid falling down hidden pitfalls walking over a field of snow. It was fine for the most part and only at the end was I kind of confused where it wanted me to go without falling into a pit. But to the end I got and battled & defeated Melony. After the battle I then met with Sonia (and Hop, who had this whole story going on about how he lost to Bede before getting to Hammerlocke the first time that put him into a depressed funk) and we found out more about the heroes and "the Darkest Day".

It's now down to Spikemuth though before we do we finally get the Water Bike upgrade! I then spend my next play session backtracking to see where I could use the Water Bike, including in the Wild Area; notably the Lake of Outrage (I see what you did there GF) which spawns a random Eeveelution on the overworld to catch everyday!

I'll stop here for now though I feel that's appropriate as starting Gym 7 things start ramping up. But for now, honestly it's hard to get into words what I'm thinking. I want to say Sword & Shield feels both like a typical Pokemon game yet not. Like, the very core basics are the Pokemon adventure we all know, yet the elements other games included to give some complexity are different in Sword & Shield. Most notably, while in past games they relied on the villain team to carry the second plotline by you constantly running into them and getting involved with their plans. However in SwSh the second plotline has to do with Sonia piecing together the mystery of the Two Heroes and The Darkest Day. Team Yell encounters are few and far between resulting in not a lot of battling. Infact I probably gotten most of my Pokemon's experience from catches then trainer battles (but when I do battle trainers it does feel like a boost in experience but not my main source of experience) and I'm barely keeping over the levels of everyone else. And the mystery is certainly interesting even if we all already know what one of the reveal is going to be (hint, the Two Heroes aren't humans). They're certainly building up The Darkest Day... but how does it all pay off? Well, that's what tomorrow's post will be about.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Before I start today's "review", want to mention a money making "exploit" that requires some work but once the work is all done can get you nearly 100k per battle in the replayable Champion Tournaments.

If you have the Gigantamax Meowth train it to Level 100 and have it hold an Amulet Coin or Luck Incense. Then compete in a Champion Tournament, Gigantamax Meowth, and have it use G-Max Gold Rush for all three turns. For every battle you get 100k, and with Champion Tournaments having 3 battles that's 300k in just a few minutes.

NOTE there is some complication depending on the version you have. The most notable is for Shield players, G-Meowth can't use Gold Rush on Allister's Ghost Pokemon so if you get him you'll just have to settle for 200k or restart your game (obviously save before going into a Champion Tournament if you plan on restarting). For Sword players just be cautious with Bea as her Fighting-types may knock out Meowth before it's done using all three Gold Rushes. Also you may need to do a few battles with each trainer to know on which Pokemon it's a good time to do this. Also you probably won't be using G-Meowth against your opponent's Dyna/Gigatamax Pokemon so be aware of that too (bring in one or two bulky Pokemon that can take Max hits and just heal them for three turns).

Onto the review:

Finally got to Spikemuth to discover the entrance is closed. But before the cutscene showing this even ended we're called over by Marnie who up till this point had completely vanished from the story. Marnie shows us a back way in but we have to battle her first as she sees us as a worthy rival. Inside we discover that Spikemuth is where Marnie & Team Yell are from, infact Team Yell are revealed to have been the Gym Trainers for Spikemuth's Gym in disguise to support Marnie who is the little sister of the Spikemuth Gym Leader, Piers (who was absent during the opening ceremonies which showed all the other Gym Leaders probably to keep this reveal a secret though sort of has an ingame explanation as well). The Gym Mission is just running down an ally where we battle through Team Yell members, nothing that hard both in task nor difficulty.

Finally we get to Piers and, oh boy, we got to talk about Piers. First off, GameFreak, if you're not going to have voice acting in your game don't make one of your characters a singer. It looked rather pathetic to see Piers rocking out but no vocals to go along with the actions (they didn't even have lyrics show up in a text box). When Piers finally notices you he then says some "wait, what" things. First he's surprised to see a Gym Challenger thinking that no one showed up before because no one wanted to bother with him. Also before and after your Gym Battle he talks as if he's a weak trainer and even tried to push the Gym Leader title onto Marnie show rejects it because she's trying to become Champion then gives Piers a pep talk saying she learned how to be a trainer from watching his battles. So, notice anything wrong with this? First off, doesn't matter if people like you or not, you're the 7th Gym Leader, Gym Challengers HAVE to challenge you before moving on (had he said he thought no Gym Challenger got this far would have been more understandable). Also, he considers himself weak... BUT HE'S THE SEVENTH GYM LEADER! We're told the Gym Leaders in the Major League are ordered by their "strength" which is even more notable for Piers because he doesn't Dynamax his Pokemon. He's the second to last Gym Leader and doesn't use the power-up all other Gym Leaders before & after him uses... yet he thinks he's weak?

"Well obviously he's supposed to be an emo/goth character, him being pessimistic is part of that". Yeah, I guess, but that's not the only problem with Piers. BTW, this is the end of Team Yell storyline. I don't blame you for not realizing, because they were barely involved in the story to begin with. Off the top of my head you battled them 4 times before Spikemuth (Budew Inn, getting the bike, before Stow-on-Side, and getting the water bike) and any other time you saw them they were just progression walls that vanished once you got the next Badge. And aside from the Budew Inn they never really did anything to hamper the progress of the other Gym Challengers. Piers didn't even know they were doing this nor that they closed Spikemuth's gate thus why he wasn't seeing any Gym Challengers. YET, I think they intended us going through Spikemuth was equal to when we raided Po Town in Gen VII. Piers even has his own battle theme like he was some kind of big antagonist or mastermind like Guzma was. But, no GF, if that's what you were going for you missed the mark by a mile. Team Skull was a constant nuisance causing actual trouble, Po Town was a rather intimidating place and you had to go all around town to get into the Shady House that presented its own puzzles, and Guzma was masterminding all this and was a threatening figure who literally threatened you. Meanwhile Team Yell barely did anything bothersome, Spikemuth is grungy but otherwise being kept together and you just had to run down a hallway to get to Piers, and Piers is a chill dude who didn't realize what his followers were doing and kept his duty as Gym Leader. They even gave Piers a similar hangup that Guzma had, Guzma refused to use Z-Moves and Piers refuses to Dynamax (Rose even tried to move his Gym to a power spot but Piers refused).

This whole thing falls flat and sadly Marnie also suffers for this. However we'll get to Marnie during the post game talk. For now, we're done with Spikemuth and heading back to Hammerlocke.

... Oh, yeah, Piers is the first Dark-type Gym Leader, ~woo~.

Before getting back to Hammerlocke the ground shakes and a bright red flash is seen. On Route 7 a Wild Pokemon suddenly Dynamaxed but Leon was quick to swoop in to take care of it. Just another buildup for the Darkest Day mystery which was when Wild Pokemon all over Galar suddenly Dynamaxed and went on a rampage until the hero, or rather heroes, stopped them all.

But no time to worry about that, for once the adults are actually taking charge and handling these major situations (on either the second of third visit to Hammerlocke there was also another quake event with the source being Rose's power plant under Hammerlocke Stadium, something Leon also said he'll take care of). We get back to Hammerlocke and, with Gym Challengers now having been able to defeat Piers and move on, Raihan is busy knocking them down. Raihan has been built up as Leon's rival so there was a bit of an expectation that his Gym Mission or at least he would provide a tough challenge. And, yeah, they delivered! Raihan's Gym Mission are Weather-based Double Battles. You battle a Sun, Rain, and Hail team and if not prepared it can be quite challenging as you also have to deal with Dragon-types. However you may have noticed a missing weather team. Well, what did you think Raihan used? Raihan's battle was a Sandstorm Double Battle and his Gigantamax was Duraludon and I was actually having to think ahead/on my toes even with a Flygon that knew Earthquake (notable troublemaker being his Sandaconda giving out Paralyzing Glares). But I eventually beat him getting all 8 Badges.

I really like this Gym just because it wasn't just type dependent but used something which I (and I'm sure many others) said they could base Gyms or something similar around that isn't just Types. For Raihan's Gym it was weather and, even though they did have to use Dragon-types, I still felt they showed off how effective a Weather strategy could be. It does make me hopeful maybe we will eventually see Gyms using other strategies aside using a single Type, maybe even not focusing on Types (well, probably not, but at least give them a strategy and don't be afraid to give them Pokemon not of their Type specialization if it helps with the strategy like we saw with Raihan).

We take the train from Hammerlocke to Route 10 (reusing the same cutscene of us and Hop looking at our Rotom Phones as we did the first time we rode a train, half of the dex was cut for this) where we come across two characters I thought we'd see more of: Reporter Gillian and Cameraman Cam. We saw them way back on Route 5 after having won our first Gym Badge. Considering the theme of Sword & Shield, where strong trainers are celebrities, I thought after every Gym Battle or at least after ones which mark a next step on our journey (after Motostoke, after Ballonlea, and after Spikemuth) we'd have a battle with them as we're told how we're getting more popular and having an unseen growing fanbase (in the Gyms we have like a single fan and after we beat the Gym we get a batch of people cheering for us in the hallway but other then that you don't really get the feeling you have a slew of fans). But no, after Route 5 it's not until now they reappear just before we arrive to the Champion Cup. Gabby and Ty they are not.

Anyway, we arrive to Wyndon and after spending about an hour or exploring and getting any of the items there is to collect I sign up for the Champion Cup. And with that all the Gym Challengers who made it thus far go through the preliminaries. And so we have our final matches with Hop and Marnie, they even get a special version of their themes as they go all in saying how they made it this far and they're not going to lose, they can't lose... and of course they lose because they don't have an omnipotent being controlling their every action and decisions. They're good sports about it, though you can tell Hop is absolutely crushed from it.

So, thinks escalate a bit from here and to a point where things don't make sense so bear with me.

That night the player & Hop are waiting at the hotel for Leon who promised to take us out for dinner. However Leon hasn't shown up and Hop is insisting this isn't like him and they should go looking for him. I'm curious if this is maybe supposed to show Hop is having a bit of a meltdown after losing and so being a bit clingy to Leon (well, more than usual), but I don't think that's what they were going for. Piers shows up, him and Team Yell there to support Marnie, and seeing Hop stirring up a fuss asks what's wrong and reveals he saw Leon heading to Rose Tower. So turns out Leon had a meeting with Rose, nothing to be concerned about. However Hop is obsessively insisted on seeing Leon so heads off to Rose Tower, I and Piers following him outside the hotel as he's acting a bit paranoid.

Well, Hop's paranoia apparently turns out right as suddenly Oleana appears saying we're not allowed to interrupt Leon and Rose's meeting. While I personally would have asked how she knew we were doing that and if she's spying on us, but Oleana continues by saying only those approved her Rose and her can go to Rose Tower. But instead of just walking away thus us having no choice but to wait in the hotel for Leon's return, Oleana instead says she's given the key to access Rose's Tower to a Staff member who will now go hiding somewhere for us to find. The justification for this is Oleana saying Rose loves to play games and she's hoping setting up this game could gain her admiration... what? Well, Oleana vanishes and the Key Staff member goes into hiding. Piers decides to help us, him having that personal vendetta against Rose for trying to move his Gym so is glad to mess with any plan he has, and gathers up a few members of Team Yell (also Marnie shows up at some point during all this and joins us in the search). After playing a few rounds of hide-and-battle-and-seek we get the key and head to the monorail but, oh no, more Oleana's personal staff members are blocking our way. That's when Piers does something both funny and cool and he starts performing in the middle of the station, and being he's a well known singer (which once again what was with him acting like no one wanted to bother with him?), everyone rushes down the stairs which knock away the staff members letting us through.

At Rose Tower, Marnie stays behind with Piers to keep anyone from following me and Hop into Rose Tower. In Rose Tower we start going up the elevator, battling Oleana's staff members along the way as they spout trivia about the tower (like assuring the tower and elevator was made for battling in and on so no worry about causing any damage), and we get to the top where Oleana is waiting. She's pissed, and we have a battle where she uses Pokemon that wouldn't look out of place on Lusamine's team (aside from Milotic which Lusamine did use). At least until we get to her final Pokemon: Garbodor which she Gigantamax. Now initially, while I noticed the oddity, I didn't really think much on it or there might have maybe been another theme to her team I missed. However, when I later listened to all the battle themes on Youtube, for Oleana's I saw someone mention how it was a representation that while she's beautiful on the outside she's an ugly person on the inside. All right, makes sense. At least until I then read that it's actually connected to her backstory that I can't find in-game (if someone knows where this backstory came from I'd like to know): Oleana is from a very poor family and her only childhood friend was a Trubbish. At some point she met Rose who made her his personal assistant which lifted her from poverty and she's now absolutely loyal to him (Rose seems to have a track record of doing this, it's a similar story with Bede who is revealed to have no family but at some point meets with Rose who sponsors him and Bede becomes loyal to him). But back to Oleana, her G-Garbodor is obviously the childhood Trubbish which would go against the idea her team represents "outward beauty but inside ugliness"; rather it makes her team feel like it represents that no matter how much beauty Oleana has now she hasn't forgotten her roots and loyalty.

Anyway, with Oleana defeated we're allowed to where Leon and Rose are and overhear some of the conversation: Rose needs Leon's help to prevent an energy disaster that'll happen a thousand years from now to the point he's considering cancelling the Champion Cup. Leon points out this is an extreme action and to let the Champion Cup go on for the last day which then after he'll have all the time to help Rose. Both realize I and Hop had entered and Hop tells Leon he was concerned when he didn't show up. Leon apologizes and says they'll all leave to have dinner at the hotel, bidding Rose farewell and they'll talk more after the Champion Cup. Rose says to himself that tomorrow is going to be a day to remember.

Tomorrow morning starts and, though we don't have an Elite Four, instead we have the Finals Tournament where the Gym Challenger that won the preliminaries and the Major League Gym Leaders battle to decide who faces against Leon (thus explaining how Raihan faced Leon last year). Alright, while I like having an Elite Four, for the Galar League I can understand why it doesn't quite work but this is a fair compromise. But even before we begin the matches Bede, now in the Fairy Gym Trainer clothes, come marching onto the field demanding a battle with me. Apparently he's not liking Opal's training and is on the verge of quitting being a trainer, saying he'll do so if he loses to us. Leon (filling in for Rose who's not at this year's Champion Cup, you can already tell this isn't going to end well...) agrees to let the battle happen and, much like we had against Hop and Marnie, we defeat Bede. Bede, feeling fully defeated, says he'll keep his end of the promise to quit, but everyone in the crowd cheers for Bede encouraging him not to give-up but start over his career as the new Fairy Gym Leader. With a crowd of people cheering him on, Bede agrees to start over.

The official Finals start and it's a simple 8 person knockout tournament (poor Milo being paired with Raihan in their first match). The first two rematches go pretty much as you expected, just a tougher version of their Gym Battle (first round was Nessa and second was Allister). Raihan was the final opponent of the finals and since these are single battles he had to make some changes to his team... for the worse. He just kept changing the weather around, I don't think it was until he sent out his G-Duraludon did any of his Pokemon do damage to mine. It was rather baffling and pathetic for someone who's the 8th Gym Leader and Leon's rival. But yeah, I won the Champion Cup thus am given the opportunity to battle Leon for the Champion title!

Sorry, but gonna have to stop there. I would continue, but I have a LOT to talk about what happens next. Because the plot decides to happen... and if you thought what Oleana did makes no sense then remember who she learned from.

Before I start today's "review", want to mention a money making "exploit" that requires some work but once the work is all done can get you nearly 100k per battle in the replayable Champion Tournaments.

If you have the Gigantamax Meowth train it to Level 100 and have it hold an Amulet Coin or Luck Incense. Then compete in a Champion Tournament, Gigantamax Meowth, and have it use G-Max Gold Rush for all three turns. For every battle you get 100k, and with Champion Tournaments having 3 battles that's 300k in just a few minutes.
Not quite, actually -- it's even better than that.

The formula goes like this:-
- 100 X Level on first cast
- 200 X Level on second cast
- 300 X Level on third cast

So you're getting a LOT of money per battle.

Not quite, actually -- it's even better than that.

The formula goes like this:-
- 100 X Level on first cast
- 200 X Level on second cast
- 300 X Level on third cast

So you're getting a LOT of money per battle.
I'm pretty sure the amount you can pick up at the end of a battle caps at 99,999. I've been using this trick and haven't managed to get any higher.

Now I'm curious whether you can use this to get money in Max Raid battles.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm pretty sure the amount you can pick up at the end of a battle caps at 99,999. I've been using this trick and haven't managed to get any higher.
Doing some research into this, apparently this 99,999 cap also existed in ORAS for the move Pay Day. Though still seems odd they could cap it at all, like I can't think of any other way you could make more money and you're only missing out on 20k which is comparison isn't a lot.

Now I'm curious whether you can use this to get money in Max Raid battles.
You can try it but I'm guessing no. Not only would I assume the person I read this from would have tried that, but since your Pokemon doesn't gain Experience I'm assuming Raid Battles uses a different set of mechanics where the only awards the player gets is the Pokemon (if they chose to and are able to catch it) and the items the Raid Pokemon had in its den.

Though still seems odd they could cap it at all, like I can't think of any other way you could make more money and you're only missing out on 20k which is comparison isn't a lot.
I think it's probably capped more for integer overflow reasons than balance reasons, like the previously existing HP cap. It just didn't occur to them that the number you could earn from battles might exceed that amount.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Sorry it took me so long, let's finish the main game storyline:

It's time! I vs Champion Leon! The unbeatable Gym Challenger vs the unbeatable Champion. We both walk onto the field to start our battle... and the ground begins to quake and the sky darkens. Huh, that's not supposed to happen until we Dynamax/Gigantamax our Pokemon. Just then Rose appears on the jumbotron and tells everyone that, for the good of the Galar region and to solve an energy crisis 1,000 years down the line, he unleashed the apocalypse!

We all run outside and start getting reports of wild Pokemon suddenly Gigantamaxing and the center of the chaos is the power plant in Hammerlocke so we all head there. Leon runs ahead to face Rose and whatever he unleashed however I and Hop meet up with Sonia and Professor Magnolia. We talk a bit how this is essentially the Darkest Day and we really need to find the Two Hero Pokemon who stopped the original Darkest Day. With Sonia having gone around doing all the research thus is the most knowledgeable of the event, that is when Magnolia decides to retire and announce Sonia as her successor (because that's how that works in Pokemon I guess, though it is explained later that Sonia does have a doctorate)! Now with a lab coat, Professor Sonia has a quick brainstorm session with I and Hop and we all conclude that the mysterious Pokemon in the Slumbering Weald was probably one of the two heroes. So we fly over to the Slumbering Weald and we do encounter the mysterious Pokemon again but it vanishes. After getting deeper into the Weald we find a shrine where there's a rusted and badly damaged sword and shield lying on the floor. Hop takes the sword while I take the Shield, figuring it would be needed to get the help from the two heroes. With artifacts in hand we head back to Hammerlocke to help Leon and stop Rose.

In Hammerlocke Stadium we find Oleana who is panicking and worried about Rose. She said she called Rose's brother (which is a big "HMM" since, spoilers, he doesn't appear in this game. Possible hook for the third version/second paired games?) but he hasn't arrived yet so, with no other option, asks us for help. She lets us into the power plant and we quickly find Rose standing in a room that looks similar to the one in Team Flare's Lab that was using the Kalos Legends to power-up the Ultimate Weapon (this room, announcing the end of the word to everyone, trying to solve a world problem by himself with extreme methods; was Rose a college roommate with Lysandre or something?).

So, it's time to hear the whole story from Rose. What is this great disaster in one thousand years that actions must be taken RIGHT NOW to avoid and the action is unleashing a powerful evil upon the Galar Region? He tells us that Leon must battle and control Eternatus to ensure Galar's future of limitless energy. During the Finals Tournament they gave all the Wishing Stars they and Bede collected to Eternatus to awaken it. Alright, that explains what we overheard from your conversation with Leon, but why does this need to happen now? Wait, battle? Fine, but once we battle I would like more answers. We battle, pretty awesome music (for those wondering, the Latin chanting in the background is saying "Rose seta credo" which roughly translates to "Rose's bristling beliefs", aka we're being told that Rose has just made some very tough decisions), we also see Rose looking down grimly at the Poke Ball in his hand which you can take a few ways (I take it as a "why did it have to come to this?" expression, knowing he's probably not going to be written about too kindly in history but feels like this was the only way to save Galar). After we deal with all his Steel-types Rose admits defeat and apologizes for disturbing the Gym Challenge, however justifies it saying the energy crisis (in a thousand years) must be solved as soon as possible and by now Leon probably caught Eternatus. He tells both I and Hop, who he makes sure to mention he defeated in case we were wondering why Hop wasn't helping us, to take the lift up to see Leon.

AND that's it. That's pretty much the last we hear from Rose. He suddenly became a bad guy to solve an energy crisis, which we didn't know about until end game, which is going to happen for a thousand years. No explanation why he couldn't wait one more day so that the Champion Cup would finish and Leon then could provide his undivided attention in capturing Eternatus in a probably more controlled scenario. And this is STUPID. It's completely unrelatable, at least in the timescale they gave. Really, a THOUSAND years from now? And you couldn't wait a single day?

Now, here's the thing, GF COULD have made it relatable and even answered why it needed to be done now. First, chop off a zero. Make it a hundred years instead of a thousand. A thousand years in the future is just long enough for it to be hard to imagine. All the changes that could happen between now and then, especially with how fast technology is evolving. Like, a thousand years ago from 2019 we were in the midst of the medieval era where swords & shields were top-rated military technology. No, a thousand years it too long for us to take Rose's concerns with any seriousness (because how does he know Galar won't find another power source between then and now?). 100 years would make more sense because, well, it would align more with the message being presented: just because it's not happening now doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to prevent future disasters. You can relate that message to a lot of thing, though at this moment in time the most notable would be climate change where we won't really start feeling its effects in 100 years BUT we should be trying to prevent and fix damages now before its too late. Also it's more believable they wouldn't find an alternative energy source in a hundred years than a thousand.

But going back to the game, we also needed a reason why Rose needed to do this as soon as possible and couldn't wait a day. There's several things they could have done, but the simplest in my opinion would be saying that, before giving Eternatus any Wishing Stars, it was dying. Eternatus is an alien that landed in the Galar region 20k years ago and it generates the energy that causes the Dynamax phenomenon. A thousand or so years ago it woke up and caused the original Darkest Day but was taken down by the two heroes. It fell back into slumber until recent times where Macro Cosmos, Rose's company, found it and began siphoning its energy for the Galar region to power itself. However in doing so Eternatus was slowly dying, it didn't always look like a skeleton but that's just how much energy was drained from it. They used Wishing Stars to sustain it as long as they could but it kept requiring larger amounts and more frequently. Rose realized, for them to keep on draining energy from it to provide Galar with unlimited power, they would need to awaken Eternatus once again. But it was bad timing, it was the Champion Cup and while Rose thought he could keep Eternatus alive until the end of it turns out they only had enough Wishing Stars to either keep Eternatus alive for one or two days... or to wake it up. Believing he had no other choice, Rose decides to use all the remaining Wishing Stars to finally wake up Eternatus and hoped the taming of Eternatus by the Champion would justify the following disaster.

THERE GF! I gave you a way to make Rose's motivations more relateable (make it a 100 years instead of a thousand) and why it needed to be done now (Eternatus was dying and they barely had enough Wishing Stars needed to keep it alive or wake it up). Because I get the message they were trying to say, I want to agree with Rose and disagree with Leon but a thousand years without a reason why it needed to be done now is way too long. Had they done what I suggested or something similar I would instead be saying just hold off the Champion Cup for a few days, you don't need to cancel it completely. I think no one would complain if it was announced there was an emergency that needed both Rose's and Leon's attention so the Champion Battle would be held a few days later, you could even still do the Finals Tournament and have one/some of the Gym Leaders in the minor Leagues doing the hosting (some are probably there anyway). However this would make Leon look like the bad guy for wanting to hold off stopping a major region disaster to have a comparative little battling competition and they didn't want to do that. So instead Rose is the one made to look like a paranoid doomsayer... infact now thinking about it it's almost encouraging the opposite message (no need to take immediate action for a disaster that's happening in the far future) which is not a message we should be promoting at this point in time!

So we go to the roof and, as Rose said, we see Leon has taken down Eternatus and is just about to catch it... but then Eternatus breaks the Poke Ball and gets its second wind. With Leon exhausted and Eternatus looking straight as me and Hop, the battle starts. First form Eternatus was easy to knock out, so Eternatus stops playing around and launches itself into the sky in order to do its own version of Dynamax: Eternamax! Eternatus goes from being a skeleton dragon to a storm cloud/flying saucer with a large skeleton hand and no attack we choose is having an effect on it! That's when Hop remembers we have the Sword & Shield and we lift it up into the sky. The camera shifts to a rock formation in front of the shrine in the Slumbering Weald to reveal that it was actually covering the two Heroes as they slept: Zacian and Zamazenta (the one we saw before was a mirage form they used to keep an eye on the outside world). Both teleport to where we are and the sword and shield combine together to transform them into their Crowned forms. The battle starts again but this time we're able to attack it... for the little bit of chip damage we're able to provide. No, this is Zacian and Zamazenta's show now and they pretty much take out Eternatus. After they done all the work time for the humans to take the credit and reward, I chuck a Dynamax Dusk Ball at Eternatus (figured a Poke Ball that's made to seal darkness is fitting for a Pokemon of evil... though a part of me now thinks I should have used a Love Ball or Heal Ball for the lulz; too bad you don't get a Beast Ball until post game as that would have been good too). And with that Eterantus is captured, Galar is saved, and the Legendary Wolves give a howl before turning into energy and jumping into the horizen, clearing up the sky of the dark clouds and revealing the sun.

I think its implied a few days pass to do some clean-up by now its time for the rescheduled Champion match. Outside the hotel and outside & inside the stadium we're greeted by a cheering crowd rooting for either the new Champion or the Champion retaining his title. As before I and Leon get to the battlefield and, I'll give Leon some credit, he was a tough battle (admittedly that may have mainly been because I wanted to knock out his Charizard with my Cinderace, which I did though sadly not while both were Dynamaxed/Gigantamaxed), though I came out winning at the end with Cinderace kicking a flaming fireball into Charizard's face so maybe it was a good thing we didn't finish the battle while big. And with that the unbeatable Champion is beaten, replaced by a new unbeatable Champion, and Leon takes it all in stride throwing his cap into the air announcing us as the new Champion. CREDITS which end on a shot of the Slumbering Weald. Hmm...

And that was Sword & Shield (the main game, at least). As I said, it was a good game. But I knew that even before I played it. No matter how much we complain about all the decisions made that we don't like, at the same time the game did give me that satisfying experience that playing a new generation of Pokemon games should give. While Sword & Shield may have returned to Gyms you can tell that GF certainly experimented with other aspects such as the villain team not having a big role, the Champion Cup replacing the Elite Four, the main plot was about unraveling a past mystery than facing a villain team, and the overall feeling isn't one of self-discovery exactly but of becoming a big star and the glamour and responsibility that comes with. Also there was a theme of "passing the torch" from older generation to younger/future generation: Opal picking Bede to by the Fairy-type Gym Leader, Piers giving Marnie the Dark-type Gym Leader position, Magnolia making Sonia the professor of the Galar region, and Leon handing over the Champion title to us. Infact the only character who didn't seem to get anything was Hop... but maybe the post game tomorrow will answer to that.

AND that's it. That's pretty much the last we hear from Rose. He suddenly became a bad guy to solve an energy crisis, which we didn't know about until end game, which is going to happen for a thousand years. No explanation why he couldn't wait one more day so that the Champion Cup would finish and Leon then could provide his undivided attention in capturing Eternatus in a probably more controlled scenario. And this is STUPID. It's completely unrelatable, at least in the timescale they gave. Really, a THOUSAND years from now? And you couldn't wait a single day?

Now, here's the thing, GF COULD have made it relatable and even answered why it needed to be done now. First, chop off a zero. Make it a hundred years instead of a thousand. A thousand years in the future is just long enough for it to be hard to imagine. All the changes that could happen between now and then, especially with how fast technology is evolving. Like, a thousand years ago from 2019 we were in the midst of the medieval era where swords & shields were top-rated military technology. No, a thousand years it too long for us to take Rose's concerns with any seriousness (because how does he know Galar won't find another power source between then and now?). 100 years would make more sense because, well, it would align more with the message being presented: just because it's not happening now doesn't mean we shouldn't take steps to prevent future disasters. You can relate that message to a lot of thing, though at this moment in time the most notable would be climate change where we won't really start feeling its effects in 100 years BUT we should be trying to prevent and fix damages now before its too late. Also it's more believable they wouldn't find an alternative energy source in a hundred years than a thousand.

But going back to the game, we also needed a reason why Rose needed to do this as soon as possible and couldn't wait a day. There's several things they could have done, but the simplest in my opinion would be saying that, before giving Eternatus any Wishing Stars, it was dying. Eternatus is an alien that landed in the Galar region 20k years ago and it generates the energy that causes the Dynamax phenomenon. A thousand or so years ago it woke up and caused the original Darkest Day but was taken down by the two heroes. It fell back into slumber until recent times where Macro Cosmos, Rose's company, found it and began siphoning its energy for the Galar region to power itself. However in doing so Eternatus was slowly dying, it didn't always look like a skeleton but that's just how much energy was drained from it. They used Wishing Stars to sustain it as long as they could but it kept requiring larger amounts and more frequently. Rose realized, for them to keep on draining energy from it to provide Galar with unlimited power, they would need to awaken Eternatus once again. But it was bad timing, it was the Champion Cup and while Rose thought he could keep Eternatus alive until the end of it turns out they only had enough Wishing Stars to either keep Eternatus alive for one or two days... or to wake it up. Believing he had no other choice, Rose decides to use all the remaining Wishing Stars to finally wake up Eternatus and hoped the taming of Eternatus by the Champion would justify the following disaster.

THERE GF! I gave you a way to make Rose's motivations more relateable (make it a 100 years instead of a thousand) and why it needed to be done now (Eternatus was dying and they barely had enough Wishing Stars needed to keep it alive or wake it up). Because I get the message they were trying to say, I want to agree with Rose and disagree with Leon but a thousand years without a reason why it needed to be done now is way too long. Had they done what I suggested or something similar I would instead be saying just hold off the Champion Cup for a few days, you don't need to cancel it completely. I think no one would complain if it was announced there was an emergency that needed both Rose's and Leon's attention so the Champion Battle would be held a few days later, you could even still do the Finals Tournament and have one/some of the Gym Leaders in the minor Leagues doing the hosting (some are probably there anyway). However this would make Leon look like the bad guy for wanting to hold off stopping a major region disaster to have a comparative little battling competition and they didn't want to do that. So instead Rose is the one made to look like a paranoid doomsayer... infact now thinking about it it's almost encouraging the opposite message (no need to take immediate action for a disaster that's happening in the far future) which is not a message we should be promoting at this point in time!
While I didn't like how the main-story villain plot was handled, I personally liked Rose as a character.

The "good-looking guy turning out to be evil" thing is kind of overused in Pokémon, but in regards to that I think he's better than USUM Lusamine.

Making Rose "relatable" wouldn't have fixed anything, and IMO would have made him feel like a very generic villain. His ridiculous impatience is his unique trait.

for the little bit of chip damage we're able to provide. No, this is Zacian and Zamazenta's show now and they pretty much take out Eternatus.
While the dogs definitely do the heavy lifting in this fight, do note they can't win it alone. Eternatus spams -attack debuff and they will run out of PP for their signature move (eternatus has Pressure, so they can only use it 3 times) if Hop and the player don't actually provide enough damage to finish it off.

That said, I won't lie it's possibly one of the most epic moments I've seen in recent games, even with how relatively marginal the player's role is, and possibly my favourite soundtrack of the game.

In my opinion, Rose is built up as comparable to Maxie and Archie: he is sincerely convinced he's doing the best actions for humanity.
I think he qualifies as "misguided" bad guy as he's not aiming for anything grand like world domination or killing everyone for the sake of it, but he actually wants to make the world a better place, just doesn't realize he's actually going to blow up everything instead.
I think honestly SwSh doesn't actually have a bad guy or bad team.

I think the focus of the game is actually as Pikachu315111 guessed, the passing down of the burdens to the newest generation: lot of the gym leaders are older people who look forward to the young trainers, some actually do want to find a successor as they know their time is done, and even the whole plot of the game resolves about not leaving the world in a screwed up state just because it hasn't happened yet.
I do wonder if the Rose's arc took inspiration from a certain real world event that has been going on for the last year...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)