SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
More details:

Professor Sakuragi: A Pokemon researcher and the chief of Sakuragi Laboratory in Vermillion City. He's supporting Ash & Gou in their world travels, them using Sakuragi Laboratory as their homebase. In Japan he is voiced by Yūichi Nakamura, who previously voiced N in the anime

Koharu: The 10 year old daughter of Sakuragi and childhood friend of Gou. She loves her Yamper because its brimming with curiosity. In Japan she is voiced by Kana Hanazawa who previously voiced May in the ORAS Animated Trailer.

So guessing in this new series Ash and Gou are working for Sakuragi? Well, guess Ash's time as an Alolan Champion lasted all of two episodes it sounds like. Also does it feel odd to anyone else they gave Koharu a Yamper? Does Sakugari have a connection to the Galar region? Yeah, sure, he could have studied in Galar, caught a Yamper while there, and gave it to his daughter but that feels like the writers are trying to stretch to have a reason to have more Galar Pokemon show up even though seemingly a lot of this season is going to take place outside of Galar.

Episode 143 was absolutely fantastic. Great music choices all throughout and the animation was superb.

>Nagandel wins vs Lucario with one of the best Dragon Pulses in the entire series, and still does the adorable spin-thingy it did as a Poipole after winning.
>Ash subs Naga out for Torracat as Kukui brings Incineroar out for Round 2 of the rival showdown.
>Battle was amazing with each mon getting good hits in.
>Final part of the match is an Inferno Overdrive duel, kinda got vibes from the SP Cell vs SSJ2 Gohan Kamehameha beam struggle.
>CUE XYZ/ASH-GRENINJA THEME
>Torracat wins AND FINALLY EVOLVES INTO INCINEROAR...but faints standing up. Tbh, slightly disappointed, but I get it considering Torracat came through so hard in this match defeating both Venusaur and Incineroar.
>I get the feeling that Torracat was able to evolve for a while now, but wanted to wait until it finally defeated Kukui's Incineroar. If that's the case, Torracat/now Incineroar's probably gonna be my favorite of Ash's Pokemon from this arc, even though it already kinda is.
>Kukui's about to send his last Pokemon out, but is stopped by Tapu Koko.
>KOKO SLAPS THE BALL OUT OF KUKUI'S HAND LIKE A CHAD AND GETS READY TO BATTLE
>Naganadel comes back out and prepares to face Tapu Koko, but will most likely lose considering the preview for the next episode showing Pikachu fighting Koko as well, but at least Naga will soften it up for Pikachu with super effective Poison-type moves.
>In the preview, all 4 of the Tapus are doing some kind of ritual. Could be a restoration of Z-Power for Ash considering Pikachu looks like it's using Pikachu-Ash's Z-move from the games.
>Tapu Koko's gonna use the Guardian of Alola Z-move, looks epic.

Tbh this should have been the champion fight. It's WAY better than the Gladion battle.

Last edited:

RaJ.Shoot

Keep It Simple
LCPL Champion
Episode 143 was absolutely fantastic. Great music choices all throughout and the animation was superb.

>Nagandel wins vs Lucario with one of the best Dragon Pulses in the entire series, and still does the adorable spin-thingy it did as a Poipole after winning.
>Ash subs Naga out for Torracat as Kukui brings Incineroar out for Round 2 of the rival showdown.
>Battle was amazing with each mon getting good hits in.
>Final part of the match is an Inferno Overdrive duel, kinda got vibes from the SP Cell vs SSJ2 Gohan Kamehameha beam struggle.
>CUE XYZ/ASH-GRENINJA THEME
>Torracat wins AND FINALLY EVOLVES INTO INCINEROAR...but faints standing up. Tbh, slightly disappointed, but I get it considering Torracat came through so hard in this match defeating both Venusaur and Incineroar.
>I get the feeling that Torracat was able to evolve for a while now, but wanted to wait until it finally defeated Kukui's Incineroar. If that's the case, Torracat/now Incineroar's probably gonna be my favorite of Ash's Pokemon from this arc, even though it already kinda is.
>Kukui's about to send his last Pokemon out, but is stopped by Tapu Koko.
>KOKO SLAPS THE BALL OUT OF KUKUI'S HAND LIKE A CHAD AND GETS READY TO BATTLE
>Naganadel comes back out and prepares to face Tapu Koko, but will most likely lose considering the preview for the next episode showing Pikachu fighting Koko as well, but at least Naga will soften it up for Pikachu with super effective Poison-type moves.
>In the preview, all 4 of the Tapus are doing some kind of ritual. Could be a restoration of Z-Power for Ash considering Pikachu looks like it's using Pikachu-Ash's Z-move from the games.
>Tapu Koko's gonna use the Guardian of Alola Z-move, looks epic.

Tbh this should have been the champion fight. It's WAY better than the Gladion battle.
Ha I was right!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And so the final Alola Saga episode has aired. A quick rundown from what I could make out from the images:

• We continued from last episode where Lillie & Gladion have reactivated Magearna and I think shows them something.
  • The Rocket Trio leave behind Mimikyu, Mareanie, and their Z-Ring with Bewear and Stufful.
  • Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine leave on a cruise ship.
  • Mallow's brother returns with Gracidea flowers, allowing Shaymin to turn into its Sky Forme and leave.
  • Rotom Dex stays in Alola to work for the Aether Foundation.
  • Ash left his Alola team with Professor Kukui.
  • Professor Burnet is pregnant.

Last edited:
Yeah. Seems like they're just going to restart Ash's journey but with a cut in the Pokédex. So much for those 100+ Tauros Ash caught.

On a different note:
[From] WHAT [episode] IS THIS?!
I am dying to know. It has a Mega Metagross, a Metagross, two Metang, and a Beldum, and is called "Metagross Perfect Form".
Best I can tell, it is only in the Omake, but there HAS to be some reason the animators went to this extent, because it seems meant-to-be.

Edit: I figured it out. It is only in the omake. That's crumby. I'm gonna Theorymon this into Metagross the Metagame.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Yeah. Seems like they're just going to restart Ash's journey but with a cut in the Pokédex. So much for those 100+ Tauros Ash caught.

On a different note:
[From] WHAT [episode] IS THIS?!
I am dying to know. It has a Mega Metagross, a Metagross, two Metang, and a Beldum, and is called "Metagross Perfect Form".
Best I can tell, it is only in the Omake, but there HAS to be some reason the animators went to this extent, because it seems meant-to-be.

Edit: I figured it out. It is only in the omake. That's crumby. I'm gonna Theorymon this into Metagross the Metagame.
Looks like a rejected Gigantamax Metagross going off the trivia that Beldum's line "combination" evolution. Metang is 2 Beldum, Metagross is 2 Metang/4 Beldum, Mega Metagross is 2 Metagross/4 Metang/8 Beldum.

This thing looks to be 1 Mega Metagorss, 1 Metagross, 2 Metang, and 1 Beldum = 17 Beldum/8 Metang + 1 Beldum.

Honestly it looks better than some other Gigantamax.

Is it bad I never cared too much if Ash won or not?
Don't get me wrong, it's a monumental moment, but I feel cheated with the fact Ash's character changed negatively after Gen 4, and even worse after 5. 1 he was stupid, but at least he had great chemistry with others. 2 and 3 he matured, especially near the end, though he still had attitude
Then 4 he's noticeably passive, very basic
Then 5 he became stupider than Gen 1, only he was STILL really bland, and 6-present he simply remained bland and unaware. It feels soulless
Add the art change after 5 making him weirdly slender, and post 7 in basically toddlerfying him, I just don't recognize him anymore. He's just a generic trash Shounen protagonist now

Ah alright. Thanks!
I'll probably start in Season 1 for good measure, but knowing this I might just watch seasons out of order as I feel. It's been a good long time since I originally watched the Indigo League, so I dunno how much I'll even remember.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Galarian Meloetta:
I'd say the best way to do it is start watching from the first episode BUT, if you're not feeling the episode you're watching and it's not looking like an important episode (Bulbapedia's episode summaries could help you there), feel free to skip it. Pokemon has a lot of filler so don't feel you gotta watch all episodes.

The anime is designed to jump in at a new generation, because the writers know little kids aren't going to watch 1,000+ eps that came out before they were born. The kids watching now weren't even born when XY was airing in 2013, let alone any of the older stuff from the pre-2010's.

However I'd say at least watch the Kanto arc first, as it's the start of the show, introduces Ash/Pikachu and Team Rocket, and sets the backstory for the entire series. After Kanto (or Orange Islands), you can just jump around and pick and choose, as every saga is pretty much standalone aside from the few times old characters cameo or Ash brings back an older pokemon. But even then it's extremely brief. Most of the kids watching Sun/Moon probably had no idea who Misty/Brock even were outside the games, since Misty hadn't appeared in the anime for 12+ years since mid-Hoenn before that.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
So a couple of days I was just chilling on Discord when I see this image posted of Team Rocket pulling up with motherfucking Gyarados and Tyranitar staring down Ash, Go and their Ivysaur buddies.

Is there context I'm missing here? Did they lose them at the end of the episode? Was it a couple of Zoruas pulling a prank or something? Because if these are permanent additions to the team then dear god, Jessie and James really are not screwing around anymore.

So a couple of days I was just chilling on Discord when I see this image posted of Team Rocket pulling up with motherfucking Gyarados and Tyranitar staring down Ash, Go and their Ivysaur buddies.

Is there context I'm missing here? Did they lose them at the end of the episode? Was it a couple of Zoruas pulling a prank or something? Because if these are permanent additions to the team then dear god, Jessie and James really are not screwing around anymore.
They were given to the team by Headquarters. HQ should have given them a Rhydon or Rhyperior so they could have a Ground type that maybe has Lightning Rod and I'd never have to watch them blast off to Thunderbolt again.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
So Ash is going back to the Battle Frontier? But now it's in Hoenn?

Was this season just designed from the ground up to be as incredibly tone-deaf and terrible at actually advertising the games as possible?

While most of the story may be really rushed at Wyndon, and a LOT of the characters underdeveloped...I really like Leon’s final battle.

Leon was built up for pretty much the entire game. You saw him at the very start and you outright know he’s the champion. It’s like if Game Freak said: “Yeah, the whole “hidden Champion” thing is kinda pointless as most will know two months after release.” (Though I would say both SM/USUM were pretty good battles too.) While Leon being unbeatable gets kinda shoved down your throat early on, I think the actual battle is really well done.

You get that awesome cape throw as the music starts up, this time around a hopeful remix of the Hall of Fame, which, while it might not be as “epic” and “intense” as other themes, I honestly really like, even if the crowd drowns it out a bit.

His team is a doozy too. Leading with a former Uber in Aegislash, having a few varying mons depending on your starter (though other games have done this too). and that terrifying Haxorus. Charizard, while it also got shoved down our throat, is also pretty threatening (a neutral Fire Blast from regular Charizard came close to OHKOing my Cursola!). Not to mention the kinda annoying level spike out of absolute nowhere (though he’s far from the only Champion guilty of this). All in all, it’s a challenging fight that serves as a nice conclusion to the game. I liked how the other important battles made a comeback with remixes in the tournament too.

Honorable mention to Piers battle - THAT HARDCORE MUSIC and the atmosphere is awesome, despite how very undercooked Team Yell was as a whole.

While the game definitely has plot problems, I really enjoyed it, particularly with how the Gym Leaders had some decent strategies this time around too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)