2019-20 NBA Season

Was on vacation for the past week and woke up to news of the tragedy on Monday morning.

Mad respect to everyone in the league who didn't let this stop them from getting to work and playing the games.

We have a trade!

Houston: Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, SRP;
Atlanta: Clint Capela and Nene;
Minnesota: Malik Beasley, Juancho Hernangomez, Evan Turner, Jarred Vanderbilt, ATL 1st round pick via Nets;
Denver: Gerald Green, Keita Bates-Diop, Shabazz Napier, Noah Vonleh, Houston FRP.

Houston's really gonna have Bell and Tucker as their center rotation?
Do the Timberwolves have a point guard left?

Also, this means Morey traded CP3, Capela, 2020 first, 2024 first, 2026 first, 2021 swap, 2023 swap for Westbrook, Covington, and Jordan Bell.

Rockets just throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks now lol

Although I love Covington for them because he fits their system as well as anyone.

As a Celtics fan I'm glad Capella is off the table, as I have seen some terrible takes for him. For us, there are 2 things I'd like for the trade deadline. 1.) Trade for either Bertans or Bjelicia and 2.) finally get healthy. I'd prefer the latter more, but getting bench shooting would be huge for us, as we have one of the most productive first units (Kemba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Theis underrated defense), but after that it falls off. I love Smart with all my heart, but he isn't supposed to be a huge scorer, same with Kanter, but less intangibles. But if we could get a great shooter to come off the bench, we would be so much better, as our bench just struggles to score.

I think this deal is a net benefit for the rockets even if not a great one, since adding westbrook the team's tended towards smallball and covington fits that system as well as anyone else they could possibly add...except on the flipside I don't see this team matching up well with bigger lineups like the jazz or the lakers who're just gonna wall off the post and laugh as harden and westbrook brick 3s. honestly the biggest benefit the rockets got out of this deal was getting capela off their books because if they kept him they're pretty much stuck paying luxury tax 2021-23 with no guarantee of championship prospects, yeah they're still paying 2 supermax players and eric gordon but now they have some semblance of wiggle room for morey to work with. still no depth and they threw their draft pick board into the rio grande but what can you do (hint: trade harden while you can find takers for him).

about the other teams...capela and trae pnr looks lethal and sets a stronger foundation for the rebuild, I don't think the hawks will magically uptick from here but their longterm prospects did get better. nuggets also improved peripherally I think although most of their additions seem to be reinforcing against potential injuries. wolves...took expiring contracts and picks, this is a team that should be rebuilding and lbr wiggins is functionally the team's pg anyways. on that note everybody's been hyping a potential wiggins for d'lo deal but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that it never happens, the dubs have bigger fish to fry. anyone remember when people had legitimate playoff expectations for minnesota? yeah that's not happening for a while hahahahaha.

funnily enough I think that's the last deal we see for this year, next draft is apparently too ungood for picks to have much value and a lot of teams seem to want to stand pat and try and hold on to what they have, if pieces like bertans / morris / anyone on the kings pistons or thunder were up for an offer we would have heard more about it. a couple of weeks ago I would've said iguodala gets dealt to the clippers but now I'm pretty sure memphis winds up eating his contract just to fuck over everyone who thought they could buy him out, we all know he's taking a veteran minimum with gsw next season anyways.

anyways looking at the standings the top 4 teams are the bucks, the lakers (shocker), clippers (yawn) and...the raptors? (glass shatters) so toronto saw quite possibly the best player in the league walk in free agency and they're still looking to run it back? despite the rash of crippling injuries and the nightmare schedule? holy shit this team is good. looks like the road to the finals still crosses the 48th parallel, hope this turn of events has the cavs rolling in their graves lmao.

a couple of weeks ago I would've said iguodala gets dealt to the clippers but now I'm pretty sure memphis winds up eating his contract just to fuck over everyone who thought they could buy him out, we all know he's taking a veteran minimum with gsw next season anyways.
Grizzlies gonna waive him in March after the playoff eligibility deadline just to fuck him over too smh.

Atlanta won this trade. It allows John Collins to be a natural PF and gives them a legit future. I think they could be a sleeper team to make the bottom half of the East playoffs next year. Imagine that Trae and Capela PNR. My goodness. Plus, Capela is a pretty good rim protector and lob target so I think it's a good move on their part.
What the fuck is Minnesota doing? lololol How much longer are they gonna be a rebuilding team with KAT? Giving up Robert Covington for Malik Beasley and Juancho Hernangomez? Massive L.
Houston gets RoCo who is a good fit for their system and gets Capela off their books...but where's the defense? If Morey is gonna go all in on PJ Tucker being a center then good luck against the Lakers. The Rockets' window is already closed imo and they threw their future into a tornado in Oklahoma. Just trade Harden now at this point.
Denver gets off pretty good here too because they're trading away players they weren't gonna resign this summer and it opens the floor for more playing time for Michael Porter Jr.

Atlanta won this trade. It allows John Collins to be a natural PF and gives them a legit future. I think they could be a sleeper team to make the bottom half of the East playoffs next year. Imagine that Trae and Capela PNR. My goodness. Plus, Capela is a pretty good rim protector and lob target so I think it's a good move on their part.
What the fuck is Minnesota doing? lololol How much longer are they gonna be a rebuilding team with KAT? Giving up Robert Covington for Malik Beasley and Juancho Hernangomez? Massive L.
Houston gets RoCo who is a good fit for their system and gets Capela off their books...but where's the defense? If Morey is gonna go all in on PJ Tucker being a center then good luck against the Lakers. The Rockets' window is already closed imo and they threw their future into a tornado in Oklahoma. Just trade Harden now at this point.
Denver gets off pretty good here too because they're trading away players they weren't gonna resign this summer and it opens the floor for more playing time for Michael Porter Jr.
atlanta won, denver put themselves slightly ahead, minnesota technically lost considering that they could've gotten a better deal for roco and houston...avoided losing outright from a position that they couldn't win on. agree that their window is closed though barring multiple acts of god, and considering this team's record they'll probably just choke their good luck down the drain anyways lmao.

also just wanna say that I have zero sympathy for iguodala and I view the grizzlies potentially fucking him over as completely morally justifiable. while certainly iggy didn't ask to be dealt to a rebuilding team he's been remarkably petty about the whole thing and apparently has no problems with contenders dealing in bad faith with the grizzlies (because they assume that they'll be forced to buy him out anyways). I don't fault the grizzlies' young core for being willing to stand up for themselves and what they're building but I do fault iggy for the extremes he's taking ring chasing to.

atlanta won, denver put themselves slightly ahead, minnesota technically lost considering that they could've gotten a better deal for roco and houston...avoided losing outright from a position that they couldn't win on. agree that their window is closed though barring multiple acts of god, and considering this team's record they'll probably just choke their good luck down the drain anyways lmao.

also just wanna say that I have zero sympathy for iguodala and I view the grizzlies potentially fucking him over as completely morally justifiable. while certainly iggy didn't ask to be dealt to a rebuilding team he's been remarkably petty about the whole thing and apparently has no problems with contenders dealing in bad faith with the grizzlies (because they assume that they'll be forced to buy him out anyways). I don't fault the grizzlies' young core for being willing to stand up for themselves and what they're building but I do fault iggy for the extremes he's taking ring chasing to.
Andre Iguodala is being super petty for sure. He's a vet and he wants to win, I get that but he was just on the Warriors. He even won 2015 NBA Finals MVP. Now the Grizzlies are in the hunt for the 8th seed in the West, and with Iggy they'd probably be even better. Vince Carter could be ring chasing at this point but rn he's in Atlanta lol

goddamn, Riley gave him a 2-year extension worth... ALL THAT MONEY

EDIT: that second year is a team option
lmao I was wrong when I predicted that memphis would waive iggy. guess the heat provided a good offer (although the fact that the lakers will be the grizzlies' likely first round opponent and the heat aren't even in the same conference probably factored into it). iguodala crowder and hill for james johnson waiters and winslow seems like a sensible deal on both ends (winslow probably fits better on a rebuilding team, johnson's alright, and the heat are eating solomon hill's contract in exchange for memphis eating waiters').

surprisingly that was not the last major move - the wolves actually got d'lo and rotation pieces for wiggins and the wolves' first. funky. I didn't think that deal was worth making but...yeah the question here becomes what do the warriors see that we don't.

the interesting thing is that all 3 players miami would be free agents in 2021 anyways, while hill and crowder will be free agents later this year - you could say that miami want to clear up cap space earlier, but their eyes should be on 2021 right? unless they're looking at the one big free agent in 2020 - anthony davis. yes that feels like a stretch but I don't think the lakers' championship aspirations aren't all that great and neither are their longterm prospects, plus south beach is a pretty sweet place to end up. does ad jump ship following a potential flameout at the clippers' hands to be the guy on a legit superteam? either way this is a positive move for miami whose every move this season screams budding superteam.

by the same side of the coin the warriors were completely utterly fleeced by conventional logic, but then you consider that wiggins is having a career year and they have two lottery firsts to package with him...are they going to find a way to turn said package into the greek freak? does milwaukee fall short in front of toronto / miami / philadephia so badly that giannis gives up on the hope of bringing a ring to wisconsin? does our one year of nba parity end with resurgent superteams in both oakland and south beach? yeah I know it feels like a stretch but a year and a half ago if you suggested the raptors could ever win a chip you'd probably have been committed to a mental asylum. all I'm saying is that the signs are there, and stranger things have happened.

wtf is Bob Myers doing? Do they think Wiggins is suddenly going to turn into an all-star because "culture"?
the only way this deal makes sense if you consider that;
a) russell was a consolation prize for losing kd and he never had any future in oakland
b) the warriors decided that wiggins' athleticism would fit their lineup better than russell's shooting (which to me feels like a stretch but there's an argument to be made I think)
or c) the above, except the warriors also assumed that wiggins and two firsts make a better potential trade package for a superstar than russell. yeah wiggins is paid more than russell, has more obvious limitations and a lower ceiling but...two first round lottery picks is better than just one, and it might be enough for a desperate team to bite (especially in the age of superstars forcing their way out of midcard organisations). the question then becomes not 'what are the warriors looking to get out of wiggins' but 'who are the warriors looking to get out of wiggins'

• Iggy deal was decent for Miami, but they’re going to need Herro KO and Dragic to space the floor more than ever.
  • Andre Drummond is ultimately worth a second round pick and cap space and that still might be too much return
  • Marcus Morris and IT make the Clips a wagon but also compounds their issues going forward. Gotta pay Harrell, and Harkless is likely easier to keep than Morris in terms of price (and Bird Rights I think?).
  • DLo for Wiggins swap is a win-win imo. GS likely gets a talented player who can fill the Barnes role and more, while Minny gets its prize. GSW also get a pick.

• Marcus Morris and IT make the Clips a wagon but also compounds their issues going forward. Gotta pay Harrell, and Harkless is likely easier to keep than Morris in terms of price (and Bird Rights I think?).
  • DLo for Wiggins swap is a win-win imo. GS likely gets a talented player who can fill the Barnes role and more, while Minny gets its prize. GSW also get a pick.
IT got waived, feelsbadman.

I don't know what GSW wants to do with Wiggins. They're paying him $30M a year to be a screener? And not a very good one at that? He just doesn't seem to fit with Steph handling the ball, Dray facilitating, and Steph/Klay getting open for shots. Tbh they'd be better off bringing HarriB back.

Lmao I totally jinxed that game.

or we were letting Darren Collison know how many minutes he’d get if he signed with us

Lmao I totally jinxed that game.

or we were letting Darren Collison know how many minutes he’d get if he signed with us
Did you see the crowd going nuts when they showed him on the big screen? I think the fact that the Lakers did nothing at the deadline is a huge tipoff they expect Collison to sign on soon. Besides the notion that the clippers have rotation minutes for him with Lou and Beverly in the mix is stupid.

Also that 4th quarter was embarrassing

Did you see the crowd going nuts when they showed him on the big screen? I think the fact that the Lakers did nothing at the deadline is a huge tipoff they expect Collison to sign on soon. Besides the notion that the clippers have rotation minutes for him with Lou and Beverly in the mix is stupid.

Also that 4th quarter was embarrassing
Clippers just want to grab him so we can't tbh. Elsewhere, Marvin Williams is securing a buyout and aims to sign with the Bucks. I'm definitely not comfortable going into the playoffs with our current roster. Hopefully we get Collison and maybe Harkless if he gets bought out.

At least the All Star break is soon, this team needs that time off and regroup.

Also, on the Gobert goaltend no-call...

EDIT: Dame responds

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)