SS OU Obstagoon and Conkeldurr in Double Guts Offense

Hello there, I'm SilkScarfGroudon and today I am bringing for you to rate and improve another OU team. But before we start I will say some major flaws I noticed with my team:​
• The team suffers a lot with sub-DD dragapult, I need this in special to be fixed.
• My team is terrible against trick room, while it doesn't bother that much it still a big flaw.
• If Obstagoon or Conkeldurr aren't already burned to absorb status or they are dead paralysis stop my team.
• My team gets obliterated by fairies.

Now let's get right into the team!

The Team
1579320077787.png
1579320109527.png
1579320145398.png
1579320190326.png
1579320215826.png
1579320302528.png

Movesets, EVs and IVs

1579320077787.png

Hello There (Obstagoon) (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Obstruct
- Knock Off
- Close Combat

Before I start explaining everything, yes, this is a Star Wars reference, now with this out of the way let's go to the explanation. Well, this doesn't needs much explanation, this is the smogon set and really there is not much you would want to run besides this set, there is some sets with defiant and and a scarf set but this is the standard and the most powerful. Obstruct will punish anything that tries to touch it by lowering the attacker defense by a lot and then obstagoon can attack for massive damage with powerful Guts boosted attacks ready to blow a hole in te opponets team.

1579320109527.png

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Brutal Swing (Knock Off when it returns)

Conkeldurr is here as another Guts attacker but this time it is even more powerfull than the previous one.If conkeldurr is more powerful you must be asking why I have Obstagoon in the first place. While Obstagoon is weaker it has some advantages over conkeldurr like it's Speed and Special Defense, but Conkeldurr hits arder and can tank some hits that wouuld kill obstagoon, so both help each other. Conkeldurr has both Drain Punch to get HP again after the burn and attacks from other pokemon, Mach Punch gives it a needed priority, earthquake is a nice move to hit everything else and Brutal Swing can get some ghosts by surprise when they think they're switching in on a Drain Punch or q Mach Punch.

1579320145398.png

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Toxic
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Power Whip

Seismitoad is now something you must run in every team to prevent you of being sweeped by Dracovish, yes, Dracovish fell in usage, but this is just a testament of the effectviness os Seismitoad in it's job. While this is not the standart set, I like to use Seismitoad totally physical nnow that it has a physical water attack, Seismitoad normally sets rocks and uses scald, my Seismitoad checks other seismitoads by being two points faster than them and KOing with Power Whip, Seismitoad also checks Mandibuzz by coming in and using Toxic on Mandibuzz, after the toxic Liquidation helps take mandibuzz faster.

1579320190326.png

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball

Specs Dragapult is the strongest Special Attacker in my team (not that it has much competition) and can blow a hole or two in the opponents team after falling because of it's paper thin defenses. Draco Meteor is the strongest attack in the set capable of OHKOing most tings that don't resist or are imune to it, Shadow Ball is a nice stab to spam, Flamethrower kills Ferrothorn and Hydro Pump can blow up most things. Dragapult is something needed on this team as it takes care of physical walls that may enter in the way of my team such as Hippowdon.

1579320215826.png

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Excadrill is an Ol' reliable Stealth Rocker and Hazard removal and also a check to some fairies, but this part it doesn't do that well because many fairies have a fire attack. Excadrill normally suicides itself in the start of the battle after laying down the stealth rocks and weakening an enemy with any of it's stabs. Mold Breaker helps Excadrill lay the Rocks down with ease, Earthquake and Iron head are a nice combo of attacks and rapid spin removes the enemy's hazards, if Excadrill didn't die in the start of the battle it can be saved for when it's needed again.

1579320302528.png

Clefable @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Moonlight

Clefable or any fairy type is another thing you must have in your team so you will not be blown up by any dragon. This is almost the standard life orb set but with a little twist in the EVs to prioritise Speed instead of bulk, yes, clefable isn't fast, but in this generation it's also not so slow and this EV spread retains a little bit of bulk. Clefable has Moonlight for recovery and three attacks that gives a perfect coverage to hit everything aat least neutrally and the life orbboost without the recoil just helps it even more.

So that is the team, I am pretty succeful with this team despite all it's flaws and I hope you can help me improve it, and as always sorry for any word mispelled.​

Hey! I think that conk+goon is a really smart anti meta core that will have a great matchup against a lot of the slow, fat teams that are running around right now. I think there are a few things you can do to improve it though. The biggest weakness I see in your team is fast stuff that can handle Dragapult - specifically scarf Hydreigon, as well as any other Dragapult that can outspeed you (be it via DD, paralysis, sticky web or just winning the tie). I think I can help with this particular issue.

Set Changes
I'm not recommending any roster swaps because I think you've got a solid setup here, but there are a few changes to some of your sets that would improve things.

On conk, the low number of ghosts in the meta that aren't weak to EQ (it's just pult who forces conk out anyway) makes dark coverage just for its own sake not very worth it. Instead, Facade will give you vastly superior damage against Fairies who are otherwise threatening. Here's an example:

:conkeldurr:
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Facade

The EVs let you outspeed and OHKO standard Sylveon with Facade. This can be incredibly clutch since a lot of players will send Sylveon after Conk gets a KO.

On Clef, I'm not sure that its wallbreaking abilities are providing a whole lot. There's basically nothing that can handle obstagoon and conk and pult with the sets you have, so LO clefable feels redundant. I think a utility set would provide a lot more value.

:clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

Wish will help keep Obstagoon (and to a lesser extent conkeldurr) healthy despite the burn chip, while Thunder Wave will give you crucial speed control against scarfers.

Lastly, a quick nit: I won't say too much about your Seismitoad set since it's a tech pick, but I think you can be running fewer Atk EVs and still OHKO opposing toads with Whip. Worth considering extra defensive investment there.

Cool team!

Hey! I think that conk+goon is a really smart anti meta core that will have a great matchup against a lot of the slow, fat teams that are running around right now. I think there are a few things you can do to improve it though. The biggest weakness I see in your team is fast stuff that can handle Dragapult - specifically scarf Hydreigon, as well as any other Dragapult that can outspeed you (be it via DD, paralysis, sticky web or just winning the tie). I think I can help with this particular issue.

Set Changes
I'm not recommending any roster swaps because I think you've got a solid setup here, but there are a few changes to some of your sets that would improve things.

On conk, the low number of ghosts in the meta that aren't weak to EQ (it's just pult who forces conk out anyway) makes dark coverage just for its own sake not very worth it. Instead, Facade will give you vastly superior damage against Fairies who are otherwise threatening. Here's an example:

:conkeldurr:
Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
EVs: 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Facade

The EVs let you outspeed and OHKO standard Sylveon with Facade. This can be incredibly clutch since a lot of players will send Sylveon after Conk gets a KO.

On Clef, I'm not sure that its wallbreaking abilities are providing a whole lot. There's basically nothing that can handle obstagoon and conk and pult with the sets you have, so LO clefable feels redundant. I think a utility set would provide a lot more value.

:clefable:
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Thunder Wave

Wish will help keep Obstagoon (and to a lesser extent conkeldurr) healthy despite the burn chip, while Thunder Wave will give you crucial speed control against scarfers.

Lastly, a quick nit: I won't say too much about your Seismitoad set since it's a tech pick, but I think you can be running fewer Atk EVs and still OHKO opposing toads with Whip. Worth considering extra defensive investment there.

Cool team!
Thanks for the hints, but I'm afraid I might not change clefable since I really need the life orb one on my team, but I will make the changes to Conk,

Hey SilkScarfGroudon , Personally I really like Obstagoon and this team looks pretty decent to me. I think a few tweaks can really make this team function alot smoother and also will make it easy for you to play with it.

Suggested Changes -
First of all , your team is quite weak to fairies like Clefable and Sylveon , Excadrill being only Pokemon to deal with them and also Excadrill being your Rock setter as well as spinner puts alot of pressure on it. So , to remove some pressure from Excadrill I think Stealth Rock > Toxic on Seismitoad.

Secondly I completely agree with Jediment 's suggestions and would like to add a few more points about bulky Clef , as he already mentioned bulky Clef helps you alot vs dragons but it also helps you vs other fairy types as Excadrill alone isn't enough to switch into them , as they carry fire moves and can easily predict you going to exca and also Wish Clef can provide support to your guys sweepers.

Atlast , you can try Bulk Up > Obstruct on Obstagoon, activating the orb isn't hard and bulk up can be really useful in some situations.

Cheers!

Hey SilkScarfGroudon , Personally I really like Obstagoon and this team looks pretty decent to me. I think a few tweaks can really make this team function alot smoother and also will make it easy for you to play with it.

Suggested Changes -
First of all , your team is quite weak to fairies like Clefable and Sylveon , Excadrill being only Pokemon to deal with them and also Excadrill being your Rock setter as well as spinner puts alot of pressure on it. So , to remove some pressure from Excadrill I think Stealth Rock > Toxic on Seismitoad.

Secondly I completely agree with Jediment 's suggestions and would like to add a few more points about bulky Clef , as he already mentioned bulky Clef helps you alot vs dragons but it also helps you vs other fairy types as Excadrill alone isn't enough to switch into them , as they carry fire moves and can easily predict you going to exca and also Wish Clef can provide support to your guys sweepers.

Atlast , you can try Bulk Up > Obstruct on Obstagoon, activating the orb isn't hard and bulk up can be really useful in some situations.

Cheers!
Hey, thanks for the hints!
I've heard about bulk up on guts Obstagoon but the defense drop on things like a corviknight or in a Mach Punchless Conkeldurr can be extremely useful. I will try to add more bulk on Clef but I will stick with the set because the coverage is needed. I will substitute the toxic on Seismitoad and take off the stealth rock of Drill, but what move I put on it instead of the rocks?

Hey, thanks for the hints!
I've heard about bulk up on guts Obstagoon but the defense drop on things like a corviknight or in a Mach Punchless Conkeldurr can be extremely useful. I will try to add more bulk on Clef but I will stick with the set because the coverage is needed. I will substitute the toxic on Seismitoad and take off the stealth rock of Drill, but what move I put on it instead of the rocks?
Swords dance

I did some testing and i would switch Clefable to this:

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Mystical Fire
- Calm Mind

And Excadrill to this:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 136 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Roost

Both are solid defensive pivots that can absorb hits easier and helped me with this team alot.

I did some testing and i would switch Clefable to this:

Sylveon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Mystical Fire
- Calm Mind

And Excadrill to this:

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 136 SpD / 88 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Roost

Both are solid defensive pivots that can absorb hits easier and helped me with this team alot.
Just wanted to say I tried the team out with these changes (and Rocks>Toxic on Toad) and I haven't lost a game yet with it. :blobthumbsup:

I'm just curious. What would be the go to way to defeat Toxapex with this team. Also which pokemon would you send out first and how do you use it . Also send a replay of this team battling. Thankyou

I'm just curious. What would be the go to way to defeat Toxapex with this team. Also which pokemon would you send out first and how do you use it . Also send a replay of this team battling. Thankyou
Well, this team is hard to use to me because you really need to make the perfect switches, and I'm not a top player hahahaha
With Toxapex, maybe it can stall you, but you do like 51% minimum with Seismitoad EQ
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1067487707
I sensend this replay, but I'm sure that the team can be used better than I do, so all advices are welcome :D
Edit: I've been thinking to change Hydro Pump with Tbolt, for better match up with Mandi, Toge, etc. What do you think?

Last edited:
Well, this team is hard to use to me because you really need to make the perfect switches, and I'm not a top player hahahaha
With Toxapex, maybe it can stall you, but you do like 51% minimum with Seismitoad EQ
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1067487707
I sensend this replay, but I'm sure that the team can be used better than I do, so all advices are welcome :D
Edit: I've been thinking to change Hydro Pump with Tbolt, for better match up with Mandi, Toge, etc. What do you think?
On my version of the team I used Thunderbolt over Hydro Pump. :blobthumbsup:

Nope, it doesn't struggles a little, Zeraora is a HUGE problem
Yeah, I can see it, but this team is very outdated now. It was made with the Metagame without Pokémon Home, a month ago it was very decent, but now it is probably very bad, so it will struggle with the return of things like Terrakion, Zeraora and Regular Darmanitan, but with some ajusts it can work again

Yeah, I can see it, but this team is very outdated now. It was made with the Metagame without Pokémon Home, a month ago it was very decent, but now it is probably very bad, so it will struggle with the return of things like Terrakion, Zeraora and Regular Darmanitan, but with some ajusts it can work again
Yes, we can make some changes to fight things that came with Home, how do you see?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)