Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX Discussion Thread | Out Now Everywhere

My view is that Super is more balanced, which makes it difficult to cheese the way you can cheese the other games just by getting to a high level, which makes it seem more difficult in comparison.

The other thing is that a lot of people who I would see complain about Super's difficulty were trying to play it like Sky: little/no item use (so wands and emeras went a bit neglected), no alliances, not using ranged moves to take out enemies. You do that and you're not likely to have a good time with it. Once you accept those things as a normal part of gameplay it becomes a lot more manageable and fun.

Hey everyone, I'm a little late to party but does anyone think choosing a partner Gender affects the story at all? Or just an aesthetic?

I know it's March 5th but I got my hands on a copy of the game because, well, some places sell them a day earlier. I only decided to get it last night even though I've never played the game before.

Any tips and hints would be much appreciated.

I don't know if you did play the original incarnation or other PMD games, but in case you didn't, my best suggestion is to not underestimate type matchups & skill sets.
The games (including the original of this remake) start out super easy but take massive difficulty spikes at arbitrary points.
Also make sure to eat (in game). Belly system is weird but important for actually finishing the longer dungeons.

I don't know if you did play the original incarnation or other PMD games, but in case you didn't, my best suggestion is to not underestimate type matchups & skill sets.
The games (including the original of this remake) start out super easy but take massive difficulty spikes at arbitrary points.
Also make sure to eat (in game). Belly system is weird but important for actually finishing the longer dungeons.
Nope, I've never played any form of PMD games. It's gonna be my first run through, but I have a friend who's also gonna play so hopefully he can bail me out if I ever need him to, which I probably will.

Nope, I've never played any form of PMD games. It's gonna be my first run through, but I have a friend who's also gonna play so hopefully he can bail me out if I ever need him to, which I probably will.
Then I'll reiterate on not underestimating the difficulty.
Mystery Dungeon games actually are hard despite the more child-friendly look & storyline.
Albeith part of it is artificial difficulty due to level spikes, I can't understate how important type matchups and pre-dungeon preparation can be expecially in the final parts of the games :)

Vinc2612

The V stands for VGC
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Also make sure to eat (in game).
Thanks for the precision :psyglad:

I know it's March 5th but I got my hands on a copy of the game because, well, some places sell them a day earlier. I only decided to get it last night even though I've never played the game before.

Assuming the game is based on Super Mystery Dungeon, item management is the key of a smooth dungeon run. First time I've played Super, I got smashed, humiliated, and ridiculed by pretty much any wild Pokémon passed the fifth dungeon, because I was used to the main serie and felt like using any wand would be cheap.

It's not, they can murder you either way.

Oh also if you haven't play any Mystery Dungeon yet: don't rob the dungeon's shops (or do if you have nothing of value in your bag and want some adrenaline).

In later dungeons, you will notice there are rooms with a ton of items. These will spawn lots of enemies when you enter them, so approach with caution (or level-grind with earthquake). Edit: forgot about shops. Shops will generally have all the items right next to each other, while monster houses will have them scattered.

Status effects will go away if (depending on the effect itself) 1) the enemy that applied it is defeated, 2) after a number of turns, or (always) going to the next floor. If you can only prepare for one status, prepare for poison. It lasts until the next floor, and shuts off your basic HP regen.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Made it to Mt. Blaze. I have a lot of little impressions about the game so far, but one thing remains clear.

Skitty is still as stupid as ever.

Love this Pokémon. Sure, you can’t Attract cheese your way through everything like in the original, and Ghosts are actually immune to your Double Slap.

But you still have access to Double Slap and Sing early on, and Feint Attack comes by early in case Ghosts become important to counter. You can further buff Double Slap with Accuracy Drinks and PP Ups, and let me tell you, the move is still ridiculous lol

Jerry the great

Banned deucer.
Alright! This remake definitely had it's flaws and benefits added. I'll be happy to talk about them, hidden in spoilers of course. I must admit though, there are late game and post game spoilers, so don't think they are just light spoilers. They're actual spoilers.
Yeah I really felt like talking about these. Now let's begin!
First off, it annoyed me how in the originals, after the Articuno cutscene, Absol was just... Nothing. But in this remake, it's in for an extra cutscene, and it actually gets acknowledged in the town square where it actually has a line of dialogue, the partner responds to it, and Gengar also acknowledged it. Compare that to the last game where he was just... There in the square and nobody noticed him.
I appreciate the scarfs too. They actually make me feel special compared to other Pokémon. And trust me, in a game where a treecko and meowth can take on Articuno, or Cyndaquil and Cubone can take on Rayquaza, you'll want to look a little different from everyone else.
The post game bosses are actually a challenge now! They don't die in just one to three hits anymore! They also do some considerable damage back of course.
Also, not to mention the new unique ways they made certain bosses challenging. For instance, Groudon and Rayquaza have stage elements that make them harder (earth moving and magma and wind respectively), and fights like the Rayquaza rematch and Mewtwo have mega forms. It makes the fights feel all the more unique and interesting. There could be more, but hey I hadn't explored all the post game yet. After all, if I completed it all so soon, then that'd kill the joy.
Now for the... Well... Stuff to complain about.
I liked friend areas more than camps. The camps make it to where you can end up with crowded parties (which to me feels like a mess), you only get complex menus instead of actually exploring the areas and having basic, easy to navigate through menus, and friend areas just fit a Pokemon like Wigglytuff better than the camps.
Also, some of the "remixes" such as the boss theme hardly feel like remixes! They sound nearly 100% identical to their originals, which is only even more insulting considering how those were on inferior consoles! Don't say Game Freak can't do it either, as that didn't stop them from making actual remixes from the originals back in the let's go games!

Now I certainly love this remake. It's just that more often than not, when good things come, so do bad ones.

By the way, I noticed a mistake in the description of the Aurora Veil TM. It says it's "a damage-dealing physical move", which it obviously isn't.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
Y'know how for Friend Areas they re-used the old GBA overworld sprites (as well as I assume Explorers sprites for cross-gen evos)?

What does Sylveon look like? Anybody got a picture of it?

This definitely feels like a game that I'll wait to buy a used copy for....on sale. It just doesn't feel like a $60 game. More like a $30$-40 one. I know, I know, "first party game on a home console", but the expansive content and production value just isn't there. Not to mention me disliking quite a few gameplay changes from the previous games.

So I've defeated the game.

It looks nice, it has many of the nice UX improvements from later games... but there's not much more than that. It's way too faithful to the original versions in terms of story, with some really minor patches (like Absol or the partner not becoming non-factors after Articuno and Rayquaza, respectively) but everything else is pretty much the same. It's like FRLG in that regard... and I didn't like that.

But hey, the gameplay's nice and that's what matters to me... though I feel like wanting to go back to my Super Mystery Dungeon cartridge and get all the Connections I didn't do before.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Ok I've done most of the post-game. Only missing the Buried Relic, Wish Cave, and Purity Forest for legendaries / mythicals. Leaving the last 2 for the end for obvious reasons, but I HAVE to highlight this experience I just had with a very much revamped dungeon.

This is Meteor Cave, where Deoxys is.

Spoilers below to describe the changes:

The remake decided to revamp how this dungeon works and oh boy it's a doozy.

The good:

- It remains 20 floors. Not so shabby there.
- You can bring teammates now, rather than being limited to yourself.
- Poke isn't the only thing that spawns in the dungeon. You get to see a lot of regular items like Max Elixir and Apples, and some special ones like Sitrus Berry and Reviver Seeds (more on this below).
- You aren't limited to 3 items anymore, which is great. Bring as many items as you want (specifically, Max Ethers/Elixirs). YOU'RE GONNA NEED IT.

The bad:

- The gimmick of dungeon has slightly changed from "track down the sole Deoxys Clone to unlock the stairs". It is instead "Defeat the real Deoxys on each floor." Deoxys appears near the stairs, never leaves the room with the stairs, and you must defeat it in order to progress forward. It has low HP and will warp to the next floor. You simply repeat this 19 times.
- What's so different about the above? Of course, this lovely objective has a few roadblocks. Accompanying the real Deoxys are clones, of which there are many in each floor. While it's not necessary to defeat them this time around, they behave like regular enemies, with their minmaxed stats coming into play as you begrudgingly kill them: giving Deoxys-A a free turn will either mean death or a significant chunk of HP lost, but at least it dies quickly. Deoxys-D quite simply does not die and will stall out your PP with Iron Defense and Amnesia. Deoxys-S will dodge as many moves as it possibly can with its high Speed stat (remember Speed influences accuracy / evasion modifiers in this game).

The UGLY:

- A new addition to the dungeon is the great addition of:

Deoxys Monster Houses.

You read that right. This means that if you stumble upon these (whether on purpose or otherwise), be prepared to be devastated by the undying Deo-D backed up Agility from Deo-S (which still boosts everyone's Travel Speed!) compounded by Pressure draining your PP for EACH opponent you hit: You might only be able to use Blizzard twice before you need to use a Max Ether!

At least Monster Houses have good rewards inside them, so that helps.

- THE BOSS FIGHT:

If you make it through those 19 floors, you get to this mess.

Unlike its original incarnation, Deoxys does not fight alone. It summons 3 clones (one of Deoxys-A, Deoxys-D, and Deoxys-S) with custom movesets for the boss fight. Deoxys is backed up by Deo-A blasting you and your teammates with murderous Psycho Boosts, Deo-D using Light Screen to shield everyone from your AoE or special moves, and Deo-S activating Agility to make sure you get to experience all of this again before moving. Fortunately, the clones do have the same stats as the ones in the dungeon.

HOWEVER, add-on to the fact that Deoxys can resummon these clones immediately if you kill off all of them, has access to Teleport, Cosmic Power, and the broken Recover to make sure you don't kill it, and Pressure sapping all of your moves PP at crucial moments in the battle... this boss made Mega Rayquaza look like a joke to me.

It took me locking out the clones from supporting Deoxys and eating an Empowerment Seed to outdamage Recover with fully powered up Double Slap.

Do all of yourselves a favor and come with a plan to lock Recover out and plenty of Max Ethers / Elixirs for the Pressure gauntlet. Had to rethink my strategy very deep in the battle after I was losing Reviver Seeds left and right.

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
I haven't seen anything like this in any other dungeon. At most, the boss fights are simply buffed (in the form of the Primals / Megas, a signature dungeon effect or signature weather, etc.) but the dungeon largely remains identical. I do know the Buried Relic does away with the item-based Music Box (it's not an item anymore, but a "toggle"-esque effect when you beat all Regis) and things like Purity Forest allow teammates to join you from within, but nothing like this!

Definitely a (not so) pleasant surprise and playing to Deoxys' gimmick quite well though.

Reactions: R_N
I haven't seen anything like this in any other dungeon. At most, the boss fights are simply buffed (in the form of the Primals / Megas, a signature dungeon effect or signature weather, etc.) but the dungeon largely remains identical. I do know the Buried Relic does away with the item-based Music Box (it's not an item anymore, but a "toggle"-esque effect when you beat all Regis) and things like Purity Forest allow teammates to join you from within, but nothing like this!

Definitely a (not so) pleasant surprise and playing to Deoxys' gimmick quite well though.
That's really weird, I wonder why they went out of their way for this one specifically, sounds like the original dungeon already had a decent gimmick going on.

DragonWhale

It's not a misplay, it's RNG manipulation
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I finally got all the legendaries and cleared the game. All that's left to do is to achieve Grandmaster Rank and complete the dex. My main character also happened to be level 69 and my playtime was 69 hours. :psysly:

1584527856463.png

This game was a blast to the past. It was so fun to play these games again and the QoL improvements were very good.

Things I really liked:
  • Linking moves is now free and also doesn't unlink when a move loses all of its PP. This alone is huge since it was one of the most annoying thing to maintain in the originals when NPCs spam moves without holding back and traps draining all your PP. They made the enemies tougher and balanced the dungeons with linking in mind, which is still a fine change.
  • Exp all for Pokemon in camps. This is in SPMD but it was nice to have it here too.
  • Move tutors moves being possible to teach to Pokemon for a price. It's really nice to have access to the Pokemon's move tutor exclusive moves as well, even if it is a bit pricey.
  • Recruiting. It was nice to gather a full party of 8 and go in.
Things I didn't really like:
  • Probably the biggest thing I disliked was the bosses' offensive power. It just OHKOes everything so the best you can hope for is to lock it into a paralysis/flinch/sleep loop every turn or that you manage to survive one hit and land a Strike Back to lower their offensive power. Sometimes it just took multiple revive orbs while sacking Pokemon to even have a chance against some of these bosses.
  • No natural regen in sand/hail. This is the next biggest thing that I disliked. Natural regen is cut off, so if bad weather continues for several floors, chances are your recruits aren't making it through. It was just unnecessary.
  • The Rare Quality system was a bit of a mix for me. I'm okay with the grindy IQ system being gone for something a lot simpler, but this was just an RNG rollfest that requires sort of precious rainbow and DX gummies to reroll.
  • Speaking of using resources to get stuff the new Makuhita Dojo is a bit worse than the original as well. Not that I used it much but requiring tickets that you can only get via mission rewards or random mail to use the facility seemed like a bit of an overkill.
Hot tip if you want a easy way to beat Purity Forest, just use Narrow Focus Politoed. The dungeon becomes extremely easy especially if you manage to get your hands on X-Ray Specs.

1584530294430.png

I finally got all the legendaries and cleared the game. All that's left to do is to achieve Grandmaster Rank and complete the dex. My main character also happened to be level 69 and my playtime was 69 hours. :psysly:

View attachment 229015

This game was a blast to the past. It was so fun to play these games again and the QoL improvements were very good.

Things I really liked:
  • Linking moves is now free and also doesn't unlink when a move loses all of its PP. This alone is huge since it was one of the most annoying thing to maintain in the originals when NPCs spam moves without holding back and traps draining all your PP. They made the enemies tougher and balanced the dungeons with linking in mind, which is still a fine change.
  • Exp all for Pokemon in camps. This is in SPMD but it was nice to have it here too.
  • Move tutors moves being possible to teach to Pokemon for a price. It's really nice to have access to the Pokemon's move tutor exclusive moves as well, even if it is a bit pricey.
  • Recruiting. It was nice to gather a full party of 8 and go in.
Things I didn't really like:
  • Probably the biggest thing I disliked was the bosses' offensive power. It just OHKOes everything so the best you can hope for is to lock it into a paralysis/flinch/sleep loop every turn or that you manage to survive one hit and land a Strike Back to lower their offensive power. Sometimes it just took multiple revive orbs while sacking Pokemon to even have a chance against some of these bosses.
  • No natural regen in sand/hail. This is the next biggest thing that I disliked. Natural regen is cut off, so if bad weather continues for several floors, chances are your recruits aren't making it through. It was just unnecessary.
  • The Rare Quality system was a bit of a mix for me. I'm okay with the grindy IQ system being gone for something a lot simpler, but this was just an RNG rollfest that requires sort of precious rainbow and DX gummies to reroll.
  • Speaking of using resources to get stuff the new Makuhita Dojo is a bit worse than the original as well. Not that I used it much but requiring tickets that you can only get via mission rewards or random mail to use the facility seemed like a bit of an overkill.
Hot tip if you want a easy way to beat Purity Forest, just use Narrow Focus Politoed. The dungeon becomes extremely easy especially if you manage to get your hands on X-Ray Specs.

View attachment 229019
Why Politoed specifically? What sets it apart from other Pokemon that can have Narrow Focus?

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
Probably the no miss Hypnosis + Double Slap as it starts with those. Bubblebeam as a ranged move as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)