SPOILERS! General Pokémon Anime Discussion

Brock definitely stayed on far too long but I think a lot of that was just because of the sheer backlash from Orange Islands. It probably took a LOT of back & forth in the planning room on coming to the decision to drop Misty and I bet part of that was "okay but we have to at least keep brock".
If you read Takeshi Shudo's blogs, he said he was deciding to choose between Misty or Team Rocket to drop after Johto, and he chose Misty because he favored TR but also because he felt Misty was the least justified character on the show at the time. Also as said they had just brought Brock back when Johto started, so him leaving again so soon would have felt odd. Misty just filled the token female role, which as seen now with 8+ female leads later, they could replace Misty with any other kind of female and it would make no difference.

Overall when you watch through Johto especially now it's fairly obvious the writers seemed really bored with Misty's character, and probably would have replaced her after Orange Islands if there was some female to use when Gold/Silver came out. For the whole first two seasons of Johto she only has like 4 episodes that she stars in (the crybaby Marill ep, the battle over Totodile, the Seaking catching Contest, and one more I think), and that was over 100+ episodes. Then in late Johto they tried to do a bit more with her with the Whirl Cup and capturing Corsola...but by then it just felt too late.

Also keep in mind the writers obviously knew at least a year ahead of time R/S was having a new playable female lead from the start and a new sidequest with Contests, so the writers probably decided somewhere around late 2001 or early 2002 that the would be dropping her. Episodes are scripted/planned out months before they air on TV, so obviously Misty leaving wasn't a last minute decision, it had to have been decided almost a year before Johto even ended.

Then just the fact that they started promoting the hell out of every female lead who came after her, beginning with May and then continuing with Dawn, etc afterward, really just makes me think they just have more fun writing all the other female leads. They give them more storylines, battles, pokemon, rivals, put them in different outfits, etc. Even the SM girls which had to share limited screentime with each other still got treated similarly with their own subplots and roles.

I suppose the problem was just poor planning in the OS especially the Johto portion. The writers had no idea how long the show would go on back then, and Misty/Brock were generally never given their own storylines/subplots separate from Ash back then, and only really got focus in the odd filler episode here or there. And then whatever they learned was forgotten about as soon as the next episode started. And now here we are nearly 18 years after the OS ended, and it holds true to this day.

If you read Takeshi Shudo's blogs, he said he was deciding to choose between Misty or Team Rocket to drop after Johto, and he chose Misty because he favored TR but also because he felt Misty was the least justified character on the show at the time. Also as said they had just brought Brock back when Johto started, so him leaving again so soon would have felt odd. Misty just filled the token female role, which as seen now with 8+ female leads later, they could replace Misty with any other kind of female and it would make no difference.
I dont think I even knew he had a blog! That's interesting to know about what they felt about Brock & Misty
I suppose the problem was just poor planning in the OS especially the Johto portion. The writers had no idea how long the show would go on back then, and Misty/Brock were generally never given their own storylines/subplots separate from Ash back then, and only really got focus in the odd filler episode here or there. And then whatever they learned was forgotten about as soon as the next episode started. And now here we are nearly 18 years after the OS ended, and it holds true to this day.
Johto definitely felt like they were just spinning their wheels. You mentioned not knowing what to do with Misty (hard agree), it's just as evident Brock was in the same bucket, and after that initial rush up tooo let's say Bugsy it just felt so listless. A ton of filler and all of it fairly boring; And can't say I found the "major" episodes that memorable either.
The Kanto season at least had a certain flavor to it even if it's clear they didn't have too much of a plan and was the most episodic and Orange Islands is a cute little miniarc. & I'm not going to give AG any rewards for their filler (& tbh i felt a similar sort of feeling to Johto through Battle Frontier but it brought it back towards the end) but on the whole they were generally more enjoyable episode for episode.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ok so new Twilight Wings episode BUT it's Japanese only

According to Serebii, the english dub will come the 21st. Covid causing production issues y/n
Waiting for English version, but is odd there's such a delay. Considering how short the series is I thought they would all have been done ahead of time and are just expanding out the release, but I guess not or at least dubbing is done the month of the release?

Man Rose was super skeevy in this episode, some of that attitude probably should've been in the game

I think that was my favorite over all. Nessa's cool, all the water sequences were cool, it was fun seeing her interact with Sonya (even if sonya spelling out the milotic metaphor was a little silly)

I guess next episode is about Oleana? That should be fun, there's some backstory to her develpoing the dynamax bands that's only been in like facebook posts that'd be nice to have on screen. Maybe see some of her past with Trubbish too, before she changed her image

I recognized that Sonia was voiced by someone I knew, and my hunch was correct! She’s voiced by Allegra Clark! She’s one of my favorite VAs. Anyway, Allegra Clark is a huge Pokemon fan. Her favorite Pokémon is Oshawott, who she loves because she thinks that’s it’s super cute how Oshawott throws it’s schalop in rage only to forget the next few moments later. Her dream team would consist of: Oshawott, Ducklett, Primarina and Meloetta. As you can tell, she has great taste. She does Cynthia in Pokémon Masters.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Title: Just want to quickly note how it's kind of odd the last episodes were one word titles while this one is sounds like a title.
0:19:
"Drednaw is 4x weak to Grass what were you expecting?"
Nessa: "Milo KOed Drednaw with Hyper Voice!"
"Oh..."
0:53: Is Rose implying Nessa quit being either a model or Gym Leader? Why does he care?
0:58: WHOA THERE, Rose! Personal space! And this is a REALLY creepy camera angle.
1:02: DON'T ZOOM IN! Is he going in for a kiss or something? Eww!
1:05: How did Nessa fit that entire cake slice in her mouth without having it covering her face? Oh, and hi Sonia.
1:07: Hi Marnie (and Morpeko)! And good job there Alcremie, I can see why the owner lets you sit on the counter.
1:18: Bye Marnie (and Morpeko)!
1:19: Oh, apparently their mouths are like garbage disposals, instantly liquifies the food before swallowing.
1:40: Director: "I really like the way your face tells the reader you absolutely despise them!"
2:25: Geez, they didn't wait to payoff that foreshadowing, did they? They held the suspense for all of 10 seconds.
2:32: Dear Kyogre she actually smiled for one of the pictures!
2:37: Qwilfish: "Actually I'm kind of suffocating, please put be back in the water".
2:41: Why is Krabby hanging out on top of a male Jelliscent?
2:44: Milotic: "Follow me my fish army, it's time to evade the surface world!"
2:52: Have you been using Wild Pokemon this entire time? Why? You're kind of putting Nessa at risk if a Water-type Pokemon didn't feel like cooperating and attacked instead. Also bringing your own Water-types would guarantee you'd have Pokemon to use in the shoot, you could actually even plan on what pictures you wanted to take!
3:04: Nessa just dived in and she's surrounded by Pokemon. That ship's radar must either be busted or sucks (or did they just look around and were surprised there was no Pokemon splashing around on the surface?).
3:26: Hi Magnolia!
3:30: Ah, there's that (foot) fanservice shot! Quentin Tarantino would be proud.
3:39: Oh no, the Milotic brainwashed Nessa. It's surface world invasion has indeed begun!
3:44: Bye Magnolia!
3:55: Thanks for explaining the message of the episode, Sonia.
4:13: Hey, Nessa jumped off Milotic but now she's suddenly back on it. Great continuity!
4:28: Would you please give viewers some benefit of the doubt that we can remember something you foreshadowed 2 minutes ago?
5:01: Oleana: "Did you really need to spill my documents all over the table and floor to say that?"
5:20: Oh yeah, John's drawing, there's probably some grand conclusion we should really start building up to.
5:22: I repeat, Quentin Tarantino would be proud.
5:29: Omnipresent Cabbie Narrator you're late this episode; you could have probably showed up earlier to drop Nessa off at her photoshoot.
5:59: Wait, that Milotic is Shiny in the concept art (and Nessa is wearing a blue top & skirt and barefoot). Was it supposed to be a Shiny Milotic but the animators didn't realize? Also Nessa is big here, Milotic are supposed to be 20 feet long!
6:03: And next episode is Allist... Oleana, of course, that was what I was going to say!

Actual Thoughts: Man, this was kind of a strange episode.
First let's start with that scene with Rose. What was that all about? It felt like they were trying to tell us something but I had no idea what (aside being very awkward and creepy).
Nice to actually see Sonia and Nessa hanging out, something we didn't see in the games even though Sonia and Nessa's League Card says they're close friends. Another nice touch is that Nessa's card mentions she considers Milo her rival and looks who defeats her at the beginning of the episode. Also very cheeky with that Marnie cameo, less so with the Magnolia but nice to see her all the same.
Also, whoever directed this episode, less is more. We didn't really need to see the shots of Milotic swimming around, while it was obvious what was going to happen still would have been more emotionally impactful has we not had the Miltotic shots and it was a sudden surprise when it jumped out of the water with Nessa on its back. OR kept it secret what Pokemon she was talking to in her flashback, and then when you had her look into Milotic's eyes that's when you reveal she was talking with a Feebas.
But let's get into the real issue with this episode: the writers had no idea what to do with Nessa. They wanted to do something with Nessa and her modelling career but feels like that couldn't figure out what so went with Nessa being conflicted about being a Gym Leader or model. But to do this they needed a catalyst so had Rose suggest her stop being a model which just feels odd. Does Rose do this with all the Gym Leaders? Did he tell Milo to stop being a farmer? Opal to stop putting on theater shows? Raihan to stop Instagramming (well, okay, maybe that one has some validation)? Also Nessa telling Oleana to tell Rose she's going to reach the top while staying both a model and Pokemon trainer felt forced, like honestly I would have just ended the episode at 4:42.
Also kind of disappointed not that many fanservice shots aside from some tame ones. Bea got more fanservice shots and Nessa is supposed to be the target Ms. Fanservice.
Well next episode is surprisingly for Oleana which should be interesting. Sad that "poor family" backstory turned out to be a hoax but maybe this will shine some light on who she was before changing her appearance and her friendship with Trubbish/Garbodor.

Title: Just want to quickly note how it's kind of odd the last episodes were one word titles while this one is sounds like a title.
0:19:
"Drednaw is 4x weak to Grass what were you expecting?"
Nessa: "Milo KOed Drednaw with Hyper Voice!"
"Oh..."
0:53: Is Rose implying Nessa quit being either a model or Gym Leader? Why does he care?
0:58: WHOA THERE, Rose! Personal space! And this is a REALLY creepy camera angle.
1:02: DON'T ZOOM IN! Is he going in for a kiss or something? Eww!
1:05: How did Nessa fit that entire cake slice in her mouth without having it covering her face? Oh, and hi Sonia.
1:07: Hi Marnie (and Morpeko)! And good job there Alcremie, I can see why the owner lets you sit on the counter.
1:18: Bye Marnie (and Morpeko)!
1:19: Oh, apparently their mouths are like garbage disposals, instantly liquifies the food before swallowing.
1:40: Director: "I really like the way your face tells the reader you absolutely despise them!"
2:25: Geez, they didn't wait to payoff that foreshadowing, did they? They held the suspense for all of 10 seconds.
2:32: Dear Kyogre she actually smiled for one of the pictures!
2:37: Qwilfish: "Actually I'm kind of suffocating, please put be back in the water".
2:41: Why is Krabby hanging out on top of a male Jelliscent?
2:44: Milotic: "Follow me my fish army, it's time to evade the surface world!"
2:52: Have you been using Wild Pokemon this entire time? Why? You're kind of putting Nessa at risk if a Water-type Pokemon didn't feel like cooperating and attacked instead. Also bringing your own Water-types would guarantee you'd have Pokemon to use in the shoot, you could actually even plan on what pictures you wanted to take!
3:04: Nessa just dived in and she's surrounded by Pokemon. That ship's radar must either be busted or sucks (or did they just look around and were surprised there was no Pokemon splashing around on the surface?).
3:26: Hi Magnolia!
3:30: Ah, there's that (foot) fanservice shot! Quentin Tarantino would be proud.
3:39: Oh no, the Milotic brainwashed Nessa. It's surface world invasion has indeed begun!
3:44: Bye Magnolia!
3:55: Thanks for explaining the message of the episode, Sonia.
4:13: Hey, Nessa jumped off Milotic but now she's suddenly back on it. Great continuity!
4:28: Would you please give viewers some benefit of the doubt that we can remember something you foreshadowed 2 minutes ago?
5:01: Oleana: "Did you really need to spill my documents all over the table and floor to say that?"
5:20: Oh yeah, John's drawing, there's probably some grand conclusion we should really start building up to.
5:22: I repeat, Quentin Tarantino would be proud.
5:29: Omnipresent Cabbie Narrator you're late this episode; you could have probably showed up earlier to drop Nessa off at her photoshoot.
5:59: Wait, that Milotic is Shiny in the concept art (and Nessa is wearing a blue top & skirt and barefoot). Was it supposed to be a Shiny Milotic but the animators didn't realize? Also Nessa is big here, Milotic are supposed to be 20 feet long!
6:03: And next episode is Allist... Oleana, of course, that was what I was going to say!

Actual Thoughts: Man, this was kind of a strange episode.
First let's start with that scene with Rose. What was that all about? It felt like they were trying to tell us something but I had no idea what (aside being very awkward and creepy).
Nice to actually see Sonia and Nessa hanging out, something we didn't see in the games even though Sonia and Nessa's League Card says they're close friends. Another nice touch is that Nessa's card mentions she considers Milo her rival and looks who defeats her at the beginning of the episode. Also very cheeky with that Marnie cameo, less so with the Magnolia but nice to see her all the same.
Also, whoever directed this episode, less is more. We didn't really need to see the shots of Milotic swimming around, while it was obvious what was going to happen still would have been more emotionally impactful has we not had the Miltotic shots and it was a sudden surprise when it jumped out of the water with Nessa on its back. OR kept it secret what Pokemon she was talking to in her flashback, and then when you had her look into Milotic's eyes that's when you reveal she was talking with a Feebas.
But let's get into the real issue with this episode: the writers had no idea what to do with Nessa. They wanted to do something with Nessa and her modelling career but feels like that couldn't figure out what so went with Nessa being conflicted about being a Gym Leader or model. But to do this they needed a catalyst so had Rose suggest her stop being a model which just feels odd. Does Rose do this with all the Gym Leaders? Did he tell Milo to stop being a farmer? Opal to stop putting on theater shows? Raihan to stop Instagramming (well, okay, maybe that one has some validation)? Also Nessa telling Oleana to tell Rose she's going to reach the top while staying both a model and Pokemon trainer felt forced, like honestly I would have just ended the episode at 4:42.
Also kind of disappointed not that many fanservice shots aside from some tame ones. Bea got more fanservice shots and Nessa is supposed to be the target Ms. Fanservice.
Well next episode is surprisingly for Oleana which should be interesting. Sad that "poor family" backstory turned out to be a hoax but maybe this will shine some light on who she was before changing her appearance and her friendship with Trubbish/Garbodor.
You forgot to mention that wild Dewgong show up in the episode even though they didn't survive dexit. I guess they're coming in DLC?

Nothing wrong with Qwilfish, it just feels like a bit of an oddball Pokemon while the Seel family feels more commonplace?
ehhh
GSC: Both are available. Qwilfish does require a swarm.
RSE: Neither are available
FRLG: Both are available. Qwilfish is by necessity a post game pokemon but is actually pretty common!
DPPt: Both are post game
HGSS: Both are available.
BW1: Both post game
BW2: Seel is in the Unova Dex. Qwilfish relegated to post game
XY: Qwilfish is in the Kalos Dex. Dewgong is Friend Safari
ORAS: Both are post game
SM: Neither are in the game
USUM: Seel is in the game.
SWSH: Qwilfish is in the game.

Seel of course also has gen 1 & Let's Go on its side and Qwilfish is a quirkier pokemon but in aggregate it's not necessarily more common. They even kind of trade off towards the end.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Either Dewgong confirmed for dlc or they just going to edit it out in rerelease. Or hoped that no one noticed
It was just an oversight, someone on the animation team probably liked Dewgong so added it in without realizing it wasn't in Galar.

And they'll probably leave it as is cause it's not detrimental to the animation. How many more notable animation mistakes does the normal anime and movies have yet they kept them in? Like when in DP158 they drew Pikachu two times into a scene:

(Pikachu couldn't decide whether it wanted to be on Ash's shoulder or on the floor, so it chose both; Also either everyone is walking through wet concrete or the sidewalk is trying to eat them)

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I’d call it more of an animation gaff than anything but yea

#JusticeForDewgong
Called it!

... That said, this is so inconsequential. Why bother apologizing for something as minor as this? If anything, I've already seen Twitter spark up debates re: Dexit and that's one of the parts of the franchise we could do without.

I wouldn't be surprised if it means they're looking at the future episodes that are left and cross-checking the Galar Dex with them to see if they have to edit out stuff, but come on. That's something you can do quietly rather than attract attention to it.

I haven't really followed the show since the days of waking up early Saturday mornings to watch Advanced Battle, but Gnoggin just released a video that y'all might want to see, if you haven't already. It seems Takeshi Shudo, the man who led Ash through Kanto, Johto, and three movies, had plans to end the series, or at least to keep the series from becoming stale with repetition, that were stifled by higher-ups. He also struggled with substance abuse.

Wasn't that the lost third movie in which a T-Rex fossil would have gone on a rampage throughout KANTOOOOOOOO? I would've loved to see more earthanimals in the movies, even if the TV series wouldn't let that happen nowadays due to executive meddling and lack of care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)