Social The Smogon Photo Album

Rei

formerly Scholar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Kinda awk to post here, but here is two pics of me. One of me as a girl cuz I cannot come out irl as trans till I move out cuz of my parents. The other is me with a hoodie back in winter that goes for more of an androgynous look which I am more happy with.

IMG_20190320_112820215.jpg

IMG_20191016_113700183.jpg

hello, most peeps probably haven't heard of me as i've gone MIA from forums for about five years, but over the last few months, i've had the urge to come back to smogon / play mons again, and i figured i'd share some stuff.

i moved from hong kong to london for uni in 2015, and am now working there. back in october there was a pokemon centre popup so i went, here are some photos:

8BFCB280-5A06-4FC5-A3B1-2DE7B6819A9D.JPG

IMG_0580.PNG

they even had a pokestop set up for this event which i thought was cool.
IMG_8883 copy.jpg

got to play a SWSH demo before it came out.
IMG_4835 copy.jpg

EF8D2CCE-D33B-4056-A61A-31DB5F7E52BF.JPG

this is a photo i posted to my close friends on my ig story after splurging haha.

of course being in london gives me access to premier league matches, altho i'm not really a fan of any team anymore, i still enjoy watching as a casual. i have a few friends who have memberships to arsenal/spurs, hence me being able to go watch these games. here are some photos from the past 2 years:
spurs dortmund.jpg

spurs v dortmund at wembley in feb 2019, spurs 3-0 dortmund

spurs huddersfield.jpg

spurs v huddersfield april/may 2019, first match ever played at the tottenham stadium, spurs 4-0 huddersfield

IMG_1538.PNG

arsenal 3-0 stoke in april 2018. this game was hilarious because i remember going just because i had aubameyang captained on my fantasy football team, and he ended up scoring a brace.

2EFDA8D9-DEAB-484F-A80E-42F3CA609D7B.JPG

march 2019, north london derby at tottenham stadium, tottenham 1-1 arsenal thanks to a saved penalty from lloris.

F1E02BAE-03C7-4C70-8E1F-61C7EFE2CEC5.JPG

at wembley in november 2019, england 7-0 montenegro

my family still lives in hong kong, altho i unfortunately only get to see them once or twice a year now. last year there was some mini pokemon exhibition in HK, so my mom, knowing that i am a huge pokemon fan, went early in the morning to take these photos before people flooded the area (she is honestly great).

PHOTO-2019-11-22-05-27-17.jpg
PHOTO-2019-11-22-05-27-18 2.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-22-05-27-18.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-22-05-27-19.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-22-05-27-19 2.jpg

PHOTO-2019-11-22-05-27-20.jpg

fortunately the exhibition was still there when i went back to HK for christmas so ofc i had to go take some photos myself (altho it was a lot more crowded)
6B7EFD29-8D50-4C92-9B72-CD89E2C154B9.JPG

IMG_6394 copy.jpg

IMG_5318 copy.jpg

i had some vids as well which i unfortunately cannot post.

finally i'd like to share a really cool story.

when i first went to london for uni in 2015, one of the first friends i made was with this guy from HK who was studying the same thing as me, and with our common background, we naturally became friends. i invited him up to my student accommodation one day and had smogon forums open on one of my tabs. he points it out and says "yo you go on this site too?"

turns out he was a user called "sharkz" (https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/sharkz.54297/) who i've literally been pokebuddies with SINCE 2010!!! he couldn't believe it and was like "YOU'RE SHINYAZELF???" literally the last pm on his wall is from me in 2012, long before we met. it was honestly surreal. i ended up living with him in my 3rd year, and we created accounts on pokemon showdown and built meme teams to ladder with. even today, we still occasionally call on discord (he's back in Hong Kong), ladder together or watch smog tour finals as we did last week. what a small world.

oh and before i forget, i also met Aurora irl, who flew to london for a weekend last year after multiple failed attempts to meet up in the past. i feel slightly bad because the weather wasn't great so we basically spent a good half of our saturday sat in starbucks playing ubers. i think we went 30-0 though so hopefully you felt that was worthwhile.

lastly, shoutouts to some old friends, many of whom i haven't spoken to in ages and may have forgotten me lol. but it was nice going down memory lane and seeing names of people who i used to speak to or play with regularly. i hope y'all are doing well no matter where you are <3

i hope i didn't forget anyone, altho i'm sure i've left someone out...

Last edited:
hello, most peeps probably haven't heard of me as i've gone MIA from forums for about five years, but over the last few months, i've had the urge to come back to smogon / play mons again, and i figured i'd share some stuff.

[snip]

hey man! sandshrewz linked me this post earlier today. Whilst I largely gave up on 'mons after DPP, I played some of the lower tiers very casually for the past few years. If you fancy a memey ladder session, hit me up man! I'm glad to hear you're doing good for yourself. <3

Chou Toshio

Over9000
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

i moved from hong kong to london for uni in 2015, and am now working there. back in october there was a pokemon centre popup so i went, here are some photos:

View attachment 254057
View attachment 254058
they even had a pokestop set up for this event which i thought was cool.
View attachment 254060
got to play a SWSH demo before it came out.
View attachment 254061
View attachment 254059
this is a photo i posted to my close friends on my ig story after splurging haha.

of course being in london gives me access to premier league matches, altho i'm not really a fan of any team anymore, i still enjoy watching as a casual. i have a few friends who have memberships to arsenal/spurs, hence me being able to go watch these games. here are some photos from the past 2 years:
View attachment 254069
spurs v dortmund at wembley in feb 2019, spurs 3-0 dortmund

View attachment 254070
spurs v huddersfield april/may 2019, first match ever played at the tottenham stadium, spurs 4-0 huddersfield

View attachment 254071
arsenal 3-0 stoke in april 2018. this game was hilarious because i remember going just because i had aubameyang captained on my fantasy football team, and he ended up scoring a brace.

View attachment 254072
march 2019, north london derby at tottenham stadium, tottenham 1-1 arsenal thanks to a saved penalty from lloris.

View attachment 254073
at wembley in november 2019, england 7-0 montenegro

my family still lives in hong kong, altho i unfortunately only get to see them once or twice a year now. last year there was some mini pokemon exhibition in HK, so my mom, knowing that i am a huge pokemon fan, went early in the morning to take these photos before people flooded the area (she is honestly great).

View attachment 254050View attachment 254051
View attachment 254052
View attachment 254053
View attachment 254054
View attachment 254055

fortunately the exhibition was still there when i went back to HK for christmas so ofc i had to go take some photos myself (altho it was a lot more crowded)
View attachment 254056

View attachment 254062
View attachment 254063

i had some vids as well which i unfortunately cannot post.

finally i'd like to share a really cool story.

when i first went to london for uni in 2015, one of the first friends i made was with this guy from HK who was studying the same thing as me, and with our common background, we naturally became friends. i invited him up to my student accommodation one day and had smogon forums open on one of my tabs. he points it out and says "yo you go on this site too?"

turns out he was a user called "sharkz" (https://www.smogon.com/forums/members/sharkz.54297/) who i've literally been pokebuddies with SINCE 2010!!! he couldn't believe it and was like "YOU'RE SHINYAZELF???" literally the last pm on his wall is from me in 2012, long before we met. it was honestly surreal. i ended up living with him in my 3rd year, and we created accounts on pokemon showdown and built meme teams to ladder with. even today, we still occasionally call on discord (he's back in Hong Kong), ladder together or watch smog tour finals as we did last week. what a small world.

oh and before i forget, i also met Aurora irl, who flew to london for a weekend last year after multiple failed attempts to meet up in the past. i feel slightly bad because the weather wasn't great so we basically spent a good half of our saturday sat in starbucks playing ubers. i think we went 30-0 though so hopefully you felt that was worthwhile.

lastly, shoutouts to some old friends, many of whom i haven't spoken to in ages and may have forgotten me lol. but it was nice going down memory lane and seeing names of people who i used to speak to or play with regularly. i hope y'all are doing well no matter where you are <3

As others have said wow blast from the past! I don’t even know the last time I was mentioned for anything outside the 2020 Dem primary thread (Bernie:psycry::psycry::psycry::psycry::psycry: )

But I’ve long since moved on from competitive Pokémon— may not surprise Shiny that I moved on to competitive Planted Aquarium Design. I was never going to make progress in Smogon’s tournaments, but I’ve made it into the top world ranks for Aquascaping in recent years— was invited to China last year to compete, and Europe last year for several demonstration events as a speaker.

I mean going out into nature, collecting and raising plants/animals (like one Ash Ketchum), and taking on the highest level of world competition in an art form— pretty much exactly what you'd expect from the personality profile of a former Smogon artist. :swole: Never gave up on the dream to be a master~

Glad to hear that you’re doing well Shiny!:blobuwu:
(FYI-- I do still watch Pokeaim & Blunder and folks will probably run into me occasionally in RandBats)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)