Pokémon GO

Is it me or do the Latis have absolutely horrible catch rates? Reshiram was a breeze compared to this, I think I've only missed one or two Reshis - but I've done five raids and only made one successful capture this weekend.

Is it me or do the Latis have absolutely horrible catch rates? Reshiram was a breeze compared to this, I think I've only missed one or two Reshis - but I've done five raids and only made one successful capture this weekend.
Haven't done any Lati raids this time around, but historically I'm 9/13 on Latios and 5/10 on Latias.

GO Fest 2020 details announced.

Main points:
  • Takes place from 10:00am to 8:00pm local time on Saturday, July 25th and Sunday, July 26th.
  • Day 1:
    • Special research story available (can only be obtained Day 1).
    • Rotating habitats every hour: fire, water, grass, battle, friendship. This means two cycles.
    • Global Challenge Arena available only to ticket holders. Each hour will feature a collaborative challenge that will reward trainers with a bonus for the rest of the hour if completed.
    • Over 75 species of Pokémon in the wild, in raids, and via special research tasks.
  • Day 2:
    • "Something very different" that will be kept as a surprise.
    • Different special research story from Day 1.
  • Special research stories can be completed at any time.
  • Weekly challenges in the three weeks leading up to the event that will unlock more Pokémon to be available during GO Fest.

Pokémon GO Fest 2020 brings summer adventure to you!

Trainers,

Since announcing the dates for Pokémon GO Fest 2020 a couple weeks back, we’ve been so excited to share more details of our first-ever virtual event experience! In the process of developing this new format, we asked ourselves this: What makes Pokémon GO Fest...Pokémon GO Fest? What do Trainers—all of you around the world and us here at Niantic alike—enjoy the most about Pokémon GO live events and, by extension, the game itself? If we had to summarize the answer to these questions in just a few words, we’d have to say community, celebration, and challenge!

Pokémon GO Fest 2020 comes to you

Pokémon GO Fest 2020 will take place over two days. Each day will provide a unique experience as well as a different Special Research story to enjoy. Trainers will be able to participate in both days of the event with one ticket.
  • Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Day 1: On Saturday, July 25, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time, Trainers will enjoy the following.
    • Trainers can access a Special Research story that they can get only on Day 1.
    • Five rotating habitats—themed around fire, water, grass, battle, and friendship—will feature special Pokémon that go along with that habitat’s theme. These habitats will rotate every hour, so each habitat will be featured twice during Day 1.
    • Trainers will be able to work together in the Global Challenge Arena! This GO Fest–exclusive feature will be available only to ticket holders. In the Global Challenge Arena, Trainers will have a chance to join forces in order to complete a collaborative challenge each hour. If Trainers complete a challenge, they will earn a bonus for the remainder of the hour. You can check the Global Challenge Arena screen to keep track of global progress!
    • Trainers will be able to encounter over 75 species of Pokémon in the wild, in raids, and by completing Special Research tasks.
  • Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Day 2: On Sunday, July 26, from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. local time, Trainers will enjoy...something very different! We want the Day 2 experience to be a surprise, so ticket holders will learn what we have in store that very day. There’ll also be another Special Research story for Trainers to enjoy.
And that’s not all! Regardless of whether they have a ticket, Trainers in the US can order a commemorative Pokémon GO Fest 2020 T-shirt, available online from Pokémon Center. Visit PokemonCenter.com now to purchase a T-shirt (while supplies last).

There will also be free downloadable and printable paper crafts and decorations to help bring the Pokémon GO Fest experience to life for every Trainer in your household to enjoy. These will be available to download only for a limited time.

We’re working on a Pokémon GO Fest microsite, which will bring some of our favorite event activities to Trainers around the world. Just like the team lounges at an in-person Pokémon GO Fest, this site will give players a chance to take a break from catching Pokémon and interact with other Trainers, participate in fun giveaways, and get event updates. Stay tuned for more details!

How to purchase a ticket

Tickets to Pokémon GO Fest 2020 are now available in the in-app shop! Tickets are USD$14.99 plus any applicable taxes and fees (or the equivalent in your local currency). Tickets cannot be purchased with PokéCoins.
  1. In the shop, tap the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 image.2. Tap the Buy button.
  2. You’ll then see a pop-up indicating that you’ve received a ticket for Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
  3. After you tap OK, you can find the ticket in your Item Bag.
  4. A few days before the event, you’ll receive a medal. When you open the app during Day 1, you’ll receive access to the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 experience, including the first Special Research story! Make sure to open the app during Day 2 to receive the second Special Research story.
  5. After you’ve obtained the Special Research lines, you can complete them at any time. Tickets to this event are nonrefundable (subject to applicable law and the exceptions set forth in the Terms of Service).
The lead-up to Pokémon GO Fest 2020 will bring weekly challenges

Trainers will enjoy an exciting summer of Pokémon GO events leading up to Pokémon GO Fest 2020! All Trainers globally, regardless whether they have a Pokémon GO Fest 2020 ticket, will be able to enjoy three weeks of weekly challenges in the form of Pokémon GO Fest 2020 Timed Research lines. By completing these Timed Research lines, Trainers will unlock additional Pokémon appearances during Pokémon GO Fest 2020. Stay tuned for more details in a future announcement!

We’ll be donating Niantic proceeds from GO Fest ticket sales, committing a minimum of $5 million. Half of the proceeds donated will be used to fund new projects from Black gaming and AR creators that can live on the Niantic platform, with the goal of increasing content that represents a more diverse view of the world. The other half will go to US nonprofit organizations that are helping local communities rebuild.

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to check the Niantic blog and the Pokémon GO Fest website for more updates in the coming weeks. We can’t wait to share them all with you. Until we can all meet again in the same park and under the same sky...let’s GO!

—The Pokémon GO team

Last edited:
"Something very different"? Can we dare to hope for, finally, the long-awaited release of Shaymin or Manaphy? Or does "something very different" mean Pikachu in a Shaymin hat? So many possibilities.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Wonder what's taking them so long with Kecleon, by the way. Maybe they have a gimmick planned for it, that they just couldn't get ready in time? I could see it being encountered when using AR, appearing in the background and having to be identified before it can be caught.

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
A little bit of a separate issue I've been having as of lately is that I have an old device that I've been using as a secondary device especially when raiding and along with my current device and an iPad I've successfully been doing legendary trios across 3 accounts. In the recent forced update, my old Android 5 device now freezes on the Niantic logo screen then eventually says "Unfortunately Pokemon Go has stopped". According the the Niantic support known issues page, its status is "investigating". This similarly also happened back in December and was eventually fixed, but am not keeping my hopes up so it looks like I'll need to seek outside help through my Discord channel or on a facebook messenger group I belong to. Now that Zekrom comes out today I would've hoped that fix could've come sooner.

New feature to be tested soon.

Limited tests incoming: daily guaranteed Pokémon encounters and Daily Free Boxes in the shop

Trainers,

In our continued efforts to adapt Pokémon GO’s gameplay to individual settings, we’re excited to announce that we’ll be testing two features: daily guaranteed Pokémon encounters and Daily Free Boxes.

Daily guaranteed Pokémon encounters

A limited group of Trainers will soon get a special visit from Professor Willow! If you’re part of this test, he’ll tell you that he’s been working on a special kind of Incense. This Incense won’t appear in your Item Bag, but it’ll be active after Professor Willow gives it to you, attracting a Pokémon once a day that’ll appear only for you. Be sure to check the game every day to see what Pokémon will appear!

Daily Free Boxes in the shop

Soon, a small number of Trainers will be able to receive a free box of items daily in the shop! If you’re part of this test, the Shop button will display a notification when a Daily Free Box is available. To get your Daily Free Box, simply go to the shop and claim the box in the Free section. The box will contain different items each time, so be sure to claim your Daily Free Box every day to see what items you get!

We will be rolling these features out over the coming months to more Trainers, so keep an eye out for updates.

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidance from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Codraroll

Cod Mod
That new feature is probably useful for rural players, or those stuck in quarantine, but not really essential for those who already play the game regularly. My free Daily Box today contained four Poké Balls, and the daily Incense Pokémon was Natu. Yesterday, I got Skitty. Hardly things that are difficult to come by otherwise.

When Pokemon Go has Megaevolution and the latest core games don't, having removed them for something arguably more powerful and less fun...

I don't want to go off topic but I stumbled upon VGC videos on twitch the other day and double battles with Dyna- and Gigantamax worked out exactly how I'd expect them to. Strategy revolved around that mechanic in a way that greatly reduced the diversity of gameplay on display.

Pinsir Raid Day has been canceled, for whatever reason.

Updates to events: Pinsir Raid Day

Trainers,

The following events have been canceled, postponed, or changed.
  • Pinsir Raid Day: This event has been canceled.
Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receive push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated.

—The Pokémon GO team

Details of events leading up to Pokemon GO Fest 2020 have been released.

Week 1: July 3 at 08:00 to July 8 at 22:00 local time
  • Skill Timed Research (3 sets of tasks) for rewards including Ducklett, Flying Pikachu, Star Piece.
    • The following will appear at GO Fest 2020 if one million trainers from the following teams complete the Research:
      • Instict: Chimecho
      • Mystic: Alomomola
      • Valor: Chansey
    • Completing the Skill Timed Research unlocks GO Fest Elite Skill Challenge.
  • 4th Anniversary Event
    • Flying-type Pokemon in hats (yay /s) will appear in the wild, hatch from eggs, and appear in raids. Shiny Pidove debuts.
    • Ducklett debuts via wild encounters and 5km eggs.
    • (Shiny) Flying Pikachu debuts via wild encounters and raids.
    • Jump-Start Special Research will be available to those who missed it last year.
    • Take a snapshot for a surprise.
  • Ho-Oh Special Raid Weekend: July 3 at 08:00 to July 6 at 22:00

Week 2: July 10 at 08:00 to July 15 at 22:00 local time
  • Battle Timed Research (3 sets of tasks) for rewards including Hitmonlee, Absol, Super Rocket Radar.
    • The following will appear at GO Fest 2020 if one million trainers from the following teams complete the Research:
      • Instict: Ferroseed
      • Mystic: Alolan Grimer
      • Valor: Alolan Marowak
    • Completing the Battle Timed Research unlocks GO Fest Elite Battle Challenge.
  • Battle-themed event: July 12 at 11:00 to 14:00

Week 3: July 17 at 08:00 to July 22 at 22:00 local time
  • Friendship Timed Research (3 sets of tasks) for rewards including Alolan Raichu, Petilil, Lucky Egg.
      • Instict: Togetic
      • Mystic: Dratini
      • Valor: Litwick
    • Completing the Friendship Timed Research unlocks GO Fest Elite Friendship Challenge.
  • Summer-themed event
    • Summer-themed Pokemon to appear in the wild, hatch from eggs, and appear in raids. Shiny Bellsprout debuts.
    • Petilil debuts via wild encounters when sunny and 5km eggs.
    • Summer style Pikachu.
    • Take a snapshot for a surprise.

Celebrate Pokémon GO’s fourth anniversary by completing weekly challenges to unlock more species of Pokémon that’ll appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020!

Trainers,

Whether you’re a new Trainer just starting on your adventure or an ace with years of experience, we’re all on this journey together. Thank you, Trainers, for all your hard work in becoming the very best over the last four years! Professor Willow must be proud of all of you.

In celebration of Pokémon GO’s fourth anniversary, you’ll enjoy an exciting summer of Pokémon GO events leading up to Pokémon GO Fest 2020! All Trainers globally, regardless of whether they have a Pokémon GO Fest 2020 ticket, will be able to take part in three weekly challenges in the form of Timed Research lines. By completing these Timed Research lines, Trainers can unlock additional species of Pokémon that’ll appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.

Week 1: Skill challenge and Pokémon GO’s fourth-anniversary celebration event

The first Pokémon GO Fest weekly challenge will coincide with Pokémon GO’s fourth-anniversary celebration! In the four years since Pokémon GO was released, how have your skills improved, Trainers? Have you been keeping up with your basics? It’s time to put you to the test! This first weekly challenge will focus on catching Pokémon, so be sure to perfect your throwing technique ahead of July 3!

During the fourth-anniversary event, special Pokémon will be appearing in the wild, hatching from Eggs, and appearing in raids—notably Flying Pikachu! If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Flying Pikachu!

Date + Time

Friday, July 3, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, July 8, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time

GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Skill
  • Complete all three sets of tasks in the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Skill Timed Research to earn an encounter with Ducklett, an encounter with Flying Pikachu, a Star Piece, and more!
  • If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete this Timed Research, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
    • One million Team Instinct Trainers: Chimecho
    • One million Team Mystic Trainers: Alomomola
    • One million Team Valor Trainers: Chansey
  • If you complete the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Skill Timed Research, you’ll earn access to the GO Fest Elite Skill Challenge, a set of difficult tasks that you can complete to earn personal bragging rights! You don’t need to complete these tasks for your Timed Research to count toward the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 unlock goals.

Fourth-anniversary event features
  • Flying-type Pokémon and Pokémon wearing party hats will be appearing in the wild, hatching from Eggs, and appearing in raids. If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Pidove!
  • Ducklett will be making its Pokémon GO debut! It’ll be appearing in the wild and hatching from 5 km Eggs.
  • Flying Pikachu will be appearing in the wild and in raids. If you’re lucky, you might encounter a Shiny one!
  • The Jump-Start Special Research will also be available this week for any Trainers who missed out on it during last year’s anniversary celebration, so be sure to open the app during this period to claim it. This Special Research is designed to help you catch up with other Trainers, with a ton of Stardust and XP rewards, as well as some exciting Pokémon encounters.
  • Be sure to take a snapshot during this event for a surprise.

Ho-Oh Special Raid Weekend

Ho-Oh will be joining in on the festivities! You can challenge it in five-star raids from Friday, July 3, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Monday, July 6, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time. Be sure to have your Remote Raid Passes stocked—you can purchase them in the shop.

Week 2: Battle-based challenge

Get your Pokémon ready for battle before July 10, Trainers—the second Pokémon GO Fest weekly challenge will test your battle skills!

Date + Time

Friday, July 10, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, July 15, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time

GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Battle
  • Complete all three sets of tasks in the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Battle Timed Research to earn an encounter with Hitmonlee, an encounter with Absol, a Super Rocket Radar, and more!
  • If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete their Timed Research this week, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
    • One million Team Instinct Trainers: Ferroseed
    • One million Team Mystic Trainers: Alolan Grimer
    • One million Team Valor Trainers: Alolan Marowak
  • If you complete the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Battle Timed Research, you’ll earn access to the GO Fest Elite Battle Challenge, a set of difficult tasks that you can complete for personal bragging rights! You don’t need to complete these tasks for your Timed Research to count toward the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 unlock goals.

Battle-themed event

Have your Pokémon ready for battle, Trainers! On Sunday, July 12, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. local time, there will be a battle-themed event! Hopefully it won’t take over too much of your time.

Week 3: Friendship-based challenge

In the third Pokémon GO Fest weekly challenge, it’ll be time to celebrate what Pokémon GO is really all about: friendship. This challenge will ask you to take a moment to appreciate your pals, like your Buddy Pokémon and fellow Trainers! Send Gifts to friends, and don’t forget to attach a Gift sticker, too—it might make your friends’ day. This challenge’s Timed Research will be available until July 22—just a few days before Pokémon GO Fest 2020 starts!

The Timed Research will be accompanied by an event that celebrates summer! Summer Style Pikachu will be appearing in the wild and hatching from Eggs, and Petilil, the Bulb Pokémon, will be making its Pokémon GO debut.

Date + Time

Friday, July 17, 2020, at 8:00 a.m. to Wednesday, July 22, 2020, at 10:00 p.m. local time

GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Friendship
  • Complete all three sets of tasks in the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Friendship Timed Research to earn an encounter with Alolan Raichu, an encounter with Petilil, a Lucky Egg, and more!
  • If the following numbers of Trainers from the same team complete their Timed Research this week, the corresponding Pokémon will appear during Pokémon GO Fest 2020.
    • One million Team Instinct Trainers: Togetic
    • One million Team Mystic Trainers: Dratini
    • One million Team Valor Trainers: Litwick
  • If you complete the GO Fest Weekly Challenge: Friendship Timed Research, you’ll earn access to the GO Fest Elite Friendship Challenge, a set of difficult tasks that you can complete for personal bragging rights! You don’t need to complete these tasks for your Timed Research to count toward the Pokémon GO Fest 2020 unlock goals!

Summer-themed event features
  • Summer-themed Pokémon will be appearing in the wild, hatching from Eggs, and appearing in raids. If you’re lucky, you might find a Shiny Bellsprout!
  • Petilil will be making its Pokémon GO debut! It’ll be appearing in the wild when the weather is sunny and hatching from 5 km Eggs.
  • Summer Style Pikachu will also be appearing in the wild!
  • Be sure to take a snapshot during this event for a surprise.

Be sure to check the Niantic blog and the Pokémon GO Fest website for more updates in the coming weeks. We can’t wait to share them all with you. Until we can all meet again in the same park and under the same sky...let’s GO!

Please be aware of your surroundings and follow guidelines from local health authorities when playing Pokémon GO. Upcoming events are subject to change. Be sure to follow us on social media, opt in to receiving push notifications, and subscribe to our emails to stay updated. For the latest on in-game events and feature updates, be sure to check this help center article.

—The Pokémon GO team

Last edited:

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I really really hope Megas aren't raid locked.. bad enough I haven't been able to get a legendary in like a year. I don't like the idea of item locking either (a la fucking sinnoh stones) but as someone that doesn't have people to raid with, item locking is far more preferable (or god forbid doing both, needing to raid to have a chance at getting a stone would be the worst)

Excited for whatever flying pikachu is and petilil.

... Why is Mystic getting the short end of the sticks?

Alomomola? Grimer? Dratini?
(Don't, people has a lot of Dragonites over years, and for those who say it's for newbies, rerun Jump start research gives you a Dragonite straight too.)

Instinct at least shares the pain a bit, although Togepi is rare now and Togekiss is very powerful in Master League PvP.

But Valor got Chansey (fattest gym defender Blissey), Marowak A (very good PvP option), and... Ok, at least Chandelure isn't that good when we have Gengar from its many events before, and both aren't practical with Gira existing.

Well, I'm not going to have time for such event anyway. It has to be very tiring.
I'll calmly collect Gengar materials for next CD. Already has one at 15/15/13Def.

Hold up, I thought they just unlock those Pokemon for everyone. I've never been to Go Fest for geographical reasons, but my understanding is that if a million trainers from Team Instinct complete the Skill Timed Research for example, Chimecho appears for everyone at Go Fest, and not just for Team Instinct members. And if that's the case, then surely they get the better end of the deal because they're not as pressured to finish the Research.

I've finally finished 15 raids for Throwback Challenge. Should be pretty easy here on ou- oh nevermind I have to catch a Dragon-type Pokemon for 4/5...

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be an unlock for everyone. Valor doesn't get the best spawns, it's just their job to unlock the coolest mons for everyone.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
So, the Pokémon are going to spawn only for the players who have bought a GO Fest ticket?

I'm just as desperate for Litwick candy as the next person out there, and it'd be great to have more Chansey and Togepi candy as well, but I sure as heck aren't going to spend $20 to get it.

So, the Pokémon are going to spawn only for the players who have bought a GO Fest ticket?

I'm just as desperate for Litwick candy as the next person out there, and it'd be great to have more Chansey and Togepi candy as well, but I sure as heck aren't going to spend $20 to get it.
Judging from their previous post about GO Fest, it seems like the ticket will grant exclusive access to Global Challenge Arena. It's not even that clear whether or not you need a ticket for the special research on those days, nor is it clear whether you need one to see those 75+ Pokemon. Does anyone remember what it was like in previous years? I never bought a ticket but I don't recall if I had access to limited features on those days.

It seems like the GO Fest stuff is being combined with the summer challenges this year. Last year the faction-tasks were related to things like unlocking the shiny beast raids, if I recall correctly. With Safari zones in previous years there were usually some boosted spawns of newly-introduced shinies for everyone, maybe along with a few other species, but it feels like that had been happening less and less with recent events.

From the wording, it definitely sounds like the unlocked Marowak, etc., will only spawn if you have a ticket, but potentially the GO Fest Elite Battle Challenge and GO Fest Elite Friendship Challenge might be unlocked for everyone?

Ah okay right, so GO Fest stuff is exclusively for ticket holders. I got really confused because of this in the previous announcement:

Trainers will be able to work together in the Global Challenge Arena! This GO Fest–exclusive feature will be available only to ticket holders.
They really made it sound like other stuff would be available to non-ticket holders. Kinda weird to include that line if the entire thing were for ticket holders only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)