Gen III Battle Frontier Discussion and Records

Reporting a 170 Arena streak! I really wanted to hit 200, but missed the cut due to the a bad damage roll. Actaeon reached 219 unofficially (lost to Lapras, Dewgong and Salamence- two sheer cold hits).

Actaeon and I have been teambuilding for a while and we agreed that Yawn Careful Snorlax is the best Arena mon barr none and came to a consensus on it's bulk. Shadowball requires a little too much investment for it to be worthwhile, although its more viable on my gyarados team.
View attachment 327742

Snorlax (God) @ Lum Berry - Set explanation
The optimal 260 HP
4 speed to out speed opposing Snorlax/ Slow twins / Steelix
A good amount of def and SpD
Rest in attack

Defensive calculations
252+ Atk Choice Band Armaldo Rock Slide vs. 196 HP / 220 Def Snorlax: 109-129 (41.9 - 49.6%)
252+ Atk Machamp Cross Chop vs. 196 HP / 220 Def Snorlax: 200-236 (76.9 - 90.7%)
252+ SpA Latios Psychic vs. 196 HP / 76+ SpD Snorlax: 67-79 (25.7 - 30.3%)

You have nickname this Snorlax. It adds to the luck factor by like 100%. I nicknamed mine "Unkillable" and it was getting haxxed left and right. "God" is a fitting one for Lax. Basically, this Snorlax dominates judging by timing rest/attacking properly. Notice this Snorlax has LUM BERRY. Both Latios and Lax want it, but it is essential for Snorlax to have it to avoid losses due to confusion/para. In particular, it guarantees the victory vs Greta by spamming return.

Latios ("Soul Dew" ) @ Cheri Berry
Set needs no introduction, this is the standard set. As expected, Yawn Snorlax unlocks Latios's true potential as a sweeper. It gets the opportunity to set up a CM, while being @ full health in a lot of scenarios.

View attachment 327743

View attachment 327750

Last one is Medicham. It's your haymaker last spot, when things go wrong. I asked Actaeon to try out Heracross for me and the problems of being walled by shedninja and poison types came into play. Medicham has the power and unresisted coverage to destroy things and potentially squeeze out a win. Stab fighting moves are huge godsend after Latios, handling blissey/regis, ice types.

Set Explanation/ Max attack & Max speed.
Actaeon and I have discussed multiple other spreads. Including 252 attack/ 76 def/ rest in speed. This one avoids the ko from QC snorlax and lives an Adamant Gengar shadow ball ( My loss was to Gengar 2, Cool trainer Vince).

I will post some replays and the loss.
Congratulations for taking that #1 spot on the best way possible! Our voice chat during Actaeon's stream was one hell of an experience but this team operates wonderfully and I'm really glad you were able to break this record. I'm sure you'll be able to break the 200 win barrier soon and I'm confident of your abilities! Best of luck if you're aiming for the 200 wins and congrats submenceisop!!

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Reporting a 170 Arena streak! I really wanted to hit 200, but missed the cut due to the a bad damage roll. Actaeon reached 219 unofficially (lost to Lapras, Dewgong and Salamence- two sheer cold hits).
Congrats on this! Really excellent work. I was considering investing some time in the Arena and maybe trying out the Lati sandwich team but honestly I think you two have got it nailed, I'm not going to do much better.

Updating my multi level 50 streak to 112 wins. I got to 70 wins with my Joziah save and my Japanese save file, which then parted ways to keep the 70 streak intact on one game. The Joziah save file then partnered with various other games to get to 112. Unfortunately the run ended when the connection was lost, but happily the game still keeps a record of it (rather than just wiping it like it normally does when you quit without saving). Think I'm probably done with this mode for the time being, 112 is pretty decent.

The team remained the same as ever, with Latios + Aerodactyl on one side and Tauros + Latias on the other. I really can't overstate how good Tauros + Latios is as a combo, they're able to KO such a stunning amount between them. Latias combos equally well and has a slight niche in that she blocks Attract users, but the power drop is very noticeable. Aerodactyl is the weak link but it fills many of the same niches: fast, Ground-immune, and very powerful with a Choice Band. Still, it's much more frail than the others and can't get the same momentum if used as a lead, so it's kept as backup and works well as a revenge killer.

Biggest threats to this squad:

-Bulky boosters like Regirock, Registeel, Umbreon, and Snorlax. They're much easier to handle if they come out first. Ganging up is the only recourse but several variants of Snorlax and Regirock can survive two hits.
-Generally anything that forces a switch. If the two leads are Earthquake-weak but the backups are immune, Tauros generally has to switch (unless they're nonthreatening enough to leave alone) and this can be problematic.
-Bulky Counter and Mirror Coat users. Swampert and Scizor can both tank pretty much any hit and reflect it back for a cheap KO. Generally if Swampert appears I avoid attacking it to scout whether it has Counter or Mirror Coat, or simply leave it until it's the last Pokemon on the field so I can gang up on it.
-Steel-types in general (Aggron, Metagross, Forretress, et al) if Tauros has already selected Double-Edge. Latios can't really do much to most of them, bar Skarmory and Steelix.
-Quick Claw Explosion users. Didn't see too many of these but they can really spoil things if they come out first

Couple more observations about this mode:
  • Not sure if it was ever in doubt but for the sake of covering all bases can confirm that species clause is in effect here, unlike in the Gen VI's Maison or Gen VII's Tree; the game will not allow you to join a trainer with one or both of the same species
  • When you link up, you are prompted to choose a leader, much like when you trade or mix records, and the other player must request to join. This has no effect on your streak beyond the ordering of the players; the leader is always the player on the left-hand side
  • I received ribbons upon reaching 56 wins this time so yes, you do get ribbons in this mode
  • Curiously (and I'm probably literally the only person who finds this interesting but here goes) the in-game Record Hall displays my streak as this. The problem? My finished streak wasn't with Zircon - when I broke the streak, I was partnered with my Rald save file. However, the previous round was with Zircon, so I guess the game counts the partner from the final, completed round.
1617193928011.png

1617193411532.png

Last edited:

Actaeon and I have been teambuilding for a while and we agreed that Yawn Careful Snorlax is the best Arena mon barr none and came to a consensus on it's bulk. Shadowball requires a little too much investment for it to be worthwhile, although its more viable on my gyarados team.
View attachment 327742

Snorlax (God) @ Lum Berry - Set explanation
The optimal 260 HP
4 speed to out speed opposing Snorlax/ Slow twins / Steelix
A good amount of def and SpD
Rest in attack

Defensive calculations
252+ Atk Choice Band Armaldo Rock Slide vs. 196 HP / 220 Def Snorlax: 109-129 (41.9 - 49.6%)
252+ Atk Machamp Cross Chop vs. 196 HP / 220 Def Snorlax: 200-236 (76.9 - 90.7%)
252+ SpA Latios Psychic vs. 196 HP / 76+ SpD Snorlax: 67-79 (25.7 - 30.3%)

You have nickname this Snorlax. It adds to the luck factor by like 100%. I nicknamed mine "Unkillable" and it was getting haxxed left and right. "God" is a fitting one for Lax. Basically, this Snorlax dominates judging by timing rest/attacking properly. Notice this Snorlax has LUM BERRY. Both Latios and Lax want it, but it is essential for Snorlax to have it to avoid losses due to confusion/para. In particular, it guarantees the victory vs Greta by spamming return.

Latios ("Soul Dew" ) @ Cheri Berry
Standard Latios set with 3 coverage moves for maximum effectiveness.

View attachment 327743
As expected, Yawn Snorlax unlocks Latios's true potential as a sweeper. It gets the opportunity to set up a CM, while being @ full health in a lot of scenarios. Latios or Snorlax sweeps often and ideally Medi doesn't come out.

View attachment 327750

Medicham (ALL- IN) @ Salac Berry
Set Explanation/ Max attack & Max speed.
Actaeon and I have discussed multiple other spreads. Including 252 attack/ 76 def/ rest in speed. This one avoids the ko from QC snorlax and lives an Adamant Gengar shadow ball ( My loss was to Gengar 2, Cool trainer Vince).
252+ Atk Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham: 122-144 (90.3 - 106.6%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Last one is Medicham. It's your haymaker last spot, when things go wrong. I asked Actaeon to try out Heracross for me and the problems of being walled by shedninja and poison types came into play. Medicham has the power and un resisted coverage to destroy things and potentially squeeze out a win. Stab fighting moves are huge godsend after Latios, handling blissey/regis, ice types.

Other choices we discussed: Slaking, CB Ursaring, Heracross, Tauros, Arcanine

I will post some replays and the loss. Thank you to Actaeon for watching the streak and his help for making this a reality. We deserve ton of props for figuring this out. I have no interest in coming back to the Arena now. Although this team has the potential to cross 200 with good luck. I had pretty good luck until the very end.

Memorable moments
Sailor Omar going 4/4 on ohko moves
Medicham dodging burns from houndoom 3x
Regice NOT attacking latios- Latios won 2x lol

Threat list
Opposing psychic types- spam return targets
Crits from Metagross
QC users obviously
Houndoom vs Latios. It's possible to get haxxed here, but both Actaeon and I never did.
ohko users
Scizor in slot 2. Ended two runs before this.

https://pokepast.es/1c7c1ecf35ae184a

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/531026323
Centralizing the best item, the lum berry, onto snorlax is one of those genius moves that makes sense when you see it but is so hard to get yourself to do because everything else wants lum too and snorlax is actually a good user of other items so you actually feel like your just losing a good item in chesto or leftovers. Why I like it is that as the bulky lead snorlax will see the most opponents and is slow and likely to get statused and even against the opponents snorlax can't beat you still can make a big play with yawn that takes advantage of not being statused.

salac reversal as the anchor is cool too because you want something that can 1v3 if things go wrong. If anyone is trying to make their own team for the arena I recommend starting with this lead snorlax because there are a lot of decent arena pokemon that can follow it, maybe not as good as latios but tons of interesting ones.

It fills my heart to see an arena team winning that actually wins with some judging and makes use of an arena oddity (yawn). This is a good day for the emerald battle frontier.

Last edited:
For all the players who would like to attempt another streak at the Battle Palace, I'd like to share a team that dgice and I improved, utilizing the infamous DIESAL Struggling Snorlax. Here it is!

CIGARETTE (Salamence) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 20 HP / 252 Atk / 236 Spe
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Flamethrower

DIESAL (Snorlax) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 164 HP / 92 Def / 252 SpD
Bashful Nature (neutral)
- Curse
- Amnesia
- Double Team
- Rest

RESERVOIR (Suicune) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Dive
- Rest

The idea is to Intimidate right from the start, increasing both Snorlax and Suicune's physical bulk instantly. Snorlax sets up on special attackers, but against the really strong ones such as Espeon and Latios, Salamence sacks itself in order to bring in Snorlax without damage (or straight out beats them).

Suicune performs multiple roles: it can stall physical attackers, beat Rock-types, and swallows a ton of PP against anything in general. It either beats or stalls Metagross to the point where the rest of the team easily wins. Including the OHKO-spammers this team is otherwise weak against. It can also hold its own against a variety of Pokemon if something goes wrong with Snorlax.

But usually, you only have to play the first 5 to 10 turns of this team seriously, and after that you can sit back and win while autofiring the A button and rolling a cigarette, hence the Salamence nickname. Note that Sassy nature makes it survive weak Ice Beams and only get 2HKOed by some decently powerful Psychics. Also, Flametrower OHKOs most Scizor and Forretress and Rock Slide has over 50% chance to OHKO Zapdos if necessary.

Oh yeah, Spenser is free after beating Arcanine with Suicune and stalling Slaking out of Hyper Beam PP before setting up Snorlax. Setting up against Arcanine is also possible (although it takes long to outstall Roar), but then you'll be vulnerable to a crit Hyper Beam, which has almost 2% chance of happening through Double Team and +6 Defense. Slaking gets two shots at doing this, however.

Have fun with this, I personally got over 100 pretty easily but off the record, and lost when the autofire button prevented me from switching into Double-Edge Entei to Intimidate it: entirely my own mistake.
This team is the real deal, I do think we've found a team where you are in control of the palace 95% of the time and aren't completely dead the other 5%, the old threats are all still there but we now have at least strategies against them. Dive+earthquake team up against a lot of threats (armaldo, rhydon, regirock, marowak, metagross ect) and pressure stalling gives you a real tool in a lot of risky scenarios. Pressure+intimidate are so good against things like cross chop, this suicune behind an intimidate is a strong pokemon on it's own since it can set up a substitute. What Actaeon didn't mention is how sassy banded (over hasty) rockslide mence is important to help you against threats like lapras where you just risk it and attack hopefully KO'ing but even if you lose at least your suicune gets a turn to use it's speed to avoid an OHKO. It also helps against the flying dragon dancers.

There are several threats after setting up, getting double countered (Snorlax's giant hp stat helps here), getting ohko moved (ignores double team, but i would rather have a set up snorlax when facing one so I have 3 pokemon that can attack the ohko user instead of 2),
psych up (generally snorlax with it's high base stats and leftovers will be better here especially if they are wasting turns on psych up). Destiny bond if it's their second pokemon. I've added a notice on the Thomaz sheet for how many counter/OHKO users they have but most trainers have several.

Swap stalling special attackers with elemental punches is interesting. Your goal is just to stall as many moves as you can to decrease the likely hood of snorlax getting burned after you have rest. If your opponent has higher power moves like psychic or thunderbolt they will mostly use those before fire punch. You need to be careful with suicune in this situation to know when to let it stay in to use it's chesto and eventually stop taking damage with it around 45% health in a lot of scenarios. Also you probably want to burn some turns keeping snorlax in on threating moves hopefully getting off an amnesia as it can take way more hits than suicune and you have some extra moves, you just don't want to go to far below 6 on your set up moves and fewer rests used is of course better.

Swords dance is just try and attack them but curse/dragon dance you can intimidate and in fact you need to otherwise you end up with a +6+6 quagsire struggling using your own strategy against you.

If only the streak we counted was how many turns you survived before losing instead of how many battles, this team would dominate. Snorlax alone takes 53 moves to set up, multiplied by (1/0.85) for all the time you don't move equals 62 plus the 8 turns it takes to struggle your opponets to death. Then you're often stalling out another pokemon before switching to snorlax which can be 20-40 turns. I tried struggle lax on retail before and iirc each battle took 30-60 minutes.
I'm going to attempt this on retail some day (probably going to be awhile to get another suicune since I like resetting for it the old fashioned way, I have pretty close parents for the other two) but when I do I will probably use the bulky aggressive team to get to at least 70 first (maybe end on a palace maven round since those are easier since the maven is easy to setup on). And against trainers like guitarist or grass types I will probably just attack with salamence even if it's a free setup with snorlax.

It's hard to remember what my 99 win team was like right now, but to compare the two your snorlax matchups turn into opportunites to setup for the most part besides some calm minders that may require some assistance now, and your suicune matchups get a little worse without surf and ice beam to protect you from attack boosters. Salamence not being hasty give you a lot more confidence in the matchups it sweeps in but does make it harder when it needs to trade punches and 2hko

I recorded several hours of play with live commentary but I didn't find many interesting matches, here is just one sample.

long version:

I still want to work through some ideas around shedninja in the palace since it is a hard counter to so many pokemon but I haven't really started. It probably pairs well with something like physically defensive claydol or flygon since they resist it's weaknesses and have earthquake for lots of threats. Needs something for the elemental punchers though. Or like a shedninja paired next to a physical version of struggle lax (regirock or registeel) where the plan is to set up against physical pokemon. It might be able to function next to offensive flygon and suicune.

Last edited:
This team is the real deal, I do think we've found a team where you are in control of the palace 95% of the time and aren't completely dead the other 5%, the old threats are all still there but we now have at least strategies against them. Dive+earthquake team up against a lot of threats (armaldo, rhydon, regirock, marowak, metagross ect) and pressure stalling gives you a real tool in a lot of risky scenarios. Pressure+intimidate are so good against things like cross chop, this suicune behind an intimidate is a strong pokemon on it's own since it can set up a substitute. What Actaeon didn't mention is how sassy banded (over hasty) rockslide mence is important to help you against threats like lapras where you just risk it and attack hopefully KO'ing but even if you lose at least your suicune gets a turn to use it's speed to avoid an OHKO. It also helps against the flying dragon dancers.

There are several threats after setting up, getting double countered (Snorlax's giant hp stat helps here), getting ohko moved (ignores double team, but i would rather have a set up snorlax when facing one so I have 3 pokemon that can attack the ohko user instead of 2),
psych up (generally snorlax with it's high base stats and leftovers will be better here especially if they are wasting turns on psych up). Destiny bond if it's their second pokemon. I've added a notice on the Thomaz sheet for how many counter/OHKO users they have but most trainers have several.

Swap stalling special attackers with elemental punches is interesting. Your goal is just to stall as many moves as you can to decrease the likely hood of snorlax getting burned after you have rest. If your opponent has higher power moves like psychic or thunderbolt they will mostly use those before fire punch. You need to be careful with suicune in this situation to know when to let it stay in to use it's chesto and eventually stop taking damage with it around 45% health in a lot of scenarios. Also you probably want to burn some turns keeping snorlax in on threating moves hopefully getting off an amnesia as it can take way more hits than suicune and you have some extra moves, you just don't want to go to far below 6 on your set up moves and fewer rests used is of course better.

Swords dance is just try and attack them but curse/dragon dance you can intimidate and in fact you need to otherwise you end up with a +6+6 quagsire struggling using your own strategy against you.

If only the streak we counted was how many turns you survived before losing instead of how many battles, this team would dominate. Snorlax alone takes 53 moves to set up, multiplied by (1/0.85) for all the time you don't move equals 62 plus the 8 turns it takes to struggle your opponets to death. Then you're often stalling out another pokemon before switching to snorlax which can be 20-40 turns. I tried struggle lax on retail before and iirc each battle took 30-60 minutes.
I'm going to attempt this on retail some day (probably going to be awhile to get another suicune since I like resetting for it the old fashioned way, I have pretty close parents for the other two) but when I do I will probably use the bulky aggressive team to get to at least 70 first (maybe end on a palace maven round since those are easier since the maven is easy to setup on). And against trainers like guitarist or grass types I will probably just attack with salamence even if it's a free setup with snorlax.

It's hard to remember what my 99 win team was like right now, but to compare the two your snorlax matchups turn into opportunites to setup for the most part besides some calm minders that may require some assistance now, and your suicune matchups get a little worse without surf and ice beam to protect you from attack boosters. Salamence not being hasty give you a lot more confidence in the matchups it sweeps in but does make it harder when it needs to trade punches and 2hko

I recorded several hours of play with live commentary but I didn't find many interesting matches, here is just one sample.

long version:

I still want to work through some ideas around shedninja in the palace since it is a hard counter to so many pokemon but I haven't really started. It probably pairs well with something like physically defensive claydol or flygon since they resist it's weaknesses and have earthquake for lots of threats. Needs something for the elemental punchers though. Or like a shedninja paired next to a physical version of struggle lax (regirock or registeel) where the plan is to set up against physical pokemon. It might be able to function next to offensive flygon and suicune.
This is a very thorough post about the "Cigarette" team (honored to see you use my nicknames aside from Diesal lol), I agree with everything you mentioned. Surf on Suicune is a lifesaver in some scenarios and does make it a little bit better in 1v1 scenarios, but Dive is generally way more dependable when it comes to stalling PP. If Cune would be able to carry Leftovers, Dive would be even better of course.

For some reason though, whenever I use Dive as the attacking move, Suicune seems to choose the Defensive moves less often, which I don't understand. Maybe it's just a feeling because Dive is "two attacking moves at once". In some scenarios, although rarely, I found the double-powered Surf of the opponent to do a little too much damage while using Dive. So I'm still not really pertinent on Surf or Dive; they both have really important functions in different matchups.

Rock Slide is probably the most important move on the entire Salamence, I forgot to mention indeed. Stopping those DD'ers cheaply and having a good chance to 2HKO Lapras/Walrein before they get a chance to do something is perfect.

For the Whiscash battle by the way, you were right about not switching back to Salamence when you got Suicune in; a random Ice Beam or Fissure on the switch, which can happen even if Salamence is immune to Fissure lol) spells doom. If only switchstalling was a decent strategy in Palace haha.
I really like your video's, and hope this team will heighten the ceiling of the Palace!

Last edited:
honored to see you use my nicknames aside from Diesal lol
I didn't have them at first but I went in and changed them for the recording because I just had to pay my respects for how you came in and solved problems I described and problems I didn't describe. Seeing your improvements to the team was an awesome feeling. They're both great nicknames too, I'm probably gonna change cigarette when I play on retail though because I just don't like thinking about cigarettes.

I am so incredibly happy to share that I have attained all 7 golden symbols for the first time in my life. I remember pre-ordering Pokémon Emerald and pouring over the promotional material for the battle frontier. I dreamed of becoming the master of all seven facilities but never had any success. Today I was able to fulfill that dream, and I could not have done it without the wonderful people and resources here. From the bottom of my heart: thank you all.
All Gold Symbols.png

For completion's sake, here are my posts for each facility so far: Battle Tower, Battle Dome, Battle Pyramid, Battle Arena, and Battle Factory [RNG].

Battle Pike.png

I am not the biggest fan of the Pike, though I definitely see its appeal! I based my team off of this team by submenceisop.

:rs/Gengar:
Gengar @ Lum Berry (Timid)
Psychic / Ice Punch / Thunderbolt / Fire Punch
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe [173 Speed]
IVs: 0 Attack

I decided to switch perish song for psychic to make some battles easier. It's much less optimal but my goal was 140 and this did the trick.

:rs/Metagross:
Metagross @ Choice Band (Adamant)
Hidden Power (Steel) / Shadow Ball / Earthquake / Explosion
EVs: 4 HP / 252Atk / 252Spe [122 Speed]
IVs: 30 SpD

Metagross has been on every team I've shared thus far. Just an amazing Pokémon. Them and Gengar are both immune to poison.

:rs/Blissey:
Blissey @ Leftovers (Bold)
Seismic Toss / Toxic / Soft-boiled / Aromatherapy
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Def / 84 Spe [86 Speed]
IVs: 0 Atk, perfect otherwise
Credits: Obtained from the kind folks at the Bank of Hoenn.

Cleric and clutch. Natural cure is a godsend.

Battle Palace.png

The final facility standing between me and all gold symbols.

:rs/Latios:
Latios @ Lum Berry (Hasty)
Dragon Claw / Psychic / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind
IVs: Perfect.
Notes: Obtained using the R/S Battle Tower glitch. I'm working on a write-up with more details, but the frames are 1935 in the lobby and 3745 to start the battle.
Chances: Above half HP {58%, 37%, 5%}, Below half HP {88%, 5%, 5%}

I was surprised to see no Latios leads in the level 50 leaderboard! This thing is a monster. It tore through probably 80% of the enemies by itself. I chose it as lead because of how powerful calm mind stalling is normally, nevermind when your opponent is unlikely to be able to hit you with super effective attacks two times in a row.

:rs/Registeel:
Registeel @ Leftovers (Adamant)
Hidden Power Steel / Aerial Ace / Amnesia / Curse
EVs: 12 HP / 252 Atk / 116 Def / 124 SpD / 4 Spe [71 Speed]
IVs: 11 SpA, 30 SpD
Notes: Obtained from the wonderful folks at the Bank of Hoenn.
Chances: Above half HP {38%, 31%, 31%}, Below half HP {70%, 15%, 15%}

I got the idea for this when I realized that amnesia is a defense move and curse is a support move. Registeel needs a LOT of time to get going and that's just fine in the drawn out slap fights that take place in the Palace. HP steel is for STAB and aerial ace lets me check evasion spam. Slow and steady wins the race I guess.

:rs/Latias:
Latias @ Petaya Berry (Modest)
Dragon Claw / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind / Flash
EVs: 36 Def / 252 SpA / 220 Spe [158 Speed]
IVs: Perfect.
Notes: Obtained by chance using the R/S Battle Tower glitch.
Chances: Above half HP {34%, 45%, 20%}, Below half HP {34%, 60%, 6%}

I'm going to be honest: I've had a massive headache all day and didn't feel like breeding the third member I had planned (Hasty Salamence). Latias with calm mind and flash was an idea I had while building the team but didn't pursue for very long. But I had a modest Latias that was a few tms from filling this slot so I went for it. The concept is interesting but thankfully Latios and Registeel handled ~95% of the Pokémon we faced.

Edit: In my excitement I forgot to mention that these runs were accomplished on emulator in the level 50 brackets.

Last edited:
Taking the honor of posting what submenceisop and I think is a pretty good attempt at a full-Pressure meme stall/setup, after some nights of discussion. It was a nice experience to finally build something acceptable for this archetype, and half the credit goes to submence of course.

If played patiently, I think it can go pretty far. It features my two favorite blue Pokemon:

View attachment 325625
Dusclops (F)
Impish Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
- Torment
- Protect
- Thief

- Icy Wind

Dusclops leads with Protect usually to scout the set if there's no possibility of the opponent setting up. Electric-types, which the team is weak to, can't OHKO Dusclops even with a critical hit, so they usually have plenty of opportunity to get Icy Winded and/or Tormented. Thief is for Quick Claw, especially the physicals like Rhydon and Ursaring. Dusclops' ability to soak up PP right from the start by spamming Protect in between the "real moves" greatly helps if the strategy doesn't fully develop as wished.

The EVs bless Dusclops with these calcs. You can tweak what you want, but you simply can't guarantee everything. I chose to never die to Electric assaults, since these are the most threatening in my opinion:

170+ Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Dusclops on a critical hit: 122-144 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
255 Atk Metagross Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Dusclops on a critical hit: 125-148 (85 - 100.6%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
255+ Atk Rhydon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Dusclops on a critical hit: 127-150 (86.3 - 102%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
255+ SpA Raikou Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Dusclops on a critical hit: 122-144 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
255+ SpA Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 124 SpD Dusclops on a critical hit: 124-147 (84.3 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
255+ Atk Snorlax Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 132+ Def Dusclops on a critical hit: 122-144 (82.9 - 97.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

View attachment 325626
Articuno @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
EVs: 220 HP / 60 SpD / 228 Spe
- Haze
- Substitute
- Protect

- Toxic

Articuno, a slightly improved Delibird, stalls what it can and prevents setup with Haze, which is a very nice, spammable move even if it does nothing because of its large base PP. Toxic is ideally never used, but is essential to remove Water Absorb threats from the field even if Suicune has setup already. It also gives Articuno a way to fight back, should something completely go the wrong way. The EVs let it outspeed even Jolteon-4 after Icy Wind and Articuno is pretty bulky on the special side:

255+ SpA Gengar Psychic vs. 220 HP / 60+ SpD Articuno: 41-49 (21.2 - 25.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
55+ SpA Alakazam Thunder Punch vs. 220 HP / 60+ SpD Articuno: 71-84 (36.7 - 43.5%) -- 99.3% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Walrein Ice Beam vs. 220 HP / 60+ SpD Articuno: 38-45 (19.6 - 23.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
0 SpA Swampert Surf vs. 220 HP / 60+ SpD Articuno: 35-42 (18.1 - 21.7%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
-2 255 SpA Blaziken Thunder Punch vs. 220 HP / 60+ SpD Articuno: 28-34 (14.5 - 17.6%) -- possible 9HKO after Leftovers recovery

Note that this Articuno is way different from the Articuno on Mono Ice since it's faster, has Leftovers, and doesn't need to wall physicals as well since Dusclops can Thief and/or Torment them (and stall way more PP on its own than Jynx, lol). It's less bulky, but provides a lot of utility and usually leaves the field pretty healthy to help Suicune later in the game if it gets stuck.

View attachment 325627
Suicune @ Salac Berry
Bold Nature
EVs: 60 HP / 212 Def / 4 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe
- Surf
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

- Rest

We all know how easily Suicune sets up, but now it's against unboosted Struggles. We consider the other dogs as well, but Suicune is the only one that has its counters wallable by Articuno and it's by far the easiest to setup against Struggles. The strongest unboosted Struggle in the game:

255 Atk Pure Power Medicham Struggle vs. 60 HP / 212+ Def Suicune: 24-29 (13.1 - 15.8%) -- possible 7HKO

It spams Calm Mind, Substitutes into Salac Berry and Rests up. After it wakes up, it finishes boosting up and Substitutes yet again only before Resting up. Finally, it Substitutes and sweeps after waking up, usually sweeping in the range of 50% to 60% of its health where it still survives plenty of moves even if its Substitute would be broken. Then it cleans with a net speed of 201, outspeeding even Jolteon-4 and preventing the Substitute break against many other fast threats such as Espeon, Aerodactyl, Gengar and Sceptile (against the latter, Suicune can just make another Sub if it's at high enough health). The Salac Berry also prevents the Substitute from getting broken by a faster Pokemon's crit Struggle when clicking Surf for the first time.

So yeah, the Water Absorbers and Double Team Water-type walls Suicune gets stuck against are all Toxic bait for Articuno.

Problems? A lot of things are a bit shaky, but worth mentioning are the following:
Water Absorb or bulky water OHKOers with quite some luck, the Rhydon crit 18%, and incredible Thunderbolt parahax from the start. Other than that, it's a matter of patience, careful play and good scouting/looking up sets to keep winning consistently.

In the end, I think this team is about as good as the Christmas Special Stantler + Suicune + Delibird team, with a better filler over Delibird such as Steelix.
So, I've been test running this team and there's actually more issues with it than we realized.

Additional List of problems
Icy wind accuracy against anything faster than Articuno.
Insane crit/para from electric types. Far more likely than we realized. Sometimes they even switch out if tormented.
No rest on Articuno means it's prone to being heavily worn down in a bad matchup/fears status. In particular Alakazam has too much PP that Articuno isn't likely to be healthy at all by the end.
QC fissure users with rock coverage (such as Donphan, DUGTRIO- CAN HAVE DOUBLE EDGE= dies before you set up)

EXPLOSION USERS= all deserve it's own tier
You can't set up safely on these and you are highly dependent on the next pokemon being a non threat.

Two practice scenarios I lost
Double Explosion+ QC Snorlax = talk about a counter team lol.
QC donphan wrecking my shit. Tried to steal the QC after the first protect, got nailed by fissure. Then Articuno got hit by QC rockslide and it was GG from there.

Two practice scenarios I barely won
Explosion Weezing into Ursaring (barely won this).
QC explosion Metagross, into Thunderbolt Gengar. Also barely won this.

Changes we made
Articuno is now timid with enough speed to outspeed up to Houndoom (insurance in case icy wind misses/dusclops gets haxxed)
Bulkier Suicune- still enough to outspeed everything BUT Jolteon 4, now lives crit Starmie t-bolt from full health.

https://pokepast.es/dea7045e22f5cf92

Initially, I had the belief that this team could reach 500 or 1000+ wins. I'm not so certain anymore. It's still a very solid team, as everyone knows how easily Suicune sets up and demolishes teams, particularly now that it has a speed boost to prevent revenge kills from faster pokemon like Starmie.
When it works, it really works, but the "unlikely scenarios" like QC explosion Metagross+ Gengar basically means an auto loss or a CLOSE win. These scenarios are far more likely than assumed and there's obviously that minor issue of water absorb users (particularly QC Lapras and QC Quagsire in situations where you couldn't steal the QC).

Last edited:
So, I've been test running this team and there's actually more issues with it than we realized.

Additional List of problems
Icy wind accuracy against anything faster than Articuno.
Insane crit/para from electric types. Far more likely than we realized. Sometimes they even switch out if tormented.
No rest on Articuno means it's prone to being heavily worn down in a bad matchup/fears status. In particular Alakazam has too much PP that Articuno isn't likely to be healthy at all by the end.
QC fissure users with rock coverage (such as Donphan, DUGTRIO- CAN HAVE DOUBLE EDGE= dies before you set up)

EXPLOSION USERS= all deserve it's own tier
You can't set up safely on these and you are highly dependent on the next pokemon being a non threat.

Two practice scenarios I lost
Double Explosion+ QC Snorlax = talk about a counter team lol.
QC donphan wrecking my shit. Tried to steal the QC after the first protect, got nailed by fissure. Then Articuno got hit by QC rockslide and it was GG from there.

Two practice scenarios I barely won
Explosion Weezing into Ursaring (barely won this).
QC explosion Metagross, into Thunderbolt Gengar. Also barely won this.

Changes we made
Articuno is now timid with enough speed to outspeed up to Houndoom (insurance in case icy wind misses/dusclops gets haxxed)
Bulkier Suicune- still enough to outspeed everything BUT Jolteon 4, now lives crit Starmie t-bolt from full health.

https://pokepast.es/dea7045e22f5cf92

Initially, I had the belief that this team could reach 500 or 1000+ wins. I'm not so certain anymore. It's still a very solid team, as everyone knows how easily Suicune sets up and demolishes teams, particularly now that it has a speed boost to prevent revenge kills from faster pokemon like Starmie.
When it works, it really works, but the "unlikely scenarios" like QC explosion Metagross+ Gengar basically means an auto loss or a CLOSE win. These scenarios are far more likely than assumed and there's obviously that minor issue of water absorb users (particularly QC Lapras and QC Whiscash in situations where you couldn't steal the QC).
This summarizes well the "modern" counters to the improved team. In my personal test streaks I must have been lucky enough to avoid these scenarios. The strategy against any Double-Edge is to combine a Torment with well-timed Protects and possible Dusclops switch-ins to prevent the Pokemon from succumbing to recoil damage.

Usually when I play the team, I try to stall the OHKO'ers that tend to use Ground-moves on Dusclops, like Donphan, by switching to Articuno and use Protect in between before switching again. All of this before using Thief, if you use Thief at all. This way Dusclops only has to eat Rock Slides instead of STAB Earthquakes or "STAB Fissures lol". I think Thief is more of the essence against non-OHKO Quick Clawers, such as Metagross, Hariyama, Ursaring, etc. And of course the Sheer Colders, no arguing about that.

The greatest threat is Explosion without a doubt! I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed too, because I thought Dusclops would protect us against them with some smart play/switching, but everything seems a little too risky indeed.

Hi everyone! I started playing Emerald again recently, so I popped into this thread to see if my Battle Factory record still stands, only to find that it was removed! Then I realized I had uploaded the proof pics on my personal website which I've since shut down. It's actually nice that the mods are so diligent here! I've reuploaded the photos on Google Drive, so here's a copy of my original post with updated proof links!

I'd like to share my new record of 84 wins in the Battle Factory Open Level Singles!
Took me all day yesterday to get this done!
Proof

Some Highlights:
- In one of the last rounds I got a starting lineup with two Latios sets. One was shiny and one was normal! Blew my mind! Ended up going with the normal one because they were identical except for the shiny one having dragon claw and the normal one having psychic. It wouldn't let me use both.
- Also got two venusaurs in an earlier starting lineup.
- "Your opponent specializes in the use of the water type!" then the game proceeds to give me 4 fire type pokemon in the starting draft. Still managed to win.
- Kangaskhan's focus band activating 4 times in a row cost me a Latios and almost killed my Suicune.
- Beating Noland 4 times in 1 run!

Strategy:
- There are certain pokemon that I consider high tier and am always looking to get my hands on. In no particular order: Salamence, Latios, Gengar, Suicune, Metagross, Blissey, Snorlax, Heracross, Starmie, Slaking, Zapdos.
- I won't sacrifice the team's type synergy just to get a high tier pokemon. It's especially important that the team can't be swept by any one attack type, but also important to have a good diversity of attacking moves.
- I prefer to have a fast sweeper in the first position, with two bulkier boosting pokemon in back, but obviously this is a bit flexible.
- I try to aim for a team with this sort of type layout: Dragon or Electric, Normal or Steel, Water.
- I didn't use a lookup table for the different sets, since I was playing on the go, but I have a general idea of what the good and bad sets are from playing so much. (I have over 2000 BP) There are terrible sets on some of the high tier pokemon. The worst sets are ones with 1 or no attacking moves, (Dragonite with only Hyper Beam? REALLY???) and sets which try to mess you up by attacking from the special side instead of from the physical side or vice versa. (Physical gengar, special aerodactyl, etc.) Although I did have a good run with special Salamence.
- The most important part of my strategy is that I design the starting team with an idea of what kind of pokemon I will be looking to swap in later. If you don't plan it out from the beginning, you can easily find yourself in a situation where you see a high tier pokemon, but can't take it without compromising your team's integrity. The factory tends to immediately punish such swaps.

Loss:
I lost in the first battle after selecting a new set of pokemon. The game legit stacked things against me. The only good sets I was offered were a Double Team Toxic Focus Punch Substitute Registeel (with leftovers!) and a Quick Claw Rock Slide Brick Break Tyranitar (with no EQ, DD, or recovery) so I grabbed those and led with a Fearow. Yes a FEAROW. Just so I could prevent a fighting type sweep and maybe get some chip damage to make the other teammate's jobs easier. The other options that I remember are a Hypno with a twistedspoon and no psychic STAB (facepalm) and a Nidoqueen which would have been equally wrecked by any EQ user. I remember thinking: "I'll be fine if I can make it through the first round without seeing Metagross. BAM. First battle leads with a Metagross. I tried in vain to afflict a status on it using Fearow's Tri Attack, then I got a double team up on Registeel hoping for some hax (was instead 2HKOd by EQ), then it KOd Tyranitar with Brick Break. Ah well. It was a good run anyway.

Thanks for reading! I can't believe there aren't any higher Factory streaks on here yet! Surely someone has gotten farther? I would love to make it to 100 wins just to show that it's possible. Maybe next time.

Hello again. Sadly my Battle Pike streak ends at 601 wins. I can't stretch how unlucky I have been in my last run. Each and every time I asked the girl about the room he responded with the: A trainer... Quote and each and every time I entered a room I faced a strong battle or a double battle. Not once, not twice but 6 times in a row!!! If my maths are correct this is (2/5)^6 = 0.004096. The losing battle was also pure @#$&. I had my Latios taken down and entered the battle with Metagross. He led with Moltres so I swapped to Blissey. His Moltres was a double team/Rest Moltres. I did managed to take it down after stalling his Fire blasts with Blissey (after a lot of misses) with 2 shadow balls from Metagross. His next Pokemon was a Crobat which I also took down with Metagross with 2 SB but left my Metagross at around 40%. Then he used Zapdos. I switched to Blissey to avoid being KOed with TBolt. He used TBolt and did little damage to Blissey. The he Drilled pecked...crit! And I was around 35%. Then he used Drilled peck again..crit!!!!!!! And since he outsped Metagross he won. This is so tilting really. I would have accepted a Freeze into a double battle into a loss. But winning 5 battles in a row, manage to turn a 2vs3 into a winning one to lose with 2 crits in a row this is such a middle finger.

I think will take a break from Pike after this...

IMG_20210408_005309.jpg

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I started playing Emerald again recently, so I popped into this thread to see if my Battle Factory record still stands, only to find that it was removed! Then I realized I had uploaded the proof pics on my personal website which I've since shut down. It's actually nice that the mods are so diligent here! I've reuploaded the photos on Google Drive, so here's a copy of my original post with updated proof links!

I'd like to share my new record of 84 wins in the Battle Factory Open Level Singles!
Took me all day yesterday to get this done!
Proof

Some Highlights:
- In one of the last rounds I got a starting lineup with two Latios sets. One was shiny and one was normal! Blew my mind! Ended up going with the normal one because they were identical except for the shiny one having dragon claw and the normal one having psychic. It wouldn't let me use both.
- Also got two venusaurs in an earlier starting lineup.
- "Your opponent specializes in the use of the water type!" then the game proceeds to give me 4 fire type pokemon in the starting draft. Still managed to win.
- Kangaskhan's focus band activating 4 times in a row cost me a Latios and almost killed my Suicune.
- Beating Noland 4 times in 1 run!

Strategy:
- There are certain pokemon that I consider high tier and am always looking to get my hands on. In no particular order: Salamence, Latios, Gengar, Suicune, Metagross, Blissey, Snorlax, Heracross, Starmie, Slaking, Zapdos.
- I won't sacrifice the team's type synergy just to get a high tier pokemon. It's especially important that the team can't be swept by any one attack type, but also important to have a good diversity of attacking moves.
- I prefer to have a fast sweeper in the first position, with two bulkier boosting pokemon in back, but obviously this is a bit flexible.
- I try to aim for a team with this sort of type layout: Dragon or Electric, Normal or Steel, Water.
- I didn't use a lookup table for the different sets, since I was playing on the go, but I have a general idea of what the good and bad sets are from playing so much. (I have over 2000 BP) There are terrible sets on some of the high tier pokemon. The worst sets are ones with 1 or no attacking moves, (Dragonite with only Hyper Beam? REALLY???) and sets which try to mess you up by attacking from the special side instead of from the physical side or vice versa. (Physical gengar, special aerodactyl, etc.) Although I did have a good run with special Salamence.
- The most important part of my strategy is that I design the starting team with an idea of what kind of pokemon I will be looking to swap in later. If you don't plan it out from the beginning, you can easily find yourself in a situation where you see a high tier pokemon, but can't take it without compromising your team's integrity. The factory tends to immediately punish such swaps.

Loss:
I lost in the first battle after selecting a new set of pokemon. The game legit stacked things against me. The only good sets I was offered were a Double Team Toxic Focus Punch Substitute Registeel (with leftovers!) and a Quick Claw Rock Slide Brick Break Tyranitar (with no EQ, DD, or recovery) so I grabbed those and led with a Fearow. Yes a FEAROW. Just so I could prevent a fighting type sweep and maybe get some chip damage to make the other teammate's jobs easier. The other options that I remember are a Hypno with a twistedspoon and no psychic STAB (facepalm) and a Nidoqueen which would have been equally wrecked by any EQ user. I remember thinking: "I'll be fine if I can make it through the first round without seeing Metagross. BAM. First battle leads with a Metagross. I tried in vain to afflict a status on it using Fearow's Tri Attack, then I got a double team up on Registeel hoping for some hax (was instead 2HKOd by EQ), then it KOd Tyranitar with Brick Break. Ah well. It was a good run anyway.

Thanks for reading! I can't believe there aren't any higher Factory streaks on here yet! Surely someone has gotten farther? I would love to make it to 100 wins just to show that it's possible. Maybe next time.
Your post being removed also could have something to do with your post looking as if RNG manipulation was used to influence starting picks/first opponent. Did you? You have previously posted about knowing how to manipulate Factory starting picks, albeit months after the 84 streak post. It would be helpful to see some proof (or more details) about your starting draft and swap history. The fact that you don't use a lookup table or damage calculator seemed odd as well since scouting sets is very hard without it. I also don't think the "strategy" section of your post was very concrete either. For instance, I would have expected a more thorough teambuilding strategy or longer list of "high tier pokemon". I also found it odd that you took a Registeel with Toxic, and didn't reconize that it loses to poison and steel types, making Nidoqueen (barring set 1) a great partner. I was hoping to see some sort of streak in level 50 to inspire confidence in your ability, but alas there's only the one short attempt.

None of this is inherently damning. The fact that your Round 13 starting picks aren't ideal and that you had over 30 swaps points to it being a legit streak. Though you could have just misclicked on the wrong seed for an ideal team.

So I'm torn. I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'm sure you don't have any evidence on hand from years ago or else you would have included it in the original post. You mentioned being away for awhile, are you aware of Kommo-o's moderator post about removing RNG manipulated streaks from the factory leaderboard?

Your post being removed also could have something to do with your post looking as if RNG manipulation was used to influence starting picks/first opponent. Did you? You have previously posted about knowing how to manipulate Factory starting picks, albeit months after the 84 streak post. It would be helpful to see some proof (or more details) about your starting draft and swap history. The fact that you don't use a lookup table or damage calculator seemed odd as well since scouting sets is very hard without it. I also don't think the "strategy" section of your post was very concrete either. For instance, I would have expected a more thorough teambuilding strategy or longer list of "high tier pokemon". I also found it odd that you took a Registeel with Toxic, and didn't reconize that it loses to poison and steel types, making Nidoqueen (barring set 1) a great partner. I was hoping to see some sort of streak in level 50 to inspire confidence in your ability, but alas there's only the one short attempt.

None of this is inherently damning. The fact that your Round 13 starting picks aren't ideal and that you had over 30 swaps points to it being a legit streak. Though you could have just misclicked on the wrong seed for an ideal team.

So I'm torn. I'd love to hear what you have to say. I'm sure you don't have any evidence on hand from years ago or else you would have included it in the original post. You mentioned being away for awhile, are you aware of Kommo-o's moderator post about removing RNG manipulated streaks from the factory leaderboard?
Ah, I wasn't aware of Kommo-o's post about removing RNG streaks. I just assumed it was an issue with the proof. I can certainly understand all of the points you've made, and I'll try my best to address them, though as you've said there's not much I can do without a recording of the streak. :/

I didn't use any RNG manipulation in the run. My interest in RNG manipulation for factory runs started after I completed that run, as I figured it would be the most likely way to reach a 100 win streak, which was my ultimate goal. I was working on a program for calculating the initial pokemon for factory runs, but lost interest before finishing it. (I got frustrated implementing the pokemon search and set search features, and it's difficult to know with 100 percent certainty that the program is working properly, among other things) I haven't done a single factory run with RNG manipulated picks, only a couple of test runs of the first round while trying to see if the program worked. (I couldn't tell)

The reason I don't use lookup tables or calculators is because I typically play on a Gameboy Micro at work. (best covert game system ever!) With the run I posted I had played all day at work and then came home to finish up the run on the Gameboy Player because I knew it was something special. You can see the gameboy player frame in the screenshots. I used to use a pad and keep track of things, but it just made me hate playing, so I've decided to just play naturally and hope I get lucky. This run was VERY lucky. I remember almost losing several times, but still somehow pulling it out through sheer blind luck. I mentioned a couple such moments in the original post. I wrote that post the night I finished the streak and tried to recall everything I could, then I looked it over and posted it the next day. I know Factory streaks are difficult to verify, that's why I tried to recall as many details as I could. At the time of my record streak I had been averaging about one long factory streak a day, and I've beaten Noland Gold several times. Most streaks make it to Noland Silver, but many end shortly afterward.

I really hate level 50 because of the pitifully weak pokemon in the first few rounds, and the sudden jump in difficulty once the game starts pulling from the actual good pokemon list almost always kills me. I also have a rule of thumb for level 100, which is that stats that are around 300+ are considered "good". I have a pretty good understanding of the level 100 speed tiers as well from my Tower and Palace streaks, while level 50 is like the wild west to me.

I didn't really intend for my "high tier" list to be exhaustive, just illustrative of my general strategy. In my losing team, I probably figured that Tyranitar could handle poison types with Rock Slide and Steels with Brick Break. (Though Gengar is really the only poison type that scares me, especially when running a Registeel) That's precisely why enemy Metagross was the worst case scenario, as it resists both of TTar and Registeel's attacks and could KO both Registeel and Tyranitar with EQ or Brick Break (And also Tyranitar with Meteor Mash) Even Skarmory would have been easy to deal with as it lacks powerful attacking moves and could be worn away. I almost never pick Nidoqueen or Nidoking in the factory because their sets are mostly garbage and they're weak to too many common powerful attacks. Surf, Ice Beam, EQ, Psychic...

I think that's all of the explanation I can muster for tonight, but I'd be happy to talk about it more, as this 84 Factory streak is my proudest achievement in Pokemon Emerald. I also have a 198 streak in Battle Tower Open Level Singles that I never posted because someone else posted a much more optimized version of my team, which was Alakazam Trickband to Pressure Stall Raikou to Dragon Dance Tyranitar. (Whoever it was replaced the Raikou with a Baton Pass Zapdos, which I'm still kinda salty about because there's no practical way to get a Baton Pass Zapdos with perfect IVs, so they RNGed one in an emulator, which is basically cheating) Anyway, I also have a 53 streak in the palace, if that's any indication of my skill level and blind luck lol.

Ah, I wasn't aware of Kommo-o's post about removing RNG streaks. I just assumed it was an issue with the proof. I can certainly understand all of the points you've made, and I'll try my best to address them, though as you've said there's not much I can do without a recording of the streak. :/

I didn't use any RNG manipulation in the run. My interest in RNG manipulation for factory runs started after I completed that run, as I figured it would be the most likely way to reach a 100 win streak, which was my ultimate goal. I was working on a program for calculating the initial pokemon for factory runs, but lost interest before finishing it. (I got frustrated implementing the pokemon search and set search features, and it's difficult to know with 100 percent certainty that the program is working properly, among other things) I haven't done a single factory run with RNG manipulated picks, only a couple of test runs of the first round while trying to see if the program worked. (I couldn't tell)

The reason I don't use lookup tables or calculators is because I typically play on a Gameboy Micro at work. (best covert game system ever!) With the run I posted I had played all day at work and then came home to finish up the run on the Gameboy Player because I knew it was something special. You can see the gameboy player frame in the screenshots. I used to use a pad and keep track of things, but it just made me hate playing, so I've decided to just play naturally and hope I get lucky. This run was VERY lucky. I remember almost losing several times, but still somehow pulling it out through sheer blind luck. I mentioned a couple such moments in the original post. I wrote that post the night I finished the streak and tried to recall everything I could, then I looked it over and posted it the next day. I know Factory streaks are difficult to verify, that's why I tried to recall as many details as I could. At the time of my record streak I had been averaging about one long factory streak a day, and I've beaten Noland Gold several times. Most streaks make it to Noland Silver, but many end shortly afterward.

I really hate level 50 because of the pitifully weak pokemon in the first few rounds, and the sudden jump in difficulty once the game starts pulling from the actual good pokemon list almost always kills me. I also have a rule of thumb for level 100, which is that stats that are around 300+ are considered "good". I have a pretty good understanding of the level 100 speed tiers as well from my Tower and Palace streaks, while level 50 is like the wild west to me.

I didn't really intend for my "high tier" list to be exhaustive, just illustrative of my general strategy. In my losing team, I probably figured that Tyranitar could handle poison types with Rock Slide and Steels with Brick Break. (Though Gengar is really the only poison type that scares me, especially when running a Registeel) That's precisely why enemy Metagross was the worst case scenario, as it resists both of TTar and Registeel's attacks and could KO both Registeel and Tyranitar with EQ or Brick Break (And also Tyranitar with Meteor Mash) Even Skarmory would have been easy to deal with as it lacks powerful attacking moves and could be worn away. I almost never pick Nidoqueen or Nidoking in the factory because their sets are mostly garbage and they're weak to too many common powerful attacks. Surf, Ice Beam, EQ, Psychic...

I think that's all of the explanation I can muster for tonight, but I'd be happy to talk about it more, as this 84 Factory streak is my proudest achievement in Pokemon Emerald. I also have a 198 streak in Battle Tower Open Level Singles that I never posted because someone else posted a much more optimized version of my team, which was Alakazam Trickband to Pressure Stall Raikou to Dragon Dance Tyranitar. (Whoever it was replaced the Raikou with a Baton Pass Zapdos, which I'm still kinda salty about because there's no practical way to get a Baton Pass Zapdos with perfect IVs, so they RNGed one in an emulator, which is basically cheating) Anyway, I also have a 53 streak in the palace, if that's any indication of my skill level and blind luck lol.
Haha that Zapdos guy was me and yeah, that Zapdos is pretty hard to get legitimately. Meanwhile, that team is really outdated and certainly not one of the better Trick teams available anymore. All of Ninetales GrudgeTrick, Grumpig+Dugtrio, Zam/Grumpig+Skarmory and even Grumpig + 2 sweepers such as Gyarados and Registeel, are far better.

I think my rng manipulated factory run was what inspired the ban once ownership of the thread switched to Kommo-o. IMO Zsy6's run is legit.
  • 12 rounds and 38 swaps averages to a little over 2 swaps a round. As you can see in my rng'd run, getting to influence your starting picks brings the average way down. 38 actually seems to be above-average compared to other high level runs.
  • It was done on retail. My run was also on retail and it's hard to be consistent. One of the biggest red flags would be an emulator run with a small number of swaps since the tools for frame-perfect inputs are built into most emulators.
  • They seem to have a good amount of game sense. The factory tests that more than anything else.
The key reasoning behind the ban (that I 100% agree with) is that rng manipulation fundamentally changes the dynamic of the factory. You don't need game sense or swapping so it simply isn't fair to put manipulated runs on a leaderboard with legit runs.

PS - Zsy6 you might like the details I shared in this follow-up post for my rng'd run because it backs up your theory. Once you get to 49+ wins the starting picks are drawn from the same pool each time. If you found a good set of frames you could very easily blow past 100. It wouldn't be the battle factory anymore but it would make for a crazy tool-assisted streak.

Hey there, just to avoid any confusion or any misclarification, the main reason why your streak was removed was because the proof pictures of your streak were no longer available and the site was taken down. While I did had my doubts on whether you actually RNG abused this streak as JoebertIII pointed out, I don't really have evidence of this although it would've been normal to raise some suspicion considering that you later expressed interest on making a program that would allow you to RNG abuse Factory. When Golden Blissey owned the thread, there was no rule regarding RNG'd streaks so I can't blame you for anything or think there was any deceitful intention on it. Once I got ownership, I did made a post explaining why I was removing RNG'd streaks from the leaderboard since I felt they don't really deserve to share records with those who were not RNG abused.

Since you uploaded the pictures again and considering what Huff_J7 posted about elevations on Factory, I'll put up your streak again Zsy6. It will take a while for me to update the thread since I had been busy with irl stuff as of lately.

I will never complain about RNG in the Battle Frontier again.

After years of trying on and off, I finally got my gold symbol in the Emerald Factory. Noland's final pokemon was Dewgong3, who missed all ten of its OHKO moves against my Milotic3 while I failed to rack up damage with Surf/Blizzard. Watching it struggle to death while Milo recovered from leftovers might just be the most satisfying thing I've ever witnessed. Truly a fitting end to my least favorite facility.

For anyone else trying to get the gold symbol, I found Lvl 50 to be the way to go. In Rounds 5+ on Open Level, pokemon of any variant can appear, whereas in Lvl 50 you'll always know for certain which set you're facing through the second Noland fight. Even if the earlier rounds are trash on Lvl 50, having that extra certainty in the later rounds totally pays of imo.

Hey Actaeon, I'd love it if you could elaborate on what the "state of the art" for Trick teams is. My particular interest is "teams that require the least amount of thought" and that's why I went with the Alakazam - Raikou - Tyranitar combo. Because I'm usually out when I play, I don't really want to have to look up sets constantly. I would think that most other teams would require a bit more consideration to use, since they'd be lacking the speed advantage of Alakazam and Raikou, but I'd love to be surprised!

Thanks for your consideration Kommo-o ! If I get another long streak going I'll try to document it better. I think Huff_J7 is right that the swap number is a pretty solid indicator of not RNGing the run. The 78 run done by JoebertIII only had 28 swaps, which is quite a bit behind my 38 swaps at a streak of 84, as I only completed 6 more battles but had 10 more swaps. You'd have to be pitifully bad at RNGing to still swap that much. My strategy is to build an ideal team and then stick with it for the rest of the round, so some rounds the starting lineup is great and I only swap maybe once, while in other rounds I swap right up to the end trying to fill in the team's weaknesses. In any case, thank you again for the effort you put into diligently managing this thread!

Hey Actaeon, I'd love it if you could elaborate on what the "state of the art" for Trick teams is. My particular interest is "teams that require the least amount of thought" and that's why I went with the Alakazam - Raikou - Tyranitar combo. Because I'm usually out when I play, I don't really want to have to look up sets constantly. I would think that most other teams would require a bit more consideration to use, since they'd be lacking the speed advantage of Alakazam and Raikou, but I'd love to be surprised!
Allright, here are a couple of teams that satisfy the criterium of not having to look up sets a lot, especially if you get used to what the team finds hard and easier to handle. They might not be the most dependable, but they're still good for 200+ IMO, probably more if you get lucky.

Stantler @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 172 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Sand-Attack
- Thief
- Skill Swap

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 140 HP / 156 Def / 212 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Surf

Delibird @ Salac Berry
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Endure
- Icy Wind
- Thief
- Toxic
What can I say? If you don't use Delibird in the last spot you deserve to lose. It's not even bad tbh, and saved me numerous times against lead Jolteon/Espeon/Sceptile critting through Stantler, stealing Quick Claws and Toxicing DT Suicunes and Ludicolos. Oh yeah Vital Spirit is funny against Hypnosis/Dream Eater sets.

Grumpig (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 212 HP / 204 Def / 92 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Trick
- Skill Swap
- Torment
- Icy Wind

Mawile (M) @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 52 SpD / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Torment
- Tickle
- Mud-Slap

Salamence (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 52 HP / 204 Atk / 236 Def / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Earthquake
Strong and extremely funny with Mawile being the one that solves the Double-Edge problem to an extent. Harder to use because of Torment. Gyarados is a very worthy replacement for Salamence; reduces hax against stuff like QC Whiscash or Focus Band Blastoise while sweeping.

Still really solid

Grumpig (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 16 SpD / 92 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 SpA
- Trick
- Skill Swap
- Torment
- Icy Wind

Dugtrio (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 Def / 36 SpD / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
IVs: 5 HP, make sure you get exactly 179 HP using extra EVs if needed (take out of SpD)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Charm
- Fissure

Latias (F) @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA / 176 Spe
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Dragon Claw
Enjoy setting up against really strong Struggles, turning Tyranitar's Sand Stream against it, and OHKOing Double Team Leftovers Registeel with Fissure if you get stuck. Loads of fun. The main reason for Dugtrio is to prevent Double-Edgers from KO'ing themselves too soon with recoil damage.

Gyarados @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SpA)
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Torment
- Roar
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 236 HP / 4 Atk / 12 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)
- Curse
- Substitute
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass (No PP Ups)

Aerodactyl @ White Herb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA)
- Aerial Ace
- Ancientpower
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge
Intimidate usually makes Umbreon unbreakable for free, especially combined with Torment. Roar out problems and HP[Flying] Fighters, and you should be fine. The recipient is variable. Agility/DE/BB/HPGhost Hitmonchan gets special mention because it literally OHKOs everything at +6 Attack. Aero doesn't need Agility though, so it can usually keep its Substitute. No Hidden Power is used because AA is better with this coverage. HP[Rock] would lower Speed.

Will add some more tonight, including Dugtrio Trick and some others.

Last edited:
Thanks for your consideration Kommo-o ! If I get another long streak going I'll try to document it better. I think Huff_J7 is right that the swap number is a pretty solid indicator of not RNGing the run. The 78 run done by JoebertIII only had 28 swaps, which is quite a bit behind my 38 swaps at a streak of 84, as I only completed 6 more battles but had 10 more swaps. You'd have to be pitifully bad at RNGing to still swap that much. My strategy is to build an ideal team and then stick with it for the rest of the round, so some rounds the starting lineup is great and I only swap maybe once, while in other rounds I swap right up to the end trying to fill in the team's weaknesses. In any case, thank you again for the effort you put into diligently managing this thread!
No worries! All I'm going to ask you is if you can update your original post with the new streak pictures you linked so I can re-add it to the leaderboard. Please let me know when you're done and I'll try to add it whenever I have a chance.

Last edited:
I've continued my Battle Pyramid streak to a new record of 280 floors. I also recorded the last 7 floors and the fight against Brendan's gold symbol team.

Edit: Not sure what's going on at the beginning when it looks like a rewind. I cut the footage at about that mark to have 2x speed for the team summary and 4x for the gameplay, so it's most likely an editing error. I absolutely do not use rewinds or save states on my main save file.

Here's a re-upload with no editing.
Slaking ./ani_e_289.gif
Latios ./ani_e-S_381.gif
Blissey ./ani_e_242.gif

Slaking ./ani_e_289.gif

"monke"
Slaking @ Choice Band (Jolly)
Double-Edge / Shadow Ball / Earthquake / Hyper Beam
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe [167 Speed]
IVs: Perfect

Latios ./ani_e-S_381.gif

"Latios-Z"
Latios @ Lum Berry (Timid)
Psychic / Dragon Claw / Thunderbolt / Calm Mind
IVs: Perfect (from R/S battle tower)

Blissey ./ani_e_242.gif

Blissey @ Leftovers (Bold)
Seismic Toss / Toxic / Soft-boiled / Aromatherapy
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Def / 84 Spe [86 Speed]
IVs: 0 Atk
Credits: BIG thanks to the Bank of Hoenn for providing this Blissey, and to @Runeblade14's Pike Blissey for the EVs.
bag.png
The Slaking and Latios from my previous team were both swapped out for +Speed nature versions. I think the tradeoff in power is well worth it, and for Slaking I've fully invested in speed to get the chance for speed ties in the 167 tier. I tried switching out Latios for a timid Gengar with Psychic/Fire punch / Thunderbolt / Ice punch for a steel round but Gengar ate up a LOT of resources and just wasn't worth it.

As for changes in technique: I started having Blissey heal herself in a wild battle instead of using hyper potions on her. It's kind of an obvious strategy but it took me a while to trust her to survive. I also relied on running from battle a lot more, despite posting a while back about how unreliable it is. Failing to flee gives a decent bonus to future flee chances. With Slaking as lead I'll often try for the OHKO and flee on every turn afterward (unless the wild Pokémon isn't a huge threat).

I dumped my max elixirs for fluffy tails, then swapped fluffy tails for a shell bell. I'm still not really sure how to fill that last item slot since the shell bell isn't very useful. Hyper potions and Blissey cover my HP-restoring needs. Ethers and good teambuilding keep PP in good shape. Lum berries and Blissey cover status ailments. Full restores, revives, max revives, and sacred ashes cover my worst case scenarios. Choice band and leftovers are vital held items. Then one extra slot. Maybe I should switch to leppa berries or a boost item? X-defends could help Latios and Blissey in 2v2 battles.

Overall I'm pretty happy with this team. It certainly works! Steel and self-destruct rounds are still a pain but it's a manageable pain.

Attachments

Last edited:
Ok, time to explain I got my Hasty Latios from the R/S Battle Tower.

I was able to use a variety of resources to reverse-engineer the game's process for generating trainers and Pokémon for the R/S Battle Tower. I then got everything working in Excel and made the spreadsheet attached to this comment.

You can use the filters on the Pokémon tab to narrow down a specific Pokémon with a specific nature. Then you need to find a trainer that is compatible (the cluster of trainers from 2630-2633 work for the Lati's) and subtract 695 frames to get the frame to finish the lobby dialogue on (1935-1938 for the cluster mentioned). After this you have to do manual testing in something like VBA to determine the right frame to spawn your chosen Pokemon in slot 2 instead of slot 1 (slot 1 is generated 5 frames after initiating battle).

It's not perfect but it is functional. Don't know if any of y'all are able to benefit from this, but just getting the knowledge out into the wild makes me happy.

Attachments

Ok, time to explain I got my Hasty Latios from the R/S Battle Tower.

I was able to use a variety of resources to reverse-engineer the game's process for generating trainers and Pokémon for the R/S Battle Tower. I then got everything working in Excel and made the spreadsheet attached to this comment.

You can use the filters on the Pokémon tab to narrow down a specific Pokémon with a specific nature. Then you need to find a trainer that is compatible (the cluster of trainers from 2630-2633 work for the Lati's) and subtract 695 frames to get the frame to finish the lobby dialogue on (1935-1938 for the cluster mentioned). After this you have to do manual testing in something like VBA to determine the right frame to spawn your chosen Pokemon in slot 2 instead of slot 1 (slot 1 is generated 5 frames after initiating battle).

It's not perfect but it is functional. Don't know if any of y'all are able to benefit from this, but just getting the knowledge out into the wild makes me happy.
Just to add, there is a way to RNG a Latios without relying on glitches by following the steps on this page:

https://digiex.net/threads/pokemon-...wnload-ready-to-distribute-on-emulator.15233/

Basically, you download a special version of VBA that supports E-reader connectivity and download an E-reader ROM (not linking for obvious reasons). You download the E-reader save file provided on this page and link with your R/S save file (You need to have Mystery Events unblocked). Once the connection is successful and the ticket is sent, the only thing you have to do is claim it by speaking to Norman. However, to trigger the event in Lilycove, you must beat the Elite Four and caught the roaming Lati@s in your save file. The best part is that this Latios is legitimate and it can transfer into future generations without any issues. The save file used to redeem an Eon Ticket can also mix records with Emerald and send the ticket to that game as well.

Updated this post with Dugtrio on Level 97 and a team that passes Curses to a White Herb user, a cheap but effective strategy utilized on Mono Dark but improved without the monotype restriction.

All of the team require almost no skill/knowledge at all and still reach high numbers provided you dont get too unlucky early on.

On Mawile Trick, the classic replacement for Mawile used to be Ninetales of course :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)